Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,499 members, 7,836,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! (11889 Views)

Jos Wildlife Park Lion Killed {picture} / Lion Escapes From Cage At Jos Wildlife Park / Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
The Antelope is commonly called Bushmeat in Nigeria.

It is a widely sought after delicacy in restaurants.

As a keen wild life enthusiast,I prefare Bushmeat in Draw Soup with Pounded Yam.Downed with a cold bottle of Gulder. grin

1 Like

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 7:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

Not funny angry
Ok lipsrsealed

Yoruba_Omoge:
I'll follow closely behind you , don't worry.
hmmmm...***tomakint scratches head***
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Temismith(f): 7:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
.j
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by vislabraye(m): 7:05pm On Feb 22, 2013
A cat hides its poo poo under in sand.
If you connect both terminals of a battery charger to both hands of a lizard respectively and switch it on, the lizard will would stop breathing for that period of time.
An electric eel can light up a light bulb.
An eagle can look directly at the sun without flinching.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 7:06pm On Feb 22, 2013
still more rolling in....

* Duck – billed Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus) carries poisonous substance in the spurs on their webbed foot

* The sense of distant touch scientifically referred to as, acoustico-lateralis is located on fish’s lateral lines.

* Basilisks or Jesus lizards are reported to have crossed lakes almost 400 metres wide while running on the surface of the water.

* The Kakapo (Strigops habroptilus) or owl parrot is the only member of the parrot families that cannot fly

* The elephant heart weighs 12 kilograms while the giraffe heart is about 11 kilograms.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 7:07pm On Feb 22, 2013
vislabraye: A cat hides its poo poo under in sand.
If you connect both terminals of a battery charger to both hands of a lizard respectively and switch it on, the lizard will would stop breathing for that period of time.
An electric eel can light up a light bulb.
An eagle can look directly at the sun without flinching.
Good one keep them rolling in...... cool
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

Ohh now I get what you're saying grin

So tell me about your experience.

Just like me his favourite TV channel is NATGEO WILD

Boy,I love Wildlife,especially the edible ones.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 7:10pm On Feb 22, 2013
the_ripper: Tomakint, from ur repertoire of knowledge, abeg wetin b the hormone wey dey make insects mostly ants follow one another for straight line or zig zag manner.?
rotfl grin
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by flinton(m): 7:11pm On Feb 22, 2013
[quote author=the_ripper]Tomakint, from ur repertoire of knowledge, abeg wetin b the hormone wey dey make insects mostly ants follow one another for straight line or zig zag mannner

I fink it's a chemical not a hormone
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Trimj: 7:13pm On Feb 22, 2013
I have been a lover of wildlife, environment and generally Mother Nature right from when I was little. I remembered staying glue to our T.V set to watch “Wild America” on NTA 2 Channel 5 and “Animals in Action” on Lagos Television (LTV) in those good old days. The mission of this thread is to expose many of us (myself inclusive) to the mysteries that make up these creatures we share this water Planet with. Any hidden, mysterious, facts you know about animals (plants and insects are included please) that can be educative will be fully appreciated, this is supposed to be an interactive thread as well, you are free to ask questions and post pictures too! I believe many brilliant minds will be here to educate us all. Let me kick start this thread while quoting from my book, ‘Some Raw Facts of Our World’

• Rhino horn is a tightly packed hair, a form of keratin like human hair and toenails.

• Sea ice is critical to Polar Bears (Ursus maritimus) survival, a platform from which they hunt their prey, mainly seals.

• A full-grown elephant needs about 140 kilograms of food and up to 200 litres of water every day.

• Elephants help their sick and injured ones. Cows often watch over dead calves, sometimes covering them with leaves and branches before moving on.

• Tiger parts are used in Traditional Chinese medicines for treatment of rheumatism and devil possession.

• Old and sick tigers and lions may become man-eaters as humans are considered easier prey.

• The giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis) has the sharpest hoof and most powerful kick of all the animals.

• The Sable antelope (Hippotragus niger) is a match for a lion in combats.

• A full-grown dog is no match for a ratel (honey-badger).

• Snakes have powerful digestive enzymes (specialized proteins) to break down the hair, feathers, bones and other parts of their prey.

• Among the giant snakes (boids) and birds of prey, females are credited with their superiority and huge stature over their male counterparts.

• Elephant’s trunks are said to contain an estimated 40,000 number of muscles.

• The Ocean sunfish (Mola mola) produces up to 30,000,000 eggs in a clutch.

• Of all the whales, the one with the longest arms (front fins or flippers) is the Humpback (Megaptera novaengliae), which can grow to a length of 16 feet (5 metres).

• The illegal trade in wild fauna and flora has an international value of US $8 billion annually
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by dasparrow: 7:28pm On Feb 22, 2013
@Post

Interesting facts, educative thread. Good job OP!
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 7:31pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:
rotfl grin
'pheromones' it also aids them to find lost ones! The pheromones is d scent they leave on their trails as they move along cool
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 22, 2013
Rhinos horn serves as medicine for cancer treatment and a Rhino's horn is very expensive. In south africa, killing and smuggling of Rhino's horns is tantamount to 10 yrs imprisonment or thereabout.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by YorubaOmoge: 7:40pm On Feb 22, 2013
Hackin: Rhinos horn serves as medicine for cancer treatment and a Rhino's horn is very expensive. In south africa, killing and smuggling of Rhino's horns is tantamount to 10 yrs imprisonment or thereabout.

Wow!! Which cancer do they treat? Lung, liver, brain, skin etc?
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by flinton(m): 7:41pm On Feb 22, 2013
Some Big cat hybrids
Lion mates a tiger= liger
Tiger ” a lion = tigon
Lion " a jaguar=liguar
Lion " a loepard=lipard

Tiger+jaguar=tiguar
Tiger+loepard=tigard
Jaguar+lion=jaglion
Jaguar+tiger=jagger
Jaguar+leopard=jagupard
Leopard+lion=leopon
Leopard+tiger=dogla
Leopard+jaguar=leguar

NOTE these hybrids are not found in nature only found in captivity

2 Likes

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by ibrutex(m): 7:51pm On Feb 22, 2013
...butterfly taste with their feet
....grashopper rip off the male head to initiate sex
.....cockroach can last up to 9 days with its head cut
......rat can last longer without water than camel
......houseflies carries germs with one side of their wing together with the cure on the other side(prov me wrong)
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by kenny1795(m): 8:01pm On Feb 22, 2013
I can only add one- a sting from a jellyfish is enouf to kill a human.... Wat a beta way 2 murder sum1
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 8:05pm On Feb 22, 2013
the_ripper: Tomakint, from ur repertoire of knowledge, abeg wetin b the hormone wey dey make insects mostly ants follow one another for straight line or zig zag manner.?
ooops I am sorry, I mistakenly sent d answer to another post up here! It is called 'Pheromones' as I have explained thanks!
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Feraz(m): 8:12pm On Feb 22, 2013
Nice!!!
Dolphins sleep with an eye closed while the other is on the look out for predators.....
A giraffe must always spread its legs before drinking water......
Don't know about this much but it is said that out of a shark, a moth and a bear, a moth has a wider sense of smell than the other two......
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:13pm On Feb 22, 2013
Ultimate Fact About Wildlife Consumption.
According to the legend of Okikioluwa, the grasscutter (eran òyà) is the most delicious of all bushmeats. Wether you fry or just boil it, it's good to go to your belly (yummy).
To the topic, this thread is informative. Nice one @tomakint. Are you a zoologist?
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by joerux60: 8:17pm On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

I don't think it necessarily has to do with change of diet, but more with available resource. carnivores will eat anything meat they come in contact with. Throw a man into a lion/tiger territory, healthy or not, they'll chop him up. Carnivorous animals like lions/tigers will eat anything that is readily available in their surrounding.

Forgive me, but I think any carnivore is a habitual man-eater. In other words, habitual M-E does not exist.

once a lion tastes the human flesh, it will keep on going after
it because it is salty because of the many salts we consume. in other
words it becomes a delicat esse to them
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 22, 2013
I love animals too, but our attitude toward wildlife in Nigeria has to change....

We always see wild animals as source of food, hence we do very little to conserve them....

That being said, some of the animal facts are intriguing... lemme add another fact...... Lions mate every 30 mins every day for 1 week when the female is on heat......

MMM, that's some effort.....
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Greatpooss(m): 8:19pm On Feb 22, 2013
Pleasant to hear these facts!
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by groovie(m): 8:20pm On Feb 22, 2013
Ok i like this thread.
has anyone heard about the vomeronasal organ? like a hidden 6th sensory organ that detect hormones like reproductory hormones dat the nose itself cannot detect. snakes especially in the pit viper class use dis organ to hunt prey using their tongue to collect scent particles of the prey, and analysing it with the organ. the vomeronasal organ also detects infra red. thats how scientist came up with missiles that will lock on a particular heat signature and destroy even if the object changes its path

2 Likes

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 22, 2013
as an animal which I am, wen I get angry I smoke a packet of benson without coughing
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by groovie(m): 8:32pm On Feb 22, 2013
These bone-crushing, power-snapping, spine-crunching beasts possess extreme strength when munching on their dinner! Measured in PSI (Pounds of force on an area of one square inch) these mighty creatures pack some bite!
Just so you know a strong human has a flimsy 150 PSI!
10. Lion – 691 PSI
The King of the jungle has a fierce bite to rival any unwise challengers to that title. Although it does have the weakest bit of all the big cats, its razor sharp teeth make up for this.
9. Jaguar – 700 PSI
The pure crushing force of this bite is strong enough to crack through the skull and pierce the brain. Best to avoid a headon collision with this type of jaguar!
8. Bear – 740 PSI
As soft and cuddly as they look, you probably wouldn't want to bump into a wild, hungry bear. The 'bear' brunt of it is they have a mighty bite!
7. Alligator Snapping Turtle– 1004 PSI
Despite having no teeth, these small little things don't need any false ones! There jaw power alone is enough to take off a human finger in one.
6. Tiger – 1050 PSI
The cunning stealth of a tiger means when these wily creatures do catch their prey, combined with their huge, devastating bite, they won't be going anywhere.

5. Hyena – 1100 PSI
With lethal force in their bite combined with their supremely strong teeth, a hyena can evendevour and digest an elephant’s bones. Getting in a fight with a hyena is no laughing matter!
4. Gorilla - 1300 PSI
These guys don’t spend all their time monkeying around. With extremely strong jaw and neck muscles these apes can munch through any plant. Although vegetarian you still wouldn’t want to wind one up!
3. Hippopotamus – 1821 PSI
Although they may look harmless, hippos possess the most powerful bite amongst all mammals. A word of advice, never get between a hippo andwater as they will charge at you, more people are killed thisway than by shark attacks.
2. Alligator – 2125 PSI
This mean reptile has a ferocious bite and there’s no escaping the mouth an alligator. They feed by grapping and holding their preyand then they simply don’t let go.
1. Crocodile – 5000 PSI
Beating their nearest rival by over double the crocodile is theultimate biting champ. With an incredible 5000 PSI it is strongly advised not to play a game of Snap with a croc!
from kixtv.co.uk

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by segedoo(m): 8:35pm On Feb 22, 2013
When bees sting, they tear their bellies and die. An owl can turn its neck about 180 degrees. The soles of the feet of elephants can sense motion vibrations several hundred miles away.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 8:41pm On Feb 22, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Ultimate Fact About Wildlife Consumption.
According to the legend of Okikioluwa, the grasscutter (eran òyà) is the most delicious of all bushmeats. Wether you fry or just boil it, it's good to go to your belly (yummy).
To the topic, this thread is informative. Nice one @tomakint. Are you a zoologist?
I am not but I have deep love for anything nature the interest is too much! I am an environmentalist though a self-trained one cool
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by harlos: 8:42pm On Feb 22, 2013
Feraz: Nice!!!
Dolphins sleep with an eye closed while the other is on the look out for predators.....
A giraffe must always spread its legs before drinking water......
Don't know about this much but it is said that out of a shark, a moth and a bear, a moth has a wider sense of smell than the other two......
i don't know about wild life but i think the reason why giraffe spread thier legs is for balance.grin

se mi get e
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by tomakint: 8:49pm On Feb 22, 2013
Piranha (especially the red-bellied species) are the most dangerous fish of tropical waters in the Amazon rivers and are capable of reducing animals as big as a horse to bare skeletons under 'few minutes' with their razor sharp teeth and formidable jaws! They move in schools of about hundreds and are feared by animals of the jungle not even anacondas (although young ones) are spared!
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by ajileko: 8:51pm On Feb 22, 2013
During mating season, Lion can mate up 40 times a day. Wow this is some kind of stamina.
Re: Some Facts You Need To Know About Wildlife! by Ibukune(m): 9:01pm On Feb 22, 2013

Pheromone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Fish With A Pig Head...Evolution? / How To Watch Different Stations On Gotv On Another Tv / Google Maps Trick Shows You The Inside Of Doctor Who's 'TARDIS'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.