Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,804 members, 7,956,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:01 PM

Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? (954 Views)

5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. / Nairaland Web Geeks Am Confused Need Help Here. / Mr Seun Needs To See This!....no Username And Password Boxes Provided At Log In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by GraphicsPlus(m): 10:59am On Feb 16, 2013
I discovered that when one clicks on a website url in any thread, the website will not jump out to open in another tab, it will rather force one to leave nairaland by opening in the parent window. This may not be good for nairaland.

Again, when you click on any of the advert banner, the same thing will happen. This is not a good way to set an external link in one's web page.
Take facebook for example, whenever you post a new status update, even if you added a website url, when a user clicks on it, it opens in another tab. The same thing applies to their adverts. Why? Facebook never want you to leave facebook.

I am aware Seun know what to do to make every url and advert link to be opening in a new tab.

Again, there is no point blocking one from posting an image as a thread without adding any text.
One mustn't write all the time.
I have tried posting an image as a thread, but I was blocked by some script telling me that body message is empty, and so the thread didn't scale through.

Again, one should be able to know who likes his comments. If one can't see who likes him, then the purpose of the 'like' is defeated.

Again, Nairaland should be refreshing automatically. For instance, when one post a thread and the person is still online and nairaland is still running, the person should get instant notification when someone comments on the thread. But in Nairaland, you have to refresh the page to see that 'yellow, new' notification.

Again, one should have power to permanently delete his thread and comments, but cannot delete other people's comments on his thread.
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Seun(m): 12:58pm On Feb 16, 2013
We believe that the current approach is the best approach. Google ads dont open in new windows either.
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2013
Seun: We believe that the current approach is the best approach. Google ads don't open in new windows either.
When will you get out of Google ad's mentality?
@OP has made valid suggestions and as for the "like" notifications, I want to believe Seun and his team was working on something to that effect but somehow jettisoned the idea or postponed it.
You obviously have a very long way to go @ Seun.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by funkymedina: 1:23pm On Feb 16, 2013
Thank you ! I have said it before about external links taking me away from nairaland and its soo annoying. I was told by seun to right click and choose open in new window. I wonder why I have to do this in 2013? He doesnt want to listen to his userS ..the reply above says it alll.. his way or the high way ..so whenever i remember, i right click.

This is 2013 not 2006 dont know why u want people to leave ur site.The user experience leaves much to be desired in my opinion. I wonder why an advertiser will be happy to know if someone clicks an ad above urs they leave NAIRALAND AND MAY NOT COME BACK WHEN UR AD COULD HAVE BEEN NEXT !

all i wanted to tell you is to right click and choose open in new window....goodluck!
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by DualCore1: 1:35pm On Feb 16, 2013
In Seun's voice: Use the site or do your own, fimile! You don ever patronize any of those small ad boxes there? And you're talking! angry
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Seun(m): 1:42pm On Feb 16, 2013
@funky_medina: you don't have to berate me just because you disagree with me. I believe we can disagree and debate each other as adults. We take user feedback very seriously, and whenever a suggestion is made, we think deeply about it to figure out whether implementing it is the right thing to do. Regarding opening links in new windows, our current approach gives users a choice. Your suggestion that we should open links in new windows, if implemented, will force users to open links in new windows whether they like it or not.

But our current approach allows you to open links in new windows if you want to. On most phones, you can press and hold the links to reveal pop up menus that allow you to open the links in new windows. On personal computers, you can hold control/shift just before clicking links to have them open in new tabs/windows. So you have a choice. I don't want to deprive Nairaland members of their choice. I want them to be free to open links in new windows or in the same window. I don't want to force one option on them. I hope you understand me now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Feb 16, 2013
Dual Core: In Seun's voice: Use the site or do your own, fimile! You don ever patronize any of those small ad boxes there? And you're talking! angry
grin
This is so funny.
I indeed wanted to make my own when I got tired of the banning shyte which can be so annoying.

I'm hoping one day the subject of this thread would start taking this Forum more seriously with prompt response to people suggestions.
Very few businesses enjoy the kind of goodwill he gets from Nairalanders and sad thing is Seun doesn't appreciate it.

My own issue still remains the banning thing. I sometimes wonder where the whole idea came from in the first place....*frowns*

*Edit*
Maybe there should be a tutorial section for mobile users who wants to open a new tab grin.

I also noticed that the local search no longer yield users profile unlike before.

Note this watch word.
*USERS SATISFACTION*
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Seun(m): 1:50pm On Feb 16, 2013
Again, one should be able to know who likes his comments. If one can't see who likes him, then the purpose of the 'like' is defeated.
The purpose of likes on Nairaland is to reward people who post quality content. On sites where you can see who liked your posts, people often like posts because they are seeking the favour of the posters and not because they genuinely think the posts are good. We don't want that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by GraphicsPlus(m): 3:56pm On Feb 16, 2013
@Seun, believe me your two replies are not in any way satisfactory. You merely played on words.

LINK:
If one has to add an extra effort to open an advert in a new tab, it simply means that the one the person does without extra effort is more preferred. So if i want to open an advert in the same window, i wil just click but when i want it to open in another window i hav to either right click or hold ctl+shift before clicking. Now think about it.

If really u want to giv users choice, then u hav to cook up a jquery script that when a user clicks on any advert, a small box wil pop up asking the user to choose where and how he wants the advert to be opened. Simple.

Going by international standard and best practices, an external link should hav '_blank' as its target.
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by GraphicsPlus(m): 4:07pm On Feb 16, 2013
LIKE:
Pls what's the difference between 'like' and 'comment'? There is no single difference. Or is there? The former is just visual and the latter is audio. I have seen '@OP, thank u for this thread' comment on some meaningless threads. Cant one seek for the so called favour and friendship by commenting nicely on threads? What's the difference between hitting a 'like' button and writing 'i like ur thread' in the comment box?

Ur reason for not showing the person who likes who is absolute unreasonable. Believe me.
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Seun(m): 5:55pm On Feb 16, 2013
@GraphicsPlus: Your replies to my posts are neither coherent nor reasonable. You simply can't accept that you are wrong.
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Feb 16, 2013
^Ounch, I bet that hurts @Graphic Plus.
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by sisqology(m): 7:04pm On Feb 16, 2013
na wah o, how did i miss this?
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by funkymedina: 8:00pm On Feb 16, 2013
Seun: @GraphicsPlus: Your replies to my posts are neither coherent nor reasonable. You simply can't accept that you are wrong.
This Seun na wa for you oo. Do you know its ordinary people like us that make nairalnad work in the first place. Ur reply to graphic was quite rude, like ur a tard bit high or something ..anyway, its weekend , let me assume by monday you will be ok .
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Seun(m): 8:33pm On Feb 16, 2013
funky medina: This Seun na wa for you oo. Do you know its ordinary people like us that make nairalnad work in the first place. Ur reply to graphic was quite rude, like ur a tard bit high or something ..anyway, its weekend , let me assume by monday you will be ok
I'm sorry. I was actually imitating the dismissive tone of his reply to me, but I should not have stooped to his level.
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Feb 16, 2013
Seun:
[b]I'm sorry[/b]stooped to his level.
Adding insult to injury. Smh!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Olugbenger(m): 9:49pm On Feb 16, 2013
Seun: @funky_medina: you don't have to berate me just because you disagree with me. I believe we can disagree and debate each other as adults. We take user feedback very seriously, and whenever a suggestion is made, we think deeply about it to figure out whether implementing it is the right thing to do. Regarding opening links in new windows, our current approach gives users a choice. Your suggestion that we should open links in new windows, if implemented, will force users to open links in new windows whether they like it or not.

But our current approach allows you to open links in new windows if you want to. On most phones, you can press and hold the links to reveal pop up menus that allow you to open the links in new windows. On personal computers, you can hold control/shift just before clicking links to have them open in new tabs/windows. So you have a choice. I don't want to deprive Nairaland members of their choice. I want them to be free to open links in new windows or in the same window. I don't want to force one option on them. I hope you understand me now.
users still have choices...
Think of it this way:
if the adverts open in new tabs,users can close or leave nairaland if they feel like according to their discretions!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by mrsmithkay(m): 11:24pm On Feb 19, 2013
You guys should be reasonable! And leave seun alone
Afterall This is seun's site
And he wants the best for us!
As for my own opinion the whole structure of nairaland is okay by me!!!
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by ace1(m): 5:37pm On Feb 20, 2013
Seun:
I'm sorry. I was actually imitating the dismissive tone of his reply to me, but I should not have stooped to his level.

That's another insult an he's only trying to help.

I'm sure there are a lot of other people just like me who share the idea of external links opening in a new tab or window.

On a lighter note, We've been forced to see some really crappy posts on NL front page. I don't see why we can't be forced to click on external links and have them open in a new tab. grin
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by brucebanner: 11:09am On Sep 11, 2013
Seun: @GraphicsPlus: Your replies to my posts are neither coherent nor reasonable. You simply can't accept that you are wrong.
Ooooohhh Seun! Why now?! It is Graphics Plus, now! You are 'falling' our hands.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by wonlasewonimi: 11:45am On Sep 11, 2013
Seun what is the meaning of unclad?
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by onyengbu: 3:57pm On Sep 11, 2013
wonlasewonimi: Seun what is the meaning of unclad?

un = not

clad = dressed

unclad = not dressed grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by talk2me006(m): 5:45pm On Sep 11, 2013
@seun! It would have been better if you did not reply to the post . You should have pretend as if u didnt see it. people will soon see you as arrogant and all knowing person..

For me.,graphicplus suggestion make sense
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by dhtm12: 7:14pm On Sep 11, 2013
unclad is butt nakeed!
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 11, 2013
i think the suggestions the op made should be considered
Re: Do You Think Seun Needs To Improve On Nairaland's Web Markups And Codings? by dhtm12: 12:18am On Sep 12, 2013
^^^who authorized you to make decisions here? are you a lawyer?
The honest truth is that, no matter how good the suggestions you guy make, seun is still gonna do what he wishes (usually not the right thing),
and he will certainly ban me once again, and i will pop up again with another pirated ID

(1) (Reply)

private / Is This Message From Voguepay Or Who??????? / Another Attack On Nairaland Coming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.