Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,171 members, 7,825,658 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet (830 Views)

Protest In Kano As Muslim Youths Burn Court Over 'blasphemous Comment' / Ambode, Wike, Elrufai Leads In ANAP Opinion Polls / Arik Presents Ipad3 to Omojuwa, Elrufai's Mouth Piece And Chief Hacker(pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by HammedSodiqq: 12:22pm On Jan 31, 2013
While many are in a hurry to condemn, praise or exercise indifference on the blasphemous Elrufaic retweet, only few have taken time to dissect and understand the matter and the implication it bodes on the dynamism of our dear nation. For the purpose of clarity, I shall briefly look at the etymology of Blasphemy, and see if Elrufai's retweet qualifies to be so addressed.
Blasphemy, derived from the Latin "Blasphemia", is generally defined as the exhibition of irreverent behaviour or language towards God, religion or anything held sacred. It is a sensitive issue for many, especially those who have an unshakeable faith in their beliefs, religious leaders, holy book, places of worship and rituals.
Although some state laws are silence on the punishments to be awarded to those who blaspheme, some prescribe stiffer penalties. In Pakistan, for example, several sections of its Criminal Code comprise its blasphemy laws. Blasphemy merits the death penalty under Section 295C of the Pakistan Penal Code: use of derogatory remarks etc, in respect of the holy prophet : whoever By words, either spoken or written, or by visible representation, or by any implication, innuendo, or insinuation, directly or indirectly, defiles the sacred name of the holy ProphetMohammad (Peace be upon Him) shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life and shall also be liable to fine". God forbid that Elrufai should be killed.
But his action is blasphemous. My wife said one of the commandments of God says, thou shall not use the name of the lord thy God in vain( my wife is a Christian and I'm a Muslim). For a national figure like Elrufai not to know the implication of his action means he has been overrated all this while. Why crack a joke with the name of God? Why identify a Holy Being with infamity? No Nigerian is ignorant of our religious differences, and the ongoing bombings in the north, slaughtering of people, burning down of churches all in the name of jihad, or Islamization of Nigeria. We also have witnessed how Elrufai both in print and electronic media has challenged Govt in defense of Boko Haram all in th name of extrajudicial actions like demolition of houses use as bomb factory and killing of some sect members.
While some are driven to believe that Elrufai may be furthering jihadists Agenda, or working assiduously yet in a discreet manner, to position Islam for a take over, I shall exercise restraint for now.
Let us recall how Nigeria has suffered loses in the name of blasphemy. Sometimes ago, a cartoon published in far away Oyibo land generated riot all over nigeria. Again, a world beauty pageant that was supposed to be hosted in Nigeria was moved to London becos a journalist in appreciating their beauty made a recommendation. In Kano, a tailor who does not have a firm grasp of Hausa language wanted to mention dress, but erroneously said the prophet came to the market, leading to a terrible riot that consumed many.All these riots at different times claimed hundreds of lives, houses, other properties, not forgetting the number of churches that were burnt.
Elrufai was advised against his wish to apologise. In tendering an apology, he turned around to insult many. The next day, he published a piece titled "In Defense of Elrufai" where he was absolved of any blame. Haba!
I just Read CAN's articulated response to Elrufai. Mine is, like CAN pointed out, Muslim should learn from this. If it were to be my brothers, Nigeria for don scatter. Lives and properties for don loss.
For Elrufai and his friends that are supporting evil, Nigerians are watching. Rubbishing what people revere means you can do more against them if given the opportunity. Im not surprised that Dino has supported him, and Pastor Bakare has maintained silence. These are men who have sold their conscience desperately in search of political power. They've forgotten that it is God that gives power. Religion defines a man, especially when he recognizes how finite he is. Abusing people's religion is condemnable. Perhaps he has forgotten that these same people he is not respecting today, will determine his political future tommorow. Let's learn to respect everybody, their religion, and philosophy.

1 Like

Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by bubadaniel13: 12:36pm On Jan 31, 2013
I wish i could keep mute,but linking politics with people's believes is unpardonable,as much as most Nigerians have flaws, everyone believes in something.We are all witnesses on how religion has created mutual suspicion in the heterogeneous NIGERIA,the likes of El rufai must be rebuked at all cost for us to have a peaceful society,any attempt to justice the actions of El rufai is clear cut bigotry, he must live with the consequences of his actions.
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by apala911: 12:53pm On Jan 31, 2013
@ Poster........i quite no less concur with your submission......religion/ divinity is central to the existence of man, especially in a multi religious country such as ours. No responsible citizen let alone a self acclaimed social crusader should now joke with a sensitive issue that envelopes the being of man moreso considering the tension the country is witnessing security-wise as a result of Boko Haram insisting that the country should be islamized. El rufai simply goofed big time and people like him can further chat the course of turning Nigeria into a mono religious country if given the chance....we need to open our eyes and act wisely.
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by touchmehard: 2:10pm On Jan 31, 2013
HammedSodiqq: For a national figure like Elrufai not to know the implication of his action means he has been overrated all this while. Why crack a joke with the name of God? Why identify a Holy Being with infamity?

No! no!! no!!! I beg to disagree with you on the bolded part. As far as i am concerned, Elrufai is not a national figure. What made him a national figure? Is it because he was the FCT Minister? Does being a state governor make other past governors national figures? Not at all.
Or does being a Minister at one time or the other make former ministers national figures?
How many Nigerians even know Elrufai?
Do people in the rural areas all over the counrty know him? No!
Does his name ring a bell in all the nooks and crannies of the country? No!
Is his name a household name? No!
Do school pupils and students learn about him? No!
Is his name mentioned in school classes and lectures, like Wole Soyinka, etc? No!

Please please please he doesn't deserve such noble qualification for all i care. He is a merely a figure in politics and NOT A NATIONAL FIGURE. Thanks.

Im not surprised that Dino has supported him and Pastor Bakare has maintained silence. These are men who have sold their conscience desperately in search of political power. They've forgotten that it is God that gives power. Religion defines a man, especially when he recognizes how finite he is. Abusing people's religion is condemnable. Perhaps he has forgotten that these same people he is not respecting today, will determine his political future tommorow. Let's learn to respect everybody, their religion, and philosophy.

As far as politics is involved, some people would surely sell their birthrights for a plate of yam porridge shaa.
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by TheKingsQueen: 2:24pm On Jan 31, 2013
I'm thinking...now that Boko Haram's backbone seems to have been broken and they are considering a ceasefire, Mallam Elrufai could cunningly and subtly be looking for a way to still sustaining religious-intolerance and violence in this country. Maybe his mission might have been to have a retaliation from Christians, which could be in the form of another derogatory tweet against his religion. This he knows would surely ignite a riot.
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by Yaya6: 2:56pm On Jan 31, 2013
Maturity and dignified restraint of the Christian populace, in the face of inflammatory and provocative statements, should not be taken as license for unbridled assault. The like of Elrufai are hiding under the disguise of religious leader and dignified politician to lead Nigerians astray. His recent tweet has portrayed his hidden intentions to Nigerians. Its time for Nigerians to wake up in the face of deceitful citizens calling themselves leaders.
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by BeraBera(f): 4:21pm On Jan 31, 2013
I know that once the Government gives Elrufai one appointment now, he would start singing another tune.
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by yanni1(m): 4:27pm On Jan 31, 2013
Guess why I like El Rufai, Simple.... the guy is a hustler! After making a lot of noise in the social media and did not clinch any favorable response last yr, he was smart enough to start writing a book...now that is plan B, am sure he has plan C up his sleeve. Give him some credit...lol
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by Joeadamu86: 4:41pm On Jan 31, 2013
Forgive my manners, i don't think El rufai is properly brought up,if not,such display of arrogance that characterize his aggressive nature would have been minimal.Agreed he is frowning at some government policies typical of opposition everywhere in the world,but his penchant for relevance and power is making him loose completely.He is not a patriot he prefers Nigeria as a theater of war that was why he endorsed that tweet..no opposition leader in his right senses always attack the person of his opponent,but El Rufai and his cohorts on the social media who are always looking for cheap popularity are always vomiting falsehood which has led him to blaspheme..i pity him cos he needs therapy...
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by MurphyT1: 5:16pm On Jan 31, 2013
Elrufai is stl unrepentant, stl pressing home is previous tweet.

Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by Israelmossaic: 9:23am On Feb 01, 2013
Murphy T: Elrufai is stl unrepentant, stl pressing home is previous tweet.
I have refused to attack this man, but with this irresponsible behavior he is putting up, I'm afraid he is such a fool. If he thinks that islamizing this country is an agenda worth pursuing, he should remember that it is also an agenda that is capable of destroying him.
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by usmanyaro17: 10:13am On Feb 01, 2013
Murphy T: Elrufai is stl unrepentant, stl pressing home is previous tweet.
I knew it from the word go that this man called El rufai is unrepentant and a trouble maker,just look at how he is still endorsing Blasphemy,as a msulim i feel very ashamed of him, you cant be making illustrations,examples or bad comparisons with a sacred being,it is total unacceptable.The good news is that God always knows how to handle His things,El rufai will regret all of his actions..
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by KingSolomonI: 10:17am On Feb 01, 2013
Is El-Rufai presently in the country? does he have relatives that he listens to? I doubt. Why is he acting like he gat no family na? haba mana!!! Is it that so difficult to stick to politics without bringing in Religion? and he still carries traces of it in his tweet after his National blunder? Lord Have Mercy!
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by PrettyRita(f): 2:55pm On Feb 05, 2013
He is obviously a fool. Wonder if frustration torments
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by bodejohn(m): 7:13pm On Feb 05, 2013
While I hold no brief for El Rufai, I still think that there are some misplaced or transferred anger in the story of this tweet.
You guys should confirm the identity of the person who first made the tweet before El Rufai retweeted it.
The twit was from @Zeebook, same guy who wrote the Farouk and Otedola bible like story which all Christians and Muslims alike laughed about.
So we say that it is cool for a Christian to blaspheme the name of The Lord but not so for a Muslim.
I still repeat and stand to be corrected, a Muslim will never tweet the name of Allah in such manner.
If you call your father an animal, please do not fight the one that calls him a monkey!
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by Degis(m): 9:24pm On Feb 05, 2013
I pray that his cup may be filled up so quickly in order to effectively learn that when it comes to scared figures in religion, nobody should willfully denigrate them. True, He apologized but has he exhibited any remorse?, has he become more circumspect? and has he retraced his steps from such perfidy in the future?.

If he has friends and relatives, it is trite to reiterate that they should call him to order because no man will fight him neither will anyone plot his hurt or downfall but God will arise and defend His Holy name, which he has so maliciously maligned without provocation

For the Lord shall rise up as in mount Perazim, he shall be wroth as in the valley of Gibeon, that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his strange act. Now therefore be ye not mockers, lest your bands be made strong: for I have heard from the Lord God of hosts a consumption, even determined upon the whole earth. (Isaiah 28:21, 22 KJV)
Re: Concluding Elrufai's Blasphemous Tweet by Fellonigerians: 11:52pm On Feb 05, 2013
D day el-rufai runs for office is d day he realizes that he is just a noise maker that can never win an election! Even for councillorship.

(1) (Reply)

The Pope Resigns / FG Wants Boko Haram Insurgency To Continue – El Rufai / Would There Be Bombing In The North If A Northerner Was President?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.