Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,574 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. (83750 Views)

Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / What Do You Know About Isoko People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 3:55pm On Jun 19, 2008
Omoovie, that’s a cool name, child of the king I would say you are always welcome.

Ifyalways, I can actually see your village from my village, well I could a few years ago I haven’t been recently. The spices for owo soup, what is dawadawa/ogiri, Ukwa please ? Liftdone any idea? Or anybody else? Your observations are a quite correct, in my village the end which is closer to Igbide was called the Igbo end by my grandfathers

Acidrop no comment about your pseudonym, I have talked about this before. Isoko is a socio-political designation but part of the Uhrobo nation/ tribe. The question or assumption likening us to the same as the Ishan well I do not know what to say to that, just astounded.

Talking about Isoko, If I wanted to bring a bunch of foreigners for example to experience the rich culture, people, food, music etc, etc. Where could I take them, suggestions, ideas, ? Ono I need your contribution please.

Isoko Waaado ! grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 6:04pm On Jun 19, 2008
komekn:

Omoovie, that’s a cool name, child of the king I would say you are always welcome.

Ifyalways, I can actually see your village from my village, well I could a few years ago I haven’t been recently. The spices for owo soup, what is dawadawa/ogiri, Ukwa please ? Liftdone any idea? Or anybody else? Your observations are a quite correct, in my village the end which is closer to Igbide was called the Igbo end by my grandfathers

lol
original thread starter has talked ! cheesy i think Omovie came up with the authentic recipe for owo soup.dawadawa me thinks is maggi whille Ogiri is native maggi undecided lol a sort of sweetner/thickner prepared locally with either locust bean or whatever,dont know embarassed .its igbotic grin
Ukwa is the igbo name for breadfruit.why u asking?naw u are making me salivate tongue
@Oomovie thanks for the recipe wink
@all wadoo
@Ono . . . .Isokotic ejule how far ? angry
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 2:06am On Jun 20, 2008
Ifyalways, long time. I didn't forget the Urhobo makkossa o. No one has been able to get it for me. How's life treating you in Cote D'Ivoire?

Komekn, dawadawa is locust beans, a local seasoning. I'm not sure but I think it's the same thing as ogiri. You wan bring foreigners come Isoko? Hmmmm! With MEND and other Naija Delta militants on the prowl kidnapping at will? I wouldn't risk at this time sha. But be it to you according to your faith. I wouldn't really know where you could take them to experience our culture. I'll have to make enquiries about that. Besides, let it not be in this rainy season. Una go swim plenty.

Olanajim, na here you and debosky dey meet? This na Isoko thread, not meeting and dating zone!  grin

Isoko wadoo. Where are all the Isoko people? Many of them just drop their names disappear. I beg make all of una report hia.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ono(m): 6:08pm On Jun 20, 2008
Kome,
Ozoro and Oleh will do. We have some good hotels in those places to cater for your guests. I really don't know much about the festivals carried out in Isokoland in general. But I know about my town's - the Igbide Abame Festival. Erm, it's some kind of ''initiation'' into manhood of some sorts for matured boys and men. You need partake in this festival for you to ''belong''- kind of. I gathered those who have taken part in the festival are permitted to speak in the village meetings. . . . . . . . .and they will be heard no matter how small or big the fellow might be. As a matter of fact, a guy who's taken part in the festival is permitted to speak in place of an elderly person who hasn't! - Absurd, must say, but that's the Igbide people's way.

Now, the timing for the Abame festival is what I really don't have a grip on. I think the Ovie of Igbide has the final say on when the day/year should be. But I believe that will be after due consultation with the chiefs in council.

I also know of an annual fishing fetival at the Urie ''lake''. No one is permitted to do any major fishing activities in the Urie Lake until such a time that the Ovie wills it (or so I guess). It's another colourful occassion where the Igbide people gather to do something similar to what we have at the Argungu Festival up north in Kebbi state. These two festivals I know a little of. Now, if there are others, my Igbide folks could help out with them.

As per food, Ozi (edible starch) with fish pepper soup remains my favourite. I got to know about the popular Owo soup recently. I must confess I don't like the soup. Then, there's Banga soup. Another Isoko/Urhobo delicacy. Say what you like, it's one soup I dislike so much, you'd begin to wonder if I'm a true Isoko guy. . . . . LOL. Maybe because I grew up in Yorubaland, I like their food more. Give me pounded yam (prepared by a lady from Ekiti/Ondo axis) with a well fortified Egusi or Vegetable soup: I will give you all of my full month salary, . . . . .LOL!!

But the Isokos have very good food too. Like I said earlier, the Ozi is a good one.

Now as per music, what I see these days is a good development across Isokoland. Music preference is purely religious. The Isokos are very talented musicians. Ofano and some other evangelists play ''correct'' Isoko christian beats. Everyone's captivated/fascinated by the brand of Christian music the Isoko's sing.

Will continue later. . . . .with what I know.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 1:34pm On Jun 23, 2008
Ono,
How far ? Thanks a million for the info.

I also have a festival in my village I think we do it every three years. The problem is that the whole scenario is intrinsically linked with ancestral worship and demonic rites of passage and initiation.

As a Christian there is absolutely no compromise, i cannot participate or allude in my actions to some kind of tacit approval of these things. I know the implications spiritual and otherwise, darkness and light no deh join together.

Are we saying that our traditions and culture cannot have a demarcation from the worship and homage to things that are clearly in contradiction to the word of God.

Liftdone, Ifyalways, Talk to me my people, Waaado !!!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ono(m): 3:18pm On Jun 24, 2008
Err, I try to dissociate all the ''fetish stuff'' from pure entertainment most of the time. I have never attended any of the festivals myself. But I heard it's pretty colourful. , . . . . .and my, you're right. We could do all these festivals without bringing some gods and demons into the festivals. Don't know how that will work out in here. But it's worth trying to persuade the organisers to shape everything taking into consideration the religious background of everyone.

I just want to have some fun. That's all. And if having fun will lead me into joining some deities and gods, then I'll have to back off fast.

Isoko wadoo o o o o
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by bdaf(m): 3:59pm On Jun 24, 2008
isoko myin
mi yere omai kobi

from emewo town.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 4:37pm On Jun 24, 2008
bdaf:

isoko myin
mi yere omai kobi

from emewo town.

Digwo cheesy
@all wadoooo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by A40(m): 8:20pm On Jul 01, 2008
I hail ooh all my I-town people i can only Digwe so please dont ask me to speak the language cos i cant
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 11:54pm On Jul 01, 2008
@ifyalways, babes, where you dey since? How life? I no just see your break light o.

Kome, you are still on that whole 'ojuju calabar' quest. Let me know sha when you land. We get some serious 'ojuju' forest for my hometown. I'll take you there to experience nature if you are that inclined.

All you newbies, wadoo. But seriously though, isn't it sad that the Isoko language is dying gradually? You don't see that many parents teaching their kids to speak it even when they are both Isokos. My extended family is replete with such cases. We speak pidgin as the official lingua franca at home. Is there anything that we can do to reverse this trend?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 5:44pm On Jul 02, 2008
liftedone am right beside you wink
liftedone:

@ifyalways, babes, where you dey since? How life? I no just see your break light o.

All you newbies, wadoo. But seriously though, isn't it sad that the Isoko language is dying gradually? You don't see that many parents teaching their kids to speak it even when they are both Isokos. My extended family is replete with such cases. We speak pidgin as the official lingua franca at home. Is there anything that we can do to reverse this trend?
start speaking it ! the best way to preserve a language is by speaking it.speak at home with your ppl. Here is a thread for that. . .type it in here.others wud join or learn from you kiss
Kome whats gwan?
Ono the bulldozer how far?lmao
wadooo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 5:07pm On Jul 11, 2008
Mmmm Gwan ifyalways, if i used the term i think i was looking for somebody to tell me what it is, so i will admit to not knowing.

Have you been to your Villa in recent times ? I was wondering what the road is like, i guess i am going to need 4X4 to get through.

Speaking Isoko, practice makes better but not if you practice by yourself, where I am there is almost zero Isoko people so in reality i only get to hear it and speak it when I am back home, there in lies the problem. undecided
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 5:34pm On Jul 11, 2008
komekn you dey find palaver now cheesy
"gwam" in igbo means "tell me" .Now lets end it there.Ono, the bulldozer wudnt hesistate to remind us that this is an Isoko thread . cheesy
Kome,am in my villa now cheesy and ooh the road is soooo good you can virtually close your eyes or even sleep on the wheel whilsit driving cheesy i do ply in and out my villa with a "bat caterpillar" cheesy those types that J. berger use wink
Even if you are the only one that speak Isoko wherever you are,sing with it,pray with it and if possible cry with it too cheesy lol
liftedone i cant believe that up till now,you are yet to surface with the "Urhobo makossa"
now whats "i love you " in Isoko?
wadoo cool
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 5:43pm On Jul 11, 2008
kome i just read somewhere where you wrote abt bringing in guests to Isoko.have you been to Abraka beach? it might not be Isokoish ut methinks its a cool place.anyway,ask Ono,hes the town planning authority boss cheesy
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 7:08pm On Jul 11, 2008
Ifyalways,

You also are fluent in igbo as well Mmmmm, i beg no vex for the sake of nostalgia make my day and post some pictures of Isoko places, so we can see what we are missing.

Isoko waado grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 8:09pm On Jul 13, 2008
Komekn i said ask ono ! he knows better tongue
lol,Isoko pictures indeed BTW does ifeoma sound like ufoma to your ears?
figure it out grin

wadddo smiley
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 3:19pm On Jul 14, 2008
Ifyalways,

Sorry for me Oh, i dont get your meaning lol,Isoko pictures indeed BTW does ifeoma sound like ufoma to your ears?
figure it out

I though i might help Liftdone out on the issue of Uhrobo makossa, that she promised to get you, i found what i think you are talking about on youtube. here's the link,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9skZTUwXUA

Isoko Waado grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 8:40pm On Jul 14, 2008
Komekn my dad is an Igbo man smiley
where is liftedone sef and all those bonafide mgbidi ugbedi boyyyyys lol
thanks for the link,time for a party cheesy what i enjoy most is the beats and the dressing.did anyone else see the singers regalia?the wrapper et all. . . . .i so love it kiss
@all digwo tongue
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 1:28am On Jul 27, 2008
ifyalways:

Komekn my dad is an Igbo man smiley
where is liftedone sef and all those bonafide mgbidi ugbedi boyyyyys lol
thanks for the link,time for a party cheesy what i enjoy most is the beats and the dressing.did anyone else see the singers regalia?the wrapper et all. . . . .i so love it kiss
@all digwo tongue

Ifyalways, LOL. mgbidi, egbedi!
Thanks Kome for bailing me out that one. I'm surprised this thread is still going strong. And where is the originator, Ice Zik?
I love you in Isoko? Let me go and consult my sister's Isoko bible.

Isoko Wadoo!!!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by EfemenaXY: 3:58pm On Oct 03, 2008
Hi all, was just browsing the net for some Isoko stuff and saw this thread - must say it's really cool. I'm from Isoko North LGA (Ozoro). Both my parents are,

Don't really speak the language which is a real pain, but I understand enough to save my skin!!.

Here's my limited vocab,

Ayi = woman
Ozai = man
Ose = father
Oni = mother
Omo / Omomo = Baby
Eri = Fish
Etu = Hat
Ija = firewood (, lol, I think!) cool
Uvi = Paddle
Uko = Canoe
Evbu (pronounced "Ewhu) = Dress
Egho = Cup
Ododo = flower
Ikpi = vest (not sure, )
Afitu (pronounced "afetu" ) = Comb
Ololo = bottle
Evbevbe (pronounced "Ewewe"wink = ladder

hope this helps!! Comments welcome, grin

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 7:30pm On Oct 03, 2008
lol
Evbu . . .always thought its a name undecided
Digwo all
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by elsie2(f): 2:50am On Oct 04, 2008
Isoko Wadooooooooooooooo!
I am partly from Illologbo (hope the spelling is correct?) Not sure if its is Isoko North or South and would like to learn to speak the lang as well,
Abeg keep the thread going, its so interesting.
Wadooooooooooooooo.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by EfemenaXY: 5:29pm On Oct 06, 2008
1st person: Isoko Wado?
Response : A!

1st Person: (Even louder) Isoko Wadoooo!! wink
Response : (Equally louder) AAA!!!! cheesy

1st Person: (Screechenly) Eeeeee?
Response : (Deep Rumbling) Yaaaaaayyyyyyy!!

1st Person: Shegware
Response: OOOHHHhhhhhh,

Guys & Girls, we're yet to break kola on this thread, grin

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 5:55pm On Oct 06, 2008
hehe
where is liftedone and komken?
Kola don land grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 6:21pm On Oct 07, 2008
Efemena xy, Isoko people in many different places wow!!! In all honesty it’s not a surprise you being in London and all that. I was in Woolwich buying some naija food only to discover the owner of the shop is from my village, I am almost certain we have an Isoko forum (kparokpo) in London.
My father at one stage sent me to NDC Ozoro in the hope I would become fluent in Isoko, however, all the guys were more interested in speaking Yoruba to prove they had been to Lagos. So I am quite familiar with Ozoro and my isoko accent very suspicious.
Elsie 2, your village has changed its name to owheluegbo, I am not sure when this happened but I was there in the village 2002 for my Uncles burial.
In any case Waaadooo !!!
Ifyalways , how far I hail oh , how is the cote and de voir ? grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 2:21pm On Oct 11, 2008
wadooooo my brothers and sisters kiss
Liftedone biko/meko do u have starch and banga?am dying for it tongue
Kome,bros i dey kampe grin how your side? i like your parade sha grin
Efemena u be correct babe kiss kiss
Elsie your yarns na correct.
wadoooooo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 11:49pm On Oct 15, 2008
Isoko wadoo.
Ifyalways, how far? I have banga soup but no starch sorry. Is that ok? U still in Naija?
Efemena, the senior ones get to have their kola first. And have you got some 'ogogoro' with that? LOL cool
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ono(m): 12:15am On Nov 14, 2008
Alrite! We're in page 5, the thread is picking up gradually. Ifyalways (please change that name to Ufuoma) I don come back. I was at Owodokpokpo-Igbide some 2 weeks ago for one very important occasion. The road to Iyede, Olomoro, Oleh is still very bad. Uduaghan should please do something about that road.

Obama is President-elect of the US (not news anymore). We Isoko's need to read the significance of that election. Please read the article by Chris Akiri below.
[url]http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article04//indexn2_html?pdate=131108&ptitle=The significance of Obama's victory[/url].

We too can make a difference irrespective of our numbers and position in Nigeria. I believe we're blessed with quite a lot of intellectual people to librate Nigeria from the present shackles of poverty, quagmire and ignorance.

All Isoko folks at home and in the diaspora (including those who can't speak fluently, or can't speak at all) must understand their position in the scheme of things where ever they are. You have to begin to think of how you can contribute to the welfare, growth and progress of the Isoko people in particular and the human race in general

Isoko wa do o o o. Isoko waa je? eeeee, Iyeeeee. Be right back.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by 1ofall(f): 12:38am On Nov 14, 2008
Isoko wado!
Iniovo wado!!
Ishie-gware!!!

Ewhe rhotor! (Kola don land oh!)
Owho no r'ewhe ze, oyeh re h'uzuozo ze. (He who brings kola brings life)
Ma re sie uzuazor?? (do we refuse life?)

Me te re 500naira no ro mo bo "support" ewhe na. ( I 'm supporting the kola with the 500naira in my hands)
Wado!!

(Kola does not stay alone on the plate, it must be supported before being shared.)
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ono(m): 2:49am On Nov 14, 2008
1ofall,
I did not know that you're Isoko too. Great. Do.

Ermm, shie gware!!

Me ro N1000 ro ''wedge'' egware na. Wa do o oo. Uyouyou o to ma are kpobi!

eee, I yeee!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Asogwuvo: 7:22pm On Nov 27, 2008
It nice to see so much brothers and sis
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:56pm On Dec 13, 2008
[size=13pt]Im From Otor Owhe in Isoko land.I Love meeting with Anybody from my fathers land around the world.hit me up here on this network . . . . .

AwO Isoko kpobi wadoooo. . . .!
[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Masquerades At Golibe Festival Onitsha (Photos) / Lady Agreed Married A Dead Man (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.