Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers (991 Views)

Jonathan Approves Diezani’s Sister And 60 Others For Political Appointments / Pres Jonathan Approves Automatic Promotion for Soldiers who Liberated Baga / N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by nep2ra(m): 1:17am On Feb 21, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday approved the sum of N384bn for the payment of severance benefits to employees of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria who will be disengaged from the services of the company.

This was in fulfilment of the agreement reached between the labour unions in the power sector and the Federal Government during a recent peace talk brokered by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Pius Anyim.

Controversies about the payment of the severance package, the amount to be paid and the number of beneficiaries have been core issues hindering the privatisation of power firms in the country.

About 50,000 PHCN workers and 4,000 whose employment has not been regularised will be paid off from the amount to pave the way for the full privatisation of the successor companies of PHCN.

The implication of this is that the workers that will be absorbed by the new owners of the successor companies will operate under new conditions of service in line with agreement with Labour.

The ministers of Labour and Productivity, Chief Emeka Wogu; and Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, disclosed the President’s approval to State House correspondents in Abuja on Wednesday.

Wogu said the Federal Government would spend N384bn on the severance package, which payment will start on Thursday (today).

The minister said the payment would finally put an end to labour issues in the power sector.

He said, “I want to inform you that the agreed benefits accruing to the staff of PHCN in the last negotiation between government and the labour unions have been approved by President Goodluck Jonathan.

“Payment of the agreed sum will commence immediately and that brings to an end the labour issues relating to the non-payment of benefits.

“So, we enjoin labour unions in the power sector to work closely with the Ministry of Power in the payment of these benefits as agreed. The process will commence tomorrow (today) and I want to assure them that this brings to an end the labour issues in the sector.

“This payment is only for PHCN staff and in determining who should benefit, labour and government conducted a biometric exercise. The number of people benefiting is clearly defined by this agreement.

“The total package is approximately N384bn in full payment of all outstanding benefits that we agreed upon. It will be done within the best principle of transparency and accountability.”

Nebo expressed the hope that the approval of the payment would further encourage the PHCN workers to continue to serve patriotically and ensure that no hitches were recorded in government’s efforts to realise its power sector roadmap.

He said, “We are very grateful to the staff of PHCN for all that they have done to make sure that power is available all over the country. We do hope that they will continue to serve patriotically to ensure that no hitches are put in place in the realisation of the entire power sector roadmap.

“We want to make sure that eventually, Nigerians get uninterrupted power supply and that is exactly what the roadmap for the power sector addresses.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-approves-n384bn-severance-package-for-phcn-workers/
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by cichella(m): 1:28am On Feb 21, 2013
ju
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by taharqa: 2:23am On Feb 21, 2013
Very Good. Let those PHCN workers GO asap. And let the new Private Owners take ova.... Telecoms tins on my mind
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by asha80(m): 2:34am On Feb 21, 2013
taharqa: Very Good. Let those PHCN workers GO asap. And let the new Private Owners take ova.... Telecoms tins on my mind
is it all phcn workers or some?because i still saw some coming around my neighbourhood to disconnect lines
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by taharqa: 3:17am On Feb 21, 2013
asha 80: is it all phcn workers or some?because i still saw some coming around my neighbourhood to disconnect lines
The PHCN workers hv not bn sacked yet, cos the Private bidders hv not yet taken ova their various companies. It is a Process. Yes, some of them wud start the process of collecting their Terminal Benefits Today afta d President's approval and the conclusion of the Biometrics Verification process, still it wud take days and even weeks b4 the process ends. Meanwhile and importantly, the Private bidders wud legally take ova their companies today or tomorrow, once the BPE who hv already verified the Bank Guarantees they submitted last month, signs the final Agreement documents with them this week; it wud also take weeks or even months for the Private bidders to take actual physical/managerial control of the companies, afta they must hv finishd paying the bid money in full- Only then wud then PHCN workers be 'sackd'. I expect some of the bidders to take final control from around April and June, probably starting with d Gencos. Like I said, its a process.... By d way, I bliv not all PHCN workers wud be 'sacked' at a go, cos some of them wud still be working for PHCN units that has not be sold yet (like the new NIPP plants, Afam Genco, Kaduna Disco, etc ) Or that wud not be sold (eg, TCN).
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by taharqa: 3:20am On Feb 21, 2013
By d way, am seriously waiting for the handova of TCN to Manitoba International next week, according to the new Power Minister. I really hope that is true, so that that very important aspect be closed for good.
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by YorubaOmoge: 3:22am On Feb 21, 2013
Jesu! N384bn?
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by Nobody: 4:19am On Feb 21, 2013
The reforms done so far in PHCN is earth shaking, unprecedented and history making. No wonder we'v been in darkness all this while. The process has been tedious and financial cost collosal. Only a focused and firm govt with enormous political will can see this process thru without hitches.

GEJ is about to make history. I urge him to remain steadfast and keep his eye on the ball. The current reforms in PHCN, particularly privatisation, will be the greatest singular positive development in this country in decades

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by Onlytruth(m): 4:27am On Feb 21, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The reforms done so far in PHCN is earth shaking, unprecedented and history making. No wonder we'v been in darkness all this while. The process has been tedious and financial cost collosal. Only a focused and firm govt with enormous political will can see this process thru without hitches.

GEJ is about to make history. I urge him to remain steadfast and keep his eye on the ball. The current reforms in PHCN, particularly privatisation, will be the greatest singular positive development in this country in decades

My brother, you have spoken the CONCRETE TRUTH.
All past federal government leaders (especially the military ones) avoided "NEPA" like a curse. They couldn't touch it, though they could manage to steal billions of dollars.
I have always suspected that this is the real reason Nigeria is in darkness.
Now imagine 50,000 leeches sucking us dry for YEARS on.

If Jonathan pulls of this quiet revolution, his name will be written in BOLD GOLD. cool

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by Onlytruth(m): 4:31am On Feb 21, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge: Jesu! N384bn?

Yes, it a smart way of managing money. Any smart person would pay of a high interest loan QUICKLY, even before buying food, else the yoke remains on his neck and inevitably steal tomorrow's food, often multiple times!

Only a SPECIAL leader can make this judgement call.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by seanet01: 5:00am On Feb 21, 2013
Good move by Jonathan.
Hopefully he will do something meaningful in the Power and Transport sector.
This is all he needs to get my backing in 2015.
But haven't we been here before?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by koruji(m): 5:21am On Feb 21, 2013
You guys need to cut the backslapping crap.

Privatizing these moribund bodies has been a long-standing affair that started in the days of IBB.
OBJ accomplished the most successful privatization of the communications sector by opening up wireless service.
OBJ tried and failed with NITEL, but the plans for PHCN was started back then too - most of the plants being readied for commission now were started then.
In fact, Yar'adua/GEJ slowed down progress in this area unnecessaryily

Before you jump up and down, it would be a good thing for GEJ to accomplish this.
However, the operative word is "ACCOMPLISH".
All these payments and re-arrangements are not the real accomplishments.
What Nigerians want to see with these reforms is "RAPID IMPROVEMENT OF POWER SUPPLY".
GEJ is making moves in that area, but it is not yet there.
Even the 4GW of capacity is not reaching the public consistently.
You guys will come here to proclaim periods when power supply reaches 4GW.
But we will not hear anything from you about the sharp decline in supply over the last few weeks, for example!!!

One more note - in a country where the focus is not on pilfering resources there is really no need to be paying off workers with this huge amount of money.
Given what I have seen so far under this administration - we will be talking about someone who made off with N50 billion of this money in 6 months time.
AND GEJ would not give a damn!!!

You need to explain who stole billions of dollars - I am sure you will find them in GEJ's company too!!!

Onlytruth:
My brother, you have spoken the CONCRETE TRUTH.
All past federal government leaders (especially the military ones) avoided "NEPA" like a curse. They couldn't touch it, though they could manage to steal billions of dollars.
I have always suspected that this is the real reason Nigeria is in darkness.
Now imagine 50,000 leeches sucking us dry for YEARS on.

If Jonathan pulls of this quiet revolution, his name will be written in BOLD GOLD. cool

Sincere 9gerian: The reforms done so far in PHCN is earth shaking, unprecedented and history making. No wonder we'v been in darkness all this while. The process has been tedious and financial cost collosal. Only a focused and firm govt with enormous political will can see this process thru without hitches.

Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by PapaBrowne(m): 7:16am On Feb 21, 2013
koruji: You guys need to cut the backslapping crap.

Privatizing these moribund bodies has been a long-standing affair that started in the days of IBB.
OBJ accomplished the most successful privatization of the communications sector by opening up wireless service.
OBJ tried and failed with NITEL, but the plans for PHCN was started back then too - most of the plants being readied for commission now were started then.

Before you jump up and down, it would be a good thing for GEJ to accomplish this.
What Nigerians want to see with these reforms is "RAPID IMPROVEMENT OF POWER SUPPLY".
But we will not hear anything from you about the sharp decline in supply over the last few weeks, for example!!!

One more note - in a country where the focus is not on pilfering resources there is really no need to be paying off workers with this huge amount of money.
Given what I have seen so far under this administration - we will be talking about someone who made off with N50 billion of this money in 6 months time.

You need to explain who stole billions of dollars - I am sure you will find them in GEJ's company too!!!

While I agree with you that the process was started by OBJ(he only just laid the foundation), Jonathan would get all the credit for various reasons. Yar Adua came and destroyed whatever foundation OBJ laid. It has taken Jonathan more than gargantuan steps to correct the drawbacks that Yar Adua created.
Also, OBJ had 8 years to work the sector and failed woefully for much of that. Jonathan has been working on this for less than 3 years and is experiencing success after success after success.
We must give credit where it is due. You might not like Jonathan but he is recording successes in so many areas where other administrations have failed woefully. In comparison to our expectations, he might bbe falling short, but in comparison to all the past leaders combined, jonathan is making recording immense successes. Power, Agriculture, Roads, Rail, Aviation, you name it.

With the immmense successes recorded in the power sector, we hope Jonathan helps get this NEPA problem finally off our backs like OBJ did with telecoms.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by Nobody: 7:57am On Feb 21, 2013
koruji: You guys need to cut the backslapping crap.

We know haters would rather DIE than commend GEJ for anything. I'm not surprised you'r comparing the selling of GSM licences to MTN and Econet, and later Glo to the ongoing privatisation of a complex, complicated and amorphous institution like PHCN. Even a primary school pupil can supervise the selling of licences to privately owned companies. The privatisation of NITEL that OBJ attempted, how did it end?

Have you considered the intricacies and complexity in privatising at once the 11 PHCN distribution companies, several generation companies and settling the entitlements of 50,000 workers?

Since the law backing this reform was passed as far back as 2004, why didn't OBJ use between 2004 to 2007 to do the right things?

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by karlmax2: 9:12am On Feb 21, 2013
Good one GeJ u have my vote come 2015.
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by koruji(m): 4:23pm On Feb 21, 2013
Nobody is dying rather than give GEJ commendation - when he deserves it he will get it.
GEJ is the one who took people's support, got in the chair in Aso Rock and became a wolf-in-sheep-clothing.
Commendations for him will come very stringently, based on actual on-ground performance.
This is because of repeated lies and innuendo his administration is fast becoming known for.

You talk about NEPA being complicated to privatize.
Compared with NITEL that is not true, electricity is actually less fungible than communication.
GEJ needs to learn the lessons of NITEL in order to be successful with NEPA they are similar kettle of fish.

I repeat it again GEJ is making moves, but he hasn't succeeded yet.
I hope he succeeds, unlike GEJ and his cohorts like you who take petty quarrels personally.
But you guys need to stop jumping ahead because of signed agreements and approvals
These do not light up a room or operate machinery.

Sincere 9gerian:
We know haters would rather DIE than commend GEJ for anything. I'm not surprised you'r comparing the selling of GSM licences to MTN and Econet, and later Glo to the ongoing privatisation of a complex, complicated and amorphous institution like PHCN. Even a primary school pupil can supervise the selling of licences to privately owned companies. The privatisation of NITEL that OBJ attempted, how did it end?

Have you considered the intricacies and complexity in privatising at once the 11 PHCN distribution companies, several generation companies and settling the entitlements of 50,000 workers?

Since the law backing this reform was passed as far back as 2004, why didn't OBJ use between 2004 to 2007 to do the right things?
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by taharqa: 4:37pm On Feb 21, 2013
koruji: Nobody is dying rather than give GEJ commendation - when he deserves it he will get it.
GEJ is the one who took people's support, got in the chair in Aso Rock and became a wolf-in-sheep-clothing.
Commendations for him will come very stringently, based on actual on-ground performance.
This is because of repeated lies and innuendo his administration is fast becoming known for.

You talk about NEPA being complicated to privatize.
Compared with NITEL that is not true, electricity is actually less fungible than communication.
GEJ needs to learn the lessons of NITEL in order to be successful with NEPA they are similar kettle of fish.

I repeat it again GEJ is making moves, but he hasn't succeeded yet.
I hope he succeeds, unlike GEJ and his cohorts like you who take petty quarrels personally.
But you guys need to stop jumping ahead because of signed agreements and approvals
These do not light up a room or operate machinery.

I ALWAYS advice people that they shld plz keep SHUT once they dont know what they are talking about. Giving same advice here too.
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by koruji(m): 4:46pm On Feb 21, 2013
You arrogance is silly.

There are two ways to address what I wrote:
1. You ask for more explanation if you didn't understand it.
2. You tell me how I could be wrong if you think you know better.

Your implied assumption that you know more about this than myself, may be true or not, shows a level of arrogance that is characteristic of your likes here on NL.
This is a faceless forum, and you shouldn't make assumptions about who may or may not be on the other end of the post.
For all we know GEJ himself may have an account and be posting replies here on NL - though I would consider that unlikely.

So, shove your arrogance where the sun don't shine and state your points if you have any!

taharqa: I ALWAYS advice people that they shld plz keep SHUT once they dont know what they are talking about. Giving same advice here too.
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by Nobody: 4:49pm On Feb 21, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The reforms done so far in PHCN is earth shaking, unprecedented and history making. No wonder we'v been in darkness all this while.
....as if we have not always been in darkness! mtscheeew!

I can see the reason Nepa officials came to do a farewell disconnection in my neighborhood after disappearing for a long time.

After Jonathan pays them off, they should get lost and new set of people employed. We wont have old corrupt hands in the system again.
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by superior1: 4:50pm On Feb 21, 2013
I think that maybe a good move, the money plenty sha but then lets wait and see.
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by tomakint: 4:54pm On Feb 21, 2013
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by tomakint: 4:54pm On Feb 21, 2013
seanet01: Good move by Jonathan.
Hopefully he will do something meaningful in the Power and Transport sector.
This is all he needs to get my backing in 2015.
But haven't we been here before?
Now this is what I am talking about at least a 'soul has been won over to Jonathan side' trust me, you just stick around bro Jonathan needs our prayers to really take us there! I kind of respect your view here cool only don't disappoint
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by koruji(m): 5:04pm On Feb 21, 2013
This is why paying them off is a waste of money, and actually much of this N384 billion will end up in the pockets of GEJ & his people.
These same people will be back on the job with the new PHCN after they collect whatever gets to them from these funds.
It is a simple as that - they are going nowhere.

berem: ....as if we have not always been in darkness! mtscheeew!

I can see the reason Nepa officials came to do a farewell disconnection in my neighborhood after disappearing for a long time.

After Jonathan pays them off, they should get lost and new set of people employed. We wont have old corrupt hands in the system again.
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by tomakint: 5:08pm On Feb 21, 2013
koruji: This is why paying them off is a waste of money, and actually much of this N384 billion will end up in the pockets of GEJ & his people.
These same people will be back on the job with the new PHCN after they collect whatever gets to them from these funds.
It is a simple as that - they are going nowhere.

...but why are you so 'pessimistic' in your sentiments? undecided it's not helping your points most times cool
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by koruji(m): 8:19pm On Feb 21, 2013
Becos GEJ promises 10000% of what he plans to or is capable of delivering. Sorry.

tomakint:
...but why are you so 'pessimistic' in your sentiments? undecided it's not helping your points most times cool
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by otokx(m): 8:38pm On Feb 21, 2013
Where is the 384bn coming from? Was it in this years budget?
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by Nightshift(m): 8:51pm On Feb 21, 2013
As we praise Mr president for bringing this change towards the end, one must also remember that Prof. Barth Nnaji's committee drew and laid down the power sector roadmap. He fought all the hells in NEPA while he was power minister in order to keep the dream of a new dawn in Nigeria's shameful power company real.
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by Bellozicobichi: 9:40pm On Feb 21, 2013
berem: ....as if we have not always been in darkness! mtscheeew!

u guys no ds nepa work no be one day person go learn it takes year for one 2 know a litle about it for corruption u talk about u no say na 9ja people go re employ no say na from
heaven don they come from all I want u out there 2 know phcn staff are the most hard working people especially the junior ones
Re: Jonathan Approves N384bn Severance Package For PHCN Workers by SKYQUEST(m): 10:29pm On Feb 21, 2013

I thought they said this guy is a retardee!

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Strikes Again - Nigeria Military Base Attack Kills At Least 20 / Bode George Accused Of Stealing Oil Subsidy Savings As Sure-p Largesse Tears Lag / Army Destroys Boko Haram’s Anti-aircraft Guns In Borno, Kills Yet To Be Confirm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.