Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,134 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. (83799 Views)

Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / What Do You Know About Isoko People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by icezik1(m): 9:26am On Apr 04, 2008
Yeah, I'm learning a lot. Keep this thread alive, people.

P.S:- I noticed that Isoko's eat a lot of solids, my grandparents eat almost nothing else apart from yam.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 12:10pm On Apr 04, 2008
@ice zik Yeah,they really like Yam and the goodnews is that they have a lot of varieties.they have the water yam and even the red yam.my fav.Yam meal is the water yam cooked with peppersoup with plenty fishes garnished with red oil. . . .sweeeet
Isoko wadooooooooooooo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 9:19am On Apr 05, 2008
I love yam. Maybe, I can pay you a visit and have a taste. Too much yam, may make them baby twins producers.

Fried beans? Never heard of it. I imagine it would be like fried rice.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 9:20am On Apr 05, 2008
I love yam. Maybe, I can pay you a visit and have a taste. Too much yam, may make them baby twins producers.

Fried beans? Never heard of it. I imagine it would be like fried rice.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 11:35pm On Apr 05, 2008
ifyalways:

@ice zik Yeah,they really like Yam and the goodnews is that they have a lot of varieties.they have the water yam and even the red yam.my fav.Yam meal is the water yam cooked with peppersoup with plenty fishes garnished with red oil. . . .sweeeet
O girl, na which one be this? Does it have a name? tongue

Anyhow, our main food is Banga soup and starch. I'm not particular about the starch but my Mom and sisters make a mean banga soup with fresh or dried fish or smoked chicken like my sister does. We also have what is called "Ukodo", which is usually goat meat boiled like pepper soup but then you add yam to it. You can also make it with chicken. Delicious. Of course, pepper soup is a regular. We eat it regularly at home, mainly on saturdays.

Olanajim, what's this myth about those who eat yam bearing twins? We don't have twins in my family and we've always eaten yam and twins is not very common among my people, not like with the Yorubas.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 1:17pm On Apr 06, 2008
lol
Ukodo is the name kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss better served with fresh fish kiss
Olanajinam you want to try the "fried beans and tinko" ?
Tinko is a special type of meat.spiced,cooked,fried and dried. . .so sweet cool
wadooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 4:10pm On Apr 06, 2008
I would be glad to try it. I wish I can cook it myself.

As for that myth, lifedone, I heard somewhere. I love twins though.

Now this pepper soup, I must confess, I have never tasted one. I heard it can be pepperish so I don't want to have teary eyes after eating. If it could be prepared in a way that I won't have to drink gallon of water, I would welcome it.

Why aren't twins popular over there?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 10:23pm On Apr 06, 2008
@olanajim, I didn't say twins are not popular, but they are not common like you find in Yorubaland. As for the myth, if it were true, we would surely have twins in my family, if not from my mum, then from one of her children, cos that woman sure eats a lot of yam, with banga soup and starch. LOL. I'm surprised you don't know about pepper soup. I thought the Yorubas were renowned for their pepper eating prowess. The spices are sold in markets in Lagos. I can give you the recipe if you want. It's very easy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 8:19am On Apr 08, 2008
I knew about it. But I kept away from it.

Bonga soup, that is goatmeat soup? Any bushmeat, delicacies?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 1:29pm On Apr 08, 2008
lol its BANGA SOUP,Ola tongue

its basically prepared with palm oil gotten from the kernal,lots of spices,dry fish,fresh fish,bush meat eg grasscutter,and sometimes periwinkles. kiss

wadoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 5:38pm On Apr 08, 2008
ifyalways,

BANGA soup is about the best of the best, there use to be place in peckham rye, delta tavern that did a really good one , but they've moved and i dont know where to.

Currently, i use a substitute called troffa in a tin, its not the same as everyrthing you use is alternatives, not like the real thing, but as they say half bread is better than none.
grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 5:41pm On Apr 08, 2008
Ifyalways,
are you able to get all the ingredients in the Ivory coast i have few ivorien friends and they have never heard of banga soup
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 6:00pm On Apr 08, 2008
Konkem you havesaid it all.i dont joke with banga soup ooo grin
Yeah i get all the ingredients here . . . . ufie,ehuru and others.The ivoriens do sell it but they dont use it.Banga is so nutrituous and can be taken with almost everything,eba,yam,rice,plantain and ofcos starch.
i have a question though,are okpe ppl Isokos?
do they still dance okorojuju/odorojuju in urhobo or Isoko land?
i have heard much abt the female circumcission b4 marriage,is it still praticed?

wadooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 7:15pm On Apr 08, 2008
Ifyalways,
Okpe is a strange one, I do NOT ascribe to this practice but I know they go to Isoko land to pay homage to some demonic gods as part of their traditional festivals.
In relation to female circumcision, there are some die hard traditionalists that hold on to it, but for most people and Christians it is a fast fading tradition.
That dance, I admit, eebe like say you ground pass me, I never hear that dance for my villa before oh!!! grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 9:59pm On Apr 08, 2008
@ola, "bonga soup" cheesy Serious LOL. Hot pepper soup for you for that.
Ify, na wa for you. Where you dey get these your stories from? Dancing kiniko. Girl, you been around naija. I hail you. I'll have to ask my Mum about Isoko dances. This one whey you describe na die.
Isoko wadoo!!!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 3:00pm On Apr 09, 2008
grin cheesy grin
fear don fear fear.lol
@komekn,its Ok.i heard something like that too abt the okpes.Moreso,those guys are experts ith the matchet . . .never let any okpe man cross a cutlass over your neck cos definietly,your neck wud get lost. grin
Good to hear that the female circumcission thing is fast fading.have a friend that has been avoiding home cos of that,shes an orphan and is so scared that her old grannies might talk her into doing it.
Okorodudu/okorojuju dance?its very popular now.way back then in warri,when i small cheesy nyway its a kind of ceremony sha very popular then,maybe it has faded like other traditions.
why must it be garri that is used to prepare "owo" soup?is there any other substitute?i love owo soup but the thought of using garri to thicken it makes me sick somehow.any suggestions?
Isoko wadooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. cool
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 5:14pm On Apr 11, 2008
Ifyalways,

How can i make owo soup considering particularly what substitutes i can use in the UK, or just tell me the methodlogy and ingredients and ill seewhat i can get and hope for the best.

Secondly, in my treks in th delta i have noticed that so many shrines have been taken down and its more of a shame than a pride, i suspect that a lot of rites(like female circumcision) that had certain linkages to these shrines began to just loose significance and have almost died.

Thank God for that tell your friend its safe to come to Isoko now. grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 5:39pm On Apr 11, 2008
Komekn,am really sorry,my PC is having a lirrrrle problem today.i wud tell you abt the owo soup morrrow. wink
where is liftedone?do find out abt the 'Urhobo makossa' and "okorojuju dance " and come give us a feedback.
Ola whasssup?you preparing the fried beans?

lol what abt 'kpo-kpo garri'? kiss oh! my dayzz,kpo kpo garri with dried fish and pepper.

wadoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ufobabe(f): 8:03pm On Apr 11, 2008
isoko wadooooo

am ufuoma

isoko south.

OLEH is my town.

was'up my people olanajim, ifyalways and others

I MISS U ALL.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 10:16pm On Apr 11, 2008
@ufobabe, welcome to this thread. Please speak some Isoko for us. 
Isoko Wadoooo!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 4:23am On Apr 12, 2008
Liftedon,
I don't mind the soup as long as it offer me normal nutritive value.

What is this owo soup? I hope it isn't also a pepper soup? I won't like spending all days gulping water.

And the kpa garri, isn't it like any other garri in the market? I am used to conventional lagos garri Ify, please clear the air.

@K,
no one had anwswer the question on the shrine. I am just surprised they have a shrine for circumcision. I hope it is a faded culture?

Ify,
I am yet to know how to make fried bean even though I had been waiting to have a taste. I was on Romance section trashing out a riddle with Almondjoy. I wish she were from Isoko. It would be a perfect root.

Ufobabe,
wadoo! Hope you are cool?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 11:01am On Apr 12, 2008
Olanajim,

There is no direct shrine for female circumcision as far as i know , however, the libations and associated ancestral worshipping that follows it are have linkages to these various shrines indrectly or directly.

Thank God that these high places are being pulled down and light has come, and we deh see road well now even if at times small, small, gallop deh 4 road. cool
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 2:07pm On Apr 12, 2008
Ufobabe wadooooooooooo. come and speak some Isoko for us please  tongue
Ola,the kpo-kpo garri i really don't know how to prepare it.its different from the usual garri me and you know.its more like lumps,methinks its garri fried specially with maybe salt and/or other spices.its best taken with fish.  kiss just fish or maybe groundnuts and NOT soup.
Komekn,hmmn owo soup.its very simple though.we call it emergency soup  wink just boil a little water,add a little kaun ie potash(optional),plenty red oil,fish and spices like uda and ehuru(optional) boil for like 15 mins,add a handful of garri(depends on the quantity of water you aded) and keep stiring till the garri all dissolves(the garri is meant to be a thickner).voila,soup is ready  grin my mum used to call it soup for lazy bones but i really like it  . . . .very delicious  tongue

liftedone whatssup with the "okorojuju dance and Urhobo makossa"?
thank heavens for civilization,i have a cousin that was circumcised just before her marriage.the pains and everything she had then,i can't wish that for my best enemy.then it was said that if you are not circumcissed before marriage,you wont either not get pregnant or if you do you would experience a very difficult delivery.
Isoko wadooooooooooooooooooooooooo  cool
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 11:56pm On Apr 12, 2008
Ify, someone said he'll help me look for that Urhobo makossa when he goes to Warri. The boy is still in town, I don't know when he's traveling but I'll remind him again tomorrow. Okorojuju dance, I've not seen my mum to ask her. I've not been home in about 5months. The road is still a nightmare, the last time I traveled I was very sick afterwards because of all the dust, ended up in hospital. So, I'm kind of wary about entering that road now, it's too stressful.
That your 'owo' soup sha, na die. Kome, don't come back with  tummy ache after eating that original Ify concoction of a soup o. I never heard owo soup was emergency soup o. I no send you o. Me I no know the head or tail of owo soup, only one of my aunties prepares it when we have ocassions at home. I was also telling my elder sister today when I thought of it, I realised that I have never actually started and completed the preparation of banga soup, strange for a homegrown Isoko girl.

As for circumcision, I guess some people still do it. I hear about it whenever they have traditional marriages. But I have never witnessed one and none of us girls in my family are circumcised( there are 5 of us girls in the family). It was never in my agenda, I heard my elder sister, who is more comformist talk about wanting to get it done at some point of our growing up. But she never came round to it. I met a lady from Gambia who is circumcised and her little girls are also circumcised. We were really mad at her for allowing her girls to be with all the enlightenment about it and this is a woman who lives in London for more than half of the year with her family. Some people just can't let go of tradition. There are all kinds of myths about female circumcision and they are all just that, myths.

Isoko wadooooo!. Where's ufobabe?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 5:33pm On Apr 13, 2008
Ify,
I am going to try the owo soup! Next weekend. It is good for my kind. I love emergency soups.

Liftedone,
That circumcision myth had better remains a myth. It would be bad news for ladies.

Ufo?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 5:34pm On Apr 13, 2008
Ify,
I am going to try the owo soup! Next weekend. It is good for my kind. I love emergency soups.

Liftedone,
That circumcision myth had better remains a myth. It would be bad news for ladies.

Ufo?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 1:27pm On Apr 18, 2008
lol
Ola try it and come and tell us jare. cheesy i wud be back to hear of your positive stories.you might even get addicted to it.owo with hot eba . . . .sweet dreams grin

Am going for fried beans and tinko this weekend.lol me and tinko. kiss tinko is a special type of beef,cooked with spices,fried and well dried.

heheehehee any body heard abt bayelsa suya? those edible big maggots gotten from palm trees? lol i have forgotten the native name but i know we call it bayelsa suya too. story for another day. tongue
wadooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ufobabe(f): 8:09pm On Apr 18, 2008
@ ify , ola

i didnt know that both of u are from my place. but how come, u bear not our isoko names?

ify, i believe so much in u. what is ur native name? ola, u too?

i love this thread!

what can i speak?

ify, u too much. thanks 4 being part of us.may Our gods bless u will plenty children!

isoko tolopia( carry cutlass)

isoko wadooooooooooooooooo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 8:24pm On Apr 18, 2008
Ifyalways,
i have had that suya thing, at Okirigwe junction, popularly called edible kind of oily but its alright, i brought some back to give to my friends, it was real blast. grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 2:01pm On Apr 19, 2008
lol
Ufobabe,well am connected to 9ja delta.not just Isoko but Itsekiri and Urhobo. tongue .Ufo i have heard abt the cutlass thing long time ago esp for okpe people.

Komekn,you have heard abt bayelsa suya too.Omo,dat thing is another thing altogether.i heard its very nutritious.It was difficult for me to eat it at first,lol,i used to shut my eyes and pop in to ma mouth.the sound too grin Yeah,its obtainable in igboland too.

what abt the tradition of bone must return to owner? as in when a woman marries outside or even within Isoko/Urhobo/Itsekiri/Ijaw land,when she dies,she wont be buried in the husbands home rather she wud be brought back to the parents house for burial.i kind of thing its werid,a woman ought to be buried in her hubbys home.

Liftedone whats up?dont dance the Urhobo makossa alone oooooh
Ola,we are all waiting for the "owo experience story" cheesy
wadooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 12:09pm On Apr 23, 2008
Ify, the Urhobo makossa is on the way. How do I get it to you? That "suya" thingy, not for me. I will not allow that thing to pass through my mouth. It's like eating locusts and crickets (ate crickets growing up, yuck!) But now, no I won't try it. But I like kpokpo garri, especially the salted one. Everybody that travels home always has a mandate to bring kpokpo garri for me or they are not to come to the house.

Ola, hope that "owo" has not torn your intestines out?  wink

Isoko wadoooooooooo.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 3:45pm On Apr 24, 2008
lol
i do eat lots of those maggots or whatever they are called.its so sweet,well garnished with pepper . . .pop in and out ! cheesy
kpokpo garri is a delicacy i cant forget easily.i wish i knew how to prepare it myself.
Ola is yet to show since that "owo soup" weekend.i hope hes ok?has the owo gone wrong somewhere?my hand no dey ooooooooooooooooooooooooh grin
liftedone if and when you get the makossa,download and post it here for our viewing and listening pleasure.
komekn wadooooooooo.
Isoko wadoooooooooooooooooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Masquerades At Golibe Festival Onitsha (Photos) / Lady Agreed Married A Dead Man (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.