Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) (20882 Views)

Man Smashes His £100,000 BMW M6 In Protest About Car’s Reliability / Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL / Reliability Of Mercedes Benz C240/c320 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Nobody: 12:16pm On Feb 17, 2013
omanzo02:

You just said it all, I use Peugeot, I service my vehicle once a year, top my engine up with less 0.2 litre of oil per year, never had a single problem since I bought the car in 2007.

Guy which Peugeot do u drive? And u service only once a year? Its either u aint resident in Naija or u do less dan 50km wit yor ride daily.
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by ikeyman00(m): 12:18pm On Feb 17, 2013
@@@@@
[size=28pt]
Most Reliable Cars: Honda, Toyota Top Consumer Reports Rankings[/size]

DETROIT — The most problem-free cars and trucks are made by Honda and Toyota, but U.S. automakers Ford and General Motors are closing the gap in quality, according to an annual survey by Consumer Reports magazine.

Ford and GM continue to narrow the disparity that once separated Asia-based automakers from their Detroit rivals. Large overhauls of American car companies in the last few years have resulted in fewer brands and better vehicles from Detroit.

For the third year in a row, Toyota's Scion had the fewest problems of any brand in the survey. It was followed by Porsche, Acura, Honda, and Nissan's Infiniti luxury brand. The Toyota brand ranked sixth, down from third last year. It was followed by Subaru and Volvo. Lexus, which had been a top finisher in past years, fell to ninth. Ford was 10th, but rose from 16th the previous year.

Consumer Reports rankings, released Tuesday, are widely used by buyers shopping for cars and trucks. The magazine ranks No. 3 on the list of information sources used by Americans to pick vehicles, topped only by brand loyalty and recommendations from friends and family.

Scion, Toyota's youth brand, was tops because it sells just three models, the xD hatchback, xB wagon and tC coupe. Those models haven't been revamped recently. As a result, they have fewer reliability problems, said David Champion, senior director of auto testing for Consumer Reports.

Toyota generally fared well in the survey despite recalling more than 10 million vehicles worldwide for safety problems including sticky gas pedals, floor mats that can trap accelerators and brake fluid leaks.

"Toyota's taken a slight knock from the issues with their recalls," Champion said.

He said the magazine's survey asks owners to ignore recalls unless they have experienced a problem, easing the impact. Toyota's luxury brand, Lexus, has expanded its model lineup and the quality has slipped, he said.

The survey of about 960,000 of the magazine's subscribers also restored recommended ratings for eight recalled Toyota brand models.

Toyota in January recalled 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. due to sticky gas pedals, including the 2009-10 RAV4 crossover, 2009-10 Corolla, the 2009-10 Matrix hatchback, the 2005-10 Avalon, the 2007-10 Camry, the 2010 Highlander crossover, the 2007-10 Tundra pickup and the 2008-10 Sequoia SUV models.

It stopped selling the models until the vehicles on dealer lots were fixed
. When sales were halted, Consumer Reports yanked the recommended ratings.

Champion said Honda is the top manufacturer for reliability
, with the Honda and Acura brands consistently at the top of the survey due to a continued emphasis on quality.

Champion said the Dearborn, Mich.-based Ford has several individual models that have better quality than Toyotas. Ford's quality resurgence was led by the Fusion midsize sedan, which outranked Honda's Accord and Toyota's Camry, two of the most reliable cars on the road. Ford's improvements began five years ago and have continued, Champion said.

General Motors showed the most improvement. GM had 69 models with average or better reliability, up from only 21 last year. GM's top-ranked brand was Chevrolet at 17, up from 25 last year.

GM shed some poor-quality models when it got rid of Saturn, Hummer and Pontiac, Champion said, and its new models like the Chevrolet Equinox crossover and Buick LaCrosse sedan are performing well.

The Chrysler brand was ranked last of 27 brands shown in the survey, the magazine said, while Jeep ranked 20th and Dodge was 24th. No Chrysler vehicles scored above average in reliability.

Champion said the company under its previous owners cut costs, and it's showing in the quality rankings. The company's in the process of updating its entire model lineup. New models like the Jeep Grand Cherokee are showing promise.

The most reliable vehicle in the survey was the Porsche Boxster sports car, while the least reliable was the Jaguar XF luxury car.

Complete rankings and recommendations will be revealed in the magazine's December issue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/26/most-reliable-cars-honda-_n_774293.html

to me some audi and 3 lion look cose to match box

u can never write honda accord off ! never; watch GM cars doing the catching up

1 Like

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by chucky234(m): 12:27pm On Feb 17, 2013
Nlanders with their comparisons sha, the last time I checked 1988 Ford Scorpio still convey heavy loads from Seme/Cotonou to Lagos,1988 Pegeout 504 still carries fat orobo women in Iejbu ode while 1992 passat,accord,Chevy impala and Benz 190 are still been driven with pride.
That's to say all of them are durable and reliable,it depends on your maintenance culture.
If una like make una kill una sef for this Sunday morning cos of motor.

2 Likes

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by shadyJ: 12:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
Frankie9ice:

...Now dis is d grouse I av with some nutheads on dis site,u want contributions frm an average Nigerian and of all cars on our roads 2day u single out a 2012 Benz S-Class 63 AMG vs a 2012 Toyota Lexus LS 600H. Dude r u resident in Naija at all? D average Nigerian has not driven a 2006 Benz talkless a 2012 model! Truth is if u want a review for those 2 cars u mentioned u do av to go to d National Assembly to interview d likes of Farouk Lawan et al. If we truly want to compare Euro/American vs Asia/Jap cars,let's do it wit vehichles like Benz 190/V-Boot vs Camry,Corolla,(up to 2003 models). Golf 3,Golf 4,Peguot 406,Opel Vectra vs Optima,Rio,Cerrato (up to 2008 models),Sienna,Maxima,Previa etc. Hia's a fair challenge; put a Benz C-Class 23O (Kompressor,2001) vs a Camry xle 2007, Abuja to Lagos back to Abuja same day and see which car wud outperform d other. I bet u,d benz wud do better fuel wise,reliability wise,radiator water wise,...and in every way. And dts for a 2001 Benz against a 2007 Toyota. Dia is simply no way u can compare a German ride wit a Jap one year for year
Thank you bro! Excellent response.. It always bugs me too when people bring up all these latest versions of cars when comparing in the Nigerian situation.. Wouldn't it have been more resonable to compare the cars we are more familiar with, just like u said, the v-boots, 190's etc to the camry's early honda's etc.. That wud make more sense and allow the nigerian owners of such cars to contribute and air their views because, quite frankly, in this country, there are more owners of those models of cars than these modern toys some of the posters here are mentioning.
As for the topic on board, I'd say the Euro cars edge it over their Asian counterparts.. I base my comparism on a driver's feel and actually haven driven both types of cars.. There's a certain confidence and balance found in European cars that is missing in Asian cars.. Anyone that is a true driver, knows that feeling I'm talking about. I feel asian cars are excellent in gadgets and aesthetic features.. But engine capability and mechanism goes to the Euro cars.. Right now, my dad still owns a mercedes benz v boot, a camry gli 2.0 lx and a peugeot all bought during the same period.. Only the benz and d peugoet are still functional in excellent condition, the camry has since packed up.. So, really, its a no-brainer as to which brand is better in durability.. As for relliablity, I feel it kinda depends on how well u take care of your car, cos different cars have different needs, and I feel when those needs are met, reliabilty is almost guaranteed. My opinion. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Nobody: 12:54pm On Feb 17, 2013
Advocate sam:

forget about hating Jap cars but let us be sincere to ourselves. Japan tech or Asia tech is just bread n butter tech compared to German tech/Euro tech. Why is it dat Volvo n Benz are the major producers of Trucks and heavy cars. Why is that BMW produces most of our aircraft engines? Why is it that VW sold d highest number of hatchback and sport cars so far? I imagine when people compare Jap cars wit German cars. Why shud u be comparing Toyota wit BMW or VW or Benz etc. Have u 4goten dat Bosch produces most of the parts for dis German n Euro cars. Dis shud be d last time we will be comparing Jap tech n German tech. I think we shud be comparing d German/Euro cars i.e. Benz vs BMW or Pegeout vs VW or VW vs Audi etc.
Most Nigerians use Jap cars because of the follow follow syndrone n I dont want to spend my money but pile it up in bank syndrone.

I am very sure dat 99.999999999% will pick German cars if it is given free n maintenance will be free. It is only a mad man that will pick 2012 toyota camry or any model over 2012 Benz or BMW or VW etc

So d problem is dat Nigerians don't want to spend their money or enjoy it but dis reminds me dat Solomon in Ecclesiates said it takes d Grace of God for u 2 enjoy ur labour. Nigerians ve 4gotten dat keeping of dis wealth somewhere is vanity upon vanity. All is vanity
Bmw used to be an aircraft engine manufacturer, they went out of dat line long ago, chk ur facts.
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 17, 2013
Frankie9ice:

...Now dis is d grouse I av with some nutheads on dis site,u want contributions frm an average Nigerian and of all cars on our roads 2day u single out a 2012 Benz S-Class 63 AMG vs a 2012 Toyota Lexus LS 600H. Dude r u resident in Naija at all? D average Nigerian has not driven a 2006 Benz talkless a 2012 model! Truth is if u want a review for those 2 cars u mentioned u do av to go to d National Assembly to interview d likes of Farouk Lawan et al. If we truly want to compare Euro/American vs Asia/Jap cars,let's do it wit vehichles like Benz 190/V-Boot vs Camry,Corolla,(up to 2003 models). Golf 3,Golf 4,Peguot 406,Opel Vectra vs Optima,Rio,Cerrato (up to 2008 models),Sienna,Maxima,Previa etc. Hia's a fair challenge; put a Benz C-Class 23O (Kompressor,2001) vs a Camry xle 2007, Abuja to Lagos back to Abuja same day and see which car wud outperform d other. I bet u,d benz wud do better fuel wise,reliability wise,radiator water wise,...and in every way. And dts for a 2001 Benz against a 2007 Toyota. Dia is simply no way u can compare a German ride wit a Jap one year for year

Ur 'fair comparison' is questionable. There are mass market brands (VW,honda,nissan,chevrolet,ford,toyota) and luxury brands (lexus,bmw,audi,mercedes,jaguar), then there are segments;small,Midsize,large. A 2001 C230k should be compared with a 01 bmw 320i,lexus IS200,acura TL and an audi A4 1.8T. (these are marched for price,size,engine and badge). The rivals of an 07 camry are the VW passat,peugeot 407 ,honda Accord,ford fusion,chevy malibu. All are Front Wheel Drives and have the same target demographic.

1 Like

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Advocatesam(f): 1:27pm On Feb 17, 2013
platinumricky:
Bmw used to be an aircraft engine manufacturer, they went out of dat line long ago, chk ur facts.

I think u shud ve said BMW started with aircraft engine manufacturing before adding production of cars to their business. Majorly BMW produces engines ranging from aircraft to car to trucks etc.

Check ur facts too

1 Like

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by yungboss(m): 1:34pm On Feb 17, 2013
Frankie9ice:

''Nuthead'' lol, but dude you sound retarded for:
1.Turning your eyes away from the parenthesis in my post you referenced- the independent market. 2. You are comparing a Mercedes 190 to a camry up to 2003...what are your measures for comparison, what indices are you looking at? for real, please let us know and communicate within the context of the topic, also noting the 14 year gap in technology of both cars you mentioned. So we are looking at a golf 3 vr6 vs 2008 maxima? Have you bothered looking up the stats of both cars, if you talk performance?
3. A 2001 c230k vs a 2007 camry xle what? So in a round trip from abuja to lagos you are talking reliability and durability? What on earth are you about son, ''fuel-wise, reliability-wise, radiator water-wise...'' what has informed such unrealistic assumptions when the topic doesn't call for such?
your thinking process is highly flawed.
In as much as i adore the German cars, and cannot drive any other, i must be objective along the lines of sportsmanship. The camrys you mentioned are very good cars...and they have good reliability and performance especially the 2007 camry v6. It will accelerate to 100km/h in 6secs. It will hit the quarter mile in 14.3secs, it cannot handle well like the benz but it'll take the 1.8 litre compressor on a straight line. When you compare make it fair, and not just picking vehicles of distinct generation if it has to be that, it has to be square...

2 Likes

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by DECOtech(m): 1:42pm On Feb 17, 2013
oyb: bizarre thread

german cars are typically performance, luxury cars, japanese cars are typically economy cars

completely different mindsets in design

a german car is a gas guzzling precision piece of machinery - a jap car is a high mileage vehicle with wide tolerances

comparisons within a country like nigeria with our lousy roads , poor maintenance culture and incompetent mechanics is just a waste of time
A good point.
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Nobody: 1:47pm On Feb 17, 2013
Advocate sam:

I think u shud ve said BMW started with aircraft engine manufacturing before adding production of cars to their business. Majorly BMW produces engines ranging from aircraft to car to trucks etc.

Check ur facts too
I am familiar with the history of Bayerische Motoren werke. That's why i applied the phrase 'used to'. BMW AG doesn't 'manufacture' aircraft engines anymore.
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by DECOtech(m): 2:02pm On Feb 17, 2013
oyb: bizarre thread

german cars are typically performance, luxury cars, japanese cars are typically economy cars

completely different mindsets in design

a german car is a gas guzzling precision piece of machinery - a jap car is a high mileage vehicle with wide tolerances

comparisons within a country like nigeria with our lousy roads , poor maintenance culture and incompetent mechanics is just a waste of time
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by oyinbogirl(f): 2:04pm On Feb 17, 2013
platinumricky: European luxury cars tend to become nightmarish to own when they start ageing- the more electronics U̶̲̥̅̊ load in a vehicle, the more likely the number of issues that will arise as the age increases. Let's look @​ the 9yr+ examples of these luxury cars :
1. 2002 mercedes S500 (W220)
2. 2002 Bmw 745i (E65)
3. 2003 Audi A8 4.2 quattro (D3,
Typ 4E).
4. 2003 Lexus LS430 (XF30)
5. 2004 Maserati Quattroporte (quattroporte V)

All 5 are full size V8-luxury cars. The first 3 are german, the 4th is japanese while the fifth is italian. The four europeans were praised for their driving dynamics and technological features then, the favourite of the automotive press was the S-class during that era. It was praised for its 'magic carpet' ride. The chris bangle-designed 7series wasn't far behind..the Audi A8 was praised for it torque-vectoring AWD and its interior (the styling,fit & finish won awards then) . The lexus was labelled 'dull and boring' and bland to look at/drive. The pininfarina designed-maserati was hailed for its italian flavour and ferrari-sourced powertrains. Fastforward to the present day; of all these luxury cars, only the lexus has stood the test of time reliability-wise. it has the least amount of problems per 100 vehicles. The w220 was panned for its reliability and build quality (engine,transmission/suspension failures were rampant on vehicles with less than 20k miles on the odometer). The e65 7series is also problematic- its ZF transmission has had a lot of failures, in addition to cooling/electrical gremlins. The other have their issues too (their case files are long)..and their repair bills are outrageously expensive.

Agree here with you. Euro cars are great but high maitenence and parts are ridiculously expensive. They always want you to use genuine parts. I recall a friend paid $600 for a plastic radiator overflow bottle for a 2005 Jag. A centre cap for a wheel $400. You are paying for a brand, cos i believe all parts come from Japan or China anyway and are marked up massively. No jokes. And as someone else here said, the more electronic technology the car has, is trouble ahead when the car gets some age on it. That said they are really cool cars, awesome to drive (drove an X5 ) and if maitained well last a decent amount of years. Leather interior wears quickly, especially on the sides where you first get in. Some of the Mercedes and BMW models I wasnt too fussed on the interior, I felt they were to 'dry' and faded looking for a new car. Note i say some models. Now for Asian cars....the Japanese always seemed to bring out reliable, hardy and affordable cars. Parts are readily available and depending on the model, can be reasonable. Camry and Lexus have a good reputation...the former being around now for years. Honda use to be lower scale and i heard many having electrical issues, but from what i see now, have picked up their game. I have a Toyota and old one, i can count on one hand d troubles its had. One issue it seems to rust out easily, but mechanical wise its the best. Euro cars are about luxury and performance. Do your research and buy whats within your budget. Asian cars are not in the same class as euro cars (excepting Lexus) they are cheaper because they are mass- produced but still are reliable and hardy. Cheers
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by yungboss(m): 2:33pm On Feb 17, 2013
oyinbogirl:

Agree here with you. Euro cars are great but high maitenence and parts are ridiculously expensive. They always want you to use genuine parts. I recall a friend paid $600 for a plastic radiator overflow bottle for a 2005 Jag. A centre cap for a wheel $400. You are paying for a brand, cos i believe all parts come from Japan or China anyway and are marked up massively. No jokes. And as someone else here said, the more electronic technology the car has, is trouble ahead when the car gets some age on it. That said they are really cool cars, awesome to drive (drove an X5 ) and if maitained well last a decent amount of years. Leather interior wears quickly, especially on the sides where you first get in. Some of the Mercedes and BMW models I wasnt too fussed on the interior, I felt they were to 'dry' and faded looking for a new car. Note i say some models. Now for Asian cars....the Japanese always seemed to bring out reliable, hardy and affordable cars. Parts are readily available and depending on the model, can be reasonable. Camry and Lexus have a good reputation...the former being around now for years. Honda use to be lower scale and i heard many having electrical issues, but from what i see now, have picked up their game. I have a Toyota and old one, i can count on one hand d troubles its had. One issue it seems to rust out easily, but mechanical wise its the best. Euro cars are about luxury and performance. Do your research and buy whats within your budget. Asian cars are not in the same class as euro cars (excepting Lexus) they are cheaper because they are mass- produced but still are reliable and hardy. Cheers
well said...
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by newmaonza: 2:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
yungboss: advocate Sam is angryyyyyyy!!!! Lol
This is a highly debatable topic Ikenna, many views and opinions are going to be generated.
The word ''duarbility'' will be difficult to define because people may choose to refer to life span of exterior body parts and longevity of external and internal components.
''Reliability'' index on the other hand could mean susceptibility to failure, or how well you trust a component to last as designated by factory specification.
The japanese cars were designed with a simplistic philosophy, majority of their cars weren't designed with a performance-oriented philosophy. Performance comes at a premium when compared with most euro brands e.g, the Mercedes. Today,the new toyota corolla still comes with a 4-speed auto...now you cannot compare that with e.g, a BMW that provided the F1 type SMG as far back as 1999/2000, or the DCT...these drivetrain types are way more advanced than the former and hence you wouldn't compare them to the type found in the best lexus, mitsubishi, toyota, nissan, subaru of the time...
Because of the different orientation of both the German/Euro and Asian cars, for me, this would be hard to compare. People say Japanese cars can ''run forever'' i would agree (to an extent)...but i would also agree that they gratify their respective owners differently, and for me, this is the turning point.
A toyota's engine can be ''abused'' by a makeshift technician, but you don't abuse the German cars without paying dearly.
Sometime in 2011 when i went about asking for a BMW mechanic, i met a person who withdrew from touching my car because, though by specialty he was unauthorized but from simple deduction, he attempted diagnosing a prob for a someone who owned a BMW and it backfired on him, he tried jump-testing some component and according to him, this he would ''ordinarily do in other cars'' without a problem, and he ended up paying dearly...(forgotten what it was)...
The japanese cars have the basic engineering/automotive design, the Euro/German cars have been engineered with all kinds of unproven technology, from its suspension to its driveline innovations, edging towards performance and not so much of reliabilty or durability (my views) as the toyota and its pioneer Hybrid Technology but of course, you dig a little deeper into your pocket for maintenance, but this the price you pay for the performance it offers. Maybe we should bring two cars to question:
the 2012 Merc S Class 63 Amg vs 2012 Lexus LS 600h and break down each technology to see what's more basic...and prone to last longer (maintenance cost) for an average Nigerian (independent market). Trac and siena can do justice to this aspect.
J.D. Power and Associates rates lexus above the Merc, BMW, VW,Porsche based on consumer reports...but in their performance band, the opposite was the result.
This topic cannot be exhausted, but in summary i'll choose the Gratification and performance of a Euro car over the easily accessible 'relaibility' of the Asian car...
Ikenna,
sorry i may have strayed from the topic a little, pardon me.

Please thats is a big Lie.... From my little experience I think this battle between German & Japanese Cars go on because there is no Major dealership/partnership for German or European cars again in Nigeria,If You remove Elizade and Briscoe Support for Toyota, I believe all Japanese Brands will die in Nigeria... Think of it PAN gave way any Our Trusted Peugeot is dead, Ten years ago Nobody will compare a Corolla to a 505...

Summary,Its Useless buying a car and waiting for 3 months just to change a defective sensor.

2 Likes

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Piyke: 2:47pm On Feb 17, 2013
How about the American spec of Asian cars? Eg A Honda Accord America spec and the japanese Models. I once went to honda place Abuja and Enugu with my EOD and was told that they only work on the Japanese spec.

Does American specification change anything with regards to reliability and durability?
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by ikeyman00(m): 2:50pm On Feb 17, 2013
FACT

euro cars get more expensive to maintain when it start to age!

esply 3 lions!

citron nko hm

1 Like

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by nattymallam: 2:50pm On Feb 17, 2013
nony30: First and foremost,τ̲̅ȍ comment here you are supposed τ̲̅ȍ have driven cars from all the above mentioned continents and •̸№t just d recent follow follow d crowd mentality τ̲̅ȍ be able τ̲̅ȍ make useful comments here.for me the German cars come first in durability and declines in reliability if •̸№t well maintained due τ̲̅ȍ age.The japanese comes first in reliability and fails in the durability department cos they don't last under stress.And the euro cars. Which is where the Peugeot comes from is a balance of durability and reliability with serious attention τ̲̅ȍ detail by the owner they stay fit for long.Asian?Kia,Hyundai,joylong,greatwall,chinese cars? Hmm,I can't say cos I will never test drive such cars •̸№t τ̲̅ȍ talk of owning them.
LoLo
I have driven cars ffom both sides, Pontiac, Passat and Toyota, when they are new the amiricauro cars rock, but with passage of time the japanese tick. I no lomger touch my pontiac because na basket case. Japan all d way

1 Like

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 17, 2013
Ijogz K: When it comes to Eletronics, European stuffs might be the best, but mehnnn for cars, no one beats God own country (USA)
U̶̲̥̅̊ gotta be kidding me! American cars have had craptacular quality for ages, its just from 07 dat they started stepping up their game. The only american cars worth having are the all new chevy corvette,the SRT viper,the 300c/dodge charger with the 8spd ZF gearboxes, and the new grand cherokee (which shares its platform with the new Mercedes M-class).
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by GodsSon5(m): 4:13pm On Feb 17, 2013
This Post came in timely because i have been contemplating getting between a baby boy1999/2000 model and a mercedes C Class 1998-2000 model but from the reviews i've read so far its quite clear i should get a Mercedes C class because it even has a better fuel economy, stronger and is more durable than the Baby Boy my only problem with the ride is the shape its like a match box but thats no problem i'd sure go for it and i pray God's blessings to Enjoy it Amen!! or do u guys think other wise? ya comments will be helpful thanks
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Ikenna351(m): 4:14pm On Feb 17, 2013
ikeyman00: FACT

euro cars get more expensive to maintain when it start to age!

esply 3 lions!

citron nko hm

By 3 Lions, you mean Peugeot? Can you back up your claims with facts.

Ikenna.
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Advocatesam(f): 4:26pm On Feb 17, 2013
platinumricky:
I am familiar with the history of Bayerische Motoren werke. That's why i applied the phrase 'used to'. BMW AG doesn't 'manufacture' aircraft engines anymore.

Pls still go back n check ur facts again. Go n find out the team that partner Boeing in producing Boeing 707, 727, 737, 747, 767.
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 17, 2013
Europeans make some of the best handling and performing vehicles available. Its just that they always find a way to make things; expensive, complicated, sophisticated, scarce, rare, and difficult..If you can afford all the services an euro car maker has to offer,you would never have hitches with Euros..
Euros gat more power, acceleration and shorter braking distances than japs.. While European vehicles certainly usually offer more in terms of acceleration, handling, performance and steering - they often fall short in terms of reliability of the mark set by Japanese made vehicles

Once you go Euro you can't go back... The Classy interior design, the quality rubber the solid thud when you shut the door, overall build quality, projecting the right image across..... in the higher end spec models there is still the performance and driveability of a japanese car.

Its difficult to determine which type of vehicle is best . If you're looking for a high-performance vehicle, then buy European. However, if you're looking for something more reliable and easier to maintain, then a Japanese vehicle is the way to go.
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by GodsSon5(m): 4:33pm On Feb 17, 2013
Ikenna351:

By 3 Lions, you mean Peugeot? Can you back up your claims with facts.

Ikenna.

Ikenna i quite agree with what he said, most auto mechanics especially in Abuja feel that once u using a Peugeot especially a 406 you are a Federal govt worker and they tend to charge you so much for something little even the spare parts..i dont really understand why..cos i feel some Peugeot are actually coupled in Nigeria and hence they should be cheaper but the opposite is the case..
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by chucky234(m): 4:47pm On Feb 17, 2013
Gods-Son:
This Post came in timely because i have been contemplating getting between a baby boy1999/2000 model and a mercedes C Class 1998-2000 model but from the reviews i've read so far its quite clear i should get a Mercedes C class because it even has a better fuel economy, stronger and is more durable than the Baby Boy my only problem with the ride is the shape its like a match box but thats no problem i'd sure go for it and i pray God's blessings to Enjoy it Amen!! or do u guys think other wise? ya comments will be helpful thanks
You better for BabyBoy,except you are talking of 2002/2003 C-class.
98-2000 na scrap compare to 98-2000 Honda accord ooo,if you no take my advice. I don drive both cars so I know wetin I dey talk,make nobody dare quote me ooo cos I dey para today.

1 Like

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by omodapson(m): 5:03pm On Feb 17, 2013
Euro made cars all the way... my problem with them is replacing parts, God, they are damn expensive!
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Originalsly: 5:07pm On Feb 17, 2013
Piyke: How about the American spec of Asian cars? Eg A Honda Accord America spec and the japanese Models. I once went to honda place Abuja and Enugu with my EOD and was told that they only work on the Japanese spec.

Does American specification change anything with regards to reliability and durability?
Nice question!... am hoping the hmmm...nutheads jump in. I think the American specs do affect reliability and durability. Think they are made stronger and have to pass a higher safefy standard. And from my observation...the American versions have more powerful engines. E.g...any US Nissan Maxima...despite the year...has a 3000 cc engine or greater. I guess to carry 4 Americans means the engine has to be built to tug at least 1000 lbs easily ...uphill!
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Originalsly: 5:12pm On Feb 17, 2013
chucky234: You better for BabyBoy,except you are talking of 2002/2003 C-class.
98-2000 na scrap compare to 98-2000 Honda accord ooo,if you no take my advice. I don drive both cars so I know wetin I dey talk,make nobody dare quote me ooo cos I dey para today.
I beg to differ. I also owned a hmmmm.....he dey para today...let me shut up!
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 17, 2013
Advocate sam:

Pls still go back n check ur facts again. Go n find out the team that partner Boeing in producing Boeing 707, 727, 737, 747, 767.
Let me clarify something; Boeing, right from time has been using rolls royce aircraft engines in a lot of their planes. Rolls royce used to be a group split mainly into aviation & automotive divisions (bentley was part of rolls automotive then). The company was later demergered and the aviation and automotive divisions became separate companies. In 1998, bentley was acquired by vw while BMW got the 'rights' to the Roll royce automotive brand. The Rolls flagship b4 the arrival of the phantom in late 2002 - the silver seraph was using a BMW 5.4 V12, the phantom's 6.75 V12 engine is a reworked 6.0 V12 (N73B60) from the E65 7series. Bmw doesn't have ANY LINK with rolls royce aviation division. Boeing and bmw recently agreed to team up on ways of recycling carbon fibre for commercial use (boeing intends to use CF in aircraft construction while bmw is interested in applying the material to their upcoming i3 city car and i8 supercar)- that's the only thing linking both firms presently.
Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by InvertedHammer: 6:04pm On Feb 17, 2013

The way I see it...in a layman's explanation, Japanese cars are daily drivers...from point A to point B.
You cannot use Euro cars as daily drivers without paying high cost of maintenance.

More often than not, Euro cars sit in the garage figuring out ways to bankrupt their owners.

In all, older Euro cars are more reliable than these new plastics they build these days.
Mercedes 200, 230, Peugeot 404,504, Landrover (used for towing), etc will go on till the wheels fall off.

These days, cars are only as good as the leases last. After 5yrs, na wahala upon wahala.
Throw in Nigeria mechanics into the mix, then instead of driving your car, you car will turn
around and start driving you.

3 Likes

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 17, 2013
Originalsly: Nice question!... am hoping the hmmm...nutheads jump in. I think the American specs do affect reliability and durability. Think they are made stronger and have to pass a higher safefy standard. And from my observation...the American versions have more powerful engines. E.g...any US Nissan Maxima...despite the year...has a 3000 cc engine or greater. I guess to carry 4 Americans means the engine has to be built to tug at least 1000 lbs easily ...uphill!
a lot of usdm (US domestic market) vehicles are styled and built there e.g. Toyota sequoia,tundra,avalon,tacoma,camry, nissan titan,honda accord. The emission requirements of usdm cars is not as tough as the ones in europe- that's why us market cars often have bigger engine options and more bhp than their european counterparts. The most important requirement there is the crash test rating. Usdm cars are not necessarily more reliable than their european variants...

1 Like

Re: Euro/American Vs Asian Cars (Reliability, Durability & Performance) by GodsSon5(m): 6:27pm On Feb 17, 2013
Originalsly: I beg to differ. I also owned a hmmmm.....he dey para today...let me shut up!

Dont shut up oo, pls air ur views too they important for some of us counting on them to make major decisions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019 BMW M2 Competition Arrives With 410 Horsepower (photos And Details) / Help! Honda Accord Gear Problem. / Behaving As A Car Owner In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.