Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,323 members, 7,829,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent (5025 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Happy Ash Wednesday To Nairalanders / Reflection/homily: Third (3rd) Sunday Of Lent Year C (march 3 2013) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by kaslaw: 11:22am On Feb 13, 2013
Observin my fastin nd d ash on my 4head God give me strength last year i did 38 bt by God's grace na 40tins
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by Orikinla(m): 11:33am On Feb 13, 2013
May the Holy Spirit help us to be faithful and obedient to GOD by overcoming temptations, trials and weaknesses of the flesh.

1 Like

Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by vanstanzy(m): 11:47am On Feb 13, 2013
Orikinla: May the Holy Spirit help us to be faithful and obedient to GOD by overcoming temptations, trials and weaknesses of the flesh.

AMEN!!!!!
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by othenok(f): 11:51am On Feb 13, 2013
Went for morning mass today and was renergized to give God my all dis 40 days and beyond.
God grant me the grace love, give and forgive this season and beyond.
Grant me the grace to fast from those things I that I 've slowly turned into mini gods in my life. Amen.
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by uhuns: 11:56am On Feb 13, 2013
I encourage all to book mass for
1.a friend in need.
2. to all who dont have anyone to pray for them.
3.and to all catholics to strengthin their Faith.

I encourage you all to remember to pray more for people around you.

as for me my prayer intension for Nl catholics
is for the almighty God to reveil him self more to us.
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by Revolva(m): 11:58am On Feb 13, 2013
Ash wednesday!!!! All na wash jare..mythology all these thing never existed...its formulated by man not Jah!! So noting concern me about all this religious bullshit..this is the survival times

1 Like

Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by poweredcom(m): 12:00pm On Feb 13, 2013
Wait...ash wednesday ...kai nai be say na ashawo wednesday...oya I just Bleep one ashi yesterday..ohhh I should ave waited till today!!!sha...well ok I will ave my own ash from tricia!! Oo d gal ass na selele
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by merengue: 12:00pm On Feb 13, 2013
[quote author=Rooneyboy]

U are obviously an ignorant fellow.[/quot

If not for Lent, I for buy you alcohol. Pay no heed to IT. IT just wants attention.
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by dmcdad: 12:20pm On Feb 13, 2013
Rooneyboy:

Sure, I'm going to take this year's own very seriously, didn't observe last year's own as much as I would have loved to.
No be only you bro...
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by dmcdad: 12:22pm On Feb 13, 2013
kaslaw: Observin my fastin nd d ash on my 4head God give me strength last year i did 38 bt by God's grace na 40tins
Guy you try that last year oooo. Me no even try at all sef.... Well, by his grace, this year is gonna be different
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by dmcdad: 12:24pm On Feb 13, 2013
othenok: Went for morning mass today and was renergized to give God my all dis 40 days and beyond.
God grant me the grace love, give and forgive this season and beyond.
Grant me the grace to fast from those things I that I 've slowly turned into mini gods in my life. Amen.
Amen!!!
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by dmcdad: 12:24pm On Feb 13, 2013
uhuns: I encourage all to book mass for
1.a friend in need.
2. to all who dont have anyone to pray for them.
3.and to all catholics to strengthin their Faith.

I encourage you all to remember to pray more for people around you.

as for me my prayer intension for Nl catholics
is for the almighty God to reveil him self more to us.
Amen bruv...
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by Jilo83(m): 4:27pm On Feb 13, 2013
[quote author=tonmandy][/quote] why insulting me? Afterall, dis is my trend. Wat i mean is dat, d moderator wil prefer val trend 2 dis 1.
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by WAP: 4:41pm On Feb 13, 2013
Ash Wednesday is not written anywhere in the Bible; It is a concept by some people, majorly the roman catholic. The basis cannot be traced to the Bible and we must avoid practices that lead us back to Idol worship. Christians are to fast and pray every time and not necessary during lent alone. We are to fast and pray and fight a good fight of faith. Any practices that cannot be traced to the Bible are heresies drawing us back to idol worship. BEWARE!!
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by RexioKlasik(m): 6:36pm On Feb 13, 2013
ITbomb:
Afo ado Catholic ?

*singing*
ami ndi eyen catholic
mma mbout idem mmi.
nyetiene ufok abasi
osong tutu mkpa mmi

cheesy
SlyIg: Ami ndi ntong!
aye yung oyong ntong!
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by alexleo(m): 7:19pm On Feb 13, 2013
SATANIC ASH. NONSENSE CATHOLIC INVENTION. AM NOT PART OF IT.
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by marianaj(f): 8:02pm On Feb 13, 2013
alexleo: SATANIC ASH. NONSENSE CATHOLIC INVENTION. AM NOT PART OF IT.
be careful with d words that come out of ur mouth,,,,,,
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by marianaj(f): 8:08pm On Feb 13, 2013
WAP: Ash Wednesday is not written anywhere in the Bible; It is a concept by some people, majorly the roman catholic. The basis cannot be traced to the Bible and we must avoid practices that lead us back to Idol worship. Christians are to fast and pray every time and not necessary during lent alone. We are to fast and pray and fight a good fight of faith. Any practices that cannot be traced to the Bible are heresies drawing us back to idol worship. BEWARE!!
u think u know the bible,,,,it is quite obvious from ur comment that u don't,,,,,..my simple advice for u is that if u don't know something u ask and make research instead of wallowing in ignorance
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by marianaj(f): 8:16pm On Feb 13, 2013
Ash wednesday gives us a 2nd chance 2 reflect on our lives,,,in dis season of lent we take a look at all those tins dat has made us fall & we make concious efforts not 2 fall again.It also reveals our humanity 2 us-4rm dust we were made & 2 dust we'll surely return...
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by dmcdad: 8:35pm On Feb 13, 2013
mariana...j:
u think u know the bible,,,,it is quite obvious from ur comment that u don't,,,,,..my simple advice for u is that if u don't know something u ask and make research instead of wallowing in ignorance
You even have the time to educate ignorant and truancy people... They will never learn

1 Like

Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by Jilo83(m): 8:43pm On Feb 13, 2013
WAP: Ash Wednesday is not written anywhere in the Bible; It is a concept by some people, majorly the roman catholic. The basis cannot be traced to the Bible and we must avoid practices that lead us back to Idol worship. Christians are to fast and pray every time and not necessary during lent alone. We are to fast and pray and fight a good fight of faith. Any practices that cannot be traced to the Bible are heresies drawing us back to idol worship. BEWARE!!
Ash-wed is not in d Bible as d word xmas is not in d Bible and u mark it evry yr. Also d word Bible, Easter is not found in d Bible. Grow up menn!
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by Delightbaby(f): 10:15pm On Feb 13, 2013
OH LORD, pls show us mercy in dis year's lenten season, In JESUS NAME. Amen
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by prairie(f): 10:50pm On Feb 13, 2013
[quote author=tonmandy][/quote] your comment isnt christian, U aint God remember?
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by prairie(f): 10:57pm On Feb 13, 2013
ash was used in the bible wella to signify repentance so dont gimme dat
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by poweredcom(m): 11:25pm On Feb 13, 2013
prairie: ash was used in the bible wella to signify repentance so dont gimme dat
Na lie jare na ashawo wednesday ...I carry two ashi today amen
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by kalunomics(m): 12:01am On Feb 14, 2013
hurricaneChris:
Dominus vobiscum
Et c.um spiritu tuo
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by RevOfiaeli: 12:07am On Feb 14, 2013
>Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Season of Lent. It is a season of penance, reflection, and fasting which prepares us for Christ's Resurrection on Easter Sunday, through which we attain redemption.
>Why we receive the ashes
>Following the example of the Nine vites, who did penance in sackcloth and ashes, our foreheads are marked with ashes to humble our hearts and reminds us that life passes away on Earth. We remember this when we are told
>"Remember, Man is dust, and unto dust you shall return."
>Ashes are a symbol of penance made sacramental by the blessing of the Church, and they help us develop a spirit of humility and sacrifice.
>The distribution of ashes comes from a ceremony of ages past. Christians who had committed grave faults performed public penance. On Ash Wednesday, the Bishop blessed the hair shirts which they were to wear during the forty days of penance, and sprinkled over them ashes made from the palms from the previous year. Then, while the faithful recited the Seven Penitential Psalms, the penitents were turned out of the church because of their sins -- just as Adam, the first man, was turned out of Paradise because of his disobedience. The penitents did not enter the church again until Maundy Thursday after having won reconciliation by the toil of forty days' penance and sacramental absolution. Later, all Christians, whether public or secret penitents, came to receive ashes out of devotion. In earlier times, the distribution of ashes was followed by a penitential procession.
>The Ashes
>The ashes are made from the blessed palms used in the Palm Sunday celebration of the previous year. The ashes are christened with Holy Water and are scented by exposure to incense. While the ashes symbolize penance and contrition, they are also a reminder that God is gracious and merciful to those who call on Him with repentant hearts. His Divine mercy is of utmost importance during the season of Lent, and the Church calls on us to seek that mercy during the entire Lenten season with reflection, prayer and penance.
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by mollie12: 2:28am On Feb 14, 2013
hurricaneChris: The ash on our foreheads reminds us that we are made of ash, and to that same ash we shall return one day.

Dominus vobiscum

Sorry, but we were made of dust, not ash. No offence, I guess I'm just OCD'd on fundamental errors like this.
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by Ubenedictus(m): 11:58am On Feb 14, 2013
pyyxxaro: WHO IS THE NEW POPE ?
what new pope? Pope benedict is still pope until feb 28 wen sede vacante will will start. That is wen to start talking of a new pope.
Re: Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent by prairie(f): 3:27pm On Feb 14, 2013
poweredcom:
Na lie jare na ashawo wednesday ...I carry two ashi today amen
Go and refurbish ur brain then come back and talk to me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christians State Your Reason For Believing In GOD / See TB Joshua’s 3 Beautiful Children, Achievements And Bio / The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.