Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,953 members, 7,838,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" (15527 Views)

Beyonce Vs Kelly Rowland: Who Looked Prettier While Pregnant? / There Is A New Nollywood Film Called Beyonce Vs Rihanna / Beyonce Vs Kelly Rowland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 08, 2013
~Bluetooth:

What the hell is wrong in addressing beyonce as mrs carter ? If that's what she chose to answer,please let her be.She's married and entitled to use her husband's name whether the man uses it. Or not.

U DEY MIND DEM? U KNOW SAY WHEN PERSON OWN DON SPOIL NA AS HIM GO SPOIL OTHER PEOPLE OWN HIM GO FIND
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 08, 2013
Wow, front page! ...

Sisi_Kill:

Not sure why anyone is making a big todo about this. . .it is HER name after all. However to say you don't why Feminists would claim Beyonce has theirs shows you don't know much about Beyonce and the message she's being peddling all these years. She built her career on the back of Feminism, got them all riled up with songs like Me, Myself and I, Yes, irreplaceable, If I Were A Boy, Single Ladies, Run The World, A Woman Like Me not to talk of the songs from her Destiny Child's days like Bills, Bills, Bills, Independent woman, Survivor etc. . .songs preaching girl power, independence and not needing men to be complete and all that shtick.

So to see her succumb to what in their books is the ultimate subjugation of women. . .bearing a man's name is like a betrayal.

Again, I don't see what the big deal is. . .heck, I've never understood why some people think what a celebrity does affects their own lives. This is why I will never get the logic behind celebrity endorsement, I buy or use something because I like it and if I don't even if all the celebs i like come together to endorse it, I still ain't buying. . .but that's a topic for another day.
You are right! She was one thing yesterday and she is preaching differently today. I've got to rush out now but thought to give praise to this comment. I'm not an avid follower of Beyonce but personally I thought it too severe to be criticised for embracing her husband's name. It's her choice...perhaps a conscious attack to these same critics?
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by ositadima1(m): 7:30pm On Feb 08, 2013
Flytefalls: Wow, front page! ...

You are right! She was one thing yesterday and she is preaching differently today. I've got to rush out now but thought to give praise to this comment. I'm not an avid follower of Beyonce but personally I thought it too severe to be criticised for embracing her husband's name. It's her choice...perhaps a conscious attack to these same critics?

She didn't even write half of those songs undecided
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by pak: 7:57pm On Feb 08, 2013
Shollypopz: @pro1: where is Mariah Carey today?? I'm sorry but nobody is searching for Mariah Carey, a legend?? Yes, but dead career wise!! (That's why she's a judge on American Idol). Look at Beyonce's audience though. Jeez, look at Beyonce's music, and tell me which doesn't have sexx appeal. Beyonce is no Adele, she is sexy and cool. No one wants a mummy Beyonce! Well my second comment on this thread addresses more, no time!

@pak: stop quoting me, like seriously dude. Stop unless u have something reasonable to say, STOP!!

You can always trust Nairalanders to go against anything that has to do with feminism. They do have a point! Do not come on interviews as Beyonce and say you want your music to empower women, bah blah about anthem for women around the world and then lose your identity when you get married. Abeg, go finish high school Beyonce!

You really need to chill out.

Two questions spring to mind - one, How many times have I quoted you ? (outside this particular thread of course) and two, didn't I quote 2 other respondents on the same post ? so why give the impression that I'm trolling you or somethin ?
I didn't agree with your assertions and I think you should just take it in good faith. 'simples'

P.S. - Just saw your response to the mystikal guy, am at a loss here.
If you can't stand the heat then leave the g**d**mn kitchen.
If you don't want critical responses, then don't post. Are you a newbie ?
Wonder why you feel you have to attack or insult anybody with contrary opinions ?
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Crixina(f): 8:08pm On Feb 08, 2013
Shollypopz: I see where the feminists are coming from, Beyonce promoting Mrs Carter further proves women losing their identity when they get married. She is Mrs Carter quite alright, nobody is disputing that but Beyonce is a brand name, her identity, a representation of her achievements, artistry, and influencing power that she has been able to acquire throughout her working years. Losing Beyonce for Mrs Carter is a st*upid move!
The Mrs title is not an achievement but a title for addressing married women, nothing special. No one wants to see Mrs Carter, we all pay to watch and be entertained by Beyonce
for once sm1 is using his brain here...love that.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by pak: 8:09pm On Feb 08, 2013
ItsModella:
That is debatable. What makes people feel best isn't necessarily what is best for them. A feminist advocates for equal rights for women. But then, I agree with your point, we are way past the stage of debating whether it is proper to bear your husband's name. Personally, I don't think embracing your husband's name makes you more of a wife or mother. I can also argue that embracing your husband's name does not make you lose your identity, rather it helps you create a family identity. It all depends on the individual.

c'est génial.
j'aime ce

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 08, 2013
I think Mrs Carter sounds quite matronly for a performer of her caliber. Most 15-20 year olds won't get interested easily. As a singer its all about selling albums n tickets to live shows.
Oh! Btw I'm married n I just changed to my hubby's name so I don't hav anything about women using their married names
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by anitank(f): 8:39pm On Feb 08, 2013
Flytefalls: Hmmm. I think now is the time, in the spirit of equality, we allow people to just be. Fame is subjective, and I assume feminists see, hear and feel Beyonce’s presence and liken it to their own ideology and values (which aren't so bad, but is confusing and in an ever-evolving state). Beyonce has spoken of being a feminist, but I question her understanding as I do question my own understanding on the topic. I would say she is more a “post-feminist” icon. She is strong willed and independent, etc but allows herself to indulge in her sexuality. Yes, she can strip if she wants to! Much like the self-confessed "Girls" actress and feminist Lena Dunham who said in an interview:

Q:You seem incredibly tolerant and cheerful all the time. What gets under your skin?
A:Women saying ‘I’m not a feminist’ is my greatest pet peeve. Do you believe that women should be paid the same for doing the same jobs? Do you believe that women should be allowed to leave the house? Do you think that women and men both deserve equal rights? Great, then you’re a feminist. People think there is something taboo about speaking up for feminism. I know for a long time that I was embarrassed to call out misogyny because I was then going to be that complaining girl who can’t let it go. But the fact is, we can’t let it go – not until we feel like we have been heard.

Is it more acceptible for Lena to get nak3d in every episode because her body is more "average Jane"? Beyonce practices her own understanding of feminism and it shouldn’t be held to ransom by any group. For example, I have long since stopped seeing her as a “black” artist, but she may idenify herself as one. I don't care.

Beyonce is just one woman who has made a tremendous success of herself and her brand. She is growing older, and is married with a child. In my eyes, she is non-comparable to Rihanna. With good reason, the public spoke out against Chris Brown when Rihanna was beaten up, but she herself has now made her own decision. Many brows have been raised. Not my own, I don't care. Beyonce’s music will evolve and this is the direction she has decided to take her brand. Successful step? We will see..... and I will carrying on trying not to care tongue

@ Shollypopz (the male rebooted version lol): I agree her fan-base will shift, but I see it as a healthy evolution.
@ La Parisenne: Ditto to everything you said! grin
@ OD: I can see Madonna being an icon of yours... so clearly (hahahahahagrin)
@pro01 and deepwaters: We share some views there. Famous young women should be encouraged to evolve throughout their careers if they span so long that they become mothers, wives, priests, whatever. This isn't sexist, just reasonable. Perhaps it will change/relax public expectations of such women smiley... I mean, just look at Madonna now in those leotards!(shudders).
u know for someone who actually doesn't care, u sure do have a lot of conspiracy theories.
Beyonce has always been successful from way back when,and am sure whatever she decides to do now will also be a success as always. Besides,its not like she's changing her name from Beyonce to Mrs.Carter, It's only the name she wants to use for her tour (and i see no wrong in that).

I think we should all let her be jare. It's her life and should do whatever she wants with it, not what the people, her fans or the the so called feminists (whoever they are) think. She's got more money than any of us here will acquire in a lifetime so why we de drink panadol for her headache?
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 08, 2013
Just for the records, I have never considered the "Celebrities" thread any more serious than the "Sexuality" thread, both of which I have never taken any seriously. The very reason I was quite surprised to stumble on this topic here.

Beyonce, or Mrs. Carter, can at best be considered a womanist, not a feminist. I believe this is an African-American invention. She is one of the many who want to share in the ideals of feminist freedom, independence and ambitiousness, while refusing to suffer the scorn often associated with it. Perhaps she is of the opinion that her marriage (of dual control) offers her the liberty to claim feminism as it does quite a number of other Hollywood celebrities, but then we know that's how it rolls among these stars.
I mean, how else can one put it? Can Mrs. Carter sit to an intelligent conversation with Carol-Oates for instance? Or can she give an appealing talk (or song) at a convention of feminists? I doubt it. Whatever the case, she's at best a closet independent, which is at least good for her and for her image as Mrs. Carter.

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 08, 2013
nitlad: Until you show me one purpose feminism has served our world aside from the selfish interests of feminists, only then will I begin to take feminists serious! undecided

Simply put, feminism is selfishness unadulterated!
You, my friend, need to go read your history. undecided

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by bukatyne(f): 9:56pm On Feb 08, 2013
I think Beyonce Carter would have been more suited to her career. However, it's her choice. No one is yet to answer me on who a Feminist is angry
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by mystikal(m): 10:04pm On Feb 08, 2013
No need for the drama, I'll pass #no time indeed
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by freecocoa(f): 10:14pm On Feb 08, 2013
Okay I seriously think Bey goofed on this one, like wtf kinda music will a Mrs Carter who is supposed to be br*stfeeding make?

I ain't paying to listen to Mrs Carter, I think Njideka Okeke and Chinyere Udoma got that one covered already.undecided
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by pak: 10:38pm On Feb 08, 2013
@freecocoa,
Don't you think its her own way of 'transitioning'. As in she prolly realised she can't be 'the GIRL from destiny child forever'.

I guess a 50 yr old Beyonce performing as mrs carter, twenty years on, will definitely be better than what Maddonna is presently putting us thru.

1 Like

Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by dayokanu(m): 10:49pm On Feb 08, 2013
freecocoa: Okay I seriously think Bey goofed on this one, like wtf kinda music will a Mrs Carter who is supposed to be br*stfeeding make?

I ain't paying to listen to Mrs Carter, I think Njideka Okeke and Chinyere Udoma got that one covered already.undecided

When your husband prick sweet your well well you go "Shange" your name from Freecocoa to "Cocomycin"

Prick sweet Beyonce and she shange her name the women lacking pricks in the life dey jelox
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by nitlad: 11:17pm On Feb 08, 2013
sauer:
You, my friend, need to go read your history. undecided
You my friend need to tell us what sorta history you've been reading, Sisi_Kill's autobiography/memoir grin grin tongue
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 09, 2013
ositadima1:

She didn't even write half of those songs undecided
But she represents them...because who runs the world? Girls apparently, not the production teams wink
anitank:
u know for someone who actually doesn't care, u sure do have a lot of conspiracy theories.
Beyonce has always been successful from way back when,and am sure whatever she decides to do now will also be a success as always. Besides,its not like she's changing her name from Beyonce to Mrs.Carter, It's only the name she wants to use for her tour (and i see no wrong in that).

I think we should all let her be jare. It's her life and should do whatever she wants with it, not what the people, her fans or the the so called feminists (whoever they are) think. She's got more money than any of us here will acquire in a lifetime so why we de drink panadol for her headache?
My own opinion is to let her be. There is no conspiracy, I'm just sharing my wonderment on nl.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by freecocoa(f): 9:39am On Feb 09, 2013
dayokanu:

When your husband prick sweet your well well you go "Shange" your name from Freecocoa to "Cocomycin"

Prick sweet Beyonce and she shange her name the women lacking pricks in the life dey jelox
If Freecocoa were to be my brand name, I don't think I would want to lose that especially since it sells very well, at most I'd add my husband's name to it if the prick sweet reach like that.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by freecocoa(f): 9:46am On Feb 09, 2013
pak: @freecocoa,
Don't you think its her own way of 'transitioning'. As in she prolly realised she can't be 'the GIRL from destiny child forever'.

I guess a 50 yr old Beyonce performing as mrs carter, twenty years on, will definitely be better than what Maddonna is presently putting us thru.
She can transition gradually without losing the Bey identity entirely.

Ofcourse we all know she wouldn't be a little girl forever, no one said that.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 09, 2013
kadman: I'm male and a feminist (think what you will)

When I heard Beyonce was titling her tour Mrs Carter - I wasn't pleased. I love Bey, but I planned not to support this tour as much as I normally would (I've seen her 7 times in 3 continents).

I made several rants on Facebook about this, till someone called my attention to find Jay-Z's legal name: it's Sean Knowles-Carter! He changed his legal name in 2009 !

Yup, Jay Z took Beyonce's last name. That's mutual respect! That's equality! That's the basis of feminism.

I see nothing wrong in what mother Bey has done, and I would be seeing her 3 times this tour!
wow
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by prairie(f): 1:32pm On Feb 09, 2013
Shollypopz: I see where the feminists are coming from, Beyonce promoting Mrs Carter further proves women losing their identity when they get married. She is Mrs Carter quite alright, nobody is disputing that but Beyonce is a brand name, her identity, a representation of her achievements, artistry, and influencing power that she has been able to acquire throughout her working years. Losing Beyonce for Mrs Carter is a st*upid move!
The Mrs title is not an achievement but a title for addressing married women, nothing special. No one wants to see Mrs Carter, we all pay to watch and be entertained by Beyonce
i dont think its their/your business, she's married now nd she loves it dar way, dem feminists shuld go nd marry if na so e pain them reach
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 09, 2013
prairie: i dont think its their/your business, she's married now nd she loves it dar way, dem feminists shuld go nd marry if na so e pain them reach
You this ignorant buffoon, so all the feminists concerned are not married?? If you can't counter my points like a literate, abeg just go back to that Tiwa Savage thread and continue your holiness.

Read my previous posts on this thread to find out why it's their business.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by prairie(f): 3:41pm On Feb 09, 2013
Shollypopz:
You this ignorant buffoon, so all the feminists concerned are not married?? If you can't counter my points like a literate, abeg just go back to that Tiwa Savage thread and continue your holiness.

Read my previous posts on this thread to find out why it's their business.
lol, shollypopz u need to cool down dear nd mind u I'm a female too nd i def kno how to throw tantrums like u......buh dah wuld b stupid nd immature wouldnt it?
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 3:48pm On Feb 09, 2013
prairie: lol, shollypopz u need to cool down dear nd mind u I'm a female too nd i def kno how to throw tantrums like u......buh dah wuld b stupid nd immature wouldnt it?
Lol, I was expecting this side to come up. hahahaha exactly what I was looking for! So holy-holy like you can insult?? grin grin grin Is that what the bible asked of u?? Fvcking dim-wit, coming here to tell me bullcrap about whose business and non-business it is.

So being female equals throwing tantrums?? You're a dead course, total waste of time!

Trust me, when I decide to throw tantrums, you'll close ur NL account!! I have low tolerance for non-thinking-slave-minded little women like you. For more education on the topic, read previous posts. I'm done replying you!
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by prairie(f): 4:06pm On Feb 09, 2013
Shollypopz:
Lol, I was expecting this side to come up. hahahaha exactly what I was looking for! So holy-holy like you can insult?? grin grin grin Is that what the bible asked of u?? Fvcking dim-wit, coming here to tell me bullcrap about whose business and non-business it is.

So being female equals throwing tantrums?? You're a dead course, total waste of time!

Trust me, when I decide to throw tantrums, you'll close ur NL account!! I have low tolerance for non-thinking-slave-minded little women like you. For more education on the topic, read previous posts. I'm done replying you!
lmao! Sholly iyaf vex o! Ofcourse dat statement is STUPID nd IMMATURE....i def wont close my acct for a kid like u who onli makes herself heard by throwin a tantrum, dnt cry nne ozuo.....cnt stop 'lol'
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 09, 2013
prairie: lmao! Sholly iyaf vex o! Ofcourse dat statement is STUPID nd IMMATURE....i def wont close my acct for a kid like u who onli makes herself heard by throwin a tantrum, dnt cry nne ozuo.....cnt stop 'lol'
hahahahaha.......so you agree that your statements are in fact all silly and immature!! I guess we can agree on that.

yes ooo i yaf vex for silly women like you. In fact I weep for close minded people like you allday, errday!! The difference is in my tears and my supposed "tantrums" I can think, I know you have a problem. I don't walk around with half-wit, dull mind and covered up garments claiming to be holy-holy when in fact u're filled with jealousy as these women are more than you can ever be! I'll rather choose to be a kid than a grown fool like you! #hard truth....no cry too much sweetie wink

Let's all laugh at ur stu*pidity together, hahahahahahaha grin grin
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by prairie(f): 4:34pm On Feb 09, 2013
Shollypopz:
hahahahaha.......so you agree that your statements are in fact all silly and immature!! I guess we can agree on that.

yes ooo i yaf vex for silly women like you. In fact I weep for close minded people like you allday, errday!! The difference is in my tears and my supposed "tantrums" I can think, I know you have a problem. I don't walk around with half-wit, dull mind and covered up garments claiming to be holy-holy when in fact u're filled with jealousy as these women are more than you can ever be! I'll rather choose to be a kid than a grown fool like you! #hard truth....no cry too much sweetie wink

Let's all laugh at ur stu*pidity together, hahahahahahaha grin grin

stop tryin to copy me jor think for urself or am I now ur role model? *winks* dats ow it is jare, they hate me for sayin d fact but after they jus cant get enof of me, besides yabbin me is like pourin water into a basket.........futile! *stil laffin*
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Lepatohset(f): 6:27pm On Feb 09, 2013

Lyk durhh... She doesn't even kia.
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 09, 2013
prairie: stop tryin to copy me jor think for urself or am I now ur role model? *winks* dats ow it is jare, they hate me for sayin d fact but after they jus cant get enof of me, besides yabbin me is like pourin water into a basket.........futile! *stil laffin*
copy who?? what??!! what is this incoherent jargon?? you are henceforth ignored! I've entertained ur st*upidity enough this morning, get busy!

Lepatohset:

Lyk durhh... She doesn't even kia.
Gosh, where do Seun recruit these dumb high school girls from?? mu ska ska ska ska......I laugh in swahili grin grin

As sauer said, this topic is too mature and requires intelligence which a lot of the active members of the celebrities section do not possess. Such dumb posters! "lyk duh"..really?? Is this high school??!!
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by Vires: 8:22pm On Feb 09, 2013
She could just use Beyonce Carter
that way she is still Beyonce and she would be using her married surname
Like Victoria Beckham
Re: The Matter Of "Beyonce" Vs "Mrs Carter" by prairie(f): 8:26pm On Feb 09, 2013
Shollypopz:
copy who?? what??!! what is this incoherent jargon?? you are henceforth ignored! I've entertained ur st*upidity enough this morning, get busy!

Gosh, where do Seun recruit these dumb high school girls from?? mu ska ska ska ska......I laugh in swahili grin grin

As sauer said, this topic is too mature and requires intelligence which a lot of the active members of the celebrities section do not possess. Such dumb posters! "lyk duh"..really?? Is this high school??!!
In ur mind now u have made sense *sighs* somebody tell me wat to do with this kid........sheesh!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

E-money Vs Odili Omerionya Who Is Richer? / Teddy A Celebrates His 31st Birthday (Photos) / Kobe Bryrant's Illuminati Sacrifice Shown In Simpson Cartoon 21 Seconds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.