Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,433 members, 7,801,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

- Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / (3395 Views)

Man Beaten For Molesting OAU-Ife Student / Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing / Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

by shakaz(m): 8:42pm On Feb 11, 2013
Re: by Nairalanda(m): 10:11pm On Feb 11, 2013
shakaz: My fellow nairalanders,
its been approximately a year now since I started a thread seeking nairalanders advice on what career paths to follow and university to choose.
www.nairaland.com/869484
However, the story has changed greatly. A lot of things has happened. Starting from me obtaining 2012/2013 jamb form. Having chosen Electrical & Electronic Engineering OAU Ife and scoring up to the required score, I ve been offered admission. All glory due to almighty God.
In as much as I would want to jump at my admission into OAU ife, considering the fact that Engineering is where my passion really lies.It's a tough decision to make, given the lastest development of Uniport's Pharmacy being partially accredited, and full accredition would be expected anytime soon. Also the whole idea of going back to start afresh, irrespective my current progress as a 200 level Pharmacy Student is discouraging.
please your sincere advice would be needed. I know individual interest and preference are different. But just place yourself in my scenario which would you choose ?

I quite understand how you feel and your situation. It can be a difficult decision when it comes to choosing from a number of options.
What I understand from above is that you are currently in 200L pharmacy but your CGPA or interest is poor.

One thing you should understand is that, success in life is not measured by what course you did. It is a function of how you use what you have. You will find people who read subjects like Engineering, Law, Medicine, Pharmacy etc that are not doing as well as someone who did a less talked about course like Archaeology. So my point is do not take that your going to OAU and doing Engineering is akin to becoming rich or successful. I will say, you can do very great even by doing any course and going to any school. The most important thing is to make good use of your time in the university.

There are lots of distractions in the university like cultism, sex and gangsterism, internet etc. But you can make good use of anything you have and become excellent in life. Based on the conditions that your CGPA is low and that currently, as you claim, that the subject is not accredited, I will say you can go to OAU for the subject. You will have the opportunity to start all over and can work towards topping your class. You can get useful materials online and using the library. You should also make use of the sports facilities and fraternise less with religious activities. You should be godly but not to extremes. You should flock with guys that can improve you. You should make friends with your lecturers and don't plan to hate them because the subject is hard. Try and see meaning in what you are being taught and not try to "cram".

What you should work towards is being among the top in your subject. If you do Electrical Engineering and your CGPA is 3.9 and someone did Zoology and has a CGPA of 4.5, on the graduation day, the zoology guy will get more recognition than you. When you apply for a job with any company, the first class guy is more recognised than you! Regardless of what you did. The same guy can get scholarship to study anywhere in the world and can even become VC of university. So do a course you like and top your class. There are no two ways to success, work hard and pray and you will rule your own little world. If you would need to do post UME for the OAU admission, you can practice on [url]pass1time.com[/url] for free.

I wish you good luck. Please feel free to respond and people will help you as much as they can.

2 Likes

Re: by shakaz(m): 10:49pm On Feb 11, 2013
@Nairalanda, I'm most grateful for your ample contribution. But I would like to set some points straight here.
First, on the contrary my CGPA is fine, it is not by any means poor. And also about writing post UTME, I don't think that would be necessary, because I have already done that and I have secured the admission even.
Re: by Nairalanda(m): 11:19am On Feb 12, 2013
shakaz: @Nairalanda, I'm most grateful for your ample contribution. But I would like to set some points straight here.
First, on the contrary my CGPA is fine, it is not by any means poor. And also about writing post UTME, I don't think that would be necessary, because I have already done that and I have secured the admission even.

Then good for you. You only have a problem of choice from two nice options. If you are not getting "too" old and you are sure of funding for the school. I will say go to study a course that is already accredited. Then keep your mind in one place and don't look back or have regrets. You have made the right choice. No matter what choice you make now is going to be a nice one. You have two golden eggs. Now get up and go. I know a number of guys that graduated from Ife, I think you will have a wonderful time there.
Re: by solelymade: 11:49am On Feb 12, 2013
Is it dat u want 2 change skol or course of study? 4rm wat i can infer, d former is case. Seems like u are more interested in avin an OAU education than changin ur course of study because u could ave tried securin admission into ur present skol 4 Engineering. Pharmacy is a nice course wit bright prospects. I will advice u remain where u are since ur cgpa is awesome as u claim and it is a familiar territory 4 u especially @ 200level. Abandonin dat which u ave presently for d uncertainty of OAU can end up being a sweet sour experience. If u'r in early 20s u can afford 2 study engineering later or do ur masters @ Ife. Pls be wise dont be driven by emotions.

1 Like

Re: by shakaz(m): 4:12pm On Feb 12, 2013
Nairalanda:

Then good for you. You only have a problem of choice from two nice options. If you are not getting "too" old and you are sure of funding for the school. I will say go to study a course that is already accredited. Then keep your mind in one place and don't look back or have regrets. You have made the right choice. No matter what choice you make now is going to be a nice one. You have two golden eggs. Now get up and go. I know a number of guys that graduated from Ife, I think you will have a wonderful time there.
That is my greatest worry ''regreting later in life'',I'm in my early 20's. funding is not a problem, and also Pharmacy is partially accredited,hopefully anytime soon it would be fully accredited by PCN.
Re: by globechamp: 4:25pm On Feb 12, 2013
@shakaz

From what I understand, you are caught betwixt 200 level Pharmacy Uniport vs Engineering at OAU. The answer is pretty simple. It is not how far but how well. If engineering is where you have determined and are passionate about, please dont be too proud to ditch your Pharmacy and go for what you love. If you miss this opportunity, you will never regain it again. You are still young and its better for you to start your career life on a good footing. Would you rather be a frustrated accredited pharmacist? Will you prefer to go for what will make you happy for life?
The most important question you must ask yourself is WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE. That will determine what you should choose. Whatever your decision is, you alone will face the consequences. The ball is in your court.
Re: by shakaz(m): 4:25pm On Feb 12, 2013
solelymade: Is it dat u want 2 change skol or course of study? 4rm wat i can infer, d former is case. Seems like u are more interested in avin an OAU education than changin ur course of study because u could ave tried securin admission into ur present skol 4 Engineering. Pharmacy is a nice course wit bright prospects. I will advice u remain where u are since ur cgpa is awesome as u claim and it is a familiar territory 4 u especially @ 200level. Abandonin dat which u ave presently for d uncertainty of OAU can end up being a sweet sour experience. If u'r in early 20s u can afford 2 study engineering later or do ur masters @ Ife. Pls be wise dont be driven by emotions.
thanks alot, seems your comprehension skills is without a blemish. I didn't choose my present school to study Engineering because I believe thier Engineering faculty is not as challenging as that of the Health sciences. About doing my masters, is it possible for a B.Pharm degree holder to do a masters program on Chemical Engineering.
Re: by shakaz(m): 4:41pm On Feb 12, 2013
@ globechamp,
You just spoke the minds of the leading advice I ve receive so far, same advice from family, relatives and close friends ( even some department friends ). Also same passion and drive that led me going out of my way 2 apply for another JAMB form.
Re: by teadrake(m): 5:51pm On Feb 12, 2013
I would have love you to continue with your B.Pharm.unfortunately,partially accreditted is a call for concern.Take a look at what happen at Uniabuja Engineering students.Will implore you to Consider carefully
Re: by shakaz(m): 8:06pm On Feb 12, 2013
teadrake: I would have love you to continue with your B.Pharm.unfortunately,partially accreditted is a call for concern.Take a look at what happen at Uniabuja Engineering students.Will implore you to Consider carefully
thanks I guess I will put that into consideration.
Re: by solelymade: 12:36am On Feb 13, 2013
shakaz: thanks alot, seems your comprehension skills is without a blemish. I didn't choose my present school to study Engineering because I believe thier Engineering faculty is not as challenging as that of the Health sciences. About doing my masters, is it possible for a B.Pharm degree holder to do a masters program on Chemical Engineering.
Not sure u can take ur master in chem eng since pharmacy is totally different frm any engineering course. I only made reference 2 dat because i felt u'r more interested in being a GREAT IFE by takin a masters course in IFE. What session are u guyz runnin in unical presently?
Re: by shakaz(m): 9:28am On Feb 13, 2013
solelymade:
Not sure u can take ur master in chem eng since pharmacy is totally different frm any engineering course. I only made reference 2 dat because i felt u'r more interested in being a GREAT IFE by takin a masters course in IFE. What session are u guyz runnin in *unical* presently?
Actually it is Uniport not Unical, and we are in 1st semester 2012/2013 session.
Re: by solelymade: 11:13am On Feb 13, 2013
shakaz: Actually it is Uniport not Unical, and we are in 1st semester 2012/2013 session.
dat means u would have lost 1 academic session if u cross 2 Ife which isn't bad since u'r in your early 20s. Just take i wise decision. Guess u'r more passionate about being an Engineer.
Re: by shakaz(m): 12:05pm On Feb 13, 2013
solelymade:
dat means u would have lost 1 academic session if u cross 2 Ife which isn't bad since u'r in your early 20s. Just take i wise decision. Guess u'r more passionate about being an Engineer.
Yes I am, just lack of info and my verse knowlegde in chemistry, that made me to deviate.
Re: by solelymade: 7:51pm On Feb 13, 2013
Wateva u decide my broda jus make it fast. If u settle 4 Ife, pay mind 2 applyin 4 bedspace on d skol's website which shld be dis week or d next.
Do u ave som1 to walk u thru d setup 2 a successful Ife experience?

1 Like

Re: by shakaz(m): 11:26pm On Feb 13, 2013
solelymade: Wateva u decide my broda jus make it fast. If u settle 4 Ife, pay mind 2 applyin 4 bedspace on d skol's website which shld be dis week or d next.
Do u ave som1 to walk u thru d setup 2 a successful Ife experience?
Are you a student of Ife, and how do I go about the hostel booking from PH here.
Re: by solelymade: 12:54am On Feb 14, 2013
shakaz: Are you a student of Ife, and how do I go about the hostel booking from PH here.
Yes, I'm a student of Ife. Visit d skol website www.oauife.edu.ng and click on eportal which is @ d topmost right corner of d homepage. From eportal, u click on student which will launch u into another page where u are 2 click on login...then sign in using ur ume reg no and a password of ur choice...should welcome u since u've been admitted showin ur names and student details then click on accommodation 4 freshers...do make it fast because there are limited space..dis shld be wen eportal has indicated d opening of offer 4 d application of accommodation...remember 2 register 4 electives b4 d slots are filled up. As expected, u can't register 4 more than 1 because d units 4 ur core courses maximum of total load unit of 23. It's quite a easy process u should be able 2 walkthrough it without complications.
Will check on u...also i advice u keep tab on d 2012/2013 admission thread on nairaland...ur coursemates are there.
Shalom
Re: by shakaz(m): 8:13am On Feb 14, 2013
solelymade:
Yes, I'm a student of Ife. Visit d skol website www.oauife.edu.ng and click on eportal which is @ d topmost right corner of d homepage. From eportal, u click on student which will launch u into another page where u are 2 click on login...then sign in using ur ume reg no and a password of ur choice...should welcome u since u've been admitted showin ur names and student details then click on accommodation 4 freshers...do make it fast because there are limited space..dis shld be wen eportal has indicated d opening of offer 4 d application of accommodation...remember 2 register 4 electives b4 d slots are filled up. As expected, u can't register 4 more than 1 because d units 4 ur core courses maximum of total load unit of 23. It's quite a easy process u should be able 2 walkthrough it without complications.
Will check on u...also i advice u keep tab on d 2012/2013 admission thread on nairaland...ur coursemates are there.
Shalom
thanks brother, I can't express how indebted I am to you for this invaluable assistance I'm receiving from you.I've tried login in the e-portal it seems there is no 2012/2013 session yet.
Re: by solelymade: 12:09pm On Feb 21, 2013
Fresher's category accommodation will open on MARCH 1st by 4PM. check e-portal for confirmation. Remember u need 2 create ur account 2 enable registration. Shalom
Re: by purplish(f): 12:31am On Mar 02, 2013
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.My candid advice is that u stay in Uniport and complete your pharmacy. I'm an OAU student dear...if u come to OAU with the mindset that passion for engineering and hardwork would guarantee ur success, u just might be disappointed. I dont want u to bite ur fingers at d end of d day! pls sit in uniport and complete pharmacy. I wish u all d best.
Re: by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 02, 2013
Pharmacy, like medicine, is a noble, highly regulated and very professional endeavour. with a degree in pharmacy you can set up ur own practice with "little" capital. compare the number of electrical graduates being produced per year by the polys and universities to the number of pharmacy graduates. Now relate with the growth of the prospective employers.
It is better one learns a trade that will make you self reliant in the long run. what you have is gold and uniport is a great sch and will surely get around accreditation issue.

experience, they say, is the best teacher.

(1) (Reply)

114 Medical Doctors Graduates From Unilorin / 2014 Rankings Of Nigerian Universities.. Rep Your School / WAEC Timetable 2017/2018 - (june/july Exam)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.