Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? (12191 Views)

Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN / London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians / PHCN Estimated Billing Is Closing Down So Many Small Bussinesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by lacicrips(m): 12:34am On Feb 18, 2013
Guk:

Yes, 1M naira daily. Jumia; Konga & Dealdey are on Facebook 24 hours a day. They are also on Google Adsense. Dealz9ja used both media extensively last year and the advert budget was frightening! Theres also SMS cost; daily email cost etc. Na look before you leap biz O!

That's like N30m/month, give or take. Naah! Who does that?

I work with a digital marketing agency, and there's no way in the world they're getting that kind of crazy bill from either fb or google, unless of course they're being cheated by the agency they're working with. We work closely with sales/account executives from Google, Facebook and Yahoo. And it's only Yahoo I know charges are on the highside. You need a minimum spend of $3k/month to talk to them, and your ad campaign gets run on all their properties. It used to be $10k, but got reviewed sometime last year. Although, the higher your spend, the more visibility. Same goes for Microsoft's hotmail.

If you got that figure directly from them, it's either it's being inflated or they're obviously being cheated by their agency.

N1m per day? That's some crazy sh.it.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by lacicrips(m): 12:34am On Feb 18, 2013
Ooops! Double post. Sorry.

I might as well just say something.

Mocality I believe is being sponsored by a powerful group (Nasper). And these old men don't have the patience to see it mature.

Sad though if the news is true, I thought they had an amazing product. Don't mind buying up their technology (that's if I can afford it).

It takes passion and sweat equity to grow these kind of businesses.

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by damola1: 1:18am On Feb 18, 2013
lacicrips: Ooops! Double post. Sorry.

I might as well just say something.

Mocality I believe is being sponsored by a powerful group (Nasper). And these old men don't have the patience to see it mature.

Sad though if the news is true, I thought they had an amazing product. Don't mind buying up their technology (that's if I can afford it).

It takes passion and sweat equity to grow these kind of businesses.

4years is not patience... then maybe they should try goodluck!
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by damola1: 1:18am On Feb 18, 2013
lacicrips:

That's like N30m/month, give or take. Naah! Who does that?

I work with a digital marketing agency, and there's no way in the world they're getting that kind of crazy bill from either fb or google, unless of course they're being cheated by the agency they're working with. We work closely with sales/account executives from Google, Facebook and Yahoo. And it's only Yahoo I know charges are on the highside. You need a minimum spend of $3k/month to talk to them, and your ad campaign gets run on all their properties. It used to be $10k, but got reviewed sometime last year. Although, the higher your spend, the more visibility. Same goes for Microsoft's hotmail.

If you got that figure directly from them, it's either it's being inflated or they're obviously being cheated by their agency.

N1m per day? That's some crazy sh.it.

How much would you suggest it cost to be that visible?
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by easterbabe(f): 2:01pm On Feb 19, 2013
Well said jare, been looking for a less demanding alternative (commission wise)to dealdey and you jusT gave me dealz9ja.
Guk:

Its a good thing that this closing down came up as here a number of lessons to be learnt from it. Pls follow closely.

I am a Business Consultant to Dealz9ja www.dealzng.com/deals/all/ the only remaining competitor to Dealdey. The others in competition were (a) Deals.mocality (2) Rightdealz.com (3)Qlu Qlu (4)All4Naija. They are of now blessed memory.

Pls note that Deal of the Day website are cloned after Groupon and are totally diff from your regular Product websites like Webmallng; Konga; Jumia; Kamdora & such like.

Deal of the Day website DO NOT make a lot of money and could collapse anyday if you dont get your model right. Dealz9ja has bn sustainable becos, a niche has bn carved; subscriber base is sufficient to run at a profit; overheads were contained right from start up; areas that needed to be outsourced were done wt hard negotiations. The truth be told, cost of Adverts is the bleeding point. A typical month on Facebook is =N=500k How do you sustain such from even sharing 50% commission from your merchants? Meanwhile, Deals.Mocality had adverts on DSTV during 2012 Champions league and Olympics. You do not want to know how much such cost. I had predicted their downfall from them as it was not sustainable.

Dealdey has competitive advantage becos they are owned or supported by eMotion, an outdoor advert comapany that is awash with cash. eMotion is funded by ARM & ARM funds the Lekki Epe Expressway & thats why eMotion has the right to advertise exclusively on that prime location from Bonny cam all the way to Ajah and beyond.

Dealdey's commisions are high, and that has pushed some of their Merchants to Dealz9ja. This business is all about Strategy; Knowing the Market; playing the Market & sustaing your business model and grow organically as Dealz9ja can never match Dealdey in advert spending & is not even attempting to. hey have their own clientele & business is good & profitable.

As for Jumia & Konga, the jury is out on them. The Advertisement spend is HUMONGOUS, i hope it doesnt bring them down after a couple of years. Its just not sustainable. You are talking of advert spend of roughly a =N=1M daily!

In 2012 alone, over 5 dozen ecommerce bizs can online, over 90% are gone. Its a marathon biz not a sprint.

More later.....
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by easterbabe(f): 2:16pm On Feb 19, 2013
Please what is your email address?
Guk:

Email me
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by TokyoBulls(m): 7:57pm On Feb 19, 2013
I can't be surprised at the claim of N1M/day advert spend. For the kind of visibility Jumia.com gets online, you need a fortune. An in-house unconfirmed source claims that they have a 'must spend' budget of $7M this year. That's some good dough to spread around and outbid all adverts on Google or Yahoo
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by naijacutee(f): 9:20pm On Feb 19, 2013
TokyoBulls: I can't be surprised at the claim of N1M/day advert spend. For the kind of visibility Jumia.com gets online, you need a fortune. An in-house unconfirmed source claims that they have a 'must spend' budget of $7M this year. That's some good dough to spread around and outbid all adverts on Google or Yahoo

If this is true, then the end is in sight, unless they have projections to take over $7m this year from that website, solely from selling their stock.

What's even a 'must spend' budget?

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by soloqy: 11:55am On Mar 13, 2013
Did you say 1 million Naira a day on all total advert spend(Which is still too high and unsustainable) or just on Facebook? If you say its just on facebook, I would say that is shocking. I have done some small advertising on facebook as well and I know the reach it got and how I got calls from people all around confirming the visibilty of the adds. And the amount spent was very very low compared to these figures. Firstly, when you are bidding per click or per impression, you get to choose the regions/users which you would want the ads to be visible to. I assume that an online company that makes sales in Nigeria, would concentrate their bidding on this region, which in turn lowers the overall cost. 1 million Naira a day, if you say its on Facebook ads alone, I feel is exaggerated .
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by yamakuza: 3:04pm On Mar 13, 2013
naijacutee:

If this is true, then the end is in sight, unless they have projections take over $7m this year from that website, solely from selling their stock.

What's even a 'must spend' budget?

the same way our Federal parastatals must spend all of their yearly allocations or have them reviewed downwards the following year, some office departments have budgets they must exhaust (for training, adverts, procurement, etc) or they will be seen as performing below standard/expectations.

the N1m/day or $7m/yr might not be for internet ads alone anyway (tv and radio might be included). most companies give their briefs to ad agencies who employ a mix of channels and come up with a comprehensive ad budget.

do Nigerians spend up to N1m daily buying online? will they spend up to N1m daily buying on Jumia? how many products at N1k gain will Jumia have to sell to make N1m profit daily? i think its achievable if small shops can rake in over N500k daily in sales. i cant imagine how much Shoprite makes daily.

they most likely wont spend N1m daily forever. once they hit critical mass and have the trust of their audience, they should be able to continue on a modest budget.
Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by ifyalways(f): 3:28pm On Mar 13, 2013
Yamakuza please,I need to talk to you.Can you contact me please.thank you.

1 Like

Re: Is Mocality Really Closing Down? Why? by smartmom(f): 10:05pm On May 08, 2013
Chigboz: Checkout 1justdial.com, it will stand as a better alternative all these foreign directories. 1justdial is an indegenous directory with greater functionality.
1justdial will soon take the lead, enlist you business free

Checked it out as well as nigerianbusinesslisting.com too. Problem with the former is the free listing thing and its 'functionality'. Makes me skeptical like what happened with Mocality will reoccur here too. You know what they say about 'awuff wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PPP Scheme To Mass Produce Fish Takes Off In Lagos - Vanguard / OANDO: Court Restrains SEC From Removing Wale Tinubu, Omamofe Boyo / Who Is Aminu Dogo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.