Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians (20281 Views)

Doyin Okupe Blasts Osinbajo:"You Lied In Church That Jonathan Built No Road'(pic / Buhari Did Not Disown The Campaign Document, “My Covenant With Nigerians", In UK / Femi Olu-Kayode Denies Disowning Any Of His Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by BannedOtherView: 1:18pm On Sep 01, 2015
INVESTIGATION: Buhari, APC lied in disowning campaign document, “My Covenant With Nigerians”

September 1, 2015

[img]http://media.premiumtimesng.com/wp-content/files/2015/01/800x501xAPC-Campaign-in-Awka.jpg.pagespeed.ic.OBhrvkxI2T.webp[/img]

The claims by President Muhammadu Buhari and his party, the All Progressives Congress, that a key campaign document, “My Covenant With Nigerians” did not emerge from them is false and misleading, a PREMIUM TIMES investigation has shown.

Extensive checks by this newspaper showed that not only was the document circulated in the run-up to the April 11 presidential election by staff of Mr. Buhari’s campaign organization, the literature was also extensively promoted by party officials, including using the APC website to do so.

It was the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, who kicked off the campaign of distancing the APC and Mr. Buhari from two of the key campaign documents that apparently swayed a lot of votes for the president and his party.

In a widely circulated opinion article published on August 28, Mr. Shehu wrote, “In the course of electioneering, the presidential campaign had so many centres of public communication which, for whatever reason, were on the loose.

“There is a certain document tagged ‘One Hundred Things Buhari Will Do in 100 Days’ and the other, ‘My Covenant With Nigerians’. Both pamphlets bore the authorized party logo but as the Director of Media and Communications in that campaign, I did not fund or authorize any of those. I can equally bet my last kobo that candidate Buhari did not see or authorize those publications.

“As a consequence of these publications, expectations have been raised unreasonably, that as President, Muhammadu Buhari will wave his hand and all the problems that the country faces- insecurity, corruption, unemployment, poor infrastructure – would go away.”

On Monday, the National Publicity Secretary for the APC, Lai Mohammed, picked the baton from where Mr. Shehu dropped it. Speaking during an interview with Channels Television, Mr. Mohammed said President Buhari and the party had nothing to do with any other campaign materials apart from the APC manifesto and constitution.

“Buhari never promised to do anything in 100 days, that’s the honest truth,” Mr. Mohammed. “You see, when you are running a campaign, all kinds of literature will emerge from all sorts of groups but there are only two documents that you can judge a party with: That is the constitution of the party and the manifesto of the party.

“Those are the only two documents that are registered with the Independent National Electoral Commission; you can go to court or hold a party accountable for them.”

Both officials spoke just as Nigerians began the countdown to Mr. Buhari’s first 100 days in office with conversations going on over whether the president and his party are on the path to delivering the “change” they promised. Mr. Buhari would be 100-day old in office on Saturday, September 5.

But investigations by this newspaper showed that by disowning the “My Covenant With Nigerians” document, President Buhari and his party were likely being dishonest and deceitful.

While a volunteer group backed by the party and the presidential campaign may have produced the document on ‘One Hundred Things Buhari Will Do in 100 Days’, PREMIUM TIMES can authoritatively report that the policy and research directorate of the APC presidential campaign, headed by former Governor Kayode Fayemi, produced the covenant document.

Mr. Fayemi could not be reached for comments Tuesday. His aides say he is travelling in Cote D’ivoire with Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.
Party insiders said the document, which harmonised promises contained in the party’s manifesto and various campaign speeches by Mr. Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, was produced after rigorous and extensive deliberation with top campaign officials and the president himself.

After the president signed off on the final version of the covenant, insiders say, the document was emailed to journalists at the time by well-known campaign staff charged with circulating publicity materials for the organization during the period.

For instance, Egghead Odewale, who worked at the headquarters of the presidential campaign in Abuja, sent a PDF version of the document to PREMIUM TIMES on March 12.

Apparently concerned that the document was not getting enough publicity, another campaign official emailed a word version to reporters on March 16.

Newspapers and websites thereafter ran several stories on the document.

Vanguard’s version of the report, entitled “My contract with Nigeria – Buhari” was later republished by the APC on its website at 8:52 a.m on March 17.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by BannedOtherView: 1:18pm On Sep 01, 2015
[img]http://media.premiumtimesng.com/wp-content/files/2015/09/620x314xScreen-Shot-2015-09-01-at-8.30.08-AM.png.pagespeed.ic.lJis0-WDmv.webp[/img]

In signing off on the 16-page document, Mr. Buhari said in an introductory note, “This covenant is to outline my agenda for Nigeria and provide a bird’s eye view of how we intend to bring about the change that our country needs and deserves.

“The covenant is derived from the manifesto of my party, the All Progressives Congress. It however represents my pledge to you all when I become your president.”

Mr. Buhari now appeared challenged delivering on the promises contained in the covenant, and his team has been battling to disown the document.

For instance, the document quoted the then presidential candidate as promising to publicly declare his assets and liabilities while also encouraging his political appointees to do so. He is yet to fulfill that promise.

The then Lagos governor, Babatunde Fashola, who was in charge of fundraising for the campaign, delivered a campaign speech on March 23, where he clearly referred to the document.

“The APC is proud to have as its flag-bearer, a patriot with the public stature and integrity of Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, who has unreservedly committed to this vision and mission as reflected in his Covenant with Nigerians and campaigns promises,” Mr. Fashola said at a meeting of APC governors at the Banquet Hall of the Imo State Government House, Owerri.

“It is not by accident that teeming millions of Nigerians are showing their support effusively for Gen. Buhari.”

PREMIUM TIMES can also report that “The Covenant With Nigeria” is also one of the documents the Ahmed Joda-led Transition Committee used in producing an 800-page report detailing swift steps Mr. Buhari must take to fix Nigeria.

The volume of the report that dealt with social issues repeatedly referred to the document now being disowned. For instance, in a subsection on environment and climate change, the committee reminded the president of his promises as contained in “The Covenant With Nigerians”, and then proceeded to make recommendations.

But when contacted Tuesday, Mr. Shehu insisted the party and the campaign had no knowledge of the document.

He quoted the president as saying he would not engage in deception, and would never allow himself to be tagged with a document he had no knowledge of.

Source:http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/189368-investigation-buhari-apc-lied-in-disowning-campaign-document-my-covenant-with-nigerians.html

9 Likes

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by saaedlee: 1:19pm On Sep 01, 2015
And

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by Nobody: 1:20pm On Sep 01, 2015
So
*modifier* All what I know is that this administration will be Far better than the past one. Wailing wailers can continue to wail for all I care. Nonsense

6 Likes

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by benedictnsi(m): 1:23pm On Sep 01, 2015
Did APC also lie when they admit your administration is obviously "NORTHOCRACY"

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by CR77(f): 1:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
APC is just full of propaganda and lies.

123 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by ionsman: 1:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
They are politicians. ..Lying is allowed.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by CR77(f): 1:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
That tongue
sameer1212:
So
Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by Emekamex(m): 1:35pm On Sep 01, 2015
The lying musketeers

72 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by muhammed10: 1:35pm On Sep 01, 2015
Wow

1 Like

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by gurunlocker: 1:35pm On Sep 01, 2015
any news having APC in it this days is not worth reading...... lies inside lie

96 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by ladyF(f): 1:35pm On Sep 01, 2015
Honestly, I have to admit, APC no try for this thing wey dem do so.

They have successfully removed all pre-existing benchmark(s) the public may want to use for future assessment/eveluation of their performance which is beyond fraudulent. Sai Buhari sha!

It's [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by frinx: 1:35pm On Sep 01, 2015
Too many Propaganda, Deceit, etc attached to the ruling Party...

Just fix Nigeria like you campaign, is that too much to ask?

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by Suspect33(m): 1:35pm On Sep 01, 2015
Say no to ethnicism, we are one
Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by MadCow1: 1:35pm On Sep 01, 2015
WARNING:: Read with Caution:: Wailers are Wailing..

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by ddippset(m): 1:36pm On Sep 01, 2015
Convenant or no Convenant. 100 days or 30 days. Buhari and the apc have Apparently being overwhelmed by the problems of Nigeria. The mess made by Jonathan and his cohorts was grossly underestimated. Fucck 30 days, 100 days, 6 months and all these nonsensical, inconsequential timelines. The president should just try to transform all sectors of the country by the end of his 2nd year in service. Nigerians would forgive, forget and vote him in again.

13 Likes

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by luvinhubby(m): 1:36pm On Sep 01, 2015
A govt founded on lies will require nothing but lies to sustain it.

Nigerians have been scammed by a very big political fraud called APC & 4yrs is a very long time to live with this fraud.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by linkystar: 1:36pm On Sep 01, 2015
APC propaganda too much. Enough of these stories. Let's president work fast & fix issues on ground

16 Likes

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 01, 2015
Am seeing things

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by sparkwil(m): 1:36pm On Sep 01, 2015
We aren't surprised
We weren't expecting any truth from the lying liars.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by uchwar1: 1:37pm On Sep 01, 2015
Ok
Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by tolexy007(m): 1:37pm On Sep 01, 2015
grin

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by muhammed10: 1:37pm On Sep 01, 2015
BUHARI my role model.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by hansad: 1:37pm On Sep 01, 2015
Next is Sahara reporters.

Premium times was one of the brains behind Buhari's campaign of falsehood.

Punch will follow.

The Trio media houses worked with Lai Mohammed during the campaign to make Buhari president.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by hensben(m): 1:37pm On Sep 01, 2015
Okay
Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by Milly02(m): 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
Noted
Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by lekjons(m): 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
pls, who read that sh!t from beginning to end!?

1 Like

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by MrMcJay(m): 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
Silence is consent.

Since the APC didn't deny these promises before we voted them, it stands to reason that their silence constitutes tacit approval and approval of these promises on their behalf.

Assuming without conceding that APC isn't the author these promises, the campaign group made these promises on behalf of their principal which is the party. Hence, they are bound by the principles of agency.

Thirdly, since they were silent and are only coming out to disclaim the promises, the masses who relied on these promises to vote the party have a right to press for the full implementation of these promises. Hence, The APC is estopped from reneging on the promises.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by hotwax: 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
whail
Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by doctokwus: 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
Eventhough I am an unrepentant and unflinching supporter of PMB and his ability to restore this nation,as is clearly becoming manifest already;it doesn't translate to not calling him out when its necessary because the ultimate goal is the restoration of Nigeria, bearing it in mind that a lot of damage has been done already and PMB is not a magician.
Having said that,I make bold to say this past 10days has been one of poor decision making,poor timing and regrettable utterances from those that seem to represent his views.
-On the latest appointments,I still bliv they were all good,but the timing of it was one of the most naive decisions taken by the govt.He cud have delayed the latest appointments till the list of ministers and other advisers is ready when a fairer representation of all regions wud have come to the fore.
-On the latest denial of his campaign pledges:again totally wrong decision and utterly flawed both in content and timing.
Having said that I sincerely feel its high time PMB makes another sacking,that of Garba Shehu:the man has consistently shown he is ill suited for the job with the amount of gaffes he makes, all ending up putting the presidency in badlightsad1)He he was who justified the barring of AIT correspondent during the transition period,a decision not made by PMB.
(2)Garbage Shehu is the person who astoundingly said that the declaration of assets of PMB to the CCB was tantamount to his public declaration pledge.It was another bad press and totally wrong.
(3)He is also the one that has started this denial again.
I am having the feeling that Shehu is a mole planted by Atiku Abubakar, who he had formerly served as media assistant to, to put PMB in bad light in the public eye and therefore discredit him.
PMB is on the right track and must therefore do the following now to keep on track and reverse these unnecessary discourse on the mundane while very serious issues confront the nation:
-Declare publicly his assets.
-Put out the list of ministers and other appointees with a deliberate effort to placate the Southeast, but with honest trusted men/women from the area;attorney general and finance ministry portfolios wud help a great deal.
-Immediately sack Garba Shehu.
Support of diehards like me does not equate to turning a blind eye to mistakes and errors of the PMB govt and calling him out on these.
The poor decisions and errors of the past week or so should not repeat itself.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, APC Lied In Disowning Campaign Document, “my Covenant With Nigerians by sparkwil(m): 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
Emekamex:
The lying musketeers

grin grin grin grin
No let them catch u oo grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Taraba Governorship: Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ishaku’s Election / Tribute Night For Funke Olakunrin, Daughter Of Afenifere Leader (Photos) / Under Buhari, Nigeria Records Worst Attacks On Journalists In 34 Years -PremiumT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.