Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,068 members, 7,956,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:44 AM

Agriculture Thread - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agriculture Thread (10788 Views)

Youth Employment In Agriculture Programme (YEAP) / How I Became Very Comfortable Investing Into Agriculture within 4months!! / Of Crude Oil And Agriculture: Contribution to GDP is not the issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agriculture Thread by Olastep1(m): 12:33pm On Feb 20, 2013
Good day,

This thread is opened for agricultural students/professionals/aspirants/free-lancer who shall have the opportunity to discuss on the dwinling trend of Agriculture in Nigeria and the paths to being a successful Agricultural scientist (Animal Sciences, Crop Sciences, Agric Extension n Econs, Poultry farming and so on).

You're free to express yourself on anything bordering your mind on Agriculture.

And if you really want to know what it takes to Study Agriculture or related courses, ask questions or provide answers.

Dont derail the thread pls.

Lets go..........

2 Likes

Re: Agriculture Thread by Olastep1(m): 12:49pm On Feb 20, 2013
Agriculture , also called farming or husbandry , is the cultivation of animals, plants, fungi, and other life forms for food, fiber, biofuel and other products used to sustain human life.
Agriculture was the key development in the rise of sedentary human civilization, whereby farming of domesticated species created food surpluses that nurtured the development of civilization.
The study of agriculture is known as agricultural science.
Agriculture generally speaking refers to human activities, although it is also observed in certain species of ant and termite.
The word agriculture is the English adaptation of Latin agricultūra , from ager, "a field, and cultūra, "cultivation" in the strict sense of "tillage of the soil". Thus, a literal reading of the word yields "tillage of fields".
The history of agriculture dates back thousands of years, and its development has been driven and defined by greatly different climates, cultures, and technologies. However, all farming generall yrelies on techniques to expand and maintain the lands that are suitable for raising domesticated species. For plants, this usually requires some form of irrigation, although there are methods of dryland farming ; pastoral herding on rangeland is still the most common means of raising livestock. In the developed world, industrial agriculture based on large-scale monoculture has become the dominant system of modern farming, although there is growing support for sustainable agriculture (e.g. permaculture or organic agriculture ).
Until the Industrial Revolution, the vast majority of the human population labored in agriculture. Pre-industrial agriculture was typically subsistence agriculture in which farmers raised most of their crops for their own consumption instead of for trade. A remarkable shift in agricultural practices has occurred over the past century in response to new technologies, and the development of world markets.This also led to technological improvements in agricultural techniques, such as the Haber-Bosch method for synthesizing ammonium nitrate which made the traditional practice of recycling nutrients with crop rotation and animal manure less necessary.
Modern agronomy , plant breeding , pesticides and fertilizers, and technological improvements have sharply increased yields from cultivation, but at the same time have caused widespread ecological damage and negative human health effects. Selective breeding and modern practices in animal husbandry such as intensive pig farming have similarly increased the output of meat, but have raised concerns about animal cruelty and the health effects of the antibiotics, growth hormones, and other chemicals commonly used in industrial meat production.
The major agricultural products can be broadly grouped into foods, fibers , fuels , and raw materials . In the 21st century, plants have been used to grow biofuels, biopharmaceuticals , bioplastics, and pharmaceuticals. Specific foods include cereals, vegetables, fruits, and meat. Fibers include cotton, wool, hemp, silk and flax. Raw materials include lumber and bamboo. Other useful materials are produced by plants, such as resins. Biofuels include methane from biomass, ethanol, and biodiesel. Cut flowers , nursery plants, tropical fish and birds for the pet trade are some of the ornamental products. Regarding food production, the World Bank targets agricultural food production and water management as an increasingly global issue that is fostering an important and growing debate.

4 Likes

Re: Agriculture Thread by kristana(f): 4:05pm On Feb 20, 2013
wat course are u studying?
Re: Agriculture Thread by iamswizz(m): 9:35pm On Feb 20, 2013
nice thread! Forestry and wildlife management aspirant
Re: Agriculture Thread by Olastep1(m): 7:09pm On Feb 22, 2013
kristana: wat course are u studying?
animal sciences
Re: Agriculture Thread by Olastep1(m): 7:22pm On Feb 22, 2013
iamswizz: nice thread! Forestry and wildlife management aspirant
wow

what institution are u aspiring?
Re: Agriculture Thread by Austinobisnr(m): 7:30pm On Feb 22, 2013
i love agriculture and like pple who have passion for it. Though am a student of economics. Av been into agric biz right from my days in sec. School. My sec. school had a fish pond and a poultry farm, which i was placed in charged of in SS1, most of d pple d@ were in charge b4 me were in SS3 b4 dey took charge, but i got to d@ post due to d passion i had 4agriculture. D story dsnt end there, b4 i got admitted in2 d university, i worked in a large poultry farm and i gathered lots of xperience, now as a first year student i have my own fish pond @home and a mini poultry. I have a vision and i knw God will guide me through

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Thread by Olastep1(m): 10:47am On Feb 23, 2013
Austinobisnr: i love agriculture and like pple who have passion for it. Though am a student of economics. Av been into agric biz right from my days in sec. School. My sec. school had a fish pond and a poultry farm, which i was placed in charged of in SS1, most of d pple d@ were in charge b4 me were in SS3 b4 dey took charge, but i got to d@ post due to d passion i had 4agriculture. D story dsnt end there, b4 i got admitted in2 d university, i worked in a large poultry farm and i gathered lots of xperience, now as a first year student i have my own fish pond @home and a mini poultry. I have a vision and i knw God will guide me through

wow....

Thats great. I had d same passion as urs. My long time dream is to be an Animal scientist. I just love animals. I have d basic experience too since i was stil a toddler. And thank God, i'm already on my path to achieve the goals. Infact, i stuck to it whenever i was registering for Jamb. I choose only Animal Sciences. Just my passion. Thank God, i'm already on the path to being an Animal scientist in the university.
Re: Agriculture Thread by Olastep1(m): 10:56am On Feb 23, 2013
We should tell the world that Agriculture is no more second-hand. We cant be relegated to the back. We're much more important than Medicine, Engineering, etc.

No farmer, No Nation

Infact, the West are pretty much in Agriculture though its mechanised.

The Nigerian government should pay much attention to Agriculture than just paying lip service.

Agriculture is the backbone of any society.

Starve Agriculture and you'll see a dying populace.

Lets be proud to be an Agriculturist no matter our field like Crop Sciences, Extention Services, Animal Sciences, Agric Engineering, etc.

We're all one

3 Likes

Re: Agriculture Thread by misslaw(f): 11:36am On Feb 23, 2013
wow am nt missing dis....nd nice1 ola
Re: Agriculture Thread by Olastep(m): 6:04pm On Feb 23, 2013
miss law: wow am nt missing dis....nd nice1 ola
thanks. What do u have for us too?
Re: Agriculture Thread by adesina1991(m): 9:35pm On Feb 23, 2013
@OP,hve been following ur posts since d day u started it,bt my first username was blocked.i luv this ur thread cus am also an agricite at unilorin.Agriculture is d heart of d nation,dats d fact cus if there is no food,human cant survive,if u nid anyting partaining 2 agriculture,am available.AMA AGRO!!!!
Re: Agriculture Thread by misslaw(f): 3:06pm On Feb 25, 2013
At first i was nvr intrstd in agriculture...it all hapnd so fast,i tink it was wen i watch a movie on farming dat d intrst dvlop.The funniest part am alwys avoidn agriculture bt it alwys catchn up wit me.Dat was wen o said to my self...
Latifat you blng here,nd am gonna prve dat
Re: Agriculture Thread by kristana(f): 9:49pm On Feb 25, 2013
Gud job olastep! I love agriculture too so v.much. .wen i was little. .i and my sis usd to kip snails. .later we movd to birds then rabbit. .dad later bought us small chicks 'n' turkeys. .and then a pet dog. .i rili love animals. .we've reared diff kinds of animals in house. .even goat. .lmao. .itz rili fun.
Re: Agriculture Thread by Olastep(m): 4:12pm On Feb 26, 2013
adesina1991: @OP,hve been following ur posts since d day u started it,bt my first username was blocked.i luv this ur thread cus am also an agricite at unilorin.Agriculture is d heart of d nation,dats d fact cus if there is no food,human cant survive,if u nid anyting partaining 2 agriculture,am available.AMA AGRO!!!!
wow

dats wonderful.
Its great to meet fellow agricites like u.
Pls, kindly update us one of ur experiences
Re: Agriculture Thread by Olastep(m): 4:15pm On Feb 26, 2013
miss law: At first i was nvr intrstd in agriculture...it all hapnd so fast,i tink it was wen i watch a movie on farming dat d intrst dvlop.The funniest part am alwys avoidn agriculture bt it alwys catchn up wit me.Dat was wen o said to my self...
Latifat you blng here,nd am gonna prve dat
and u must prove it, sis.

Its good 2 see students taking up Agriculture or its related courses, without being forced into it. Yea.

Agric is for all
Re: Agriculture Thread by Olastep(m): 4:26pm On Feb 26, 2013
kristana: Gud job olastep! I love agriculture too so v.much. .wen i was little. .i and my sis usd to kip snails. .later we movd to birds then rabbit. .dad later bought us small chicks 'n' turkeys. .and then a pet dog. .i rili love animals. .we've reared diff kinds of animals in house. .even goat. .lmao. .itz rili fun.
@kristana. Thats lovely. It shows u've been so much exposed 2 Animals. Thats great girl.

But why dont u follow it up in d University? Or u just prefer it being an activity?
Re: Agriculture Thread by Lateef9961(m): 9:07am On Feb 28, 2013
I love agric sciençe 2.i even have it in mind 2 study animal science wen i was in primary 5,bt i changed my mind wen i got 2 sss3 to go and study veterinary medicine. I applied abu zaria last and vet med as my course,i passd d exam bt i was nt given admisn. In a nut shel i love every tin dat dils wit d study of animal.
Re: Agriculture Thread by Sicozone(m): 9:08am On Feb 28, 2013
Finally the best thread on NL......

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Thread by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 28, 2013
. .
Re: Agriculture Thread by Nwogbe: 9:19am On Feb 28, 2013
Nice thread. Will be sticking around.
Re: Agriculture Thread by Fedric(m): 9:20am On Feb 28, 2013
Friends am so sorry for commenting on this thread.please i am totally confuse about my education and i don't want to waste my education for this year. Friends i am an aspirant of Uniben. Medicine and surgery, i registered Jamb. But the main problem is that my Chemistry in Neco was D7, Biology C5, Physics C5, Maths C4, English C4. My waec was not good at all so i intend to register Waec gce this year. But on sunday i met a student of Uniben who told me that if my olevel is not complete,that it is going to affect me during clearance also that Neco will be good if i could register it. But i already had my neco in which i failed chemistry. I am totally comfused and i don't what to waste this opportunity.please advice me on what to do. My hope and admission is in ur hand please friends
Re: Agriculture Thread by nairaarea: 9:25am On Feb 28, 2013
How To Grow A Pineapple

Pineapple is one of the world's most unique and exotic tropical fruits, yet it is possible to grow it in a temperate zone under controlled conditions; with the most difficult part of the process just getting it rooted. Although you may not be able to grow as large a plant as is grown on a plantation in Hawaii, the following information should enable you to grow a healthy, attractive pineapple for your home. And it makes a fun family project for the kids!
Here is some interesting trivia about your pineapple. The pineapple is a member of the bromeliad family. As such it is related to Spanish moss and some interesting ornamental plants sold in many nurseries. These ornamentals are interesting in that they absorb water and nutrients from a water-tight reservoir formed where the leaves come together, or by interesting absorptive hairs which cover the Spanish moss and similar bromeliads, allowing them to draw water and nutrients from the fog and dust in the air. The pineapple, however, uses its roots like houseplants with which you are familiar and should be easy to grow if you treat it like a normal houseplant that needs bright light.

STEP ONE - Obtain a Pineapple
From the local grocery store, choose a mature pineapple that has healthy, firm, green leaves (not yellow or brown) and with a fruit skin that is golden brown (not too green). Actually, I'd recommend growing two pineapples in the not unlikely event that one of them dies. At the very least you can pick the healthiest of the two plants to nurture to full growth. Also, if you find you have more pineapple than you can eat, just chop it up and freeze it. It tastes great!
Inspect the base of the leaves for small grayish spots which are scale insects. If these are found, the crown should be discarded and one selected which is free of these insects. Try to find one that is ripe but not overripe. Test for ripeness by gently pulling on a leaf. If it pops out with ease, the fruit is overripe.
STEP TWO - Prepare the Crown
Grab hold of the entire top set of leaves. Twist hard and it will come out with a bit of stalk. (If you cut the top off you will need to remove all of the excess fruit flesh, otherwise it will only rot and may kill the whole plant). Any adhering flesh should be trimmed off its base to prevent rotting after planting. After trimming, carefully slice small, horizontal sections from the bottom of the crown until you see root buds that appear as small dots or circles on the flat, cut surface (see picture). Remove as little tissue as possible to avoid cutting into young stem tissue.
Next, strip off some of the lower leaves, exposing up to about an inch of the base of the crown (the stalk will root but the leaves will rot - see photo). They will come off in sort of a spiral fashion. The idea is to bare the stalk. The small brown-colored bumps below the leaf scars are root primordia (baby roots waiting to grow) and there may even be a few short roots at the base of the crown (the picture at right shows a crown with a lot of roots). Though these won't be the roots that will grow in the next step, try not to damage these.
After trimming and stripping, let the crown dry out for a couple days before going to the next step. This will permit the cut end and the leaf scars to heal and prevent rot.
STEP THREE – Root the Crown
There are various ways to do this, but I have found after trying several methods, that the simplest is the most effective. Place the crown in a clear glass of water and change out the water every few days. Place the crown away from any temperature extremes (heating or cooling vents/hot south-facing windows). On top of the refrigerator will work. In three weeks you'll see healthy root growth as illustrated in the pictures at right. You're now ready to plant the crown. As an aside, I've been told that if you use a dark colored glass, like a red plastic cup for example, you'll get better rooting. However I haven't tried this myself. You might want to try a clear glass as well as a dark glass, and let me know your results.

STEP FOUR – Plant the Crown
Once roots appear, plant the pineapple in a fast draining potting soil such as a Bromeliad or Cactus Potting Soil mixed with a third perlite. An eight-inch porous clay pot with bottom drainage is ideal. Layer about two inches of stones in the bottom of the pot prior to putting in the soil/perlite mix. The picture to the left illustrates the materials needed (the two pottery shards in the front are to put over the drainage holes; these came from an extra clay saucer that I broke up).
The first step is to cover the drainage hole with the pottery shard. Second, put in a layer of stones followed by the soil and perlite mix. Finally, plant the crown and water it thoroughly prior to placing it in a window or some other sunny place. You can see the sequence in the pictures to the right (the inner leaves of the pineapple on the left are easily pulled out which doesn't bode well for the plant. Only time will tell which is a good example of why it's good to root two plants in case one dies).
In terms of watering, the soil should always be slightly moist; not wet (which will promote rot) and not dry. It will take six to eight weeks for the stalk to really start sending out strong roots. Do not rush this process or fertilize at this point.
After about two months, the pineapple should be supporting itself as a new plant. Gently tug on the plant to see if new roots have formed. If they are present, they will resist your tug. If absent, the top of the pineapple will pull from the soil revealing the absence of new roots. If there are no new roots, replace the pineapple top in the soil and wait longer. If the base looks like it is rotting, start again with a new pineapple top, root it again as above and then use fresh potting soil. Repeat the process, but be sure not to over water.
At this point you should notice that the original leaves of the pineapple will begin to die and turn brown, with new leaves beginning to grow at the center. Over the course of the following year, remove the original leaves as they die. During this time the pineapple should be watered no more than once a week.
If roots have developed with the new leaf growth, it is a sign that things are going well.
After one full year of growth, repot the plant.
Below you can see these two plants one year later. Three lessons I've learned: 1) don't give up on your plant even when things are looking grim (the pictures on the right are of one of the plants that had rotted in the center; you can see two brand new sprouts that formed along side the original plant.)
I was about to toss it when I noticed the first sprout). 2) my plants rooted indoors, however real growth didn't begin until I took them outside in the spring. With the next growing season they'll be repotted as instructed below. 3) grow two crowns as one will likely not be as strong as the other. Then you can repot the healthier one. You may also notice that I clipped the tips off of the plants as I think I left them outside too long, and the cold turned their tips brown.

STEP FIVE – Repot the Crown
Repot the pineapple in a twelve-inch porous clay pot with a well-draining potting soil such as a cactus potting soil. See the photos below of my 2 pineapple plants after their 2nd repotting. Be sure there is good drainage since pineapples do not like 'wet feet'. Provide drainage by placing a curved piece of broken pot over the hole in the bottom of the pot. Over this, add about a half an inch of coarse gravel or small stones, and then add your soil up to an inch from the top, patting down the soil gently to firm it up.
Tamp the soil firmly around the base of the crown at planting. Avoid getting soil into the central leaves of the crown.
Rot is commonly caused by over watering or the soil not draining properly. The plant should only stop growing during the winter months. It will put out new growth all during the early spring and summer well into fall. If the plant stops growing during its growing season, take the plant out of the pot and examine the root structure carefully. They should be firm and solid. If necessary, wash off the old potting mix and repot into fresh mix.
As the pineapple continues to grow, you may need to repot it into an even larger pot if it gets root-bound.
Re: Agriculture Thread by mikolo80: 9:27am On Feb 28, 2013
ALL AGRI LOVERS SHUD FORM COOPERATIVE AND INVEST IN MODERN AGRIC INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR GOVT.IMAGINE 1MILLION YOUTHS CONTRIBUTING 1K PER MONTH = 1BILLION PER MONTH = VERY LARGE SCALE MECHANIZED FARMING WITHOUT ANY STUPID GOVT.
Re: Agriculture Thread by harlos: 9:28am On Feb 28, 2013
I also have passion for agriculture though I'm studying business admin, I think my love for animal makes me interested, now i'm planning in rearing of animals maybe i start from chickens, I have a two cages ready to start with little but I need someone that Will help with little guidance.
Re: Agriculture Thread by Bsmartt(m): 9:31am On Feb 28, 2013
everybody knows that agriculture is the backbone of any nation bcoz of its direct or indirect influence of health economy power and even education. lets start with small agricultural activities in our various homes.that will help strengthen food security in nigeria.
Re: Agriculture Thread by oluchelkzy01(m): 9:39am On Feb 28, 2013
Weldone, i am studying agric education n want to become a profesional n renewd educationis. What are d stepz to dis goal. Agric science educationist
Re: Agriculture Thread by HIROSHI: 9:39am On Feb 28, 2013
Fedric: Friends am so sorry for commenting on this thread.please i am totally confuse about my education and i don't want to waste my education for this year. Friends i am an aspirant of Uniben. Medicine and surgery, i registered Jamb. But the main problem is that my Chemistry in Neco was D7, Biology C5, Physics C5, Maths C4, English C4. My waec was not good at all so i intend to register Waec gce this year. But on sunday i met a student of Uniben who told me that if my olevel is not complete,that it is going to affect me during clearance also that Neco will be good if i could register it. But i already had my neco in which i failed chemistry. I am totally comfused and i don't what to waste this opportunity.please advice me on what to do. My hope and admission is in ur hand please friends

The Uniben student you met advised you well. If your papers are not complete you have 2 options:

1) If you still want to pursue a degree in Medicine and Surgery, then rewrite your exams and make all the necessary prerequisites (Phy, Chem, Bio, Math, Eng + JAMB + Post JAMB etc). If you do otherwise by taking a short cut you would eventually be expelled at the end. This would bring you both shame and waste of time and money.

2) If you do not want to waste your time rewriting the sch cert exams and want to be in the University this year, then you may seek other courses that do not require credit in Chem - provided you have five other relevant credits for the course you seek. This may include engineering/technology courses, single honours sciences like Mathematics, Physics or Computer Science. You may also apply for Geography or Urban and Regional Planning etc. Your choices would be more robust if you have a credit in one or two of the following: Technical Drawing, Geography and Further Mathematics.

The choice is yours to make. All the best.
Re: Agriculture Thread by pweetyface(f): 9:44am On Feb 28, 2013
Nice thread....am a̜̣̍ student of animal science...agriculture is vry interesting nd fun....at 1st,wasn't my choice course,but I dnt regret it now
Re: Agriculture Thread by Ozonna(m): 9:48am On Feb 28, 2013
Agriculture is big business. I read somwhere that an averaGe Nigerian consumes about 600naira worth of food daily. Calculate 600 * 160m = 9.6bn naira per day. You guys can see that if this figure is true then Agric biz is super profitable.

But Ϯh℮ problem is that crop farmers (primary producers)make little or no money. The transporters,middlemen,food processors,etc make a heLl of profit.
This is what's discouraging most young people from farming.

Can the experienced farmers/agric specialists tell us how to make profit as primary producers (crop farmers)
Re: Agriculture Thread by Nobody: 9:53am On Feb 28, 2013
Re: Agriculture Thread by abayskia(m): 9:54am On Feb 28, 2013
I am currently studying forestry n wildlife in uniben bt i intend transferring to agric.econs.although i initially applied for pharmacy.does any1 know anytn abt forestry n wildlife shud pls tell me sumtn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Low Cost Dryer Machine For Drying Cassava Chips,spices, Herbs, Garlic Silces, / Fabricated Cages @ Affordable Prices Contact Via Whatsapp: 08062246255 / How To Successfuly Start Onion Farming In Southern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.