Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! (11874 Views)

Jos Wildlife Park Lion Killed {picture} / Lion Escapes From Cage At Jos Wildlife Park / Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 12:12pm On Feb 22, 2013
I have been a lover of wildlife, environment and generally Mother Nature right from when I was little. I remembered staying glue to our T.V set to watch “Wild America” on NTA 2 Channel 5 and “Animals in Action” on Lagos Television (LTV) in those good old days. The mission of this thread is to expose many of us (myself inclusive) to the mysteries that make up these creatures we share this water Planet with. Any hidden, mysterious, facts you know about animals (plants and insects are included please) that can be educative will be fully appreciated, this is supposed to be an interactive thread as well, you are free to ask questions and post pictures too! I believe many brilliant minds will be here to educate us all. Let me kick start this thread while quoting from my book, ‘Some Raw Facts of Our World’

• Rhino horn is a tightly packed hair, a form of keratin like human hair and toenails.

• Sea ice is critical to Polar Bears (Ursus maritimus) survival, a platform from which they hunt their prey, mainly seals.

• A full-grown elephant needs about 140 kilograms of food and up to 200 litres of water every day.

• Elephants help their sick and injured ones. Cows often watch over dead calves, sometimes covering them with leaves and branches before moving on.

• Tiger parts are used in Traditional Chinese medicines for treatment of rheumatism and devil possession.

• Old and sick tigers and lions may become man-eaters as humans are considered easier prey.

• The giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis) has the sharpest hoof and most powerful kick of all the animals.

• The Sable antelope (Hippotragus niger) is a match for a lion in combats.

• A full-grown dog is no match for a ratel (honey-badger).

• Snakes have powerful digestive enzymes (specialized proteins) to break down the hair, feathers, bones and other parts of their prey.

• Among the giant snakes (boids) and birds of prey, females are credited with their superiority and huge stature over their male counterparts.

• Elephant’s trunks are said to contain an estimated 40,000 number of muscles.

• The Ocean sunfish (Mola mola) produces up to 30,000,000 eggs in a clutch.

• Of all the whales, the one with the longest arms (front fins or flippers) is the Humpback (Megaptera novaengliae), which can grow to a length of 16 feet (5 metres).

• The illegal trade in wild fauna and flora has an international value of US $8 billion annually.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by nke001: 1:56pm On Feb 22, 2013
Nice post!
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 1:59pm On Feb 22, 2013
nke001: Nice post!
Thanks for dropping by, you may do well too by posting some 'facts' you know about these wonderful creatures we share this planet with wink
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2013
Wow!! Interesting faces.

So only sick lion/tigers prey on humans? Does that mean I can walk into healthy lion/tiger territory without fear?
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:01pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge: Wow!! Interesting faces.

So only sick lion/tigers prey on humans? Does that mean I can walk into healthy lion/tiger territory without fear?
Don't try that, remember they are carnivorous animals I am talking about 'habitual men-eaters' in this case cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 6:03pm On Feb 22, 2013
tomakint:
Don't try that, remember they are carnivorous animals I am talking about 'habitual men-eaters' in this case cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

If they're carnivorous, then aren't they "habitual man-eaters"? When does it become habitual?
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 6:05pm On Feb 22, 2013
•The Sable antelope (Hippotragus niger) is a match for a lion in combats.

Wow. . . shocked

Look at the weapons on those babies!

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:07pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

Wow. . . shocked

Look at the weapons on those babies!

Trust me the first time I did a thorough research on these 'pugnacious antelopes' I discovered that the 'The Forest' is indeed a battle for survival! A sable antelope is truly a match for a lion if cornered!
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 6:08pm On Feb 22, 2013
^^^answer my question about the habitual men-eaters
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:11pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

If they're carnivorous, then aren't they "habitual man-eaters"? When does it become habitual?
Let me break it down, three of the Big Cats' Lions, Tigers and Leopards can become habitual men-eaters if they are too old to hunt their usual fleet-footed preys or accidentally human encroachment to their habitats leads to change of diets and one thing about these afore-mentioned predators is that the moment they taste human flesh they hardly let go, stories abound from Kenya down to South Africa and far afield to India. Their becoming habitual men-eaters is gradual, so that's the point! Wao, I never knew you love wildlife like this, I thought Ileke-Idi was the bomb but here you are too, that's good! cool
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 6:18pm On Feb 22, 2013
tomakint:
Let me break it down, three of the Big Cats' Lions, Tigers and Leopards can become habitual men-eaters if they are too old to hunt their usual fleet-footed preys or accidentally human encroachment to their habitats leads to change of diets and one thing about these afore-mentioned predators is that the moment they taste human flesh they hardly let go, stories abound from Kenya down to South Africa and far afield to India. Their becoming habitual men-eaters is gradual, so that's the point! Wao, I never knew you love wildlife like this, I thought Ileke-Idi was the bomb but here you are too, that's good! cool

I don't think it necessarily has to do with change of diet, but more with available resource. carnivores will eat anything meat they come in contact with. Throw a man into a lion/tiger territory, healthy or not, they'll chop him up. Carnivorous animals like lions/tigers will eat anything that is readily available in their surrounding.

Forgive me, but I think any carnivore is a habitual man-eater. In other words, habitual M-E does not exist.

1 Like

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:22pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

I don't think it necessarily has to do with change of diet, but more with available resource. carnivores will eat anything meat they come in contact with. Throw a man into a lion/tiger territory, healthy or not, they'll chop him up. Carnivorous animals like lions/tigers will eat anything that is readily available in their surrounding.

Forgive me, but I think any carnivore is a habitual man-eater.
I beg to differ, are you aware that Lions are faced with two regimes in the wild "Feast and Famine regime"? Feast is when there are abundance of wildebeest, Zebras and other prey items (because Lions prefer the flesh of these two ungulates) but during famine regime Lions and most predators will take on anything including decaying animals that's when you see them slugging it out with hyenas now coming to your point of carnivorous animals will readily eat humans I think it's not true why? they have been 'created to prefer certain preys for the other' and most times they will try to avoid humans I am talking from experience my dear wink

1 Like

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 6:32pm On Feb 22, 2013
tomakint:
I beg to differ, are you aware that Lions are faced with two regimes in the wild "Feast and Famine regime"? Feast is when there are abundance of wildebeest, Zebras and other prey items (because Lions prefer the flesh of these two ungulates) but during famine regime Lions and most predators will take on anything including decaying animals that's when you see them slugging it out with hyenas now coming to your point of carnivorous animals will readily eat humans I think it's not true why? they have been 'created to prefer certain preys for the other' and most times they will try to avoid humans I am talking from experience my dear wink

Ohh now I get what you're saying grin

So tell me about your experience.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:33pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

Ohh now I get what you're saying grin

So tell me about your experience.
Toss me some questions on wildlife first then we can move up the ladder gradually, if you don't mind cool
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by yuzedo: 6:34pm On Feb 22, 2013
You didn't drop any facts about the Nigerian Politicians that dominate our society or you think those animals aren't part of wildlife?? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Nobody: 6:34pm On Feb 22, 2013
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:36pm On Feb 22, 2013
yuzedo: You didn't drop any facts about the Nigerian Politicians that dominate our society or you think those animals aren't part of wildlife?? undecided
please don't derail abeg, trust me there is a lot to learn from this thread if you stick around, remember this is no 'politics section' thanks you!

1 Like

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 6:37pm On Feb 22, 2013
tomakint:
Toss me some questions on wildlife first then we can move up the ladder gradually, if you don't mind cool

Ok, this may sound stupid, so I'm gonna apologize first, but why do birds bob their head up and down? And why do they move from side to side like a dance ritual? Is it for stability/balance?

I actually have a friend that's scared of birds lol. She's like "why do they move like that?" rotfl
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:41pm On Feb 22, 2013
more facts from me;
*If sea levels should rise by 75 to 85 metres, nearly all, except for a few coastal buildings would be submerged

*Ostrich’s egg is 4,500 times heavier than that of the smallest bird’s egg – the humming bird

*A reptile needs to stay warm while it is digesting food – a snake that has eaten, but cannot get to a warm place, may die because the food in its stomach will be too cold to digest

*The New Mexico whiptail lizards and other several species are all – female and can reproduce without mating, where the unfertilized eggs develop and hatch through a process called parthenogenesis

*Barbary apes are the only monkeys found in Europe, at the Gibraltar region

*In some species of fish families such as wrasses, parrot fishes and swamp eels every individual is born as a female while male are produced by sex reversal from female to male, a process called protogyny.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by solomon111(m): 6:42pm On Feb 22, 2013
tomakint:
please don't derail abeg, trust me there is a lot to learn from this thread if you stick around, remember this is no 'politics section' thanks you!
lol.
What a knock-out punch.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by theripper: 6:43pm On Feb 22, 2013
Hmmmm, tomakint d zoologist abi na animal behavioural scientist. Animal planet and Nat Geo wild must top ur most watched stations. Kudos to u, I dey augment my animal knowledge small small.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:44pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

Ok, this may sound stupid, so I'm gonna apologize first, but why do birds bob their head up and down? And why do they move from side to side like a dance ritual? Is it for stability/balance?

I actually have a friend that's scared of birds lol. She's like "why do they move like that?" rotfl
That's what we called 'Courtship Display or dance' to woo the intended partner for mating it's very common with partridges, pheasants, grouse etc and all those birds in the same family
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by mebad(m): 6:46pm On Feb 22, 2013
Have always been in love with d wild and animals in general.

Is it safe to assume a sable antelope can take on a fully grown lion? Beats my imaginatn tho
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 6:47pm On Feb 22, 2013
tomakint:
That's what we called 'Courtship Display or dance' to woo the intended partner for mating it's very common with partridges, pheasants, grouse etc and all those birds in the same family

Not. . . the regular bobbing! I can distinguish the regular hopping/bobbing to courtship dance.
It aint no courtship. You know, the regular erratic movements birds make.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:48pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

Not. . . the regular bobbing! I can distinguish the regular hopping/bobbing to courtship dance.
It aint no courtship. You know, the regular erratic movements birds make.
got no clue dearie
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:49pm On Feb 22, 2013
mebad: Have always been in love with d wild and animals in general.

Is it safe to assume a sable antelope can take on a fully grown lion? Beats my imaginatn tho
If in doubt just google about those 'pugnacious antelopes' they have been proved time and again to do just that against 'lone lions' cool
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 6:50pm On Feb 22, 2013
tomakint:
got no clue dearie
I'll try to post a video
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by vin4ever(m): 6:53pm On Feb 22, 2013
Interesting . .
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by vislabraye(m): 6:54pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge: Wow!! Interesting faces.

Yes you can.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 6:56pm On Feb 22, 2013
vislabraye:

Yes you can.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy bad guy!!
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 6:57pm On Feb 22, 2013
tomakint:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy bad guy!!

Not funny angry

vislabraye:

Yes you can.
I'll follow closely behind you , don't worry.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by theripper: 7:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
Tomakint, from ur repertoire of knowledge, abeg wetin b the hormone wey dey make insects mostly ants follow one another for straight line or zig zag manner.?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Fish With A Pig Head...Evolution? / Google Maps Trick Shows You The Inside Of Doctor Who's 'TARDIS' / Error Transfering Airtime On Glo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.