Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,981 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago (19575 Views)

15 Years Of Google At A Glance!!!! / How Facebook Looked Like In 2004 Check The Image / What If Facebook Had Existed Hundreds Of Years Ago? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:08am On Feb 03, 2013
Go Back In Time: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago

The year was 1997. Apple was a struggling computer company, AOL was a booming Internet service provider, Microsoft was on the verge of releasing Windows 98, and the Web was a very different place. Through the magic of the Wayback Machine, we can travel back in time and revisit the past.

Take a walk down memory lane with us as we journey back in time and take a look at what the Web used to be. If you were there at the time, you’ll feel nostalgia – if not, you might be surprised just how far we’ve come. Feel free to follow the links and do your own exploring, even revisit your own old haunts and marvel at how dated they look.

2 Likes

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:09am On Feb 03, 2013
Apple

Apple, now the most valuable company in the world, was a struggling computer company back in the ‘90s. Apple’s website from 1997 seems like it’s about a completely different company from the Apple we know today. But even back then, Apple was pushing mobile devices – the eMate 300 in this case, which used Apple’s Newton platform. (It was a flop.)

1 Like

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:11am On Feb 03, 2013
Google

Google didn’t even have a website in 1997, so I’m cheating a bit here by showing you the page from 1998. The iconic, minimalistic design is present here. Here’s a little-known fact: the only reason Google started with such a simple design is because they didn’t have a webmaster or anyone that knew HTML.

1 Like

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Nobody: 12:13am On Feb 03, 2013
Some nigerian websites look like the old Apple website cheesy

Wow, takes me back to the time when I opened my first email account!

2 Likes

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:15am On Feb 03, 2013
Yahoo

1997 was the pre-Google era, so people used other search engines – like Yahoo. Yahoo was a pretty basic search engine and directory back then, nothing like the jam-packed front page it would become. But then, Yahoo just couldn’t be cluttered back then. It would have taken too long to download over those old dial-up modems.

1 Like

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:16am On Feb 03, 2013
Microsoft

Microsoft was working on Windows 98 at the time, and their “Where do you want to go today?” slogan featured prominently on their website. The top headline – “Internet Explorer 4.0 Debuts to Critics’ Applause” – seems hilarious in retrospect, with Internet Explorer ultimately becoming a drag on the Internet. At the time, Microsoft was actually trying – and they would keep developing IE until they released version 6, after which they stopped development, leaving the Web to stagnate.

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:18am On Feb 03, 2013
Amazon

I’m going to cheat again because the Wayback Machine doesn’t have any snapshots of Amazon.com from 1997, so here’s a screenshot from 1999. The old Amazon actually looks surprisingly modern. Of course, a big part of this is because Amazon’s website had changed so little until the recent redesign.

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:19am On Feb 03, 2013
AOL

AOL’s website really is a blast from the past. The front page advertises the beta release of AOL Instant Messenger, which ultimately became very popular. It even offers a free AOL trial, which brought many people online for the first time.

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:20am On Feb 03, 2013
GeoCities

If you were around in the ‘90s, I’m sure you remember GeoCities. Instead of creating blogs, people created their own personal websites – and they usually looked horrible. GeoCities was shut down in 2009, but it faded away and died many years before.

1 Like

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:21am On Feb 03, 2013
The New York Times

The New York Times shows us what a newspaper website used to be like. The website attempts to bring the familiar newspaper-style layout to a browser – luckily, newspaper websites have advanced since then. It’s also amusing to see that the early versions of Internet Explorer were considered “complex” in their time.

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:22am On Feb 03, 2013
AltaVista

If you weren’t using Yahoo, there’s a good chance you were using AltaVista. AltaVista now just redirects to Yahoo’s search results, and Yahoo is just a frontend to Microsoft’s Bing.

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:24am On Feb 03, 2013
The White House

The White House didn’t have a shiny website back then – the website’s front page was the “White House Virtual Library.” It offered the ability to browse and search a variety of documents. No splashy front page with the latest news and high-resolution images of the president here, just a glorified search engine with a background that made the content harder to read.

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Javanian: 12:25am On Feb 03, 2013
One day, someone will write about how ancient the Web looked back in 2013 and marvel at how backwards we were grin.

Were you online in 1997? Do you have any other interesting old websites to share? Leave a comment and let us know.

Source: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/time-10-big-websites-looked-15-years/

6 Likes

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by PrinceNN(m): 12:29am On Feb 03, 2013
Hmm...google home page didn't change much....visually....
Seriously who uses bing?? I used to use yahoo search but cmon...dat ws den
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Nobody: 12:36am On Feb 03, 2013
The only constant thing is change. We're All just trying to play catch up.

1 Like

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Affiliated(m): 11:43pm On Feb 07, 2013
Awesomeness smiley
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Nobody: 2:48am On Feb 08, 2013
Yahoo still looks like shoiiittttt
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by imperiouxx(m): 2:52am On Feb 08, 2013
The old yahoo page I know very well back in 2000.
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Nobody: 2:53am On Feb 08, 2013
They look like my 2013 website. Hehehehe cheesy

Does that mean am more than 15 yrs behind? undecided
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by ezeagu(m): 2:57am On Feb 08, 2013
Javanian: One day, someone will write about how ancient the Web looked back in 2013 and marvel at how backwards we were grin.

Were you online in 1997? Do you have any other interesting old websites to share? Leave a comment and let us know.

Source: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/time-10-big-websites-looked-15-years/

You don't have to wait, some sites already look ancient. *hint* *hint*
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by solid3(m): 3:06am On Feb 08, 2013
I just cld nt look pass this.
There is hope for me and my company to improve greatly just like them too.

*No time, coding cont . . . *
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Cuddlemii: 3:15am On Feb 08, 2013
@op, thank you so much for this information. It is very resourceful!
I have a project that involves a PowerPoint presentation & research.

Topic: Business Use of Web designing - Digital Apps and Best Practice, etc

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to add these pics to it smiley smiley smiley

I haven't started it though
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by honeric01(m): 3:17am On Feb 08, 2013
ezeagu:

You don't have to wait, some sites already look ancient. *hint* *hint*

koboland lipsrsealed
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Nobody: 3:24am On Feb 08, 2013
Wow Im old.. I remember these and the comment about the horrible WYSIWYG editing on geocities cracked me up grin grin grin
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by alexy147(m): 3:39am On Feb 08, 2013
Moral of the lesson: beautiful ones are not yet born..by next 10yrs from today,a lot of changes will be observed too..
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by babsomotde(m): 3:41am On Feb 08, 2013
All this really made me to flash back to 2000's Time changed so fast. God ! www.edubabs.com shocked
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by karlnyeno: 3:46am On Feb 08, 2013
Still in ma moda's womb
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Nobody: 3:50am On Feb 08, 2013
It shows Creativity never stops,what's best today,will become history tomorrow,and this is applicable to all spheres of life.
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by Nobody: 3:59am On Feb 08, 2013
its like they were all using one template. they all look alike .
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by supaeagles(m): 4:20am On Feb 08, 2013
@Javanian - great write up - do you like Java btw?
Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by babarazy: 5:07am On Feb 08, 2013
I prefer the old nairaland to this new one.
Nairaland 2010.

3 Likes

Re: How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago by firstolalekan(m): 5:12am On Feb 08, 2013
Amazon still try pass grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? / Facebook Approves ₦3.6B Annually For Zuckerberg's Family Security, Bodyguards / Fisayo Fosudo Interviews Arun Maini (MrWhoseTheBoss), UK's Biggest Tech Youtuber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.