Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,219 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) (19031 Views)

Mass Wedding Of 109 Couples In Nasarawa State Today / Photos From A Wedding Ceremony In Yola IDP Camp / Jos Holds Mass Wedding For 52 Couples! (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Orpelin: 11:23pm On Feb 17, 2013
Thousands of Unification Church followers have married in a
mass wedding in South Korea - the first since the death of their "messiah" and controversial church founder Sun Myung Moon.
Around 3,500 identically dressed couples - many of mixed nationality who had met just days before - took part in the ceremony with the exchange of wedding vows at the church's headquarters in Gapyeong, east of Seoul today.
Mass weddings, some held in giant sports stadiums with tens of thousands of couples, have long been a signature feature of the church and one that "Moonie" critics have pointed to as evidence of cult underpinnings.
Sunday's event carried a special resonance, with Moon's 70-year- old widow Hak Ja Han presiding for the first time without her husband who died five months ago, aged 92, of complications from pneumonia.
The church's mass weddings began in the early 1960s and
originally involved just a few dozen couples.
Over the years they grew in size and attracted international media attention.
In 1997, 30,000 couples tied the knot in Washington and two years later around 21,000 filled Seoul's Olympic Stadium.
Nearly all were personally matched by Moon, who taught that romantic love led to sexual promiscuity, mismatched couples and dysfunctional societies.
Many were married just hours after meeting for the first time, and Moon's preference for cross-cultural, international marriages means they often shared no common language.
Oath
In recent years, matchmaking responsibilities have shifted
towards parents, but 400 of the church members married on Sunday had chosen to be paired off a few days before at an
"engagement ceremony" presided over by Moon's widow.
"Yeah, I was pretty nervous," admitted Jin Davidson, a 21 year-old student from the United States, whose Australian father and Japanese mother were matched by Moon.
"Then all of a sudden she popped up in front of me, and I said OK," Davidson said of his Japanese bride-to-be, Kotona Shimizu, also 21.

"We struggle a little to communicate right now, as I speak no
Japanese at all, and she only speaks a little English, but we see it as an exciting challenge and proof of our faith," he said. Those who choose to be matched by the church must confirm under oath that they are virgins, and after their wedding the couple must refrain from sexual relations for a minimum of 40 days.
In a sign of the changing times, Lisa, from Trinidad and Tobago, first met her bridegroom, Hubert from Poland, on Skype after being put in contact by family and church friends.
Hubert visited her family in December and the couple decided to attend Sunday's event in South Korea to receive the blessing of "mother Moon".
"I've been waiting for him all my life," Lisa said.
"Language isn't such an issue. We're connected by the church."
Revered
The ceremony was held in the same vast, covered stadium where Moon's elaborate funeral was held on September 15. Hak Ja Han entered to the strains of Handel's Hallelujah chorus and led the couples in their vows. [b]Another 12,000 couples around the world took part via a live internet feed.[/b]Revered by his followers but denounced by critics as a charlatan who brainwashed church members, Moon was a deeply divisive figure whose shadowy business dealings saw him jailed in the US.
The teachings of the Unification Church are based on the Bible but with new interpretations, and Moon saw his role as completing the unfulfilled mission of Jesus to restore humanity to a state of "sinless" purity.
While it claims a worldwide following of 3 million, experts suggest the core membership is far smaller although it still carries a commercial clout that allows the church to punch way above its doctrinal weight.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-17/mass-wedding-for-moonies/4523918/
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Orpelin: 11:38pm On Feb 17, 2013
picture

Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Orpelin: 11:55pm On Feb 17, 2013
Another Pics

Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by sammynaijaguy(m): 12:05pm On Feb 18, 2013
good
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Igwe9(m): 12:05pm On Feb 18, 2013
cool
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Eneze1(f): 12:06pm On Feb 18, 2013
this is ridiculous

4 Likes

Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by pendusky(m): 12:07pm On Feb 18, 2013
Is that Jumong Village?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Nobody: 12:08pm On Feb 18, 2013
dont we do this is nigeria but at a much smaller scale ? grin
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by maclatunji: 12:09pm On Feb 18, 2013
I don't think I have ever seen a more confusing pile of faces. Our Asian friends tend to look alike.
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by CeCeBillz(f): 12:09pm On Feb 18, 2013
Good to know
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Katieposh(f): 12:10pm On Feb 18, 2013
Better hold ur bride or groom well if not na xchange go b d case.

5 Likes

Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by temizt: 12:13pm On Feb 18, 2013
Awfully unprepossessing. Kilode?
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Freiburger(m): 12:15pm On Feb 18, 2013
The next will be pictures of mass divorce. grin

4 Likes

Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by fuckluv(f): 12:15pm On Feb 18, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by pretim(f): 12:16pm On Feb 18, 2013
Orpelin: Thousands of Unification Church followers have married in a
mass wedding in South Korea - the first since the death of their "messiah" and controversial church founder Sun Myung Moon.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-17/mass-wedding-for-moonies/4523918/
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Sijo01(f): 12:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
Waooo! Lovely.
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by NaLaugh: 12:22pm On Feb 18, 2013
See all the masses wey dey form virgin under oath cheesy
when Some even run package inside car on their way to the place
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 18, 2013
Really ridiculous

Eneze1: this is ridiculous
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by sweetmimi(f): 12:25pm On Feb 18, 2013
See me see case, the next story now will be mass divorce.
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 18, 2013
Happy Married Life to all of them. cool

1 Like

Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by hollypagan: 12:28pm On Feb 18, 2013
this wedding good oo i swear
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Ganys: 12:29pm On Feb 18, 2013
We have this kind of wedding in Nigeria.... Shao people of Kwara state also stage Mass Wedding annually, Nigeria, we no dey carry Last cool
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by kufreabasi(m): 12:32pm On Feb 18, 2013
No one should come and tell me he has not seen his own wife or husband oo.
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by jadajada: 12:32pm On Feb 18, 2013
dis na madness!
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Haryomhe(m): 12:34pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ahahahah! Na mass burial i knw b4, whc one be mass marriage

1 Like

Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by Dee60: 12:37pm On Feb 18, 2013
Chei..Black man for front row be like Naija!
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by question(m): 12:38pm On Feb 18, 2013
Valentine wedding.
Expect baby boom in nine months time.
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by moonraker(m): 12:40pm On Feb 18, 2013
in rick ross voice

Rosay: Huh!!!
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by nagoma(m): 12:42pm On Feb 18, 2013
I wish I was there. When is the next batch?
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by moneyhungry(m): 12:42pm On Feb 18, 2013
some naija girls need south Korean visa sha.

1 Like

Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by simplifier(f): 12:46pm On Feb 18, 2013
confusion embarassed
Re: Mass Wedding Ceremony In South Korea (Pic) by maskid(m): 12:46pm On Feb 18, 2013
Dee60: Chei..See Ibo man for front there!

u don dey fyn trouble ni

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abuja Pool Party Holds As Startimes, Razor Sharp Support With Loud Give-aways / It's My Birthday.... Join Me And Celebrate! / Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.