Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,324 members, 7,829,810 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded (20305 Views)

Metuh’s Torn Statement Linked Jonathan To N400m – EFCC / Kogi APC Torn Apart, Audu Adopted For Polls / Lawmaker's Cloth Torn After The Fight At The National Assembly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by aljharem(m): 2:40pm On Feb 14, 2013
tomakint:
You no go shut your trap for once, someone said he is from Kogi, yet you still have the shameless boldness to question his identity on a faceless forum, are you a wizard?

LOL it is very common on this site to find Igbos claim origins they know nothing about not to talk of being from that place.

Example

Akin egba
Adejoro
Ngodigha
tomakint
policewoman
etc

You all are the same, it is the same pattern. Tell him/her to answer my question of her place of origin and I would ask some questions about the place if truly he/she is sure of herself

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by tomakint: 2:42pm On Feb 14, 2013
alj harem:

LOL it is very common on this site to find Igbos claim origins they know nothing about not to talk of being from that place.

Example

Akin egba
Adejoro
Ngodigha
tomakint
policewoman
etc

You all are the same, it is the same pattern. Tell him/her to answer my question of her place of origin and I would ask some questions about the place if truly he/she is sure of herself
So if the same 'dayokanu the psychopath' calls you a fool today, are we supposed to believe?
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 2:42pm On Feb 14, 2013
kunlekunle:

Awolowo's reponse to ojukwus question about the west joining the course

[size=14pt]if this is cowardice kudos to the president nigeria never had[/size][

Well, I must say
that a number of factors have been overlooked in this regard.
I would be quite willing to attend any meeting convened by the
leaders of the South in the South, but it must be realized
that we in the West are in a very difficult position. All the
members of the bodyguard of the Military Governor of the Western
Region were Northerners; there were over 36,000 soldiers in
the whole of the West, most of whom were Northerners, and all of
them carry arms

You are remote from the
West; you have advantages which we do not possess. We cannot
rush without rushing to our death at the same time. We are not
cowards in the West but we have to move cautiously
, because if
we do not do that you might not have us alive; you would only
have monuments all over the place.

These are pure nonsensical conjures that have no place in history. It is funny a coward is acting like a coward and still insists he\she is not a coward. There was one military governor in western region. A military governor does not have a battalion of orderlies. Again, it was an act of inherent loudmouth employed by turncoats.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by T9ksy(m): 2:45pm On Feb 14, 2013
alj harem:

Example
Akin egba
Adejoro
Ngodigha
tomakint
policewoman
etc

Geez alj! You seem to know the ibos so well !!!

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by tomakint: 2:45pm On Feb 14, 2013
alj harem: That is why I have said it that SOUTHERN NIGERIA CAN NEVER WORK. Yorubas would go their own way along any group/s that think they can couple with being equals be it even fulani or hausa.

There is no conspiracy here, Yorubas and Igbos can never mix politically. It is a fact.

This is where I will like to take you on, are we (Yorubas) united politically? undecided
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 2:49pm On Feb 14, 2013
alj harem:

Example

Akin egba
Adejoro
Ngodigha
tomakint
policewoman
etc

You are becoming increasingly delusional. Any Igbo who claims Yoruba should be shot.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by T9ksy(m): 2:53pm On Feb 14, 2013
Dede1:

You are becoming increasingly delusional. Any Igbo who claims Yoruba should be shot.

No sweat!!! Any okoro man or woman masquerading as a yoruba will not be shot but rather we shall

gladly sacrifice him or her to one of our myriad deities.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 2:57pm On Feb 14, 2013
T9ksy:

No sweat!!! Any okoro man or woman masquerading as a yoruba will not be shot but rather we shall

You can knock yourself silly with sacrifices.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 14, 2013
T9ksy:

grin grin
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by T9ksy(m): 3:06pm On Feb 14, 2013
Dede1:

You can knock yourself silly with sacrifices.

Sorry to disaapoint you, but i won't. Rather, i 'll be having a good time rounding up any flat-headed mofo

ingrates (in my region) who can't pronounce "toro", properly. we shall utilise their blood to cleanse our land of those who

wish us nothing but tribulations.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by texazzpete(m): 3:13pm On Feb 14, 2013
Dede1:

I suggest you shut up your putrid mouth. I have not seen or read any sensible rebuttal to Achebe’s memoir about the civil war. It is even funny that most of the noise generated by the book came from loudmouthed ingrates who were not in Biafra. Achebe’s book centered on his experiences of the civil war and what happened in Biafra. Instead of learning from the book, most moronic dingbats chose to spew craps cull from conjures assembled by hack writer such as Nowa Omoigui.

We may as well take all our learnings on World War II from the memoirs of the members of the German High Command.

The OP does not dispute that Achebe was in the Biafran war. He's just saying his books has several items that are not factual and is colored heavily by his previously hidden trait of an ethnic bigot.

Please learn to separate the man from his achievements. He is an excellent writer and a world renowned literature expert. His famous books have rightly earned him a lot of accolades. His antipathy towards corruption is exemplary. However his clearly Igbo Supremacist agenda is disgusting to the extreme to me and many others. That is where we stand in this matter!

Instead of babbling about Nowa Omoigui, why don't you tackle the remaining 95% of the write up that didn't reference Mr Omoigui?
Are we supposed to believe the words of a clearly Biased Achebe over the dispassionate and unbiased US embassy reports?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 3:15pm On Feb 14, 2013
T9ksy:

Sorry to disaapoint you, but i won't. Rather, i 'll be having a good time rounding up any flat-headed mofo

ingrates (in my region) who can't pronounce "toro", properly. we shall utilise their blood to cleanse our land of those who

wish us nothing but tribulations.

It is good you reminded us about Yoruba’s propensity for ritualistic indulgence.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 14, 2013
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Olaolufred(m): 3:55pm On Feb 14, 2013
tomakint:
@ the bolded, how so now? He hever wanted war in the first place, he never wanted to be anybody's President in a country he so much believed in, he made many passionate pleas to the 'clown' (Gowon) to see how to stop the indiscriminate killings of his people all over the country especially in the northern parts where the Igbos had their businesses bases then, yet the Clown did nothing despite promising he would looked into it, and you still want the same Ojukwu to believe in that same country where his kinsmen were treated like properties? If only I can dish out thousands of e-slaps to knock some senses into you, indeed you are not thinking properly, this is pure logic and yet you can't figure it out undecided

NO, I DID NOT WANT OJUKWU TO BELIEVE IN THE SAME COUNTRY,
HOWEVER, I DID NOT WANT OJUKWU AND HIS FOLLOWERS TO ALSO COMPLAIN ON THE REPERCUSION
OF THE ILL-DECISION OR KEEP WHINING ON THE DECISION YOU TOOK THAT WENT ABYSS.
ISN'T THAT ALSO A LOGIC?

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by tomakint: 4:03pm On Feb 14, 2013
Olaolufred:

NO, I DID NOT WANT OJUKWU TO BELIEVE IN THE SAME COUNTRY,
HOWEVER, I DID NOT WANT OJUKWU AND HIS FOLLOWERS TO ALSO COMPLAIN ON THE REPERCUSION
OF THE ILL-DECISION OR KEEP WHINING ON THE DECISION YOU TOOK THAT WENT ABYSS.
ISN'T THAT ALSO A LOGIC?
You are trying to evade the issue in my post to you!!! Leave the Igbos out of your calculations they are the ones who felt the heat not we (the Yorubas) so what?

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 4:07pm On Feb 14, 2013
texazzpete:

We may as well take all our learnings on World War II from the memoirs of the members of the German High Command.

The OP does not dispute that Achebe was in the Biafran war. He's just saying his books has several items that are not factual and is colored heavily by his previously hidden trait of an ethnic bigot.

Please learn to separate the man from his achievements. He is an excellent writer and a world renowned literature expert. His famous books have rightly earned him a lot of accolades. His antipathy towards corruption is exemplary. However his clearly Igbo Supremacist agenda is disgusting to the extreme to me and many others. That is where we stand in this matter!

Instead of babbling about Nowa Omoigui, why don't you tackle the remaining 95% of the write up that didn't reference Mr Omoigui?
Are we supposed to believe the words of a clearly Biased Achebe over the dispassionate and unbiased US embassy reports?

Honestly speaking, if there is anybody babbling about anything or grasping for air on this discussion, it is you. There is nothing of intellectual discussion about the crap written by Damola Awoyokun in response to Achebe’s memoir about Nigeria\Biafra civil war.

It is childish to compare the ceremonial wrestling contests between Modakeke and Ife with shooting war known as Nigeria\Biafra civil war.

He equally displayed lack of knowledge on military issues when he stated Azikiwe’s bodyguards facilitated Major Ifeajuna’s arrest of Balewa. I really wondered if the ninny understood Major Ifeajuna was the BM of 2nd Brigade.

In another stanza, he ignorantly latched onto imaginary massacre of Ibibio, Efik and Annang by Biafran soldiers. Again, the two able field commanders of Biafran army in the sector in discussion were sons of the soil.

He talked about Okigbo. In this instence yet again, he exposed his ignorance in the issue of warfare. Anybody who has few atoms of brain cell can easily realized a frontline guerrilla fighter can not be fighting gun battle at the time hopping from one country to another in search of ammunition. Okigbo has never been trained in weapon handling before the war and it will amount to idiocy for Biafran government to send Okigbo in search of weapon for Biafra.

Yet in another display of inherent ignorance, he dwelled on the imagery Igbo celebration and taunting after January 15, 1966. The only two cities where people celebarted January 15, 1966 coup were Lagos and Ibadan. The first exponent of such crap of Igbo celebration is Nowa Omoigui who ignorantly claimed the artist of Ewu Na Ebe Akwa was Celestine Ukwu, an Igbo musician who collaborated with the January 15, 1966 coup plotters in release of the record. Well, the hack writer in Nawa Omoigui had been shamed when actual artist of Ewu Na Ebe Akwa was revealed to him.

Nowa Omoigui has also been rebuked by stating Igbo Market woman in Sambo Garri printed leaflets of dead bodies of politicians from northern region of Nigeria. Again, anybody with peanut size of brain will understand that an average Muslim could not have being able to snap the photograph of dead Bello or Balewa lying in state talk less of Igbo market woman. The leaflets with the dead pictures of Bello and Balewa were printed by New Nigerian Newspaper based in Kaduna and distributed throughout northern region in order to incite unrest.

It is very funny and refreshing to read from Nigerian intellectuals such as Damola Awoyokun. In the case of the manufacturing of Biafran Ogbunigwe, the impostor remembered the Irish journalist in Donal Musgrave who uncovered the American and for unknown reason forgot the name of “bespectacled” American mercenary from MIT who trained Biafrans on how to use fertilizers in making of bombs.

In fact, I really do not know where to start or stop with the craps spewed by this ill-informed extrovert called Damola Awoyokun. Even the so-called issue of Midwestern region invasion by Biafra has been dealt on this forum.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by DuduNegro: 4:24pm On Feb 14, 2013
Dede1:

Honestly speaking, if there is anybody babbling about anything or grasping for air on this discussion, it is you. There is nothing of intellectual discussion about the crap written by Damola Awoyokun in response to Achebe’s memoir about Nigeria\Biafra civil war.

It is childish to compare the ceremonial wrestling contests between Modakeke and Ife with shooting war known as Nigeria\Biafra civil war.

He equally displayed lack of knowledge on military issues when he stated Azikiwe’s bodyguards facilitated Major Ifeajuna’s arrest of Balewa. I really wondered if the ninny understood the Major Ifeajuna was the BM of 2nd Brigade.

In another stanza, he ignorantly latched onto imaginary massacre of Ibibio, Efik and Annang by Biafran soldiers. Again, the two able field commanders of Biafran army in the sector in discussion were sons of the soil.

He talked about Okigbo. In this instence yet again, he exposed his ignorance in the issue of warfare. Anybody who has few atoms of brain cell can easily realized a frontline guerrilla fighter can not fighting gun battle at the time hopping from one country to another in search of ammunition. Okigbo has never being trained in weapon handling before the war and it will amount to idiocy for Biafran government to send Okigbo in search of weapon for Biafra.

Yet in another display of inherent ignorance, he dwelled on the imagery Igbo celebration and taunting after January 15, 1966. The only two cities where people celebarted January 15, 1966 coup were Lagos and Ibadan. The first exponent of such crap of Igbo celebration is Nowa Omoigui who ignorantly claimed the artist of Ewu Na Ebe Akwa was Celestine Ukwu, an Igbo musician who collaborated with the January 15, 1966 coup plotters in release of the record. Well, the hack writer in Nawa Omoigui had been shamed when actual artist of Ewu Na Ebe Akwa was revealed to him.

Nowa Omoigui has also been rebuked by stating Igbo Market woman in Sambo Garri printed leaflets of dead bodies of politicians from northern region of Nigeria. Again, anybody with peanut size of brain will understand that an average Muslim could not have being able to snap the photograph of dead Bello or Balewa lying in state talk less of Igbo market woman. The leaflets with the dead pictures of Bello and Balewa were printed by New Nigerian Newspaper based in Kaduna and distributed throughout northern region in order to incite unrest.

In fact, I really do not know where to start or stop with the craps spewed by this ill-informed extrovert called Damola Awoyokun. Even the so-called issue of Midwestern region invasion by Biafra has been dealt on this forum.

......nobody is intelligent or have brain unless they are biafrans. can you beg the god of biafra to distribute intelligence and brains more fairly when ojukwu reincarnates?

4 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by aljharem(m): 4:47pm On Feb 14, 2013
tomakint:
You are trying to evade the issue in my post to you!!! Leave the Igbos out of your calculations they are the ones who felt the heat not we (the Yorubas) so what?

hmmm Ezeuche. I told you I know Igbos and how each one of them speak on Nairaland

You were definatly under the moniker of Ezeuche. Laugh all you might but you know the truth
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by tomakint: 4:53pm On Feb 14, 2013
alj harem:

hmmm Ezeuche. I told you I know Igbos and how each one of them speak on Nairaland

You were definatly under the moniker of Ezeuche. Laugh all you might but you know the truth

Sorry I had to laugh at the bolded, cheesy cheesy cheesy you alone and perhaps your alter ego (dayokanu) know who is this and that on nairaland, very pathetic indeed, no wonder you talk like a typical double-mouthed dolt, ok keep at it while I am watching the open display of your madness and stu.pidity in the sidelines! Ezeuche ko, Eze nkaku ni, terrible liar!! cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by joeyfire(m): 4:57pm On Feb 14, 2013
texazzpete:

I'm interested in clarifying some facts. Do you have a link to the said US embassy reports quoted?
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by joeyfire(m): 5:05pm On Feb 14, 2013
Dede1:

Decree 40 was passed by Ironsi’s regime against distribution of leaflets, any form of taunting or dancing to songs regarded as offensive to any group. The original author is a basement fool. By the time I have finished with him\her, a floor moping job would be hard to come by talk less executive editor at PwC Review. The author totally displayed his\her ignorance on military issues. Major Ifeajuna, as the BM (Brigade Major) of 2nd Brigade, Lagos did not need the sentries at Azikiwe’s resident to kill the prime minister. Major Ifeajuna had entire Brigade to himself.

It is documented and on record the cities that witnessed joyous jubilation at the hearing of January 15, 1966 were Lagos and Ibadan.

Bless your heart for this Dede1. I have some digging to do
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 6:14pm On Feb 14, 2013
tomakint:

When will you stop telling us that you're Yoruba? Do you have to repeat this to yourself daily to give you an assurance of your identity?
You're a Yoruba yet all over NL any thread that attack Yorubas is usually your choice, and you're always quick to side with your flat headed relatives?
Stop fooling yourself, instinctive human behaviours are usually in respond to stimuli, I've never seen someone who rather than quickly take his finger off fire put it more into it.
For once make your point and stop telling us how much Yoruba you are otherwise as dende mor00n recommended you'll be sacrificed to Ogun the god of iron.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by kunlekunle: 6:19pm On Feb 14, 2013
Dede1:

These are pure nonsensical conjures that have no place in history. It is funny a coward is acting like a coward and still insists he\she is not a coward. There was one military governor in western region. A military governor does not have a battalion of orderlies. Again, it was an act of inherent loudmouth employed by turncoats.

culled from the last meeting between Awolow and ojukwu.

Ikemba: I started off this struggle in July with 120 rifles to defend
the entirety of the East. I took my stand knowing fully well
that by doing so, whilst carving my name in history, I was
signing also my death warrant.

what sane person would start a war with 120 rifles.
To me he sacrificed the biafrans.

Another person said, my land is occupied bt 35,000 armed soldiers, i need to apply wisdom, his decision saved the yorubas and you saw the brave one that did HUSEIN BOLT.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 14, 2013
kunlekunle:

Another person said, my land is occupied bt 35,000 armed soldiers, i need to apply wisdom, his decision saved the yorubas and you saw the brave one that did HUSEIN BOLT.

Don't mind dende mor0n he's simply irredeemable especially at his age. 'Agbalagba akan to ko si garawa'

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by dayokanu(m): 6:53pm On Feb 14, 2013
donedy: I'm still confused why the only people complaining about this book are the Yourubas. I'm from Kogi and I have nothing against the book.

Quotes from the Kogi boy. I dont understand why some people would deny their own region Are you ashamed of being Ibo?

donedy:
i. Let me speak in Igbo " Nna m siri, ara ga-agbaa ndi ara. Aturu ocha."

My hommie, Guled, said you should stop disgracing him.

donedy:

Your worst regret is that you was not born Igbo, which has led you to hate on anything Igbo: If you cannot be Igbo, nobody else will.

donedy: A true Nigerian hero, poster. At least you must be smart enough to recognize that only heroes are given State Burial. Let those deluded hate-filled people live in their illusive world.

Did Awo have the same level State burial that Ojukwu had, let alone Abiola.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 6:55pm On Feb 14, 2013
Goodness!!! Still on Achebe's Goebbels-esque memoir?!
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by MAYOWAAK: 6:58pm On Feb 14, 2013
Cyber Nigerian Civil War
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by dayokanu(m): 7:00pm On Feb 14, 2013
inufele2:

When will you stop telling us that you're Yoruba? Do you have to repeat this to yourself daily to give you an assurance of your identity?
You're a Yoruba yet all over NL any thread that attack Yorubas is usually your choice, and you're always quick to side with your flat headed relatives?
Stop fooling yourself, instinctive human behaviours are usually in respond to stimuli, I've never seen someone who rather than quickly take his finger off fire put it more into it.
For once make your point and stop telling us how much Yoruba you are otherwise as dende mor00n recommended you'll be sacrificed to Ogun the god of iron.

He would come back with his other monickers Andre uweh, Ngodigha, Abadaba

he went to school in Yorubaland has qualified him to be Yoruba in his own deluded mind
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by modicum: 7:01pm On Feb 14, 2013
It is understandable that many Southwesterners reacted with so much anger at what the author said about Chief Awolowo. However, what interests me more is Pa Achebe's honest indictment of himself: throughout the war he had two vehicles and drivers and ran out of fuel only once. He lived in all this comfort while those he described as his brothers and sisters were dropping dead left, right and centre as a result of hunger.What I find intiguing is that the book is far far cheaper to buy in the Southwest than in the Southeast from where the author hails. In the East, it is business first.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by texazzpete(m): 7:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
Dede1:

He equally displayed lack of knowledge on military issues when he stated Azikiwe’s bodyguards facilitated Major Ifeajuna’s arrest of Balewa. I really wondered if the ninny understood Major Ifeajuna was the BM of 2nd Brigade.

He talked about Okigbo. In this instence yet again, he exposed his ignorance in the issue of warfare. Anybody who has few atoms of brain cell can easily realized a frontline guerrilla fighter can not be fighting gun battle at the time hopping from one country to another in search of ammunition. Okigbo has never been trained in weapon handling before the war and it will amount to idiocy for Biafran government to send Okigbo in search of weapon for Biafra.

It is very funny and refreshing to read from Nigerian intellectuals such as Damola Awoyokun. In the case of the manufacturing of Biafran Ogbunigwe, the impostor remembered the Irish journalist in Donal Musgrave who uncovered the American and for unknown reason forgot the name of “bespectacled” American mercenary from MIT who trained Biafrans on how to use fertilizers in making of bombs.

I love how you use the word 'Shamed' to refer to holes exposed in Omoigui's prose yet refrain from any form of condemnation for any of the other gaping holes exposed in Achebe's book. Should Achebe now be 'shamed' since investigation from non-aligned 3rd parties like the UN failed to turn up any evidence of a massacre of nuns in Abakiliki?

While you castigate Damola for his stories about Okigbo's involvement in gun running, did you miss the part where he stated his source was Mr. Obi Nwakanma, a well-known IGBO columnist?

You say Damola is lying about reprisal killing of Northerners...yet in your blind fury you do not realize he is quoting Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, an Igbo son who achieved much more lofty heights than your beloved Achebe?

I am waiting for your rejoinder towards Zik and Obi Nwakanma cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Dede1(m): 7:13pm On Feb 14, 2013
kunlekunle:

Ojukwu was always magnanimous and equally sarcastic in every statement he altered to the press during and after the war. Typical example was a statement such as “president Nigeria never had”. When I said a coward will die 10 miserable deaths before the actual death, I meant every word.

Awolowo displayed the inherent niche for cowardice and total ignorance on military issues when he allegedly claimed that western region was occupied by 35,000 soldiers. This is ridiculously laughable. I doff my heart for loudmouth antics of Yoruba peep. In 1966, Nigeria had two considerable less in strength Brigades and other formations such Recce and Garrison Organization.

A standard battalion takes at least 500 men. The 2nd brigade in the southern Nigeria comprised three battalions namely 1st battalion in Enugu, 2nd Battalion Ikeja and 4th Battalion Abeokwuta. There were small formations such as Recce and Garrison organization at Lagos and Ibadan. It takes at least 500 men to form a battalion. In case of Nigeria in 1966, the battalions were considerable undermanned.

For posterity sake, let me allot the number of full battalion to 2nd and 4th which sum up to 1000 men. Since both the Recce and two Garrisons are smaller formations than battalion, I shall be generous in granting 1000 men to the combined formations. Now those of you who studied mathematics, can 2000 men translate into 35,000 armed men? Bear in mind also that another battalion that made up the 2nd Brigade was 1st Battalion at Enugu with at least 500 men.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vanbonattel: 7:20pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ha, I see the yourubas are still afraid of the ever increasing Igbo supremacy?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

70 Christians Massacred In Plateau / Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians / President Buhari Visits Kano State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.