Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings (102863 Views)

INEC Releases Statistics Of PVC Collected In All 36 States And FCT / Jonathan Vs Buhari: How They Stand In 36 States, FCT - PUNCH / List Of Senatorial Candidates For The 36 States And FCT And Their QUALIFICATION (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by funmeme(f): 5:56pm On Jan 31, 2013
Educative,informative and interesting... Thanks iyani something

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by chiboy11(m): 6:00pm On Jan 31, 2013
So wonderful

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 31, 2013
@0P weldone and great work.

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by omoodeogere(m): 6:09pm On Jan 31, 2013
ogun 4lyf

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by obicentlis: 6:10pm On Jan 31, 2013
Imo

Ideato

Umuobom

Amaiyi.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by PosCaricature: 6:12pm On Jan 31, 2013
Great Edolites in the house?

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by kjhova(m): 6:17pm On Jan 31, 2013
The origin of names (etimology) can be such refreshing work to read about. You will quickly discover that many names and emblems which people cherish so much today was handed down to them by former enemies (or outsiders).
E.g. Oyo (or Oyeo) is generally regarded as an old Nupe term for this southern kingdom which originally referred to itself as Katunga;
Bini (or Ubini, Ibinu etc) is probably a Katunga term for Edo kingdom which actually referred to itself as Igodomigodo and its people as Iduu;
Lagos is an anglicised form for the portuguese Lago. Even the term Eko is an Igodomigodo term meaning camp (for thier slaving warriors domiciled there at some point). Nobody seem to remember what the original Ekos call themselves; Badagry is an anglicised corruption of Agbada-Igi. Interesting, really! Ijesha is arguably an Oyo/Ibadan term meaning ije-orisha (food for the deities); Ibadan itself being an Oyo term for Iba-Adan (War Camp).
Please note however that in etimology of place names, every existing opinion often have a counter-opinion.

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by bluebros: 6:24pm On Jan 31, 2013
OYO STATE It was named after the Old Oyo Empire, one of the strongest in Africa.
Now a much smaller kingdom, Oyo is headed by the Alaafin (the
Owner of the Palace). Old Oyo was known as Katunga and is now a
tiny location along the Kwara-Oyo border (a nice place for historical
excursion if you ask me). The exact meaning of Oyo itself is shrouded
in so much controversy, some accounts even suggest that the name was a foreign word imposed by the Nupe warrior king, Tsoede, when
he conquered the Old Oyo Empire. And that's where it gets murky.

OYO STATE It was named after the Old Oyo Empire, one of the strongest in Africa.
in so much controversy, some accounts even suggest that the name was a foreign word imposed by the Nupe warrior king, Tsoede, when

Well, i ponder on creation of Oyo Ile as a result of northward conquest because of it's significant history as prominent warrior town resident for early Are Ona Kakanfos. Much more it's relation with Ife which happen to be ancestral home of Yorubas. Oyo Ajaka is related with Oranyan who went northward from, pahaps, Ile Ife but a source(Obaro Ikime: Groundwork..page127) pointed out that it was King of Borgu(Bariba) that gave him the land.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by sessydoo(m): 6:28pm On Jan 31, 2013
Wowwww this is really deep, educative n insightfull.
kudos@iyaniwura

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by esikpogho: 6:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
edo state have one ancestral home [Benin]EDO STATE is the only state in the nation that was not name after River or shrine,but after a person.the only state that can be best describe as family state were every one are from one ancestor.

2 Likes

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nightshift(m): 6:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
Coal City State: Dedication + Competence Redefined , aka ***** Isi Mmiri Ndigbo

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 31, 2013
reppin Anambra state!!!

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by misslaw(f): 6:37pm On Jan 31, 2013
THE MOST AMAZING ND ENCHANTIN TRIBE *****kwara state *****
nice 1iyaniwura
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by vision2050: 6:38pm On Jan 31, 2013
i clap for you
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by solomon111(m): 6:41pm On Jan 31, 2013
Nice thread.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by MostIncredibleDFirst: 6:44pm On Jan 31, 2013
ERROR AND MISINFORMATION! Afikpo is not in Abia state. AKWA IBOM state means Almighty God State. Etc etc errors n misinformation all thro. Mr. Moderator delete dis nonsense 4m d frontpage
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by juman(m): 6:46pm On Jan 31, 2013
12. EDO STATE
Hmmmmn, Edo. Initially applied to mean the Bini people (they've always called themselves Edo or Iduu, after the progenitor of the Edo race) of the Benin Kingdom (which existed for about 1,000 years before the British conquered it in 1897), Edo today also means the land itself, the culture and the language. It also refers to the adjoining peoples, cultures and languages. The name appears in the royal title of the Oba of Benin, Omo N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo. I must chip it in here that many of the websites of Nigerian state governments were absolutely useless for any form of information gathering. Some were either propaganda pages for the governor or were just too bad -graphics and all. Some states did not even have any website! No online representation or presence at all! In the 21st century, this is a shame. But I must say that a few states have very outstanding websites.

@Bolded.
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nonybb: 6:49pm On Jan 31, 2013
Then wat is the meaning of Nigeria eventhough i have had that it came from the word "Niger" & "Area". Wat does the two name achieved in it actual final meaning? Some ppl said that the word "Nigeria" means darkness, how true is dat?
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2013
Afikpo is in Ebonyi not Abia...and methink ABIA is coined from ABA, BENDE, ISIALA NGWA and AROCHUKWU
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by uromicom: 6:52pm On Jan 31, 2013
NO STATE BETTER PASS EDO STATE FOR NAIJA HATERS CALL FOR WAR

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by wildchild1: 6:57pm On Jan 31, 2013
I be Omo Eko gan gan,Eko ile,shine your eyes,lagos city watch your side,dem say we too dey show awa T'eko....Badagry to be precised,go check the Lagos/Nigeria history cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by uromicom: 6:58pm On Jan 31, 2013
YORUBA...................THIEVES
HAUSA.................... TERRORIST
IGBO .................... FIGHT ENDLESS WAR OJUKU BECAME HERO FOR NOTHING
EDO ..................... HOME FOR CULTURE AND TRADITION WHERE NIAJA DERIVE THERE PINGIN ENGLISH FROM

I SEE EDO THE BEST
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nightshift(m): 6:58pm On Jan 31, 2013
canfrac: Afikpo is in Ebonyi not Abia...and methink ABIA is coined from ABA, BENDE, ISIALA NGWA and AROCHUKWU
So Umuahia went to exile ? Abia was adopted because there was no popular river in the state, and nobody wanted it named after 'waterside' in Enyimba City. Originally , Aba state was also considered ....
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by bumdish: 7:03pm On Jan 31, 2013
@Ìyániwúrà123. Wonderful job you did here.
I am billed to make a presentation about Nigeria to a group of academia here in Canada sometime in March and I have been thinking of something to present that would not readily be obvious to foreigners. Your write-up comes very handy. Thanks.Bookmarked.

2 Likes

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by batstan(m): 7:06pm On Jan 31, 2013
Revolva:
Wrong kogi has noting to do with hausa ok...just say kogi is a merge of different tribes ok and its main treasure its the confluence in lokoja..
Hey dude! Just remain in ur HOLSTER and learn. Kogi means river.... Gbam
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by wildchild1: 7:09pm On Jan 31, 2013
State: Lagos
LG: Badagry Local Govt
Hometown: Badagry
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Pstsmith(m): 7:10pm On Jan 31, 2013
ure wrong about Akwa Ibom.....its named after God
Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by didoburns(m): 7:15pm On Jan 31, 2013
one of my best ever read on nairalan

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by rennylaw(m): 7:19pm On Jan 31, 2013
Nice work and very educative. Keep d flag flying.

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 31, 2013
MostIncredible.DFirst:
ERROR AND MISINFORMATION! Afikpo is not in Abia state. AKWA IBOM state means Almighty God State. Etc etc errors n misinformation all thro. Mr. Moderator delete dis nonsense 4m d frontpage
u probably didn't read d thread b4 commenting. Afikpo ws part of abia state wen it ws creatd. It became a plc in ebonyi state wen it ws creatd in 1995. I'm 4rm Bende in Abia state n my village is very close 2 Afikpo. Get ur facts ryt b4 spilling rubbish. Nyc thread @op. I learnt alot.

2 Likes

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by mu2sa2: 7:25pm On Jan 31, 2013
emmke: Wow, the phrase "extremely beautiful" was used to describe my state.
Proudly Plateau.
The plains of plateau are the most beautiful places in nigeria. But sadly some humans hav turned this gift of nature into killing fields.

1 Like

Re: 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings by Agrika: 7:30pm On Jan 31, 2013
Anambra all the way

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Moment Oshiomhole Looked At The Bottle Water Thrown At Him At Ogun APC Rally / Photo: President Jonathan And Patience in their University days / The Jagaban Of Lagos, Tinubu, Dances Inside His Mansion. See Reactions (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.