Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,731 members, 7,824,063 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? (12248 Views)

How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / Trailer Loses Tyre While Driving On Lagos Road This Morning / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by wy2000(m): 11:58pm On Feb 22, 2013
I have been reading this since yesterday. The chewing gum trick used to work for me, but chick just eat all my gums!

http://m.wikihow.com/Stay-Awake-when-Driving
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by misled: 11:59pm On Feb 22, 2013
Bros, if you get A.C for your house, 4HOURS sleep would be enuff for you....5HRS go even too much for you

You get Car, you no get A.C for house...Are you a driver??

....As if the the light is always there.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by plendil: 12:17am On Feb 23, 2013
Na wa O!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

see revelations! Na only God dey save person for road then!
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by VolvoS60(m): 12:44am On Feb 23, 2013
woodcook: I remember some years back while in Lag, on my way back from work I was with my colleague who happened to be the one driver. While in traffic on 3rd mainland bridge she slept off while driving. Later same day around close to St Agnes Maryland, while in traffic she slept off as well again. I think it is high time our government make our highways safe for road users. Sometime last week I drove with a friend on a highway to Brussels from Liege and I noticed that each time we come close to the white marking on the sides of the high way the car makes a loud disturbing sound. The sound is so loud that even if you are sleep you will wake up. Those things were fitted on those white line to prevent drivers from sleeping off and vying off the road. I wish our government should come up with something similar more especially on our inter-city roads, I believe it will save a lot of lives.

A-town:
Word of advice, whenever you feel sleepy while driving, find somewhere to park and take a nap for at least 1 to 2 hours. Do not risk it. A lot of people have lost their lives. A friend was driving and felt sleepy, he thought he'd just knock it off by blasting his radio. He turned up the volume and the next thing he woke up 4 days later in the hospital. As soon as he turned up the radio, he fell asleep and drove straight into a tree. The car was salvaged. He was lucky. A lot of people werent. I wonder why the FRSC hasn't mandated all highways to be equiped with those "vibrating road alerts/lane change alerts" that is used in the U.S. It's not expensive na. I can't count the number of times this thing has saved me from driving straight off the highway due to tiredness.

^^^^Good points made here. There are so many (relatively) inexpensive things that can be designed into our infrastructure and which will save lives. The first time I saw one of those vibrating alerts, I was speechless. It is disheartening that there is still no highway in Nigeria (to the best of my knowledge) that has these things built in as part of the design. How hard can it be to do this?

I slept off once in heavy Lagos traffic a few years ago with relatively mild consequences for me and the car in front. But it could have been so much worse. Not something I ever want to happen again.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by kessyur: 1:15am On Feb 23, 2013
tellwsdom:

Bros, if you get A.C for your house, 4HOURS sleep would be enuff for you....5HRS go even too much for you undecided undecided

You get Car, you no get A.C for house...Are you a driver?? sad

MUMU at loose. Wetin de bring dat one na. Must u comment?
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Exclibur(m): 3:16am On Feb 23, 2013
Yes I hav. Slept off one tym I was driving alone. Had to stop,lock the cAr and hav a nap befor continuing

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Exclibur(m): 3:25am On Feb 23, 2013
victorazy: Especially when is Automatic Gear Changing car

Very true. My car is an auto
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Nobody: 5:01am On Feb 23, 2013
Hmm
I had gone to work and then went to a Benny Hinn crusade with some church members same night ,came home around 3 am ,got no sleep because of my little baby and off to work again that morning exhausted .
On the way home on the freeway about 45 mins to my place,sleep come catch me
I prayed and prayed
I played the music loud it didn't help
I opened the window so that the breeze will blow,it made matters worse
I had to exit the freeway,drove to a parking lot and sat a while with my eyes closed and rested
Then continued driving and did better

If you find yourself in the same position please pull over and take a rest or you may not make it back home and could take some innocent people with you

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by hakunamatata1: 5:05am On Feb 23, 2013
i dont sleep wwhile driving. I rather drive in my sleep! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Pennywise(m): 6:02am On Feb 23, 2013
I have had a few close calls which is why i dont do long distance.

The last was abt 3yrs ago on a 100km stretch of highway. Each time i parked to catch a nap, my eyes would light up like an inferno. No sleep. Yet i had to be on time for a wedding.

So i drove at sub 80km/hr on the slow lane. It was real torture but I got to destination in one piece.

Another practical solution will be to avoid driving on d hway alone. This is helpful on many fronts not least of which is d fact that those smiling policemen can transform into robbers in a sec and leave u dead in your car.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by solexybaba(m): 6:02am On Feb 23, 2013
mosho2good: I rememebr wen I was driving and fall asleep and d car drive himself all d way home to my place can u believe it
I don die wit laff.pls send ur act dtails I nee to pay 4 dis jokes even bket mout don't get shots lik dis
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Jarus(m): 7:03am On Feb 23, 2013
No, but dozed off a couple of times in traffic.

There was a day the lady beside me slept off in traffic at Chevron on Lekki-Ajah road. The car in front of her had moved and she didn't know. We all blast horn before she woke up and continued. That was when that road used to be crazy.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Kammy12: 7:06am On Feb 23, 2013
mosho2good I rememebr wen I was driving and fall asleep and d car drive himself all d way home to my place can u believe it[/quote]

U didn't complete ur story on how the car turned to the right and left miraculously by itself till u got home grin
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by bigsheg(m): 7:15am On Feb 23, 2013
mosho2good: I rememebr wen I was driving and fall asleep and d car drive himself all d way home to my place can u believe it
yeye man...
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by plendil: 7:40am On Feb 23, 2013
All those people advocating ''parking the car and taking a quick nap'', what if you find yourself in a lonely highway? or dangerous spot?

IF I ever have to go on a long journey, I ensure I have enough rest. If it was a night program, eg vigil service, wake keep, why not sleep at the venue then when you can hit the road the following morining, rather than endanger the lifes of others on the road.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Dikoko101(m): 7:56am On Feb 23, 2013
Yes, av had such experience. Was on my way back from the club on night,driving alone. All I cud remember was a grinding sound and my eyes were opened, only for me to realize that av had a crash with a moving trailer. To God be the glory, it was the tire of the trailer I had the contact with. Tis contact pulled off the driver door of my car. Imagine if I had entered under?
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by jaymichael(m): 8:20am On Feb 23, 2013
chucky234: Slept off while driving? No way,never as 2hrs of night sleep is always enough for me no matter how late in the morning I retire to bed,I always wake up sound with no sign of dizziness.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Nobody: 8:42am On Feb 23, 2013
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by dollypi(m): 9:48am On Feb 23, 2013
Sleeping while driving is caused by tiredness, and with the regime of wake-early-to-avoid-traffic, stay-late-at-work-to-avoid-traffic that we have in Lagos, it's inevitable that majority of workers will be perpetually tired on the wheels.
I've dozed off once while driving on Lagos-Ibadan express way, and once on the way to Ogun state from Lagos. What I did on those occasions was to pull over in a safe place and have a 15 minute rest with my eyes shut. I stopped feeling sleepy each time.

I also discovered that when I eat a full meal before traveling, I become drowsy, and usually nod off, so I don't eat at all when going for a long journey. One thing that also helps me is taking an energy drink when I start feeling drowsy. It really helps.

I hit the car in front of me once when I slept off while driving to VI, around Lekki first roundabout. It was about 5.30am in the morning, and thank God for traffic. The car in front had those protruding towing stumps and wasn't damaged at all, while my car's license plate folded forward as if it was clapping in amazement at my driving skills.

I have a friend whose wife died when she dozed off at the steering wheel and had her car go over a cliff. I believe sleeping off at the wheels is the leading cause of fatal accidents.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Confusion: 9:58am On Feb 23, 2013
superior1: No, I am not mad

guy this is not madness matter, just pray it does not happen to you, i never thot it will ever happen to me being a precision kind of person.
i slept for a while, a guy saw me and then drove behind me and hit me a little, thst was when i jerk and woke up, he then drove by myside all the way to my house in ikoyi. we have been friends since then,
this may sound funny especially to non-believers but at that moment my sister woke up and started praying even she didnt know why she was praying, she called me and everyone in my family if everything is ok, i just lied and told her i didnt go anywhere, that im fine, told her the truth after many months because i know she will preach me a sermon if i tell her that moment. so my guy just pray somebody somwhere is watching you back
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by elari(m): 11:09am On Feb 23, 2013
Lol@ topic. Mine happened afta my graduation party, was up 2ru d nite and had to move next morning. But that wasn't the cause. A muzik by enya "wildchild" is to blame. Since then i notice most songs by enya, yanni and gregorian do make me sleep off.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Les: 11:10am On Feb 23, 2013
Confusion:

guy this is not madness matter, just pray it does not happen to you, i never thot it will ever happen to me being a precision kind of person.
i slept for a while, a guy saw me and then drove behind me and hit me a little, thst was when i jerk and woke up, he then drove by myside all the way to my house in ikoyi. we have been friends since then,
this may sound funny especially to non-believers but at that moment my sister woke up and started praying even she didnt know why she was praying, she called me and everyone in my family if everything is ok, i just lied and told her i didnt go anywhere, that im fine, told her the truth after many months because i know she will preach me a sermon if i tell her that moment. so my guy just pray somebody somwhere is watching you back
dat guy should marry your sister.....*just my opinion cool
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by ezzye: 11:30am On Feb 23, 2013
My God....YES ooooo. I was driving my MOM dat afternoon, i was too tired to drive but i dint wanna tell her to walk under d sun dat afternoon so i took to d roads only 4 me to fall asleep wen my journey was endin.....but God is great...miraculously my tyres drifted towards d right and it was held firmly by those sidewalk culvets because without that i wld av crushed 3 ppl...

My dear it was a terrifyin xperience but one to be Thankdul to God 4...

LESSON: when driving or before driving u sense some weakness or tiredness.....STOP UR CAR AND TAKE A NAP 4 som minutes....no b crime ooo
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 23, 2013
KNIGHT RIDER!!!!! shocked WHERE'VE U BEEN?
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by toyboy1(m): 12:03pm On Feb 23, 2013
I have slept at least twice on the wheels. If you drive long distances, its almost inevitable that you drift to sleep. All you need do as a good driver is to park and take a short nap for 20min or less, and you ll be refreshed with energy and vigour to continue the journey without sleeping.
Just ensure the sleep does not beyond 25min, else you ll enter the second stage of sleep.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by kspeed(m): 12:37pm On Feb 23, 2013
tundesto: It happened to me last year while coming from Redemption Camp along Lagos-Ibadan Express way. We had finished the programme which ran overnight around 4am and started the journey to Ibadan. On our way, I slept off in many occasions and woke up again while on wheel. I rinsed my face with water, it didn't work. I thank God no car was on the way each time.

Exactly from Redemption Camp too but going back to Lagos and everyone in the car were asleep while I was struggling with the wheel.It was a cold and mist AM though, by his mercy we got home safely.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by LANRYUS(m): 12:37pm On Feb 23, 2013
It happened to me last two years coming from kaduna to abuja, but I didn't risk it much, I just park by the road and sleep for like 30 mins before I continue my journey. Alhamdulillah. However, my friend is not as lucky as he ran into another car around area 1 bridge but all the same, we still thank God he is alive and healthy.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by tellwsdom: 12:48pm On Feb 23, 2013
kessyur:

MUMU at loose. Wetin de bring dat one na. Must u comment?

Must you quote me?? Animal angry
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by LeJeun3: 12:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
Now, seriously if U need a long distance driver, you can always count on me! Call my digits......0809-972-5628.
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by comely77(m): 12:58pm On Feb 23, 2013
Happened to me almost countless times, the last was jst yesterday nite wen I caught myself dozing desperately and nodding of at least five times!!! I m still shocked how I managed to get home in one piece, its damn crazy!!!
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Confusion: 1:00pm On Feb 23, 2013
Les: dat guy should marry your sister.....*just my opinion cool
He tried but my Sis is spiri koko and the guy loves to jives so that was a no go area
Re: Have You Ever Slept Off While Driving? by Confusion: 1:01pm On Feb 23, 2013
Les: dat guy should marry your sister.....*just my opinion cool
truly i for no like am somehow because i like the fact that she spends time praying for the rest of the family

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Know If You Have A Bad Engine Control Unit/module (Brain Box) / Your Top 5 Most Annoying Experiences With Other Road Users / Which Year Has The Best Camry Between 2007-2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.