Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,901 members, 7,835,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Do You Believe In Deliverance? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Believe In Deliverance? (7181 Views)

Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? / I Do Not Believe in God / Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by christemmbassey(m): 10:54am On Feb 25, 2013
J luv u: To understand what deliverance can do see Hebrew 11:3[b]5" women received their dead raised to life again,others were tortured not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection[/b]. that mean those that accept deliverance received their dead back to life again,dead what? dead marriages, relationship, career, businesses,finances, spiritual life,etc but those that refused deliverance were tortured. tortured of what? tortured of hardship, poverty,broken home, frustrations,lack of helper, loneliness,hatred,etc we all need deliverance. Being born again not withstanding, if not for anything else at least for spiritual recharge.if you have confessed Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, it´s not automatic for you to be free from evil covenants,but a ticket for your freedom through deliverance in His Name.
please go back and study, Hebrews 11 its about FAITH and NOT about deliverance. God bless.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by wordthots: 10:59am On Feb 25, 2013
ifihearam:

I am shocked at the way some of you think sha,no matter how born again you are,if the right things or steps are not followedthe devil will reside there forever, I saw a particular incidence 3 weeks ago in my church,this usher is as dedicated as ever but in the course of deliverance service the pastor pointed her out,meanwhile she was doing her job assisting those under going deliverance,you won't believe this born again christian started manifesting vis the evil and wicked spirit in her and sshe said they have been dwelling there for years bwhern she was born,and it was an agreement entered between them and the usher4 grand mother. My dear until you invite God,he will look the other way.

Why do you think most christian ladies encounter disappointment??its as a result of the spirit husband and until it is dealt with,they will remain there forever.

The reason your pastors preach otherwise is either of the following reasons:

1)They have a pact with demons or
2)They are not powerful enough to challenge them hence they use that scriptures to deceive you.

My dear you are preaching human experience and not the word of God. The pauline revelaations (col.1:13,eph.2:6, gal.1:4, heb.2:14 etc) give us an idea of d believers standing in Christ...
Greater is He dats in me dan he dat is in this world.
The devil uses all sorts of tactics (spirit husband n all) to keep believers in bondage. His main tool is fear.
I believe a believer who undastands His standn in christ wd always stay victorious. True deliverance comes from the study and meditation on Gods word. When you know the truth in d word, you wd truly be set free.
Lastly, we r Gods temple, His spirit dwells in us, not d devil...

Godbless
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by akinemma1: 11:57am On Feb 25, 2013
Goshen360: Those who go for deliverance ARE NOT CHRISTIANS. They might be 'church -goers' BUT NOT CHRISTIANS. I do not say that to condemn anyone but CHRISTIANS ARE ALREADY DELIVERED IN THEIR NEWNESS OF LIFE IN CHRIST. You attend deliverance week in week out, what happened to the first deliverance session you attended. Christianity is NOT giving your life to Christ, Christianity is CHRIST GIVING HIS LIFE TO YOU AND YOU LIVING THE LIFE OF CHRIST....."I came, that they may have life and have it more abundantly"....In him was life; and the life was the light of men. John 1:4....I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20
most of the work Jesus did on earth was to conduct deliverance for those that are opressed by the devil.you may say you don't need deliverance as a christian but i want you to answer the following questions.As anointed as Moses was,how did the spirit of anger entered his life?how come the spirit of immorality is still dwelling in Samson despite his anointing?If evil spirits such as these can dwell in the lives of anointed men,then where else can they not dwell.Remember,that the anger of Moses entered into his life through his ancestral lineage i.e Levi.I must also say that it is possible to live a demon free life but that will occur only after you have cast out every demons within you and at the same time closed every doors that they are using to gain access into your life by receving the baptism of the Holy ghost.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by akin101: 12:24pm On Feb 25, 2013
NA DEIVERANCE FROM POVERTY MI DEY LOOK FOR!!!! grin
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by wordthots: 12:40pm On Feb 25, 2013
akin emma: most of the work Jesus did on earth was to conduct deliverance for those that are opressed by the devil.you may say you don't need deliverance as a christian but i want you to answer the following questions.As anointed as Moses was,how did the spirit of anger entered his life?how come the spirit of immorality is still dwelling in Samson despite his anointing?If evil spirits such as these can dwell in the lives of anointed men,then where else can they not dwell.Remember,that the anger of Moses entered into his life through his ancestral lineage i.e Levi.I must also say that it is possible to live a demon free life but that will occur only after you have cast out every demons within you and at the same time closed every doors that they are using to gain access into your life by receving the baptism of the Holy ghost.

My broda, there's a very big difference between the Old covenant and The new covenant. Most of the examples you gave were men under the old covenant, this men didn't have the holy spirit indwelling them.
In our dispensation if a man gives in to anger or fornication, its nt necessarily a spirit, its his ignorance of Gods word. True deliverance is only found in the word of God and nt in Deliverance sessions conducted by churches. Its the word that sets a man free. Its abt renewing the mind thru Gods word.

About Jesus, the Men who He delivered from demons were nt born again because nobody could have bn born again before Jesus shed his blood...this men didn't av the Holy spirit indwelling them.

technically the new covenant (our dispensation) started in Acts ("technically"wink. Hebrews 9 explains ds

15 [Christ, the Messiah] is therefore the Negotiator and Mediator of an [entirely] new agreement (testament, covenant), so that those who are called and offered it may receive the fulfillment of the promised everlasting inheritance—since a death has taken place which rescues and delivers and redeems them from the transgressions committed under the [old] first agreement.
16 For where there is a [last] will and testament involved, the death of the one who made it must be established,
17 For a will and testament is valid and takes effect only at death, since it has no force or legal power as long as the one who made it is alive.
18 So even the [old] first covenant (God’s will) was not inaugurated and ratified and put in force without the shedding of blood. AMP

Godbless

2 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by christemmbassey(m): 12:41pm On Feb 25, 2013
J luv u: To understand what deliverance can do see Hebrew 11:3[b]5" women received their dead raised to life again,others were tortured not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection[/b]. that mean those that accept deliverance received their dead back to life again,dead what? dead marriages, relationship, career, businesses,finances, spiritual life,etc but those that refused deliverance were tortured. tortured of what? tortured of hardship, poverty,broken home, frustrations,lack of helper, loneliness,hatred,etc we all need deliverance. Being born again not withstanding, if not for anything else at least for spiritual recharge.if you have confessed Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, it´s not automatic for you to be free from evil covenants,but a ticket for your freedom through deliverance in His Name.
the CARNAL/natural man recieve not(can not understand) the the things of the Spirit of God.
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Goshen360(m): 12:59pm On Feb 25, 2013
Hmmmmm! Father, I thank you for the revelation of your word in this end time. Lord Jesus, I thank you for that when you came, you came Grace and TRUTH personified. I thank you Holy Spirit for the ministration of LIFE through my brothers, wordthots and christemmbassey. Glory to God.
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by mko2005: 1:15pm On Feb 25, 2013
J luv u: According to 2chorithians 5:17¨"if any man be in Christ he is a new creature old things are past away,behold all things are become new" while obadiah 17 says"upon mount zion there shall be deliverance and there shall holiness and the house of Jacob shall posses their possesions" what is your view on this scriptures?
I believe you can cast out demons from some one who is posses ! If my Jesus did it,and said greater works shall i do,i see no reason why i will say that there is nothing like casting out demons from some one who is possess !
Deliverance has got to do with hearing of the word to be saved or delivered !
God bless us
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by christemmbassey(m): 2:29pm On Feb 25, 2013
m.k.o2005:

I believe you can cast out demons from some one who is posses ! If my Jesus did it,and said greater works shall i do,i see no reason why i will say that there is nothing like casting out demons from some one who is possess !
Deliverance has got to do with hearing of the word to be saved or delivered !
God bless us
pls bro we are talking about 'christians', if i may ask how many christians did Jesus or the apostles casted demon from? Yes the christians have power to cast out demons but from unbelievers. Anyone who is posses by demon is not a christian, is not even a member of the church. Most buildings you see that carry sign posts as church are not 'church' o, but business centres and it will be wrong to call their customers christians. Stay blessed
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by maliso: 2:58pm On Feb 25, 2013
akin emma: most of the work Jesus did on earth was to conduct deliverance for those that are opressed by the devil.you may say you don't need deliverance as a christian but i want you to answer the following questions.As anointed as Moses was,how did the spirit of anger entered his life?how come the spirit of immorality is still dwelling in Samson despite his anointing?If evil spirits such as these can dwell in the lives of anointed men,then where else can they not dwell.Remember,that the anger of Moses entered into his life through his ancestral lineage i.e Levi.I must also say that it is possible to live a demon free life but that will occur only after you have cast out every demons within you and at the same time closed every doors that they are using to gain access into your life by receving the baptism of the Holy ghost.

Hello. Hope u know that before the resurrection of Jesus no one was a new creation
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by agb2011(f): 7:03pm On Feb 25, 2013
Goshen360: Lord! I can see many professed Christians are very far from what Christianity is about. Many people are still practicing CHURCHianity thinking that is Christianity.

People come to Christ but rather than believe what Christ did to set them free in this new creation life, they believe what one their ancestors did to keep them in bondage.

u ar wrong. Salvation does not exempt us from spiritual attacks but it only gives us the weapon to fight with.

U ar right if u say dt once u ar in Christ u don't really need deliverance. But do u know dt u must av reached a certain level spiritually wt God. Take a man who just got born again and repents from d sin of masturbation, he'l need deliverance to break d chemically reaction he has set in motion in his brain. A man whose father has dedicated to a god needs deliverance.
Even a good christian needs deliverance (a combination of fasting and prayer) for spiritual strength. Even Jesus mentioned dt some demons can only b cast out wt fasting and prayer. Jesus' ministry was majorly a deliverance ministry.
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 25, 2013
ifihearam:

I am shocked at the way some of you think sha,no matter how born again you are,if the right things or steps are not followedthe devil will reside there forever, I saw a particular incidence 3 weeks ago in my church,this usher is as dedicated as ever but in the course of deliverance service the pastor pointed her out,meanwhile she was doing her job assisting those under going deliverance,you won't believe this born again christian started manifesting vis the evil and wicked spirit in her and sshe said they have been dwelling there for years bwhern she was born,and it was an agreement entered between them and the usher4 grand mother. My dear until you invite God,he will look the other way.

Why do you think most christian ladies encounter disappointment??its as a result of the spirit husband and until it is dealt with,they will remain there forever.

The reason your pastors preach otherwise is either of the following reasons:

1)They have a pact with demons or
2)They are not powerful enough to challenge them hence they use that scriptures to deceive you.

Psalm 34:17 ESV

When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.

Psalm 107:6 ESV

Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress.

2 Samuel 22:2 ESV

He said, “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Feb 25, 2013
agb2011:

u ar wrong. Salvation does not exempt us from spiritual attacks but it only gives us the weapon to fight with.

U ar right if u say dt once u ar in Christ u don't really need deliverance. But do u know dt u must av reached a certain level spiritually wt God. Take a man who just got born again and repents from d sin of masturbation, he'l need deliverance to break d chemically reaction he has set in motion in his brain. A man whose father has dedicated to a god needs deliverance.
Even a good christian needs deliverance (a combination of fasting and prayer) for spiritual strength. Even Jesus mentioned dt some demons can only b cast out wt fasting and prayer. Jesus' ministry was majorly a deliverance ministry.
Mark 16:17 ESV

And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Chiefpriest(m): 9:31pm On Feb 25, 2013
my dear you cant do anything you cant even pray 4them because they attend mfm,chosen and the likes ,even rev kings followers are still waiting for his return.you and goshen have made your point let just celebrate the fact that we are lucky and be grate full to God for the priviledge.
christemmbassey: @Goshen360 are you really seeing what Am seeing in this thread? Bro what are we gonna do about these rampaging ignorance, some even said, "it doesnt matter, whether you are a christian, everybody needs deliverance" another one also quoted the beautiful-Hebrews 11 and murdered her, how can a 'christian' be so 'dead' so 'canal' ? Do they know who a 'christian' is? Well, I concede to them, they do NEED DELIVERANCE, from lack of knowledge (Hosea 4::6, john8: 32), from falsehood, fron unbelief(Heb3:18-19)they could not enter into, or experience the liberty of God's Spirit because of unbelief. So they DO NEED DELIVERANCE. Stay blessed.
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Chiefpriest(m): 9:52pm On Feb 25, 2013
My dear you are the one very wrong ,when the desciples received the holy ghost they received power became born again new creatures and peter began to speak like jesus with authority ,he told the blind man at the gate rise up and walk,no prayer and fasting .Please stop lieing jesus never fasted and to heal or cast out demons,fasting and prayer is a personal time with God to renew your connectivity with divinity.listen to goshen and christembassy my sons in them am well please.
agb2011:

Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by christemmbassey(m): 9:57pm On Feb 25, 2013
Chiefpriest: my dear you cant do anything you cant even pray 4them because they attend mfm,chosen and the likes ,even rev kings followers are still waiting for his return.you and goshen have made your point let just celebrate the fact that we are lucky and be grate full to God for the priviledge.[color=#990000][/color]
brother these are ppl that Jesus died for, Am concern o, such ignorance is not even found among unbelievers. The thieves have infiltrated the church o and their intention is john10:10..
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Chiefpriest(m): 10:07pm On Feb 25, 2013
Ahh! Thank you very much,speaking in tongues and thanking God,we still have people not yet blinded by the delivarance merchants,just made my work easy.
wordthots:

My broda, there's a very big difference between the Old covenant and The new covenant. Most of the examples you gave were men under the old covenant, this men didn't have the holy spirit indwelling them.
In our dispensation if a man gives in to anger or fornication, its nt necessarily a spirit, its his ignorance of Gods word. True deliverance is only found in the word of God and nt in Deliverance sessions conducted by churches. Its the word that sets a man free. Its abt renewing the mind thru Gods word.

About Jesus, the Men who He delivered from demons were nt born again because nobody could have bn born again before Jesus shed his blood...this men didn't av the Holy spirit indwelling them.

technically the new covenant (our dispensation) started in Acts ("technically"wink. Hebrews 9 explains ds

15 [Christ, the Messiah] is therefore the Negotiator and Mediator of an [entirely] new agreement (testament, covenant), so that those who are called and offered it may receive the fulfillment of the promised everlasting inheritance—since a death has taken place which rescues and delivers and redeems them from the transgressions committed under the [old] first agreement.
16 For where there is a [last] will and testament involved, the death of the one who made it must be established,
17 For a will and testament is valid and takes effect only at death, since it has no force or legal power as long as the one who made it is alive.
18 So even the [old] first covenant (God’s will) was not inaugurated and ratified and put in force without the shedding of blood. AMP

Godbless
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Chiefpriest(m): 10:21pm On Feb 25, 2013
Since thier respective GO.s are in pertnership with the john 10:10 thief thier case becomes pathetic,even our lord Jesus did not heal the spiritually blind mog of his time,the scribes and pharasees.you don try.stay bless.
christemmbassey: brother these are ppl that Jesus died for, Am concern o, such ignorance is not even found among unbelievers. The thieves have infiltrated the church o and their intention is john10:10..
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Feb 25, 2013
anitank: No

But I believe there is evil in this world and we need to constantly pray for God's all round protection against the wicked forces of wretchedness,poverty,curses,sickness and untimely death

Deliverance by a pastor or priest will make no difference if the individual is not spiritually equipped, and that means praying fervently

spot on!!!!
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Chuksxp: 10:55pm On Feb 25, 2013

christemmbassey: please go back and study, Hebrews 11 its about FAITH and NOT about deliverance. God bless.

Exactly! When read in context that verse has absolutely nothing to do with deliverance. For those that were tortured, they did not accept deliverance from the physical prison they were in, SO THAT they might obtain a better resurrection.

So those that suffered and refused to be released (delivered) from the prison are actually men of faith too, not men under a curse.
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by nlMediator: 11:25pm On Feb 26, 2013
I am all for the view that we need to pattern our lives after the NT church and anchor our beliefs on what is written in the New Testament. I caution, however, against the danger of extremes, which lead us into thinking that something is right or wrong simply because we cannot find an example of it in the NT. For one, the Bible is both a revelational and “historical” book, by which I mean that the Bible contains stories of events from which certain principles can be distilled. Yet, the Bible is not about manufacturing stories. In other words, if something did not happen, the Bible may not tell about it. If early Christians were not demonized, the Bible cannot include such stories. The conclusion we draw then may be that Christians cannot be demonized. But it could also be that the early Christians were not demonized. That would call for us to dig deeper and find out why, instead of sticking to one, and discounting any other plausible, explanation.

All my Christian life, I would say that I have been more sympathetic with the side that states that a Christian cannot be oppressed or obsessed (I think everybody believes that a Christian cannot be possessed – which is full control by the devil – so I leave that). Of late, I’m not quick to dismiss the opposing view. And I thought about this question of whether Christians need deliverance, something dropped in my heart asking: “what of Simon the sorcerer?” To tell you the truth, it’s been long since I read his story and I don’t think I’ve ever studied it. I decided to go to Acts 8 and also do a bit of Bible study on that story. I’ll share what I learnt subsequently. I’ll like my brothers and sisters here to join me in the study. I’m not claiming any deep revelation and I certainly do not want to mislead anybody.

I should also add that if I want to go by experience, I can conclude today that Christians can be demonized and need freedom if they find themselves in such a state. But I do not want to base my position primarily on experience. Without the support of the Word of God, I’d be bothered about any experience, no matter how beautiful and well-intentioned it is.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Feb 26, 2013
nlMediator: I am all for the view that we need to pattern our lives after the NT church and anchor our beliefs on what is written in the New Testament. I caution, however, against the danger of extremes, which lead us into thinking that something is right or wrong simply because we cannot find an example of it in the NT. For one, the Bible is both a revelational and “historical” book, by which I mean that the Bible contains stories of events from which certain principles can be distilled. Yet, the Bible is not about manufacturing stories. In other words, if something did not happen, the Bible may not tell about it. If early Christians were not demonized, the Bible cannot include such stories. The conclusion we draw then may be that Christians cannot be demonized. But it could also be that the early Christians were not demonized. That would call for us to dig deeper and find out why, instead of sticking to one, and discounting any other plausible, explanation.

All my Christian life, I would say that I have been more sympathetic with the side that states that a Christian cannot be oppressed or obsessed (I think everybody believes that a Christian cannot be possessed – which is full control by the devil – so I leave that). Of late, I’m not quick to dismiss the opposing view. And I thought about this question of whether Christians need deliverance, something dropped in my heart asking: “what of Simon the sorcerer?” To tell you the truth, it’s been long since I read his story and I don’t think I’ve ever studied it. I decided to go to Acts 8 and also do a bit of Bible study on that story. I’ll share what I learnt subsequently. I’ll like my brothers and sisters here to join me in the study. I’m not claiming any deep revelation and I certainly do not want to mislead anybody.

I should also add that if I want to go by experience, I can conclude today that Christians can be demonized and need freedom if they find themselves in such a state. But I do not want to base my position primarily on experience. Without the support of the Word of God, I’d be bothered about any experience, no matter how beautiful and well-intentioned it is.
God bless you bro... A balanced understanding of scriptures...the Christian faith is both revelational and experiential.
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by Chuksxp: 11:25pm On Feb 27, 2013
nlMediator: I am all for the view that we need to pattern our lives after the NT church and anchor our beliefs on what is written in the New Testament. I caution, however, against the danger of extremes, which lead us into thinking that something is right or wrong simply because we cannot find an example of it in the NT. For one, the Bible is both a revelational and “historical” book, by which I mean that the Bible contains stories of events from which certain principles can be distilled. Yet, the Bible is not about manufacturing stories. In other words, if something did not happen, the Bible may not tell about it. If early Christians were not demonized, the Bible cannot include such stories. The conclusion we draw then may be that Christians cannot be demonized. But it could also be that the early Christians were not demonized. That would call for us to dig deeper and find out why, instead of sticking to one, and discounting any other plausible, explanation.

The thing about Simon is that he never was a true Christian. Yea sure, v.13 says that he believed. But that's no different from the "easy believism" we see rampant today. People who merely believe in Jesus but don't truly repent of sin. And of course, we saw Peter's testimony of Simon. He said to Him, "...your heart is not right before God... you are full of bitterness and captive to sin." This doesn't sound like a Christian attribute to me.

In addition, Simon was a sorcerer before the he heard the Apostle preach the gospel. So, obviously he wasn't a Christian when the devil was working heavily on him.
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by nlMediator: 1:04am On Feb 28, 2013
Bidam: God bless you bro... A balanced understanding of scriptures...the Christian faith is both revelational and experiential.

Appreciate your contribution. I can see christians are suffering and a proper understanding of this will help us all.
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by nlMediator: 1:15am On Feb 28, 2013
Chuksxp:

The thing about Simon is that he never was a true Christian. Yea sure, v.13 says that he believed. But that's no different from the "easy believism" we see rampant today. People who merely believe in Jesus but don't truly repent of sin. And of course, we saw Peter's testimony of Simon. He said to Him, "...your heart is not right before God... you are full of bitterness and captive to sin." This doesn't sound like a Christian attribute to me.

In addition, Simon was a sorcerer before the he heard the Apostle preach the gospel. So, obviously he wasn't a Christian when the devil was working heavily on him.

I admit that for a moment I thought the same way. But when I look at that scripture, it does not say that Simon "fakely" believed. What I see is that he believed AND was baptized. At no point all this time before Peter arrived when he was there in the community was the genuineness of his christianity challenged. He had a lot to lose by turning to Christ and Bible seems to indicate that he was convinced and converted by Philip's work.

Besides, what do you think of the gift of discerning of spirits in I Cor. 12? Is it meant to discern false spirits in unbelievers? Seeing that the gift is there to discern and distinguish between false and true spirits, couldn't that be quite relevant for people that have both kinds of spirits operating in their lives?
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by nlMediator: 1:15am On Feb 28, 2013
Chuksxp:

I admit that for a moment I thought the same way. But when I look at that scripture, it does not say that Simon "fakely" believed. What I see is that he believed AND was baptized. At no point all this time before Peter arrived when he was there in the community was the genuineness of his christianity challenged. He had a lot to lose by turning to Christ and Bible seems to indicate that he was convinced and converted by Philip's work.

Besides, what do you think of the gift of discerning of spirits in I Cor. 12? Is it meant to discern false spirits in unbelievers? Seeing that the gift is there to discern and distinguish between false and true spirits, couldn't that be quite relevant for people that have both kinds of spirits operating in their lives?
Re: Do You Believe In Deliverance? by nlMediator: 1:18am On Feb 28, 2013
In Acts 8, I see some facts that perhaps explain the puzzle of whether Christians can be oppressed (primarily in their body) or obsessed (primarily in their soul – mind, will, emotions) by the devil and thus need to be set free. And why the NT church does not seem to have much record on deliverance of, or casting out of demons from, Christians.

1. The early Church combined casting out of demons and the message of salvation. Acts 8: 4-8 shows Philip preaching the word and casting out demons. This caused many to pay close attention to him. And many got saved. Lesson #1: If the gospel message is preceded by deliverance, those that are set free and then get saved at that point would not need deliverance anymore. This seems to be a pattern in the early church that is largely missing today. We simply preach the message and people line up for salvation, without much deliverance activity prior to that. Comparing the experiences of the early and modern church in this respect is therefore inapt, as results are bound to vary.

2. Philip cast out demons and people believed. That looks like an inefficient process, if salvation always wipes out demonization automatically. Why waste hours – multiplied over months and years - casting out demons when you can get the same people saved and the demons would leave immediately. Lesson #2: There must be a reason for this 2-tiered process and one plausible reason is that some of those people would have undergone deliverance after salvation, if the demons had not left upon getting saved.

3. Philip conducted deliverance on unsaved people. If this people got saved, they stayed free from demons. If they did not get saved, they lacked the power and authority to keep the devil away from their lives. The evil spirits would come back, just as Jesus taught (about evil spirits coming back stronger when the house if swept and dry). So, of what value is this approach of delivering unbelievers? One possible answer is that it would be a sign that validates Philip’s ministry and converts the sinners. That may be right. But can’t Philip accomplish the same things – validation and conversion – by preaching salvation? Once the people are saved and automatically free of demons, those that knew them before then would see the difference and flock to Philip. So, there may be other explanations to examine. Lesson #3: Casting out demons from pre-saved people may be driven by the understanding that the demons will be cast out after salvation. Since the 2-stage process may be needed, it would make sense to start, rather than end, with deliverance, as people see the signs and salvation becomes easier with the devil out of the way.

4. Simon the sorcerer became a believer and was baptized. Acts 8.13. When he sought to buy the gift of laying on of hands to fill people with the Holy Spirit, Peter rebuked him. Acts 8: 20-23. Verse 23 is instructive. I read it in various translations, but found the Amplified Version very striking: “For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in a bond forged by iniquity [to fetter souls].” AV then references Is. 58:6. Two things become clear. Peter seems to be saying that Simon is in bondage to the devil, the one who fetters, bounds or chains souls. Second, Is. 58:6 that AV sees as being linked to this verse is commonly understood to be talking of demonic oppression or captivity and that fasting is an instrument for breaking such bondage. Lesson #4: Some new Christians, especially those that were involved in occult activity before salvation, may still be under bondage and should seek freedom. Ditto, Christians who dabble into the occult and other dark activities such as undergoing initiation into some fraternity after salvation may have unwittingly enslaved themselves to the devil and such ensnared beings would need any demons resident in their body or souls – or disturbing them from the outside – to be cast out.

5. Finally, as I continued to think on this issue, my attention was drawn to the gift of discerning of spirits in I Cor. 12. Nothing in that chapter or elsewhere in the Bible says that that gift (or any of the 9 gifts) is to be exercised only outside the Church and for the benefit of non-christians. If we can discern spirits in operation in Christians, wouldn’t that include cases of oppression and obsession?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"God" Is Outside Of Space And Time... / Decades Of Sexual Abuse In The Catholic Church. / Intercontinental Bank Boss Erastus Akingbola's Life As Redeemed Church Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.