Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science (3479 Views)

Make Your Money At Home Using Your Phone Or Computer / I'll Pay U 25 Kobo/Webpage For Each Webpage That U Save 2 UR Phone Or Computer / CAPTCHA - Are You Human Or Computer? (2) (3) (4)

Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by peddylinko(m): 10:31pm On Nov 01, 2010
I have finished my secondary school education for 3 years now

I have been sitting for jamb exam to study medicine and surgery which i truly wanted to study after school, but i have not been able to gain admission to study it, i pass the exam but i was told they need 5000 students only to keep on trying.

For this past years i have great interest in computer science, web design, programming e.t.c after myprov, linkobay and the others

I have decided to fill computer science next year as my course of study instead of medicine

I'm i making a wrong choice?

Please advice me @all
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by dyn: 10:54pm On Nov 01, 2010
medicine and surgery is what i will recommend - if you have the strength for it - you can double your way back to computer science.
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Slyr0x: 11:29pm On Nov 01, 2010
dyn:

medicine and surgery is what i will recommend - if you have the strength for it - you can double your way back to computer science.

LMAOASMD(Laffing My A.ss Out And Scattering My Dada).

'Cos Studying Computer Science na beans abi?

@OP, Its all about interest bro, you can't just come on NL and ask pple to choose your career for you.

For the Comp. Sci. aspect, iStudied Computer Science and iCan boldly say 'Its not a course you will want to study in 9ja'. One WORD for it--> Frustating. Pls note, you WON'T be studying Web Development, Web Design, NetWorking(iMean from the N to the G), nothing bout Security etc. . . All you'll be doing is 'Cramming things not seen', cramming things you dont have the slightest idea about how they work.

If your reason for wanting to study Comp. sci. is 'coz u wanna learn Programming et al, den dnt boda.

Buh like iSaid earlier, iTz ur future bro. U dnt allow ppl decide for you.
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by dyn: 12:09am On Nov 02, 2010
just kidding, we all know that medicine is not so eazy mehn. bt no big deal sha. you can learn computer stuffs easily online. Afteral, i studied medicine and surgery, but it takes a very good computer scientist to dust me in coding sha - whether softwares or web coding (that has been tried several times)

Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by mailtimi(m): 2:02am On Nov 02, 2010
wuld advice u go for MED. Computer science in nigerian universities is anoyin. Only better in private universities. While studyin MED you cn always take computer classes(self-tutor or computer schools). U only get to do maths if u go to a fedral or state university
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Youngichou(m): 5:13am On Nov 02, 2010
@POSTER Slyrox is right
beside as he said you will be cramming things. I will agree to this because i have heard it from 3people now who told me that they were still taught Fortan at UNIVERSITY of Illorin.
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by dyn: 6:19am On Nov 02, 2010
How many Nigerian university graduates can code properly in new generation languages and develop proper websites (based on what they were taught in school?). I have trained many of them in coding. I just finished training some sets of vb.net and oracle not too long ago, and it has always been like that - i dont know what they teach them in school - but except for those that develop themselves - in IT technology - the schools are light-years behind. I do know for a fact that some naija schools still teach Qbasic (as in Quick Beginners All Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) as well as assembly, pascal and fortran.
Mind you, it is not like i did not learn those languages too out of curiosity - but they are useless. If they start with something like c/c++/java it would ave been better because the world has upgraded to OOP - so all them old school langs are no longer valid.
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Youngichou(m): 7:15am On Nov 02, 2010
dyn:

ave been better because the world has upgraded to OOP - so all them old school langs are no longer valid.
you wicked O
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Nobody: 8:16am On Nov 02, 2010
Better you go with what u are interested in like i for instance wanted to study computer science but ending studying bus admin
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by dyn: 9:23am On Nov 02, 2010
Youngichou:

you wicked O
i am only being blunt - no mind me - IMHO, those departments should be deleted with SHIFT+Delete so them no go land
inside recycle bin, and replaced with more cutting-edge-aware professionals so that we can give our IT industry a boost!

i have done some applications before that some clients believed is not possible for a Nigerian to do - all because them don
give us bad names say we no get plenty good programmers for our country

pc guru:

Better you go with what u are interested in like i for instance wanted to study computer science but ending studying bus admin
If your heart truly is in computer science, go and study it, and be the best you can - it was never easy for me at all doing medicine
and being a programmer at the same time - but it was loads of fun sha - meanwhile, if i have studied only komputa science, life
i think would ave been more boring. . .
Just my view. . . .but that having been said, the 2 courses are quite challenging. Many times, i have met desperate komputer science
students who want me to teach them at least one new generation lang so that when they finish, they can at least say the know some
programming, while many of them go into networking because them no fit write code - and it never ceases to amaze me because i thougt
if you studied komputa science, the least you can do is write codes and programs in some languages even if you do not plan to be a
programmer or system analyst. . . .
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by peddylinko(m): 11:44am On Nov 02, 2010
thanks @all
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Afam4eva(m): 12:20pm On Nov 02, 2010
In hate the though of anything medicine. I'll advice you to go for computer science simply because i'm a computer person myself. If you're going to study it in a Nigerian university then it's better you learn how to make KUNU instead. If you're very keen on doing programming programming and stuff then go to IT schools like APTECH, NIIT, New Horizon etc.
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Slyr0x: 12:41pm On Nov 02, 2010
afam4eva:

In hate the though of anything medicine. I'll advice you to go for computer science simply because i'm a computer person myself. If you're going to study it in a Nigerian university then it's better you learn how to make KUNU instead. [b]If you're very keen on doing programming programming and stuff then go to IT schools like APTECH, NIIT, New Horizon [/b]etc.

You guys are 4getting the fact that there is a B.Sc. attached to studying comp. sci.
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by dyn: 2:10pm On Nov 02, 2010
Slyr0x:

You guys are 4getting the fact that there is a B.Sc. attached to studying comp. sci.
And also forgetting the fact that M.B.B.S no be beans
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Slyr0x: 3:32pm On Nov 02, 2010
Slyr0x:

+

dyn:

And also forgetting the fact that M.B.B.S no be beans

= +1. Agreed.!
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by dyn: 5:10pm On Nov 02, 2010
it is +2 actually (mb is one, bs=2) - no biggie
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Youngichou(m): 11:42pm On Nov 02, 2010
^^lol
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by dyn: 1:26am On Nov 03, 2010
shattap yer maut dia!
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Youngichou(m): 5:17am On Nov 03, 2010
^^ y always saying Shatap
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by dyn: 8:37am On Nov 03, 2010
sharrrap yer maut dia before i sound yer face!
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Youngichou(m): 8:56am On Nov 03, 2010
^^ na wao o!
Re: Medicine And Surgery Or Computer Science by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 05, 2010
It appears that i missed alot of action here

5 Ways To Attract More Clients To Your Website/blog With Content Marketing / Tutorials On How To Use Phpmyadmin In Your Website Cpanel / 5 2go Tricks You Must Know