Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,109 members, 7,814,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You (3466 Views)

Earn More Money On Your Blog By Creating Your Own Products / What's Your Own Website Address? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 6:04am On Feb 20, 2013
so i have had it with nigerian programmers charging 500,000 for a wordpress website, even last time i was on nairaland, some people wanted to form a group to charge higher prices for making websites. time to learn up boys
its not the 1990's again we both know your not coding the whole website must of these programmers use frameworks, which would enable them develop a site within 20 mins but they want to charge higher prices for that.
people you need to do the following and stop relying on Nigerians as they try to take advantage of every situation and always complain about the outcome even if it is their doing.
i would list out the following things you need to do.
firstly if you want a business website simply use www.wix.com or www.weebly.com
these site host it for you, they have very good performance and has been optimised for even mobile viewing. its called a responsive theme. the responsive makes it better for mobile viewers. dont let anyone cheat you and charge you extra for this as they as simply creating it with frameworks which can be done in mins
secondly download wordpress it is not as hard, to use it as you might think. this is more than enough.
http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Lessons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq39O_Rb-pY

i put in there a youtube video too for wordpress

secondly you can download a free template for your site and change it to static you would learn about this in the tutorial to make you it a static website and not a blog

if you would like more you can also get a framework to help you create your own templates

dont let these people cheat you bye for now.

1 Like

Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by Azeola: 7:12am On Feb 20, 2013
u doin gud,keep it up bro
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by ariktar(m): 5:49pm On Feb 20, 2013
Thanks bros but like to meet you. 08135503727.
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 7:59pm On Feb 20, 2013
ariktar: Thanks bros but like to meet you. 08135503727.

hello there, if you have any questions just ask here, as it would also benefit others thanks
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by Sanyiicrown(m): 6:41am On Feb 21, 2013
What of frontpage? How does all this software works?
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by GraphicsPlus(m): 6:49am On Feb 21, 2013
When u ar serious we wil know. It is only babies like u that wil hail and like this unprofessional post. I hope u know, wix.com is also making big money out of ur copy and paste lifestyle.

There is no serious business person that wil go to wix and edit a certain template for his business website.

Do u know that people pay millions for a logo design? Ok, tell them to stop paying and go to certain free logo creator framework and get their logos free.

I can tell u that most web developers out there don't use frameworks or templates. By the way, who developed such frameworks like cake php? It was people that know the code, not wix customers.

If u download a template from wix, what happens when u want to redesign ur website maybe to mark an anniversary, and u want a particular style, color and feel in the website, what wil u do? U wil start searching all the free templates to see the one that fits what u want? Or u hire a professional web developer to give u a customized design? The choice is urs.
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 12:18pm On Feb 21, 2013
GraphicsPlus: When u ar serious we wil know. It is only babies like u that wil hail and like this unprofessional post. I hope u know, wix.com is also making big money out of ur copy and paste lifestyle.

There is no serious business person that wil go to wix and edit a certain template for his business website.

Do u know that people pay millions for a logo design? Ok, tell them to stop paying and go to certain free logo creator framework and get their logos free.

I can tell u that most web developers out there don't use frameworks or templates. By the way, who developed such frameworks like cake php? It was people that know the code, not wix customers.

If u download a template from wix, what happens when u want to redesign ur website maybe to mark an anniversary, and u want a particular style, color and feel in the website, what wil u do? U wil start searching all the free templates to see the one that fits what u want? Or u hire a professional web developer to give u a customized design? The choice is urs.

I was waiting for something like this

Have you not heard of Wordpress design framework check out headway, you simply create your website from scratch by creating grids you would be able to do this and create any website to your own customisation, so I don't see your point your able to design the site any how you want without coding, You can also use templates you like and then resign the template to your own specification with out any code add social buttons, integrate other plugins. The websites are even responsive to mobile design

So please explain your point here because you can create a template from scratch with this framework
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 12:26pm On Feb 21, 2013
myviewr:

I was waiting for something like this

Have you not heard of Wordpress design framework check out headway, you simply create your website from scratch by creating grids you would be able to do this and create any website to your own customisation, so I don't see your point your able to design the site any how you want without coding, You can also use templates you like and then resign the template to your own specification with out any code add social buttons, integrate other plugins. The websites are even responsive to mobile design

So please explain your point here because you can create a template from scratch with this framework

Again this is kind of thinking that make people like you take advantage of most Nigerians you say who created the framework fine it was people who code.
But you don't need to start from scratch to justify charging high prices when you ask a customer and give them a high price. You know they don't know what they are doing snd so they have to reply on you. Sorry to burst your bubble but they don't . A Nigerian. Who has a small business would not get more that 1000 hits a day tell me that Wordpress cannot accommodate that.
Yet you would charge 80,000 for that simple site which could be be done for just 5,000-10,000 and get profit from it

Your only point here is just the logo creation yet it can still be done and changed later with the branding of the business
Don't take advantage of people just because they have no idea how to work a problem
They would find out later and you would destroy your brand
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by GraphicsPlus(m): 1:06pm On Feb 21, 2013
Quite long, but no single point was made. Is it the high price some webmasters charge that is worrying u or u want to challenge some small business owners to learn how to design some simple websites for their business?

A man finished working for a client. he charged him 10,000 naira. The client shouted, 'this thing that took u 20 minutes!' The workman replied, no. The time i spent costs 500 naira. But knowing how to solve the problem costs 9,500 naira.

Dude, NL is not the best place to start ur relovution and campaign. Go and buy airtime on NTA, or buy a page on Vanguard or start a training center that wil train people on how to design websites on their own or tell them never to pay more than 10k to web developers.

Good luck.
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by WebMonk(m): 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2013
I suppose it comes down to how you value/position yourself.

From what I've read, you seem to be talking about very small businesses. On that kind of scale I can leave your argument. That's not the level I'm playing at, and I guess that's fine.

But to suggest that price of 5000-10,000 for anything more than installing an already complete template on a wordpress site is basically saying "whatever time i invested in this is no more that worth 10k" (assuming profit is 10k) Anyone (client or developer) will agree that's cheap for a human being to sit down in Nigeria and work on a project without factoring his knowledge, power supply and internet bills.

Anyone with this mindset will no doubt think that even 80k is broad daylight robbery.

My point:
Anyone has the right to charge what he chooses. In any business you're paying for the application of the business's knowledge in a context that gives you value/profit + overhead. That's where the charging is really, and and be anywhere between 10k and $1,000,000

[size=5pt]Guess he hasn't seen the client that turned him down because he charged 10k....[/size]
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 1:45pm On Feb 21, 2013
the fact is i want people to know there are other options out there
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 2:00pm On Feb 21, 2013
also imagine you are a developer who charges 10,000 for development you get 10 people in a month that is 100,000 you also charge after sales service for maintenance lets say 1,000 a month thats sums up to 10,000 a month
tell me people would not refer you to their friends or even create other sites with you. the is just a (ruff estimate)
from there you can start thinking how your going to expand your business

not charging 100,000 then thinking in one month then thinking to myself yes i have done it then not getting anybody coming back to you in again and wandering what you have done wrong and to be honest i have see most of the site people on nairaland have made. it's honestly not good ( just saying the ones i have see) there is no sense of design. splashing around random colours together. I am just saying what we all know but wont talk about

@web monk
@graphic plus

i want you to go and download twitter bootstrap. it comes with preloaded javascript, html and css.
make a website with that and compare it to the ones you have seen on nairaland.

http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/

that is the link it is as easy as copy and pasting code. and comes with complete documentation i assume you are a developer yourselves, if you are it wont take up to 20 mins for you to understand twitter bootstrap give it a chance and consider what i said above.

waiting for your reply
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by mrkels(m): 2:26pm On Feb 21, 2013
@ Op spot on jare , don't mind them , that's how they are, they charge you 100,000k for a website at the end of the day they would go and install a wordpress theme for you , and when you see how beautiful the thing is you would think they have done something great. I had this friend who hoards knowledge, I told him to teach me some programming but he said I should pay him , I refused, so one day we were eating in my house and my sister said she needed an e commerce site , like an online store for her products in her shop ( she's got a very big designers shop ) . My friend quickly opted in that he could do it for 300,000k. I nearly faint. This made me super angry cos we treated him like family yet he was exploiting us. I did some achiac programming back then in school but its these outdated fortran and paschal (electives) so I said to myself lemme download some dummies e - books and learn these things, I later found a site where things flow free anyhow unlike nairaland so I joined, then within a week I had downloaded drupal, joolma , wordpress and phpbb. And some all those dummies book on them, started reading extensively and found out that wordpress would be so easy so I spent time on that. After like 2weeks I saw the exact theme I wanted to use for her site but there was a clause, the theme was super expensive . I wanted to ask nairalanders here but I have never seen where they share themes here so I went to oter websites, eventually got the theme but those guys installed some bad scripts that makes d websites redirect back to them. Luckily , one spanish girl with the same theme installed on her website said she can give me hers for $8( she paid for multiple license) , told her paypal aint available in my country so she finally gave me free. I installed, , did a alittle work and her site was live in less than a month. What I did was far more beautiful and mobile friendly than what my friend could have done cos he did something similar with php and that him site na childs play. . So instead of the huge amount he requested she ended up paying for just domain name and hosting space. smiley
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 2:39pm On Feb 21, 2013
Sanyiicrown: What of frontpage? How does all this software works?

havent used frontpage before
would give it a look

try headway although you would need to buy the software
this is the demo
http://demo.headwaythemes.com/98Jw34Ak37/wp-admin/admin.php?page=headway-getting-started
simply click ready to jump right in

thats a sample of the wordpress software really easy to use as you move along with headway it give you a tutorial if you still cant understand go to their website http://headwaythemes.com/features/design-editor/
there is a youtube video with a tutorial there
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by GraphicsPlus(m): 3:17pm On Feb 21, 2013
@Webmonkey, the 10,000 naira i cited was for an example. i wanted to point out that what matters isnt the time spent to do a work, but the knowledge and skill involved.

@OP, using frameworks will never help any serious web developer. If u ar okay with editing and modifying templates, good for u. But as for me, I want to know what's going on in the hood. That guy saw a theme he liked, but very expensive. Quite funny. And theme was developed by a certain guy, nt a spirit.

Guy, u ar fighting a battle u cannot win. I want to be able to develop a framework. i want to develop a website where people like u can download hundreds of wordpress themes for free and place some ads in the websites. I want also to develop some premium wordpress themes for some dollars.

I can use wordpress themes for some simple personal blogs. But when I want to do something serious wit features that are nt even on these frameworks, i have to use a language to get it done.

My framework is notepad++.
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by WebMonk(m): 3:17pm On Feb 21, 2013
myviewr: also imagine you are a developer who charges 10,000 for development you get 10 people in a month that is 100,000 you also charge after sales service for maintenance lets say 1,000 a month thats sums up to 10,000 a month
tell me people would not refer you to their friends or even create other sites with you. the is just a (ruff estimate)
from there you can start thinking how your going to expand your business

not charging 100,000 then thinking in one month then thinking to myself yes i have done it then not getting anybody coming back to you in again and wandering what you have done wrong and to be honest i have see most of the site people on nairaland have made. it's honestly not good ( just saying the ones i have see) there is no sense of design. splashing around random colours together. I am just saying what we all know but wont talk about

@web monk
@graphic plus

i want you to go and download twitter bootstrap. it comes with preloaded javascript, html and css.
make a website with that and compare it to the ones you have seen on nairaland.

http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/

that is the link it is as easy as copy and pasting code. and comes with complete documentation i assume you are a developer yourselves, if you are it wont take up to 20 mins for you to understand twitter bootstrap give it a chance and consider what i said above.

waiting for your reply

I'm guessing from your post that your knowledge of bootstrap helps you in your 10 clients x 10k business logic. If it does, Kudos. That's being efficient. As for your business logic, you have something that brings in 10k every month (EDIT: or whatever low amount you charge). And that, as far as your business goes, is the value of your time. I value myself far more and think of bigger things. And if that means a client can't afford my services, that's perfectly okay.

That's really the gist of it, I'm afraid.

1 Like

Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by WebMonk(m): 3:25pm On Feb 21, 2013
@GraphicsPlus, true. Skill and Knowledge are vital. I was quoting him though
myviewr:
Yet you would charge 80,000 for that simple site which could be be done for just 5,000-10,000 and get profit from it
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 3:31pm On Feb 21, 2013
GraphicsPlus: @Webmonkey, the 10,000 naira i cited was for an example. i wanted to point out that what matters isnt the time spent to do a work, but the knowledge and skill involved.

@OP, using frameworks will never help any serious web developer. If u ar okay with editing and modifying templates, good for u. But as for me, I want to know what's going on in the hood. That guy saw a theme he liked, but very expensive. Quite funny. And theme was developed by a certain guy, nt a spirit.

Guy, u ar fighting a battle u cannot win. I want to be able to develop a framework. i want to develop a website where people like u can download hundreds of wordpress themes for free and place some ads in the websites. I want also to develop some premium wordpress themes for some dollars.

I can use wordpress themes for some simple personal blogs. But when I want to do something serious wit features that are nt even on these frameworks, i have to use a language to get it done.

My framework is notepad++.

lol. i like this
the whole point is what are you trying to achieve. if you are building websites for your clients we both know you really need notepad++
when you say you want to be able to develop a framework thats when you can use your notepad++ for that kind of project

for example you want to build an ecommerce website why not just use magento to speed up development time it has great features which would be more than enough for your customer
than taking six months to develop it then if the customer doesn't like it, you are going to spend alot of time changing things in it, thats not logical, you have nothing to prove to the customer they just want the site done and you want to just provide great service and get your money. lol hope you know delivery the site early too would be great service

unless you say to your self i want to create next software that would revolutionise the world now you can say notepad++
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 3:42pm On Feb 21, 2013
WebMonk:

I'm guessing from your post that your knowledge of bootstrap helps you in your 10 clients x 10k business logic. If it does, Kudos. That's being efficient. As for your business logic, you have something that brings in 10k every month (EDIT: or whatever low amount you charge). And that, as far as your business goes, is the value of your time. I value myself far more and think of bigger things. And if that means a client can't afford my services, that's perfectly okay.

That's really the gist of it, I'm afraid.

lol webmonk i really hope you start a company from this.

you are putting your self above your customer humble yourself your not to be for 10,000 no one is

start a buisness own 100% equity
you do this have 10 customers you add on thats 200,000 plus 10,000 every month
you bring in 4 other employees but you pay the with equity and let them be part of your business to help it grow
that 5 people each now own 20% equity
imagine the 5 people bring additional 50 people thats 500,000 plus 50,000 every month
thats a viable business
you can now start branching out getting bigger contracts
or you could even start web hostting
remember you have 50 customers who are so pleased with you already, the fact is you can now test out new ways of making profit or even expanding because you have 50 loyal customers who knows they are not going to get this service anywhere
always remember your customer is KING you are not doing them a favour
they are doing you a favour
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by WebMonk(m): 4:35pm On Feb 21, 2013
myviewr:
you are putting your self above your customer humble yourself your not to be for 10,000 no one is

I respectfully disagree. if you're not too big for 10k, that's okay. As I said, I value myself far more no matter the circumstance. That means we're targeting different customers.

myviewr:
start a buisness own 100% equity
you do this have 10 customers you add on thats 200,000 plus 10,000 every month
you bring in 4 other employees but you pay the with equity and let them be part of your business to help it grow
that 5 people each now own 20% equity
imagine the 5 people bring additional 50 people thats 500,000 plus 50,000 every month
thats a viable business
you can now start branching out getting bigger contracts
or you could even start web hostting
remember you have 50 customers who are so pleased with you already, the fact is you can now test out new ways of making profit or even expanding because you have 50 loyal customers who knows they are not going to get this service anywhere
always remember your customer is KING you are not doing them a favour.
they are doing you a favour

Sounds good on paper excluding overhead/running costs/referral system or marketers. But if it works for you, that's okay.
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by GraphicsPlus(m): 6:29pm On Feb 21, 2013
I dont have problem using frameworks. In fact, it is good to use it when deadline is knocking on ur door. BUT I can't charge anyhow as u ar campaigning just because I used framework. Let every businessman in Nigeria learn how to use wordpress themes, I cannot develop a website for a peanut simply because it wil bring in other peanuts. If 10k is good for u, no issues. The last website (just static) I did was 60k. I can't go below that. 10k for 1yr domain name and hosting, 50k for myself.

As for u, there are chances that u wil get 10 clients a month multiplied by 10k, that's 100k for u.

But there are also chances for me to get 5 clients in a month multiplied by 60k, that's 300k for me.

Good luck.
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by Leopantro: 9:51pm On Feb 21, 2013
forgive me but i don't understand why someone should create a website for me with that amount and my creating one on squarespace
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 10:16pm On Feb 21, 2013
Leopantro: forgive me but i don't understand why someone should create a website for me with that amount and my creating one on squarespace

most people dont know thats why they pay so much, if not because of you i wouldn't know about square space. this is why i created this is the exact reason why i created this thread
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by ace1(m): 11:35pm On Feb 21, 2013
This issue has been debated different times on this forum. Like the rapper MI said, "We have different goals so we ball different".

Time is what you can neva get back after spending it so its very precious. So if for example I decide to charge 100,000 for working on a 5mins project with you, call it outrageous or cheating, buh that's how much I value my time and intellectual property

1 Like

Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by funkymedina: 12:20am On Feb 22, 2013
I love this thread, they nearly ate my head off cause they wanted to form a union and ban people from creating sites for 10k or some rubbish... Who was the model that said she wont get out of bed for any job less than $10k? Famous last words!!

Nigerians shold stop being lazy and scared of webdesign like its some magic stuff with codes, its no big deal anymore. But using nairaland as a sample of nigerians; they cant read a post that is more than two paragraphs and keep asking people to summarize for them cause they are intellectually lazy, I say the web design guys should keep cheating them. You cant help people who dont want to help themselves.

With all the info and links/video you put in ur first post, someones response is to drop his phone number, I am sure he didnt go thru the links you put there. Didnt do any research .I tire! shocked But hopefully one or two people will gain something from this and find out they can do stuff for themselves.
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by GraphicsPlus(m): 5:30am On Feb 22, 2013
@Funky medina, if web design is no longer a big deal, what profession is a big deal? Is it medicine?

I can only tell u that web design and development is more than what u think. It's more than doing drag and drop or copy and paste thing.

Go on and be charging 10k, nobody cares. But for u to say that others should trivialize web design is not reasonable and should not be accepted.

I hope u know any person can take some free video tutorials online on 3d animation, so that animator will stop charging huge amount.

Let every businessman learn photoshop and illustrator so they can create their own logos and stop paying hundreds of dollars for logo design and branding.

When u grow up, u will understand.

1 Like

Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 6:26am On Feb 22, 2013
GraphicsPlus: @Funky medina, if web design is no longer a big deal, what profession is a big deal? Is it medicine?

I can only tell u that web design and development is more than what u think. It's more than doing drag and drop or copy and paste thing.

Go on and be charging 10k, nobody cares. But for u to say that others should trivialize web design is not reasonable and should not be accepted.

I hope u know any person can take some free video tutorials online on 3d animation, so that animator will stop charging huge amount.

Let every businessman learn photoshop and illustrator so they can create their own logos and stop paying hundreds of dollars for logo design and branding.

When u grow up, u will understand.

you dont seem to understand when you create a brand image or logo it should not just be about combining pictures it should also have meaning to it. programming is just a tool the problem is that everyone thins they know it all you think just because you can use photoshop you can create a proper brand logo.
innovate or get left behind its 2013
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by GraphicsPlus(m): 8:31am On Feb 22, 2013
Not everyone that knows photoshop and illustrator that can design a corporate logo.

BUT u CANNOT design a meaningful logo without the knowledge of at least illustrator.

Learn the skills or u risk been overlooked. This is 2013!
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by solid3(m): 8:39am On Feb 22, 2013
@OP you are not worth arguing with. You are too cheap and lowley.

Best of luck. Wish you God speed.
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by GraphicsPlus(m): 10:10am On Feb 22, 2013
@Solid, maybe he tried learning how to code website but was nt making a headway, so resorted to drag and drop thing and now thinks web design is that cheap.

Maybe he should go and study drag and drop kind of surgery, so that none of his relations will ever pay surgeons huge amount of money for a surgery that lasted only an hour.

My premium and free wordpress themes website will be ready soon, so that he wil start downloading or buying themes there.

*scratching my head*
Re: Creating Your Own Website And Not Letting People Cheat You by myviewr: 12:53pm On Feb 22, 2013
@graphic plus what ever you say g not here to argue with you guys sha who ever needs that info its right there

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Buy PAYONEER Pound£, Euro€ & Dollar$ / American Bank Bin Database Needed / Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.