Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,906 members, 7,841,402 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" (15529 Views)

Beyonce Vs Kelly Rowland: Who Looked Prettier While Pregnant? / There Is A New Nollywood Film Called Beyonce Vs Rihanna / Beyonce Vs Kelly Rowland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:06pm On Feb 08, 2013
i dont giv a sh****t ....divorce rate is very high nw, d change of name may not last 12mnths
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by NessaFresh(f): 3:09pm On Feb 08, 2013
Ok
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:09pm On Feb 08, 2013
i dont giv a sh***t..divorce rate is very high, the name change may not last 12mnths
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:16pm On Feb 08, 2013
@pro1: where is Mariah Carey today?? I'm sorry but nobody is searching for Mariah Carey, a legend?? Yes, but dead career wise!! (That's why she's a judge on American Idol). Look at Beyonce's audience though. Jeez, look at Beyonce's music, and tell me which doesn't have sexx appeal. Beyonce is no Adele, she is sexy and cool. No one wants a mummy Beyonce! Well my second comment on this thread addresses more, no time!

@pak: stop quoting me, like seriously dude. Stop unless u have something reasonable to say, STOP!!

You can always trust Nairalanders to go against anything that has to do with feminism. They do have a point! Do not come on interviews as Beyonce and say you want your music to empower women, bah blah about anthem for women around the world and then lose your identity when you get married. Abeg, go finish high school Beyonce!

2 Likes

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by bukatyne(f): 3:23pm On Feb 08, 2013
For Clarity, What is the definition of a feminist?
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 08, 2013
THE PROBLEM WITH FEMINISTS IS THE FEMINISTS. U SEE I HAVE INTERACTED WITH MANY OF THEM AND THEY ALL SEEM TO DIFFER ON THEIR DEFINITIONS OF WHAT (OR WHO) IS A TRUE FEMINIST. ONE THING STANDS OUT SHA FROM MY OBSERVATION A FEMINIST IS A FRUSTRATED WOMAN WHO HAS GRUDGES AGAINST MENFOLK COS I DONT SEE TOO MANY FEMINISTS WHO ARE HAPPILY MARRIED ( OR IN A HAPPY RELATIONSHI. AS FOR MRS. CARTER THE FEMINISTS SHOULD HAVE OBJECTED WHEN SHE BOUGHT HER HUSBAND A $2M CAR.

3 Likes

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 08, 2013
THE PROBLEM WITH FEMINISTS IS THE FEMINISTS. U SEE I HAVE INTERACTED WITH MANY OF THEM AND THEY ALL SEEM TO DIFFER ON THEIR DEFINITIONS OF WHAT (OR WHO) IS A TRUE FEMINIST. ONE THING STANDS OUT SHA FROM MY OBSERVATION A FEMINIST IS A FRUSTRATED WOMAN WHO HAS GRUDGES AGAINST MENFOLK COS I DONT SEE TOO MANY FEMINISTS WHO ARE HAPPILY MARRIED ( OR IN A HAPPY RELATIONSHIP). AS FOR MRS. CARTER THE FEMINISTS SHOULD HAVE OBJECTED WHEN SHE BOUGHT HER HUSBAND A $2M CAR.

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 08, 2013
She is embracing her new role in life as wife and mother, what is wrong with that? She isn't the same person she was 10 years ago.
A REAL feminist celebrates and accepts women doing what makes them feel best and grow as human beings, not just as owners of vagin.as
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 08, 2013
Interesting thread...*grabs pop corn* grin
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 08, 2013
bukatyne: For Clarity, What is the definition of a feminist?

Its when you have a pooshi and do not want to get f#ckd!. Yet you want to be addressed as a female. tongue

But then, don't life f#ck us all undecided

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by mystikal(m): 3:48pm On Feb 08, 2013
La Parisienne:

So what's your own ''intelligent reply'' to the topic? Just asking. . .

@Topic
Beyonce can do whatever she wants with her life, none of my business. I don't care for her life shows anyway, cos she's a terrible lip-syncher.

Btw, check out the videos she made with her husband. Then you'll have an idea of what their relationship seems like.

What do the videos say about their relationship? Honest question.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:50pm On Feb 08, 2013
~vicky~:
She is embracing her new role in life as wife and mother, what is wrong with that? She isn't the same person she was 10 years ago.
A REAL feminist celebrates and accepts women doing what makes them feel best and grow as human beings, not just as owners of vagin.as
That is debatable. What makes people feel best isn't necessarily what is best for them. A feminist advocates for equal rights for women. But then, I agree with your point, we are way past the stage of debating whether it is proper to bear your husband's name. Personally, I don't think embracing your husband's name makes you more of a wife or mother. I can also argue that embracing your husband's name does not make you lose your identity, rather it helps you create a family identity. It all depends on the individual.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Abrantie: 3:52pm On Feb 08, 2013
She's married and using her husband's name so why you vex?
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by nuorlah: 3:59pm On Feb 08, 2013
I am a front liner for women's rights but don't agree with poke nosing into other people's affair.

Feminism should be about allowing every woman achieve their greatest potentials rather than making a size fits all scenario of the accepted behavior of a modern woman.

An interesting thing about being a beyonce or someone like me is, you can get away with many things and she would this one.

Young women should strive for financial independence and can then make a decision to be a Mr.s or not in d future.

In Islam, it is even most encouraged that women keep their maiden names.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 08, 2013
What the hell is wrong in addressing beyonce as mrs carter ? If that's what she chose to answer,please let her be.She's married and entitled to use her husband's name whether the man uses it. Or not.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by SisiKill1: 4:13pm On Feb 08, 2013
Flytefalls: Eww. I'm not a feminist, just perplexed. Not sure why feminists would claim Beyonce as one of their own. What right do they have to be "disappointed" that she posed in GQ or took her husbands surname? Especially in a largely post-feminist western society. Beyonces voice is annoying but I admire her work ethic. Don't care much for her politics either. I was just wondering.

Thanks OD for questioning smiley... Unlike the hyena above you tongue

Not sure why anyone is making a big todo about this. . .it is HER name after all. However to say you don't why Feminists would claim Beyonce has theirs shows you don't know much about Beyonce and the message she's being peddling all these years. She built her career on the back of Feminism, got them all riled up with songs like Me, Myself and I, Yes, irreplaceable, If I Were A Boy, Single Ladies, Run The World, A Woman Like Me not to talk of the songs from her Destiny Child's days like Bills, Bills, Bills, Independent woman, Survivor etc. . .songs preaching girl power, independence and not needing men to be complete and all that shtick.

So to see her succumb to what in their books is the ultimate subjugation of women. . .bearing a man's name is like a betrayal.

Again, I don't see what the big deal is. . .heck, I've never understood why some people think what a celebrity does affects their own lives. This is why I will never get the logic behind celebrity endorsement, I buy or use something because I like it and if I don't even if all the celebs i like come together to endorse it, I still ain't buying. . .but that's a topic for another day.

4 Likes

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by mystikal(m): 4:18pm On Feb 08, 2013
Shollypopz: @pro1: where is Mariah Carey today?? I'm sorry but nobody is searching for Mariah Carey, a legend?? Yes, but dead career wise!! (That's why she's a judge on American Idol). Look at Beyonce's audience though. Jeez, look at Beyonce's music, and tell me which doesn't have sexx appeal. Beyonce is no Adele, she is sexy and cool. No one wants a mummy Beyonce! Well my second comment on this thread addresses more, no time!

@pak: stop quoting me, like seriously dude. Stop unless u have something reasonable to say, STOP!!

You can always trust Nairalanders to go against anything that has to do with feminism. They do have a point! Do not come on interviews as Beyonce and say you want your music to empower women, bah blah about anthem for women around the world and then lose your identity when you get married. Abeg, go finish high school Beyonce!

I maybe wrong, but I think what I got from Pro1 was that age and marriage reduces your sex appeal over time, so comparing Mariah carey with beyonce who is over 10 years older than Mrs Carter doesnt make sense to me.

@ topic, I never understand why so many women care about it. It's a choice (normally) between keeping your father's name of taking your husband's name, none of which are very forward thinking.

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by SisiKill1: 4:20pm On Feb 08, 2013
Shollypopz: I see where the feminists are coming from, Beyonce promoting Mrs Carter further proves women losing their identity when they get married. She is Mrs Carter quite alright, nobody is disputing that but Beyonce is a brand name, her identity, a representation of her achievements, artistry, and influencing power that she has been able to acquire throughout her working years. Losing Beyonce for Mrs Carter is a st*upid move!
The Mrs title is not an achievement but a title for addressing married women, nothing special. No one wants to see Mrs Carter, we all pay to watch and be entertained by Beyonce

Oooh! I shoulda read further down before commenting...would have saved myself a whole lotta typing!! cheesy cheesy
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 08, 2013
mystikal:

I maybe wrong, but I think what I got from Pro1 was that age and marriage reduces your sex appeal over time, so comparing Mariah carey with beyonce who is over 10 years older than Mrs Carter doesnt make sense to me.
You shouldn't have quoted me then!! HE was the one comparing her with Mariah Carey! Read slowly this time, u apparently need help comprehending comments. And really, u got the whole thing wrong! #no time!
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by drnoel: 4:25pm On Feb 08, 2013
[size=28pt]so what the big 4k[/size]
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 08, 2013
ItsModella:
That is debatable. What makes people feel best isn't necessarily what is best for them. A feminist advocates for equal rights for women. But then, I agree with your point, we are way past the stage of debating whether it is proper to bear your husband's name. Personally, I don't think embracing your husband's name makes you more of a wife or mother. I can also argue that embracing your husband's name does not make you lose your identity, rather it helps you create a family identity. It all depends on the individual.

agreed!
but is good to bear your husband name as far as you're married, am not against it either
well this system is not popular among we Nigerians back in the day a woman was legally, financially and socially considered the property of her husband and the property of her father before marriage!I think that it's entirely up to the couple what they decide to do - no one should judge, no matter what choice is made.

But, I've always been curious... there are so many children that have hyphenated names. When they go to get married, what happens? Will they change their name to their husbands name to keep it simple? Or will they just add their husbands name to end... ending up with a 3-part hyphenated name?
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 08, 2013
ItsModella:
Quite a funny sentence, aren't u contradicting urself?? When u create a new identity(family identity as u call it), what happens to the old one??
The difference between a regular jack and Beyonce is that the name Beyonce is an enterprise on its own, a brand name. In short according to the benefits that comes with having the name Beyonce endorse you or your product shows the name is a goodwill to the brand/organization Beyonce. It's equivalent to money basically. The question is why the need for a change of identity?? Why create a new one??

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Kpobaridaniel(m): 4:53pm On Feb 08, 2013
Well if any name she seems fit 4 her its up 2 her
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 08, 2013
~vicky~:

agreed!
but is good to bear your husband name as far as you're married, am not against it either
well this system is not popular among we Nigerians back in the day a woman was legally, financially and socially considered the property of her husband and the property of her father before marriage!I think that it's entirely up to the couple what they decide to do - no one should judge, no matter what choice is made.

But, I've always been curious... there are so many children that have hyphenated names. When they go to get married, what happens? Will they change their name to their husbands name to keep it simple? Or will they just add their husbands name to end... ending up with a 3-part hyphenated name?
Hyphenated names as in first names or last names? which one?
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 08, 2013
Shollypopz:
Quite a funny sentence, aren't u contradicting urself?? When u create a new identity(family identity as u call it), what happens to the old one??
The difference between a regular jack and Beyonce is that the name Beyonce is an enterprise on its own, a brand name. In short according to the benefits that come with having the name Beyonce endorse you or your product shows the name is a goodwill to the brand/organization Beyonce. It's equivalent to money basically. The question is why the need for a change of identity?? Why crate a new one??
Wasn't referring to Beyonce when I said that. My point is, some women do embrace their husband's name for the sake of family unity. It doesn't make them lose their identity or make them less than they were before they married. Identity in my opinion is more than a name. I do agree with your point though, that Beyonce is a mega entity. So also is the guy she's married to. She's been married for 4 years now, we've always known her to be Jay Z's wife. Bearing Mrs Carter shouldn't be a problem when considering that fact. But whatever, Beyonce and her managers know why they decided to change her brand name. I do see where you're coming from though, they've been married for a while, why now?
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by SisiKill1: 5:03pm On Feb 08, 2013
@ Shollypopz
Bravo!! kiss kiss
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 08, 2013
ItsModella:
Hyphenated names as in first names or last names? which one?
last
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 5:13pm On Feb 08, 2013
Sisi_Kill: @ Shollypopz
Bravo!! kiss kiss
cheesy kiss
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 5:16pm On Feb 08, 2013
~vicky~:

last
Well, they can drop their last name and answer their husbands' or they can drop one of the names in the hyphenated name and join it with their husbands'. They could also form a 3 part hyphenated name...it's all about choice.

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by nitlad: 5:26pm On Feb 08, 2013
Until you show me one purpose feminism has served our world aside from the selfish interests of feminists, only then will I begin to take feminists serious! undecided

Simply put, feminism is selfishness unadulterated!
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Kk4(m): 5:39pm On Feb 08, 2013
sauer: This topic is evidently ahead of your intended audience. So, don't be surprised if you've got numerous views and no replies. Just saying. . .
lol. i tell you. nice one op

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Nairalander With Denrele / Teddy A Celebrates His 31st Birthday (Photos) / E-money Vs Odili Omerionya Who Is Richer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.