Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,845 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! (2759 Views)

Enugu Community Decries Arrest Of 76 Villagers After Feud With Fulani Herdsmen / Fearless: Biafrans Protest Despite Being Shot At - Video / Commisioning Of Unit 6 (1320 MW) Egbin Power Station -live On Nta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 9:56pm On Feb 14, 2013
seanet01: Rossike i think you are missing the point.
In 1989, Iran was just generating just 7800 which leaves a shortfall of 2000 according to their needs then.
But Between 1989 and 2009, Iranian Power generation has risen to 45000MW, A MASSIVE difference of almost 35000MW within 20 years.
However PDP that has been in Power for over 16 years cannot add 3000MW to the national grid.
That is what am trying to iron out here not sullying Africans which is a phobia for you.
So in 2015 PDP must go at all cost.
can you imagine the billions of naira spent just to generate less than 5000 megawatts? smh for this country!
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by seanet01: 9:56pm On Feb 14, 2013
taharqa: Another STU.PID thread. I dont care any one telling me how bad things was in Nigeria in terms of Power, I already knew that; I care about what THIS admin is doing to fixing the problem. I care that GEJ inherited an unstable Public Power system that only wheeled about 2000MW, but has stabilised it to about 4500MW (that's over 100% increase in more than 2yrs)- and dat is not considering that Nigeria actuali hv d Capacity to produce about 6700MW today but for Transmission and Distribution concerns. I care that additional 2700MW capacity wud be added to the Grid this year once the remaining 10 NIPP new Power plants are completed (and they wud be completed this year). I care that the over 3000MW Mambilla and Jebba Dam Hydropower, which oda Govts hv been promising for decades without even doing a proper Feasibility Study, are NOW bn CONSTRUCTED by Chinese Loans. I care that hundreds of Transmission/Distribution Lines and substations are been done simultaneously through out the country, just as Gas lines are bn repaired and laid/expanded. I care that the country is currently seeing through what d Harvard Business Study have called 'the single largest Power Privatisation and Reform' in Africa (if not the world); and I KNOW that it wud most certainly change the face of the Power sector in Nigeria once the process concludes in less than 3 months, just as the face of Telecoms was changed foreva in Nigeria afta the Liberalisation/Privatisation Process, which made the nation to not only be consistently amongst the fastest growing Telecoms market in d world but also took the No of Active Lines from about 400, 000 to over 119,000,000 today significantly outpacing those nations that were way ahead of us pre-2005.
You see why i normally referred to you as a VILLAGE MONKEY?
Where in this thread have you seen somebody mentioned GEJ?
There is no reason for that, once we name PDP as the irresponsible government it is, every member of that shameless Party comes into fold.
In Sixteen solid years of PDP led Federal governance, Nigeria have not been able to add just 3000MW to the national grid despite spending billions of dollars on The sector.
Iran within 20 years added 35000MW to its national grid despite being under MASSIVE SANCTIONS.
That is our point not GEJ. GEJ is PDP.
So carry your immature and senseless crap to your village.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by seanet01: 10:02pm On Feb 14, 2013
berem: can you imagine the billions of naira spent just to generate less than 5000 megawatts? smh for this country!
And some folks are still rooting for same PDP?
What a MESS!
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 10:07pm On Feb 14, 2013
Interesting...

All monies allocated to electricity have been used to buy ferraris, bentleys, RRs etc. and build mansions by rich naija folks and their kids in Lagos and Abuja... grin

1 Like

Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by seanet01: 10:10pm On Feb 14, 2013
shymexx: Interesting...

All monies allocated to electricity have been used to buy ferraris, bentleys, RRs etc. and build mansions by rich naija folks and their kids in Lagos and Abuja... grin
Imagine that Shame.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by taharqa: 10:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
seanet01: You see why i normally referred to you as a VILLAGE MONKEY?
Where in this thread have you seen somebody mentioned GEJ?
There is no reason for that, once we fingered PDP as the irresponsible government it is, every member of that shameless Party comes into fold.
In Sixteen solid years of PDP led Federal governance, Nigeria have not been able to add just 3000MW to the national grid despite spending billions of dollars on The sector.
Iran within 20 years added 35000MW to its national grid despite being under MASSIVE SANCTIONS.
That is our point not GEJ. GEJ is PDP.
So carry your immature and senseless crap to your village.
You are Really CRAZZY, I swear. GEJ, who is driving the above moves that wud completely SOLVE our Power problems, is still in PDP the last time I cheeked; now why wud you expect me or any sane person for that matter, to throw HIM away even if I thoroughly dislike d PDP?? Ehmm, how? In any case, what is d alternative? Your precious ACN or is it APC now? Shld I root for them NOW when d problem is been Solved, esp when one of d chief drivers therein (Oga Buhari) was reported to have said in 2011 that we wud hv 24/7 Power in 2019 if he was in Power? If true, why wud you advice me to give away what is capable of finali solving a notoriously recurring MALIGNANT problem, just to try anoda who only promised me solution in a time period I consider too long?? Plz, I will Pass and stick with what I hv now whilst doing every thing I can to make THIS work; you on oda hand, abeg PACK...
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by seanet01: 10:20pm On Feb 14, 2013
taharqa: You are Really CRAZZY, I swear. GEJ, who is driving the above moves that wud completely SOLVE our Power problems, is still in PDP the last time I cheeked; now why wud you expect me or any sane person for that matter, to throw HIM away even if I thoroughly dislike d PDP?? Ehmm, how? In any case, what is d alternative? Your precious ACN or is it APC now? Shld I root for them NOW when d problem is been Solved, esp when one of d chief drivers therein (Oga Buhari) was reported to have said in 2011 that we wud hv 24/7 Power in 2019 if he was in Power? If true, why wud you advice me to give away what is capable of finali solving a notoriously recurring MALIGNANT problem, just to try anoda who only promised me solution in a time period I consider too long?? Plz, I will Pass and stick with what I hv now whilst doing every thing I can to make THIS work; you on oda hand, abeg PACK...
The Buhari you are bringing into this is a trillion miles ahead of Both GEJ and PDP.
Before Buhari came on board on as Head of State, Nigeria was importing Refined Crude Oil, when he came on board he changed the tide and Nigeria was exporting 100,000 barrels of Refined Crude Oil till he left office. That is Governance not the chop make i chop system PDP is using.
Thunder Fire you flat head for your stvpidity.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 10:23pm On Feb 14, 2013
Rosike:
Tell me something. Are you aware that a harsh, dictatorial state is by nature a form of corruption?

They steal your rights.

They steal your liberty.

They steal your voice.

They steal your freedom of religion.

They steal your freedom of association.

They steal your freedom of opinion.

In exchange they give you 24/7 light and cheap food.

So there IS A PRICE.

Don't come here brandishing Iran's achievements without telling the people the price Iranians paid for it.

ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY THE SAME PRICE IN NIGERIA?

IF NOT, THEN DON'T MENTION IRAN.

I say to all Western-media Induced Brainoporosis patients:
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

1 Like

Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by seanet01: 10:34pm On Feb 14, 2013
taharqa: You are Really CRAZZY, I swear. GEJ, who is driving the above moves that wud completely SOLVE our Power problems, is still in PDP the last time I cheeked; now why wud you expect me or any sane person for that matter, to throw HIM away even if I thoroughly dislike d PDP?? Ehmm, how? In any case, what is d alternative? Your precious ACN or is it APC now? Shld I root for them NOW when d problem is been Solved, esp when one of d chief drivers therein (Oga Buhari) was reported to have said in 2011 that we wud hv 24/7 Power in 2019 if he was in Power? If true, why wud you advice me to give away what is capable of finali solving a notoriously recurring MALIGNANT problem, just to try anoda who only promised me solution in a time period I consider too long?? Plz, I will Pass and stick with what I hv now whilst doing every thing I can to make THIS work; you on oda hand, abeg PACK...
You dunderhead think Nigerians are fools like your entire lineage?
The last time we checked GEJ budget almost a BILLION NAIRA TO POWER ASO ROCK GENERATORS, so what crap is you ape talking about?
Power generation has dropped to just above 3000 yet you ediot is here proclaiming Gej as a performer, what a clown you are.
Again, Thunder Fire You.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by taharqa: 10:38pm On Feb 14, 2013
seanet01: The Buhari you are bringing into this is a trillion miles ahead of Both GEJ and PDP.
Before Buhari came on board on as Head of State, Nigeria was importing Refined Crude Oil, when he came on board he changed the tide and Nigeria was exporting 100,000 barrels of Refined Crude Oil till he left office. That is Governance not the chop make i chop system PDP is using.
Thunder Fire you flat head for your stvpidity.
Buhari never built a single refinery when he was Head of State, at least none that I know of. Cud you name any of such refineries?? Abeg I like Oga Buhari, dont lie with his name...
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 10:40pm On Feb 14, 2013
ROSSICK or whatever your name is, you should be ashamed of yourself because I'm sure your family is.

What of South Africa that got independence in 1990? 30 years after Nigeria? Are they under a draconian rule too?

Are you mad? Are freaking insane? What kind of nonsense are spitting here? Fuckin gayy ass PDP/GEJ buttt licker!!

OMG!! I can't believe your defense of PDP administrations was to say Iran is under a "draconian" rule? A draconian rule? Are you for real?

You are a dunce guy!! Your family is probably ashamed of you.. Traitor!

Angola is also under a draconian rule? Kenya is under a draconian rule? Zambia is under a draconian rule? Brazil is under a draconian rule? Venezuela is under a draconian rule?

1 Like

Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by taharqa: 10:43pm On Feb 14, 2013
seanet01: You dunderhead think Nigerians are fools like your entire lineage?
The last time we checked GEJ budget almost a BILLION NAIRA TO POWER ASO ROCK GENERATORS, so what crap is you ape talking about?
Power generation has dropped to just above 3000 yet you ediot is here proclaiming Gej as a performer, what a clown you are.
Again, Thunder Fire You.
You say Whaat??
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by seanet01: 10:48pm On Feb 14, 2013
taharqa: Buhari never built a single refinery when he was Head of State, at least none that I know of. Cud you name any of such refineries?? Abeg I like Oga Buhari, dont lie with his name...
Another reason why you are nothing but a senseless and a myopic simpleton.
Did Buhari need to Build new refineries before he improved the Refined Crude Oil capacity of Nigeria?
Fact was when he took over as Head of State, he met refineries in a complete state of Comatose riddled by many years of stark corruption by previous governments.
But being a man after the welfare of Nigerians, he found a way to put the Oil refineries in total shape and thereafter they were producing at 100%, i repeat 100% capacity utilization thereby allowing Nigeria to have enough refined Petroleum products for Local consumption and EXPORT.
I know your brain is too shallow to process this.
But you can afford to keep shut if you have nothing to say than this crap.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 14, 2013
seanet01: Rossike i think you are missing the point.
In 1989, Iran was just generating just 7800 which leaves a shortfall of 2000 according to their needs then.
But Between 1989 and 2009, Iranian Power generation has risen to 45000MW, A MASSIVE difference of almost 35000MW within 20 years.
However PDP that has been in Power for over 16 years cannot add 3000MW to the national grid.
That is what am trying to iron out here not sullying Africans which is a phobia for you.
So in 2015 PDP must go at all cost.

If PDP, out of a desire to develop Nigeria overnight, does what the Ayatollahs did, by crushing all opposition, crushing all debate, crushing freedom of assembly, expression, religion, crushing equal representation, murdering dissidents and journalists, crushing the rights of women, etc etc would you subscribe? YES OR NO. IF NOT, THEN DON'T MENTION IRAN.

I repeat, you cannot just mention the SWEET PART and leave out the unsavoury portion where it concerns countries like Iran, Cuba, China, Libya etc - countries which seemed to have developed overnight. TELL US THE PRICE THEY PAID FOR THAT DEVELOPMENT. Else you're being intellectually dishonest. Are we willing to pay the same price in Nigeria? NO. Therefore development will be less swift and speedy than Iran. A democratic system means more debate. More disagreement. Multiple interests among stakeholders in all issues. Projects take longer. There is more opportunity for corruption and waste. Boko Haram giving you problems? Sorry, you can't just go and level the whole Maiduguri, as would happen in Iran or Libya. You have to have a measured response. Dialogue, intelligence, infiltration would be your fighting tools. Therefore the problem will take longer to resolve... etc etc.

We have decided to take this path because we as a people are not willing to live under an Ayatollah type or Cuban type dictatorship, no matter the benefits. India is similar to Nigeria. They could go the China route if they wished, and become a first world nation in 10 years. But the Indians have decided they cannot tolerate a Chinese-type dictatorship, hence a more slow moving, corruption-prone democracy which is yielding fruits and dividends, but only slowly, while protecting peoples' rights. So they might get there in 30 years. This is what we're doing in Nigeria. So comparing us to Iran makes no sense.

Second, your timeline for Iran generating power vis a vis Nigeria is irrelevant insofar as it can be shown (as I have done) that Iran began self government nearly a century before Nigeria, and so has had more time to develop her infrastructure and state institutions etc etc. So there is no basis for comparison. Iran's 1989 is Nigeria's 2013. If you've been following developments in the power sector you'd know that we are on the verge of a huge expansion in power output similar to what Iran experienced between 1989 and 2009.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by seanet01: 11:10pm On Feb 14, 2013
ROSSIKE:

If PDP, out of a desire to develop Nigeria overnight, does what the Ayatollahs did, by crushing all opposition, crushing all debate, crushing freedom of assembly, expression, religion, crushing equal representation, murdering dissidents and journalists, crushing the rights of women, etc etc would you subscribe? YES OR NO. IF NOT, THEN DON'T MENTION IRAN.

I repeat, you cannot just mention the SWEET PART and leave out the unsavoury portion where it concerns countries like Iran, Cuba, China etc - countries which seemed to have developed overnight. TELL US THE PRICE THEY PAID. Else you're being intellectually dishonest.

Second, your timeline for Iran generating power vis a vis Nigeria is irrelevant insofar as it can be shown (as I have done) that Iran began self government nearly a century before Nigeria, and so has had more time to develop her infrastructure and state institutions etc etc. So there is no basis for comparison.

Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by taharqa: 11:58pm On Feb 14, 2013
seanet01: Another reason why you are nothing but a senseless and a myopic simpleton.
Did Buhari need to Build new refineries before he improved the Refined Crude Oil capacity of Nigeria?
Fact was when he took over as Head of State, he met refineries in a complete state of Comatose riddled by many years of stark corruption by previous governments.
But being a man after the welfare of Nigerians, he found a way to put the Oil refineries in total shape and thereafter they were producing at 100%, i repeat 100% capacity utilization thereby allowing Nigeria to have enough refined Petroleum products for Local consumption and EXPORT.
I know your brain is too shallow to process this.
But you can afford to keep shut if you have nothing to say than this crap.
Two Refineries, Warri and Kaduna (part), were planned and constructd bw 1976 and 1982 unda OBJ and Shagari; they were NEW plants. They were not comatose nor where the stiffled by corruption.... You seem not to hv realisd whom you think you are exchanging words with. You shld hv known by now that its wise to try to be careful while attempting to debate 'Facts' with sm persons, esp when you don't know what d fuvk you are talking about..
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by livethinme: 12:15am On Feb 15, 2013
seanet01: This is a Thread i will ensure i keep alive till 2015. Nigerians need to have their brains refreshed so as to vote out this PDP.
this is just too shameful

Im sure u know that Nigerians vote based on tribalism and religion, never on policy
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 12:25am On Feb 15, 2013
Seems its a delibrate act to keep Nigerians that way
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by seanet01: 4:43am On Feb 15, 2013
taharqa: Two Refineries, Warri and Kaduna (part), were planned and constructd bw 1976 and 1982 unda OBJ and Shagari; they were NEW plants. They were not comatose nor where the stiffled by corruption.... You seem not to hv realisd whom you think you are exchanging words with. You shld hv known by now that its wise to try to be careful while attempting to debate 'Facts' with sm persons, esp when you don't know what d fuvk you are talking about..
O boy, you are nothing but a Consistent Liar. So because it was constructed just 4 or 5 years before Buhari came on board they were not comatose?
What a dunce?
Even the omotosho power plant constructed by PDP just about 5 years is now almost comatose.
Una no get brain walahi.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by hercules07: 6:07am On Feb 15, 2013
seanet01: O boy, you are nothing but a Consistent Liar. So because it was constructed just 4 or 5 years before Buhari came on board they were not comatose?
What a dunce?
Even the omotosho power plant constructed by PDP just about 5 years is now almost comatose.
Una no get brain walahi.

Please ask him who was the petroleum minister under OBJ.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by taharqa: 10:47am On Feb 15, 2013
seanet01: O boy, you are nothing but a Consistent Liar. So because it was constructed just 4 or 5 years before Buhari came on board they were not comatose?
What a dunce?
Una no get brain walahi.
You do realise that you response to my demostration of a Lie of yours by saying anoda one instead of developing anoda one, right?? OmotoshoI bn operatm by d Chinese Chaps who built it is Comatose? What d fuvk is wrong with you?..... If you are still saying that d NEW Kaduna and Warri Refineries which Oga Buhari inheritd were Comatose, plz just continue to bliv it: its yr mind and yr hands afterall...
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by taharqa: 10:51am On Feb 15, 2013
hercules07:

Please ask him who was the petroleum minister under OBJ.
Yea, Oga Buhari was d Pet Min during parts of dat OBJ time, and b4 then he was head of NNPC. That is what he is supposd to be using to argue whateva he thinks he wants to argue, but he evidently does not hv even a twit of what he is trying to say. Yet he is trying to argue with me- dats he's undoing, Lol.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Zechy09: 2:15pm On Feb 15, 2013
@ ROSSIKE, you sound like someone that is very exposed. I have tried to use your argument in many settings in Nigeria but most times they look at me as stupid. This mind set is what you get from exposure!
People want overnight change not knowing that democracy does not offer that anywhere in the world.
China, Iran, Libya etc have a similar kind of govt so they can wake up in the morning and decide to embark on a project costing $1B and nobody can question that. Can you remember that many of the flyovers in Lagos were built in military era? this is because one man makes all decisions. The same people shouting Buhari everyday don't realise that he had absolute powers as HOS but now every decision will be delibrated by NASS and that will take 3 months before it is handed to office of due process which will take another 3 months etc. These things lead to slow pace developement but they are good for democracy.

People think that we are in military where you can give power station contracts without due process, if you could do that, then we would get everything under 2yrs. If NEPA people threaten strike, they will be locked up or beaten up.
People need to understand democracy!
ROSSIKE:

I repeat, you cannot just mention the SWEET PART and leave out the unsavoury portion where it concerns countries like Iran, Cuba, China, Libya etc - countries which seemed to have developed overnight. TELL US THE PRICE THEY PAID FOR THAT DEVELOPMENT. Else you're being intellectually dishonest. Are we willing to pay the same price in Nigeria? NO. Therefore development will be less swift and speedy than Iran. A democratic system means more debate. More disagreement. Multiple interests among stakeholders in all issues. Projects take longer. There is more opportunity for corruption and waste. Boko Haram giving you problems? Sorry, you can't just go and level the whole Maiduguri, as would happen in Iran or Libya. You have to have a measured response. Dialogue, intelligence, infiltration would be your fighting tools. Therefore the problem will take longer to resolve... etc etc.

We have decided to take this path because we as a people are not willing to live under an Ayatollah type or Cuban type dictatorship, no matter the benefits. India is similar to Nigeria. They could go the China route if they wished, and become a first world nation in 10 years. But the Indians have decided they cannot tolerate a Chinese-type dictatorship, hence a more slow moving, corruption-prone democracy which is yielding fruits and dividends, but only slowly, while protecting peoples' rights. So they might get there in 30 years. This is what we're doing in Nigeria. So comparing us to Iran makes no sense.

Second, your timeline for Iran generating power vis a vis Nigeria is irrelevant insofar as it can be shown (as I have done) that Iran began self government nearly a century before Nigeria, and so has had more time to develop her infrastructure and state institutions etc etc. So there is no basis for comparison. Iran's 1989 is Nigeria's 2013. If you've been following developments in the power sector you'd know that we are on the verge of a huge expansion in power output similar to what Iran experienced between 1989 and 2009.

Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 2:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
Zechy09: @ ROSSIKE, you sound like someone that is very exposed. I have tried to use your argument in many settings in Nigeria but most times they look at me as stupid. This mind set is what you get from exposure!
People want overnight change not knowing that democracy does not offer that anywhere in the world.
China, Iran, Libya etc have a similar kind of govt so they can wake up in the morning and decide to embark on a project costing $1B and nobody can question that. Can you remember that many of the flyovers in Lagos were built in military era? this is because one man makes all decisions. The same people shouting Buhari everyday don't realise that he had absolute powers as HOS but now every decision will be delibrated by NASS and that will take 3 months before it is handed to office of due process which will take another 3 months etc. These things lead to slow pace developement but they are good for democracy.

People think that we are in military where you can give power station contracts without due process, if you could do that, then we would get everything under 2yrs. If NEPA people threaten strike, they will be locked up or beaten up.
People need to understand democracy!
Well written.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 15, 2013
0lumide: ROSSICK or whatever your name is, you should be ashamed of yourself because I'm sure your family is.

What of South Africa that got independence in 1990? 30 years after Nigeria? Are they under a draconian rule too?

Are you mad? Are freaking insane? What kind of nonsense are spitting here? Fuckin gayy ass PDP/GEJ buttt licker!!

OMG!! I can't believe your defense of PDP administrations was to say Iran is under a "draconian" rule? A draconian rule? Are you for real?

You are a dunce guy!! Your family is probably ashamed of you.. Traitor!

Angola is also under a draconian rule? Kenya is under a draconian rule? Zambia is under a draconian rule? Brazil is under a draconian rule? Venezuela is under a draconian rule?
You really are ignorant. Go back and read all I've typed on this thread regarding South Africa. Not sure why you're listing Zambia, Brazil, Angola, Venezuela etc. Those places have serious power issues as well. I'll just put your rant down to poor exposure and lack of research/reading, and possibly low IQ.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by ballabriggs: 3:25pm On Feb 15, 2013
ROSSIKE: You really are ignorant. Go back and read all I've typed on this thread regarding south Africa. Not sure why you're listing Zambia, Brazil Angola,, Venezuela etc. Those places have serious power issues as well. I'll just put your rant down to poor exposure and lack of research/reading, and possibly low IQ.

Do you have any empirical evidence to support your assertions or is it another spurious relationship between development and freedom? I'm not saying you are wrong, however, there is hardly any empirical evidence to support such assertions.

Malaysia and Singapore are good cases of democratic developing countries that have witnessed transformation within a short while. Congo DR on the other hand is a dictatorship that has not seen such transformation. So how do you reconcile both?
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 15, 2013
ballabriggs:

Do you have any empirical evidence to support your assertions or is it another spurious relationship between development and freedom? I'm not saying you are wrong, however, there is hardly any empirical evidence to support such assertions.

Malaysia and Singapore are good cases of democratic developing countries that have witnessed transformation within a short while. Congo DR on the other hand is a dictatorship that has not seen such transformation. So how do you reconcile both?
Actually Congo is not a dictatorship. Second, what empirical evidence for what assertions are you requesting? Be more specific. Oh.. And Singapore has just 5 million folks while being a historical magnet for western multinationals targeting the Asian market, similar to Malaysia, so they've attracted heavy FDI over the last 6 decades that dwarfs all the FDI received by most African nations in that period. So you would expect them to have achieved rapid development.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by ballabriggs: 4:04pm On Feb 15, 2013
ROSSIKE: Actually Congo is not a dictatorship. Second, what empirical evidence for what assertions are you requesting? Be more specific. Oh.. And singapore has just 5 million folks while being a historical magnet for western multinationals targeting the Asian market, similar to Malaysia, so they've attracted heavy FDI over the last 6 decades that dwarfs all the fdi received by most African nations in that period. So you would expect them to have achieved rapid development.

Development is one variable, freedom is another variable, do you have any empirical evidence suggesting causality between both variables? Sudan, Uganda, Chad, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan -during the Taliban rule- are examples of dictatorships. Why did they not see such changes?

And why have you not attracted sufficient FDIs to meet your development needs? It is a tool for development. Countries compete for FDIs and the fact they beat you in the drive for FDIs is no excuse.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 15, 2013
Is this not the same rossik who was talking bs when india had a power failure?

Now he is making pathetic excuses

1 Like

Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 15, 2013
ballabriggs:

Development is one variable, freedom is another variable, do you have any empirical evidence suggesting causality between both variables? Sudan, Uganda, Chad, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan -during the Taliban rule- are examples of dictatorships. Why did they not see such changes?

There are dictatorships and there are dictatorships. The ruling elite of each country has its own specific reason(s) for initiating a dictatorship. In some countries the dictatorship is actually imposed/galvanised from the outside. For instance the US assassination of Patrice Lumumba, and installation of Mobutu in the DRC in the 60s. Or the British supported/funded/armed Gowon dictatorship of the 60s and 70s in Nigeria. Or the western backed assassination of Thomas Sankara and installation of pro-western Blaise Compaore in Burkina Faso.

In Iran, Cuba, China etc on the other hand, it was internally generated dictatorships that were predicated on the idea that only by such draconian rule could they achieve their ends of ending western interference (through for instance, ending media freedoms, mass killings of normally western-backed opposition forces, who are seen as traitors to the national cause), and speeding up national development.

So the question that needs to be asked when praising IRAN is, Are we willing to do what they did to get where they are? If the answer is NO (as I believe it is) then why mention Iran? It's like seeing a rich man driving down a boulevard in his 2013 Range Rover. You say ''Why am I not like that man? Why am I driving an okada?'' Then Mr Rossike comes along and informs you that that man got rich via kidnapping and murder. You then blind yourself to that and still insist ''Why am I not like that man?'' It makes no sense. Are you willing to do what he did to become like him? That is the question.

And why have you not attracted sufficient FDIs to meet your development needs? It is a tool for development. Countries compete for FDIs and the fact they beat you in the drive for FDIs is no excuse.

Excellent question. Truth is, even the most well-run African nations have been singularly UNABLE to attract the kind of investment that the Asian Tigers did. A study was once done on Botswana. Botswana has the best education and political system in all Africa. The fastest growing economy on earth throughout the 80s and 90s. Near-zero corruption. Excellent infrastructure for a developing nation. Multiple incentives offered to companies to come in and create value-adding industries. In short, Botswana had even more going for it than nations like South Korea and other Asian Tigers did in the 1950s when they began attracting serious western investment.

So where were the investors trooping into Botswana?

Very few came. Those that did came to work in extractive industries, diamond mining for exports etc.

Look, even Ghana today OUGHT to be attracting major global industry to its shores. It has the essential requirements in place. Political stability, growing infrastructure, relatively accountable govt, well-educated workforce, 7% annual GDP growth, excellent incentives offered to investors, including in some cases, 100% repatriation of profits!

So where is the flood of Sony, Google, Tata, GM, Toshiba, Infosys, justling to open up shop in Accra and Kumasi?

They simply don't come!

All you will see is Chevron, Tullow Oil, ConocoPhillips, and these western mining companies seeking gold to export.

So the whole FDI thing is not as clear-cut as it appears. There are numerous other factors at play in determining which countries attract major foreign investment, especially in value-adding industries. Political, racial, knowledge deficit, stereotypes etc etc. The media misrepresentation of Africa alone is one factor all on its own. If you were a western investor whose knowledge of Africa was based on what you saw in the nightly news on CNN, you wouldn't even THINK of investing in Africa. Botswana? Never heard of it! Is that near Darfur or Somalia?
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by Crayola1: 5:01pm On Feb 15, 2013
Oh my God there is so much misinformation in this thread. South Africa did not get their independence in 1994, that was the end of Apartheid. South Africa was the first country on the continent to get its independence in the 1902 or 1903 from the British, but that was independence for the Afrikaners not all South Africans.

And the Afrikaners developed South Africa for themselves not all South Africans,So all this power generation that South Africa has goes to the cities and suburbs the Townships are still not benefiting fully from power generation.

And Rossike the British built power lines to the areas they stayed, why would colonial rulers care if your grandparents sat in the dark? The British didn't under develop or steal from Nigeria in the way you are thinking, they just didn't care. You are talking as though the Afrikaners were building up the country for the benefit of all South Africans.

And Nigeria, being blessed with coal, oil, natural gas, etc should be able to produce more power than it does. No excuses, some countries don't have even one of those things and they manage. Japan does it using nuclear because they have few natural resources to speak of, so its doable.
Re: Iran Generating 76,800 MW And Exporting Power Despite Being Under Sanctions!!! by hercules07: 5:07pm On Feb 15, 2013
taharqa: Yea, Oga Buhari was d Pet Min during parts of dat OBJ time, and b4 then he was head of NNPC. That is what he is supposd to be using to argue whateva he thinks he wants to argue, but he evidently does not hv even a twit of what he is trying to say. Yet he is trying to argue with me- dats he's undoing, Lol.

At least you dey honest, can you give Jona some of it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Most Comfortable, Peaceful And Economically Stable African Country / Mammoth Crowd At Enugu Presidential Flag Off Campaign. / Amaechi Bows At Last…begins Final Journey Out Of Government House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.