Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,741 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? (12190 Views)

Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN / London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians / PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by thirdeye(m): 12:29pm On Feb 16, 2013
The internet penetration in Nigeria can be faarrrr better but is very okay for any internet business to thrive, but everywebsite owner at once wants to be that CEO with large expanse of office in Lekki, retinues of workers that does not have an inkling what internet biz is all about and arrays of official cars. Any online biz can start from ground zero and passes through the teething stage before profit just like the offline biz but naija webmasters typical would rather seek for immediate gratification at d end they will burst like dotcom bubble. People beleives in you when you can stay long enough, be consistent, be focus, through my blog without any other reffere I have gotten contracts in millions and it won't stop and for a site with such low traffic I promoted Jumia to my subscribers yet people bought products over 2000 dollars through my refferal link alone using atm and credit card- though d commission no even reach 100 dollars..lol.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by remmyz(m): 12:29pm On Feb 16, 2013
naijacutee:

But Dealdey is copying Groupon too... are they at risk?
dealdey will forever be succesful as dey dnt own all the items they put up for sale. they get those items @ discouned price from big stores.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by thirdeye(m): 12:32pm On Feb 16, 2013
And remember those companies you are copying started from garages...amazon,ebay etc

2 Likes

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by mbulela: 12:36pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dual Core: It wasn't built with just the passion, it was built with people's funding.

When something is built with passion, it takes time to watch it grow and you don't mind if it doesn't start making you any real money in the first 2-3 years. On the other hand when something is built with funding, the aim is profit from the start. So when you can't realize that aim you come under pressure from those funding your project to kill the business as they don't see any profits coming in.
reminds of the NEXT newspaper saga.
This is the same way kalahari.net closed down.
till date that was the best online store this side of the sahara. There customer service was world class.
the fundamentals of the online shopping space in niaja is just not right.
However, those who weather the storm either out of passion or bottomless pit of cash that does not require returns will reap the profit in due season.

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Riskymallam: 12:36pm On Feb 16, 2013
Yeah lets keep our fingers crossed on this one
remmyz:

Dnt forget that konga, jumia and the likes are still very young compared to mocality. i think what brought down mocality was that they were dolling out money before making profits and they dnt have a good business model. you cn imagine them paying btw 70 naira and 150 naira to people for registering a verified business.

In 2 years time, if kinga and jumia still stay afloat, then i will believe Nigerians are ready for online business else........
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by spree: 12:49pm On Feb 16, 2013
What happens to the employees?
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by damola1: 12:59pm On Feb 16, 2013
spree: What happens to the employees?

they will stay.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by jm8181: 1:26pm On Feb 16, 2013
naijacutee: Yes, I got an an e-mail stating that as well.

Do you really think internet penetration is the problem? If so, how are sites like Jumia, Konga and Dealdey able to survive if this is the issue? How is @Gidi-Traffic able to gain such great recognition time and time again?

Let's take example of VConnect.com - They started well before Mocality and still surviving ... I think it's not question of internet penetration or type of business itself.

It's more about patience, understanding market of business directory and knowing SMEs better.

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by remmyz(m): 1:44pm On Feb 16, 2013
jm8181:

Let's take example of VConnect.com - They started well before Mocality and still surviving ... I think it's not question of internet penetration or type of business itself.

It's more about patience, understanding market of business directory and knowing SMEs better.

Confirmed....
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by nwokobioma: 1:49pm On Feb 16, 2013
jm8181:

I quite agree with jm8181, VConnect started few years back before Mocality and they are still doing well. I believe before someone or company goes into business, they should be passionate about the business and have a good knowledge of how this business are been run and with a purpose to give client benefit/satisfaction for their money.
These are the areas VConnect have got it right and it shows in their steady progress, having a database of over 500,000 registered business and giving subscribers satisfaction for their money.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Tinyemeka(m): 3:37pm On Feb 16, 2013
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Tinyemeka(m): 3:38pm On Feb 16, 2013
zenatta:

Oh they did...thank goodness you were spared the sight of sad looking,seemingly reluctant boys who held up banners for them in Ikeja.

So you see? With that method of advertising of advertising, how would they expect someone in Uyo or Umuahia to know about their service? Meanwhile it's supposed to be an online company.

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Feb 16, 2013
jm8181:

Let's take example of VConnect.com - They started well before Mocality and still surviving ...
Have you seen their financials or you're just assuming this.

******Business success is all investors care about and not just survival.****
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by adagSON: 6:05pm On Feb 16, 2013
naijacutee: Yes, I got an an e-mail stating that as well.

Do you really think internet penetration is the problem? If so, how are sites like Jumia, Konga and Dealdey able to survive if this is the issue? How is @Gidi-Traffic able to gain such great recognition time and time again?
the brain behind all those website you mention was not the same with that of mocality. Maybe they have a personal problem
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Michky: 6:29pm On Feb 16, 2013
bigx: The Business model they are all copying, Groupon is not a viable one, so they'd all just go the same way with it
On point. Its like trying to rear fish out of water. Personally, no beef, i have been looking forward to this for some time now. The business idea was a flop from the beginning. And everytime i realise that they're still running, i just say to myself: some people just intend to become poor before long. Well, to the owners of mocality, keep your head up. Failure is inevitable when you're on the road to success. Use the experience to your advantage in future. More like Oelx, Dea/fish etc, will join you soon. Nexttime, though strategy is vital, please never forget to scrutinize the idea very well before puting your money on it.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Guk: 9:17pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dream1: The reason Dealdey works very well is because it is owned by E-motion. A major player in the Nigerian advertising market. They control about 40% of physical ad space on the island. This gives them an avenue to use some of that to their advantage. They also had to work up to where they have reached thus far. The first ad i ran with them, they demanded only about 10-15% commission. Now, they want almost 50% cos they now control that market. Dealdey also do a lot of online ads which targets the right people i.e people that already have internet access. I still doubt very must that Dealdey are making a massive profit but they will be able to survive based on their Sister company's strengths.

Its a good thing that this closing down came up as here a number of lessons to be learnt from it. Pls follow closely.

I am a Business Consultant to Dealz9ja www.dealzng.com/deals/all/ the only remaining competitor to Dealdey. The others in competition were (a) Deals.mocality (2) Rightdealz.com (3)Qlu Qlu (4)All4Naija. They are of now blessed memory.

Pls note that Deal of the Day website are cloned after Groupon and are totally diff from your regular Product websites like Webmallng; Konga; Jumia; Kamdora & such like.

Deal of the Day website DO NOT make a lot of money and could collapse anyday if you dont get your model right. Dealz9ja has bn sustainable becos, a niche has bn carved; subscriber base is sufficient to run at a profit; overheads were contained right from start up; areas that needed to be outsourced were done wt hard negotiations. The truth be told, cost of Adverts is the bleeding point. A typical month on Facebook is =N=500k How do you sustain such from even sharing 50% commission from your merchants? Meanwhile, Deals.Mocality had adverts on DSTV during 2012 Champions league and Olympics. You do not want to know how much such cost. I had predicted their downfall from them as it was not sustainable.

Dealdey has competitive advantage becos they are owned or supported by eMotion, an outdoor advert comapany that is awash with cash. eMotion is funded by ARM & ARM funds the Lekki Epe Expressway & thats why eMotion has the right to advertise exclusively on that prime location from Bonny cam all the way to Ajah and beyond.

Dealdey's commisions are high, and that has pushed some of their Merchants to Dealz9ja. This business is all about Strategy; Knowing the Market; playing the Market & sustaing your business model and grow organically as Dealz9ja can never match Dealdey in advert spending & is not even attempting to. hey have their own clientele & business is good & profitable.

As for Jumia & Konga, the jury is out on them. The Advertisement spend is HUMONGOUS, i hope it doesnt bring them down after a couple of years. Its just not sustainable. You are talking of advert spend of roughly a =N=1M daily!

In 2012 alone, over 5 dozen ecommerce bizs can online, over 90% are gone. Its a marathon biz not a sprint.

More later.....

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 16, 2013
Lol @ marathon, not a sprint.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by sarutobi: 10:48pm On Feb 16, 2013
Guk:

Its a good thing that this closing down came up as here a number of lessons to be learnt from it. Pls follow closely.

I am a Business Consultant to Dealz9ja www.dealzng.com/deals/all/ the only remaining competitor to Dealdey. The others in competition were (a) Deals.mocality (2) Rightdealz.com (3)Qlu Qlu (4)All4Naija. They are of now blessed memory.

Pls note that Deal of the Day website are cloned after Groupon and are totally diff from your regular Product websites like Webmallng; Konga; Jumia; Kamdora & such like.

Deal of the Day website DO NOT make a lot of money and could collapse anyday if you dont get your model right. Dealz9ja has bn sustainable becos, a niche has bn carved; subscriber base is sufficient to run at a profit; overheads were contained right from start up; areas that needed to be outsourced were done wt hard negotiations. The truth be told, cost of Adverts is the bleeding point. A typical month on Facebook is =N=500k How do you sustain such from even sharing 50% commission from your merchants? Meanwhile, Deals.Mocality had adverts on DSTV during 2012 Champions league and Olympics. You do not want to know how much such cost. I had predicted their downfall from them as it was not sustainable.

Dealdey has competitive advantage becos they are owned or supported by eMotion, an outdoor advert comapany that is awash with cash. eMotion is funded by ARM & ARM funds the Lekki Epe Expressway & thats why eMotion has the right to advertise exclusively on that prime location from Bonny cam all the way to Ajah and beyond.

Dealdey's commisions are high, and that has pushed some of their Merchants to Dealz9ja. This business is all about Strategy; Knowing the Market; playing the Market & sustaing your business model and grow organically as Dealz9ja can never match Dealdey in advert spending & is not even attempting to. hey have their own clientele & business is good & profitable.

As for Jumia & Konga, the jury is out on them. The Advertisement spend is HUMONGOUS, i hope it doesnt bring them down after a couple of years. Its just not sustainable. You are talking of advert spend of roughly a =N=1M daily!

In 2012 alone, over 5 dozen ecommerce bizs can online, over 90% are gone. Its a marathon biz not a sprint.

More later.....

You just messed with by brain. Its about to explode. 1M naira daily? who does that?

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Guk: 11:05pm On Feb 16, 2013
sarutobi:

You just messed with by brain. Its about to explode. 1M naira daily? who does that?

Yes, 1M naira daily. Jumia; Konga & Dealdey are on Facebook 24 hours a day. They are also on Google Adsense. Dealz9ja used both media extensively last year and the advert budget was frightening! Theres also SMS cost; daily email cost etc. Na look before you leap biz O!
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by balogunsam(m): 12:33am On Feb 17, 2013
Guk:

Yes, 1M naira daily. Jumia; Konga & Dealdey are on Facebook 24 hours a day. They are also on Google Adsense. Dealz9ja used both media extensively last year and the advert budget was frightening! Theres also SMS cost; daily email cost etc. Na look before you leap biz O!

nice input sir.so how will u suggest a startup ecommerce site with passion and little funds....I mean really little funds reach people when ad campaigns with facebook are costing so much?
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by jm8181: 1:21am On Feb 17, 2013
Brand_new:
Have you seen their financials or you're just assuming this.

******Business success is all investors care about and not just survival.****

you're right. A rational person must analyze everything that includes Complete SWOT Analysis. Btw My simple point was ...Business Directory / or Local Search Engine isn't disappointing segment at all. It is a very good industry and Indeed this industry would grow further.
(now why it would be grow; how it would grow; - certainly I am not assuming here; It is based on Research conducted by Popular Mobile Adnetwork)

As far as VConnect's financial is concerned; I don't know to be very frankly. But one thing is for sure. Mocality had huge financial support from SA based Nasper group.

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by sportfeva(m): 2:26am On Feb 17, 2013
Registration is not user friendly. Too much authenticity. By the way, they should figure out how to push forward rather than closing down. Commitment is the key here. Hope it is for sale because it gat potentials from another person angle. Sad to go anyway.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by sportfeva(m): 2:34am On Feb 17, 2013
I mill advert per day, that's too subjective of you-business consultant. No sane fellow could believe that. Jumia and Konga should just work hard, really smart and hard on customer service relations pertaining to e-commerce. That will be a good start and leverage for them.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by sportfeva(m): 2:51am On Feb 17, 2013
Tinyemeka: I'm not being sarcastic. I never knew what mocality was until now (after checking it up on Google).

Bottomline: They didn't do sufficient advertising.
They had a very beautiful video advert. Nice concept indeed but they seems not to be doing online advert enough. This is not orange and sweet.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Guk: 10:57am On Feb 17, 2013
balogunsam:

nice input sir.so how will u suggest a startup ecommerce site with passion and little funds....I mean really little funds reach people when ad campaigns with facebook are costing so much?

Email me
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Guk: 11:18am On Feb 17, 2013
jm8181:

you're right. A rational person must analyze everything that includes Complete SWOT Analysis. Btw My simple point was ...Business Directory / or Local Search Engine isn't disappointing segment at all. It is a very good industry and Indeed this industry would grow further.
(now why it would be grow; how it would grow; - certainly I am not assuming here; It is based on Research conducted by Popular Mobile Adnetwork)

As far as VConnect's financial is concerned; I don't know to be very frankly. But one thing is for sure. Mocality had huge financial support from SA based Nasper group.

Vconnect belongs to the same group as Indomie and Panasonic & probably others. Its owned by Indians so the 1st thing you must realise is they are patronised by all Indian companies and friends of companies. That usually gives them an internal launch pad. Thats a clear advantage over a fresh Nigerian startup.

Mocality has roots in South of Africa. Mocality is broken into 2 distinct businesses (1)Mocality Directory Services (2)Deals.Mocality which is a deal of the day website.

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by Guk: 11:28am On Feb 17, 2013
sportfeva: I mill advert per day, that's too subjective of you-business consultant. No sane fellow could believe that. Jumia and Konga should just work hard, really smart and hard on customer service relations pertaining to e-commerce. That will be a good start and leverage for them.

Do your numbers. Jumia, Konga & Dealdey have about 20 different per click ads between them running daily(24/7). Go to create an ad on Facebook and see how much it will cost.

Also on Google Adsense, they bid the highest to constantly appear. As i said, we have been there, so i know what i am refering to. Ask those who have done online ads ahy they are no longer doing them. Its simple cost.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by uncleshegs: 12:18pm On Feb 17, 2013
Guk is very right. For those of us who have been involved in internet advertising, we know that maintaining the level of visibility that Konga, Jumia, OLX do runs into about $5000-7000/day which is approximately N1 mill. Even worse, the cost of these ads have steadily risen over the last few years since the foreign companies and investment firms started pumping money and launching startups.

A short while ago, the only ads you would see were for sunglasses and glamour site(looks like they've run out of cash), Jumia and Konga are still going at it because they've received funding from a Swedish investment firm and in the case of Jumia, rocket int. as well. However, it will be clear to people with analytical minds that neither of these companies are making profits and they are still running on investor cash. There was even talk of them merging a while back. This is why the average Nigerian(really Nigerian and local) startup now shun google ads and prefer to focus on their niches.

IMO, it's only a matter of time before the bubble bursts and they crash and pull out.

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by sportfeva(m): 12:43pm On Feb 17, 2013
Guk:

Do your numbers. Jumia, Konga & Dealdey have about 20 different per click ads between them running daily(24/7). Go to create an ad on Facebook and see how much it will cost.

Also on Google Adsense, they bid the highest to constantly appear. As i said, we have been there, so i know what i am refering to. Ask those who have done online ads ahy they are no longer doing them. Its simple cost.
No qualm now. That's a lot on advert alone with other overhead costs. Nigeria e-commerce is an insight to research on. Actually, there is one philosophy which is that any entity grows gradually. Overtime, ecommerce will be a booming business in Naija.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by jm8181: 1:11pm On Feb 17, 2013
Guk:

Vconnect belongs to the same group as Indomie and Panasonic & probably others. Its owned by Indians so the 1st thing you must realise is they are patronised by all Indian companies and friends of companies. That usually gives them an internal launch pad. Thats a clear advantage over a fresh Nigerian startup.

Mocality has roots in South of Africa. Mocality is broken into 2 distinct businesses (1)Mocality Directory Services (2)Deals.Mocality which is a deal of the day website.

Thanks Guk.. For your info.. This is something new that our nairlanad users may not aware about it. So by that logic all big Internet startup companies are funded by outsiders isn't it ? Mocality / Dealfish / Olx funded by SA based NAspers; Jumia, konga by Rocket Internet Venture Capital which is european based. ... Tradestable is also based out at Europe and part of Schibsted Classified Media. So there is no surprise; If those companies are spending huge on advertising; because of huge pumping of money by their parents companies.

As everyone knows that even Microsoft, Google, IBM all our US based companies. But it's good that like all developed countries; our country saw their investment here. In last 2-3 years; Such giants IT companies started coming in Nigeria;; and more are geared up to set up their base here.

bottom line is : This shows Nigerian IT / Internet industry is booming. That's the reason most of the companies have started investing here. Isn't it good sign? Yes this is a business; some fails and some succeeded.

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by naijacutee(f): 4:47pm On Feb 17, 2013
jm8181:

Thanks Guk.. For your info.. This is something new that our nairlanad users may not aware about it. So by that logic all big Internet startup companies are funded by outsiders isn't it ? Mocality / Dealfish / Olx funded by SA based NAspers; Jumia, konga by Rocket Internet Venture Capital which is european based. ... Tradestable is also based out at Europe and part of Schibsted Classified Media. So there is no surprise; If those companies are spending huge on advertising; because of huge pumping of money by their parents companies.

As everyone knows that even Microsoft, Google, IBM all our US based companies. But it's good that like all developed countries; our country saw their investment here. In last 2-3 years; Such giants IT companies started coming in Nigeria;; and more are geared up to set up their base here.

bottom line is : This shows Nigerian IT / Internet industry is booming. That's the reason most of the companies have started investing here. Isn't it good sign? Yes this is a business; some fails and some succeeded.

I'm impressed by your poositive take on the situation. This is so hard for many of us.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PPP Scheme To Mass Produce Fish Takes Off In Lagos - Vanguard / OANDO: Court Restrains SEC From Removing Wale Tinubu, Omamofe Boyo / Who Is Aminu Dogo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.