Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day (9621 Views)

Nairalanders Share Your Valentine Pictures / If You Talk To Girls In These 3 Ways, They Will Fall Crazily In Love With You / Share Your Valentine's Day Gifts Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by member5: 12:16am On Feb 13, 2013
In this day and age, smartphones have become almost necessary to function in everyday life. From the necessity of prompt response and immediate contact in many fields of work to the entertainment of games like Temple Run 2 and Scramble With Friends, smartphones have taken over our lives.

However, the constant connection with the outside world that smartphones have provided threaten our ability to truly enjoy and reap the benefits of the deep, emotional connections we make with others in person. On Valentine’s Day, these threats are heightened; on the one day of the year, the constant updates on the lives of others through our smartphones pose various dangers to our love life and our sanity on Valentine’s Day.

1. It’s a constant distraction:

When you’re constantly in contact with everyone else via Facebook, Twitter, email, GChat, and texting, you’re not focusing on the emotional connection you share with that special someone on Valentine’s Day. This kind of distraction can leave you emotionally removed and inadvertently make your loved one feel neglected by your divided attention, even when you’re not actively surfing the Web on your phone.

2. It reduces you to making petty comparisons between your life and the lives of others:

Constantly being connected means you will constantly be bombarded with gooey Facebook statuses and romantic Instagram pictures of other people’s dates. If you’re single, this will cause you to compare your life to the lives of other couples in an extremely unhealthy way. If you’re in a relationship, this causes you to stop focusing on your own relationship on Valentine’s Day, comparing your cute couple-y Instagrammed photos to other people’s photos.

3. It separates you from the reality of the world:

Smartphones oftentimes help us ignore the reality of life, sending us into an alternate reality that exists only in cyberspace. This hinders our ability to make more personal connections and reduces our relationships with others to quick texts and skimming through our news feeds. On Valentine’s Day, we shouldn’t be treating our personal relationships so cavalierly; instead, we should do what we can to give our connections with others our full attention.

So this Valentine’s Day, I dare you all to try something wild and crazy: turn off your smartphone. If that proves too difficult, or if your work demands prevent you from doing so, make every effort to minimize your smartphone usage. Instead, focus on the love you have for those that mean the most to you and your personal connections with others in real life.

And instead of dividing your attention between your own life and the lives of your Twitter followers and Facebook friends, focus on the people who you truly care for and the people that truly care for you: they are the ones who really matter this Valentine’s Day.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/25365/3-ways-smartphones-can-and-will-ruin-your-valentine-s-day

3 Likes

Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by suxes2005(m): 7:04am On Feb 13, 2013
1st to comment.....

Had it been i'm old enough to have a gf, i would have
divorced her for now and come back after val....
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by henchamb(m): 1:51pm On Feb 13, 2013
2nd to reply, first time achieving such feat. one smartphone for seun

2 Likes

Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by fittty(m): 1:52pm On Feb 13, 2013
Another valentine topic! angry **smdh**
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by fittty(m): 1:53pm On Feb 13, 2013
henchamb: 2nd to reply, first time achieving such feat. one smartphone for seun

Moronn! angry

6 Likes

Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by ebamma(m): 1:53pm On Feb 13, 2013
the mods are to be blamed
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by Leadn(m): 1:54pm On Feb 13, 2013
[quote author=بوكو ][/quote]

This yur monicker cheesy cheesy grin
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by iamswizz(m): 1:54pm On Feb 13, 2013
storyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by pboiskinpy(m): 2:03pm On Feb 13, 2013
Kk,I don hear
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by Friedrich080(m): 2:03pm On Feb 13, 2013
fittty:

Moronn! angry

u b mumu...

5 Likes

Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by mizuagie(m): 2:03pm On Feb 13, 2013
RUBBISH undecided
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by ceejay80s(m): 2:05pm On Feb 13, 2013
3 is a crowd
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by Nasri100(m): 2:07pm On Feb 13, 2013
So itumo?
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by innovations(m): 2:10pm On Feb 13, 2013
The post is good...thumpup@op
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 13, 2013
angryi rili dnt buy dat idea!
Its totally wrng
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by creativemusic: 2:12pm On Feb 13, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by MMM2(m): 2:15pm On Feb 13, 2013
I thought dey postponed valentine's day angry
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by shadyJ: 2:15pm On Feb 13, 2013
Bance make her dance!!!
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by Friedrich080(m): 2:24pm On Feb 13, 2013
I get better topic to make d frontpage Seun..
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by ikechukz(m): 2:28pm On Feb 13, 2013
Since i would be spending valentine alone,there is no way it can ruin anything for me.Actually its my val.
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by xynerise: 2:32pm On Feb 13, 2013
We can we do? undecided. Imagine me surfing the internet inside toilet undecided
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by BlackPeni5: 2:37pm On Feb 13, 2013
Ok...throwing away my blackberry 10 into the lagoon first thing on Valentines day.
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by omocheche(f): 2:40pm On Feb 13, 2013
Why?
suxes2005: Had it been i'm old enough to have a gf, i would have
divorced her for now and come back after val....
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by billionman: 2:45pm On Feb 13, 2013
So it's only on val's day that smartphones will affect us? What's even the big deal with this day especially in nairaland? Any topic that has the word "Valentine" now make front page.

***Information to those that have not achieved the feat of their post hitting front page, just and Valentine to whatever you want to post and viola it will be on front page. It's just a little secret. Don't let them know I told you***
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 13, 2013
iamswizz: storyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

nonsense
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by Sike(m): 4:10pm On Feb 13, 2013
Na wa o.... Wetin this Valentine go cause ehn!!
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by suxes2005(m): 4:29pm On Feb 13, 2013
omocheche: Why?

Google answers all Qs
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by Archmed(m): 5:14pm On Feb 13, 2013
February 14 INSTALLING LOVE.
███████████░░░░░░░░░░ 44%
Installation failed. Error 404:
troubleshooting for causes.. RESULT :: Pls
INSTALL MONEY FIRST!!!=))

2 Likes

Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by Crankshaft: 6:41pm On Feb 13, 2013
To avoid being banned,
please ensure that your post
is not offensive to smart phone.
Re: 3 Ways Smartphones Can Ruin Your Valentine’s Day by TDIsaac(m): 9:10pm On Feb 13, 2013
These are nice tips. Meanwhile they should not be applied to valentine's day alone. They are useful in all relationships. Divided attention doesn't help matters when people are together. To everyone who believes in celebrating val's day with sense of responsibility and decency, i wish u a hitch free celebration. LOVE IS ALL.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help! I Cant Locate My Girlfriend G.spot. [graphic]* / Lady Rushed To The Hospital After Her Dog Tore Her Vag!na While Give Her Head Ph / Pupil In Uniform Twerks On School Ground During Break, Spark Outrage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.