Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Prisoners Of War - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Prisoners Of War (38940 Views)

We Are Able (THUG OF WAR) / Woman Of War --- A Story By Miss_fibre / Prisoner Of War - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 7:08pm On Mar 16, 2013
Make una comment na grin
Re: Prisoners Of War by mabebe1(f): 9:30pm On Mar 16, 2013
jst saw dis thread nw n decided 2 read it..m impressed bt u nid 2 work on tenses
pls continue
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 10:05pm On Mar 16, 2013
^Thank you very much for your observation. I'll make correction immediately. I'm going to update this night by the special grace of GOD. smiley
Re: Prisoners Of War by luvmijeje(f): 10:42am On Mar 17, 2013
Eze promoe,nice story,it kind of remind me of nollywood films.
But u are writting as though we are watching film i.e u are not describing ur characters and enviroment.Then in a chapter,we are viewing happenings from more than one characters which is kind of confusing.Let me explain with illustration.
Re: Prisoners Of War by luvmijeje(f): 11:22am On Mar 17, 2013
Eze Promoe: Ochibiaram had just being buried, Uju and her sisters were in their incessant mourning mood, Agunna's whereabout still unknown. They had searched for him everywhere, in the villages, forests, in order neighbouring but all to no avail.
Sympathizers came frequently to express their heartfelt condolence to the orphans, food items were donated for their upkeep.
Uju's eye had swollen from her tear duct up to the skin of her eye brow, all because of her constant weeping, her body was becoming thinner as if she was ill treated.

She still look pretty even with her facial expression of gloom. Her sisters didn't cry as much as she had, which had made her credit scolding from some of the sympathizers.

"Uju, aren't you ashame that you're crying while your younger ones are watching", they teased.

Meanwhile, Madueke has been making further plan to take over what belongs to his brother, not minding whoever it may hurt.
Madueke had eight children whom he had had from three different women, he lived an uncultured life. Feeling of his presence was revulsive to many, he had bad manners of approach, and that is one of the reasons he had never been awarded a title which he long yearned for.
His late brother unlike him, was a kind hearted, humble and courageous man, he made apologies on behalf of his brother when he offends as somebody as usual. Madueke will never in his life say sorry to anyone, you can go to hell if you wish, he may say in his mind.
The death of Ichie Ararume came as a great shocker to the hearing of the villagers, people believed that the death wasn't natural but hadn't back up their claims. The late Ararume was coming from a town hall meeting and on his way back home when he started vomiting strange objects, he managed to get home, putting hands in his chest, he threw up more and then he gave up. His death was indeed painful to the entire village, he was given a befitting burial where many weep in sorrow.
But since Ararume's death, Madueke has been in strong contention with Ochibiaram over the ownership of Ararume's property but she had had the courage to defend her right over husband's property.
Madueke has in different occasion used his wives as a weapon in an attempt to smear her.

Nwabiala, his first wife dissociated herself from such plot which she termed as 'inhuman practice' and that made her won hate from her husband and her rivals, her husband had in some occasion threatened to throw her out and send her to her father's house but Nwabiala was a very important woman to him as she was more cultured and mannered than Ahurone and Mbiaka, his second and third wives respectively, and was the mother to three of his eldest son. Little wonder why he could just end all his rantings with empty threats but not act against her.
She had warned her sons against malevolence to their fellow human, but only Okala her second son that has adhered strictly to this warnings. Madueke on the other hand had also threatened to disinherit him, but he didn't care.
He had hated his father's attitude towards people and that had brought bad names to him. He had wish on some occasions that he had a better father, and had prayed to be reincarnated into a godly family headed by a responsible father like the late Ichie Ararume.

On the other hand, Nwona and Ihuchi, his brothers, followed the footsteps of their father.
Their father has promised them all Ararume's property which had build the zeal in them to oppress according to their father's directives.

This is an example,the villagers were mourning with Uju then it switch to Madueke who was Scheming and doing flashback then switch to Nwabiala then to Okala.
Am sorry for the quote.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 3:08pm On Mar 17, 2013
luvmijeje:

This is an example,the villagers were mourning with Uju then it switch to Madueke who was Scheming and doing flashback then switch to Nwabiala then to Okala.
Am sorry for the quote.
You don't really have to say you are sorry. I'm not writing this for myself. It's for the reader's pleasure. I'll try to fix the skipped somewhere.
Thanks for the correction BTW.
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 4:46pm On Mar 17, 2013
Dis work go make sense o
Re: Prisoners Of War by luvmijeje(f): 5:32pm On Mar 17, 2013
Eze Promoe:
You don't really have to say you are sorry. I'm not writing this for myself. It's for the reader's pleasure. I'll try to fix the skipped somewhere.
Thanks for the correction BTW.

You are welcome.
Re: Prisoners Of War by oyestephen(m): 7:55pm On Mar 17, 2013
Following with rapt attention
Re: Prisoners Of War by FoxyUltimate(m): 9:50am On Mar 18, 2013
Where is the young man na.... Eze... Biko bia
Re: Prisoners Of War by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 18, 2013
Just saw this,and u re making sense, oya continue sharpaly
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 2:33pm On Mar 18, 2013
Thanks for your comment. I'm updating this evening.
I want to make a lenghty update whereas na mobile tinz for now.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 3:57pm On Mar 18, 2013
Uju and her sisters were all together in their home. For the first time for a while, they were idle in a blessed Ife-Eke morning, while others where invested in the soil to make a living out of it. If there was to be a period ov season to lazy about, it was definitely not the Ife-eke season. In Umudioga village, the inhabitants there were majorly farmers and would not be caught idle except the were disabled. In fact, the widely held belief was that everyone must reap what he sows. The was a popular statement when sounding a note of warning to recalcitrant people but In the case it wasn't but could be interpreted to be when it really is literally. Uju and her sisters really had many things to worry about, Madueke, their father's brother had really made life a living held for them. Them weren't allowed to a source of livelihood while there only source of livelihood through farming was taken from them. Uju would loathe Madueke for this.

"Why won't this devil give us breathing space", that was the thought that ran across Uju's bilious mind. She rarely do feel this bitter towards people but Madueke left her with no choice. His existence posed a big threat to their well being, they hardly fed from what was theirs.

Uju walked close to the raffia window, stretched her slender arms to reach for the window lock. The window was almost falling off, its holds have been weakened by the mischievous termites. The last time the windows were repaired was long before their father's death. Not only that, they also had to manage under the leaking roof, but all they could do was just move from the position of the leakage and place a jar there to contain the cascading water. She focused her gaze absent mindedly on the road path and the birds that perched on the soil picking seeds that fell from the sowers baskets. Her mind was restored as she saw what alarmed her.

"Oh no!" she screamed to the utmost amazement of passers-by.

"What's it, Uju," Ulumma who was startled by her screaming asked curiously.

"They've harvested all our crops, were we planted the yams beside that udara tree." Uju said pointing to the spot.

"Madueke, right? Ulumma said biting her lips.

"It must be him. I saw Akwanwa walking out of our farm." Akwanwa was Madueke's daughter born to him as the only daughter of Nwabiala. She and Uju shared so many similiarities from beauty to wisdom to good composure. She was the type that would do all she could to avoid getting into trouble just like Uju. Villagers had many things to say about their this amazing similiarities, not to add that these two were born on the same day.

Ulumma, always wanting to fight anyone even her elders, flared up in rage on hearing that Akwanwa had stepped into their farm to harvest from. Her anger was not just with Akwanwa but also Uju whose act she considered cowardly for not taking immediate action. How could her agemate come in and intimidate her and all she could do was scream like a toddler, she almost said. If she had been a bit calm she would have seen that Akwanwa was only doing her father's bidding and she wasn't seeking a fight like it seemed to her. Ulumma chased Akwanwa until she had caught up with her when she was almost close to her father's compound.

"Stop there, you mischievous ripper, you want to reap were you didn't sow, right? " she yelled in apoplectic rage.

"Were you talking to me" Akwanwa said as she twisted her body gracefully to the bilious tone of Ulumma's voice.

"Yes, i'm talking to the thief that just walked into someone's farm and harvested what someone toiled for days to plant."

"And you know i'm your elder, so you don't talk to me anyhow, i could be older than Uju." Akwanwa knew deep down her that she was wrong but she needed to put up that much needed defence to soothe her ego.

"Hahahaha, she laughed hysterically. "Oh, i now see elder and you think you can use that to show an act of nuisance on my father's land, eh kwa! You'll have to beat me today and if you win you can go with the yams."

Ulumma moved one leg frontward and the other a bit backward, showing readiness to fight when the need arises.

"Please please please, i don't want your problems now, what do you want from me? ", Akwanwa said in a consenting voice.

"Very good!" Ulumma said panting. "Now keep that yam on my feet before i blink my eyes twice."

Akwanwa wanted to object but she yielded reluctantly just to avoid a fight which she hated very much especially when it has to do with trivial issues as such. She felt that she might be wrong though because the yam wasn't theirs afterall, she just ran an errand for her blind father. What would she do other than to narrate all that happened to her father;

"Because she started growing breästs yesterday and she thinks she's now woman enough to challenge 'okpotokpo ajo anu', he grimaced. "Go inside, i know what to do." he said.

A hard knock fell on Uju's door on an early Afor morning, the loudness and the aggressiveness of the knock almost scared Uju. It didn't seem like she was going to open that anyway, it may be dangerous for her and her sisters. The knock on the door was beoming more ferocious leaving her at the mercy of her fear. She gave her decision not to open the door a second thought seeing that the door could be broken if more of such ferocity is applied on it.

"Who's there?" she asked almost shivering.

"You're left with no option but to open this door and come with us." the hoarse voice said from behind in a manner that sent cold sensations down their spines.

With her wobbling hands, she opened the door gently expecting a violent approach from those behind the door. Truly she had no option than to open the door because those behind it were able-bodied men with chests as though they were made with iron. They were the palace guards truely prepared to hunt down any defiant person, human or spirit. They bore talismans with their them in preparation to repel any attack from spirit beings. Definitely they were wrongly informed about Uju and her sisters.

"Where are your fellow witch sisters?" another asked yet with a fright inducing voice.

"Please, i beg you in the name of our ancestors, we're not witches." Uju pleaded.
While the words were still in her mouth, the other men went in and forcefully carried the young girls on their shoulders and matched to the palace.

While Uju and her sisters sat under the sun dejected with their hands and legs bound together, the council of nd'ichie was put in discord over issues. Those who were friends with the late Ararume insisted that the decision to lynch the alleged witches be reversed.

"You know how that man Madueke have wanted all his brother's family eliminated so he could have everything to himself." Ochiora began.

"Please here is not a place for drunkeness," one of the ichie in the opposing side put in, "if you don't have anything reasonable to say you better shut up. Can't you differentiate between a palace and a palmwine joint?"

"Remember, Ararume was one of us, and we can't wipe out all his lineage just for some accusations without proof and may I remind you that the gods may not forgive us for this."

"Then the gods will be happy if the witches eliminates us all, isn't it?"

"I know they're not. There must be a mistake somewhere."

"Then can you tell me what could have being responsible for Ararume's mysterious death?"

"Ararume died a natural death, stop looking for every reason to shed innocent blood."

"These girls are evil and we must do to them what we do to witches. We must not let witches abound in this kingdom."

"I can see you've been brainwashed even through the way you talk but nevertheless, I wash my hand in innocence, the repercussions that might follow after this act shall not live with and my lineage." Ochiora finally said this when he saw that his couldn't defeat the opinion of the others. So he left the palace together with Nwakamma and Eriobu who were on his side.

Igwe Kalu was now confuse now on whose opinion to go with. As long as he respected Ochiora, he also had regard for Memkpa one of the opposing sides.
He was interrupted by the revulsive sight of Omemgbe entering the palace from nowhere, they were surprised to see him after they had rejected him and sent him to exile after holding him accountable for the Ogbunuguru pestilence that befell them.

"No, you're embarking on a wrong journey," screamed Omemgbe, "you're provoking the gods."

"Omemgbe shut up," one of the ichie's barked at him, "i stopped believing your tricks ever since that pestilence occured, your misinformations shows how you were hell bent at wiping us all from the surface of this earth so that you can have a kingdom of yours."

"Watch your tongue, man," Omemgbe reacted angrily to these allegations.

"Its okay," Igwe Kalu finally spoke, "Omemgbe you know your relevance to this kingdom is history, and I know you know as well that your services are not needed in this palace or anywhere in this kingdom."

"I apologize but I know I've conveyed my message."
Omemgbe bowed his head and moved backwards from the kings palace.
Re: Prisoners Of War by mabebe1(f): 9:44pm On Mar 18, 2013
very nice,wen r we xpectin d rest
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 7:55am On Mar 19, 2013
Very soon smiley
Re: Prisoners Of War by FoxyUltimate(m): 8:08am On Mar 19, 2013
Eze Promoe: Very soon smiley

Your very soon should be now oooo...
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:14am On Mar 19, 2013
GLOSSARY

Ife-Eke: The third month of the year which falls between April 15th and May 12th in the Gregorian calendar, the month is known as the month of hunger.

Afor: The third market day of the week.
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 3:39pm On Mar 19, 2013
Nna dis story dikwa vry sweet o....bia nwokem come and continue na
Re: Prisoners Of War by luvmijeje(f): 6:31pm On Mar 19, 2013
ehnnnn,this called writing.Eze well done,it is truely in u.
But u are still not introducing ur characters,for instance I would have love u to introduce the chief opposition and supporter and tell us the reason behind their actions.I luv the way u introduce Omemgbe.
Also let's know the mood the characters are-pensive,angry,frighten,shaking,crying,serious,screaming etc.
But overally,there was a drastic improvement.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 11:34pm On May 13, 2013
Good evening ladies and gentlemen, followers of this thread.
I don't know how to start apologizing for keeping you waiting for this long.
My PC broke down and i've been on mobile since then.
Please forgive me. If you've lost interest please humbly start it from the begining cheesy
The later updates of this story promises to be filled with suspense, thrill, intriguing, and other flavour that will get you glued and asking for more.
Sit and chill as an update would be coming tomorrow.

Thanks.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 11:48pm On May 13, 2013
Special thanks to all followers of this thread; Wazobia+, Africa Magic, Foxy Ultimate, luvmijeje, sambroose, oyestephen, Damex333, mabebe1 etc, and also to the yet-to-be followers and also the guests. Because this ministry shall grow and move to the permanent site.
Someone say AMEN! grin
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:26pm On May 14, 2013
Update loading.......
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:37pm On May 14, 2013
[size=14pt]4 [/size]

The day was so bright up in the sky yet threats of rainstorms beclouded Umudioga. The birds tweeted harmoniously, in lyrics known only by them. Their tweets of the birds in chorus began diminishing gradually until it couldn't be heard anymore. There could be only a reason for that, and of course, the thick cloud couldn't hold its content any longer, it has began to empty it on the earth's surface.

The land of Umudioga has been blessed that many generations haven't experienced draught, the rain always meet up with its responsibility. But everything with pros must also have cons.
Erosion was one of them, it had affected many, both the ruling class and the ordinary citizens. This disaster had struck the palace in two different occasions which had prompted its relocation twice (though not during the reign of Kalu). The rain had begun to get some worried as it had bitten the soil aggressively for several hours, some had the newly cultivated crops destroyed by the downpour. Myth mongers had begun to tell whatever they bore in mind in connection to the heavy downpour.
Later, the rain had begun subsiding and had rendered many idle for that day, the cold was so immense and the way had being paved way for what was refered to as 'witch mosquito' by its victims.

Ifenna, Kalu's son, had been indoors all these while, that had been his way, albeit fostered by his parents. He was rarely allowed to go out of the palace without guards. He had to put a stop to this, but how? It wouldn't be suprising if he's not known by most of the villagers especially children.
As a lone prince, he grew with the mentality that other people who were not scion of royalty were inferior to him.
But could he display his superiority at the comfort of his home, where virtually everything is done for him? He had come of age, and was now matured to make decisions of his own. Maybe this could be his opportunity to break away from his mother's stronghold, that has kept him in his sedentary routine. He only moved out only during festive periods, but strictly under the watch of citadel of guards, or when he went with his mother on rare occasions, to Amihie, his maternal home to see his grandfather who's also Igwe of Amihie, he was a very wealthy man.
He had gotten tired of this, hence he pull the guts to walk to his mother.

"Nnem, i want to speak to you" he muttered.

"Speak on"

"Nne, i want to go to Amihie alone" he said unsure of what she had in mind. His guess was as right, she ruled out his requests as usual.

"You see", she continued as she took her seat on the stool and signaled her guards to leave,
"You're a lone prince and the adversaries know this and they're seeking for any given opportunity to kill you and ascend the throne."

Same old tales of the adversaries. He wanted to ask who were they but it was just pointless asking because she would recycle those stale tales of adversaries, he put up a look of revulsion and zoomed off the infernal presence of his mother and went and sat beside a defunct well, which was used by his ancestors to draw water from, and later, when the well dried, it was used as a place for putting captives who rebelled against authorities. Igwe Kalu deemed it inhumane to continue with this kind of punishment, so he built a prison house not too far from the spot.
Ifenna took time to ponder about his life as a lone prince, his father had once narrated to him how he had lost his two sons, his missing brothers, in that unforgettable pestilence of all time.
Oh my brothers, he felt an inadvertent wriggle of muscles in his thigh, his thoughts was altered by human voices, precisely that of two young adolescent ladies, which looked like it was coming from the pit initially, one voice sounded melodious, and sounded like the owner of the voice was singing even though she was talking, the other was not bad either, the noise grew louder as some of the words sounded clearer, he could now trace where it was coming from.
Definitely it wasn't from the pit but from the prison house, he drew nearer to catch every glimpse of the conversation.

"If we die then its not bad, we will re-unite with mama and papa and our brothers to make another happy families in a new world." that melodious voice sounded.

"And who tells you i'm interested in such re-union. if you don't want to live, i want to, while not take the blame all on yourself and let them free us. I love to live." the other countered

"Shhhh, do you know you're shouting? Bring down your voice, they may overhear us and you know what that means for us."

Going to die? Who was going to die? It shouldn't be someone endowed with such angelic voice.
He stepped closer to hear more of their conversation.

"I'm sorry adannem but i don't want to die, not the painful one we're about to face."

"And would you rather love to live and see us die so that you can live alone?" that melodious voice said angrily to her almost in tears.

"I'm sorry adannem," the other was apologizing to her sister also in tears.

Ifenna got carried away that he never knew when he stumbled on a big stone, that saw him fell noisely to his feet, and hit his left hip on the door path to the entrance of the prison yard. It hurt him but he managed to get on his feet, luckily there was no guard that came around. The girls now knew someone have been eavesdropping, their heart melted when they saw it was Ifenna, Igwe Kalu's son who have been eavesdropping.

"I assure you that you aren't going to die," he said as he hopped to where they were trying so hard to conceal his pain, "something tells me you're innocent of all the accusations laid against you."

The girls were surprised at his words but could all these change their fate.
As Ifenna drew closer, he was moved to his feet as he approach not two but three pretty damsels, the third one was much younger. The two who were awake were definitely the ones he have been hearing their voice, he longed to know who in particular owned that melodious voice, he had expected it to be Ulumma's being the younger one awake. He initiated a talk that could lead to conversation amongst them.

"Why are you here", he asked even though he felt in his heart that he'd asked a stupid question.

"Its my uncle that is accusing us of witchcraft", Ulumma answered boldly but not looking his face.
Not this voice.
He wondered whether it was the youngest who was asleep that could own such melodious voice. The other one awake looked older than the one that just spoke and their possibility of her voice being older.
Uju kept watching as her sister conversed with the prince. She wondered how so kind and polite a prince could be.
Ifenna squat beside Uju and rubbed her smooth cheek with smiles, he untied the bound tied round their wrists and ankles, he felt her smooth and slender arms.

"You're not saying anything?" he asked Uju suspecting she could own the voice.

Uju was still mute, unsure of what to say to him.

"You're the daughter of who?" he asked.

"Ichie Ararume," she said with diffident smile.
He dilated his eyes in amazement, he had seen the owner of that captivating voice, he tried to prolong their conversation to hear more of her enchanting voice.

"Wait. Did you said 'ichie' just now," he said as he drew closer to sit on the bare floor beside Uju. She was suprised to see a prince sitting on the floor for the first time in her life. She was begining to fidget inadvertently as if a god had come to have breakfast with her.

"Yes, I did." she muttered coldly.

"Where is he that he would allow you to suffer like this?"

"Oh sorry i did skipped a title from his name."

"And what title is that?"

"Late," she said bitterly in tears.

"No don't." he said as he crossed his hand round her and caressed her like a mother to a crying baby, "You don't have to but your mother is suppose to be here for you in stead of your father."

Uju broke into tears that she couldn't speak any longer.

"She too is dead." Ulumma answered him on her behalf. All her mind was to draw sympathy from him, maybe through him, the king could change his mind and reverse their punishment.

"I show my sincere sympathy for everything that has happened." he said.
The way he spoke was strongly reminiscent of one of her brothers whom she lost to the pestilence.
Ulumma was angry that Uju wasn't mentioning anything pertaining to their freedom. She had sensed some kind of move made by him which was quite deeper than that of sympathy. She never wanted to guess it wrong, so she cut in.

"If you really feel our pains, then do something to get us out of here," Ulumma finally broke the silence.

"Ulumma!" Uju exclaimed amidst tears.

"What is it" Ulumma said stubbornly.

"Its alright, my dear." he intervened, "i know what to do. But you have to do what i'll ask you to do codedly."
Their eyes were wide open, eager to know what the task may be. Ifenna walked through the back door and walked majestically to the guards, as if he was coming from the palace.

"Hey," he commanded one of them, "go to Ichie Memkpa's house and tell him i'll be visiting today". He was never going to visit the place but just to make sure he kept him off guard.
"You," he said to the one remaining on guard, "go to one of the maidens in the farm and tell them to bring back a bigger quantity of firewood incase it rains tomorrow."
His message was pointless but he had a reason which is to keep all of them off guard. The guard felt like the prince was ignorant of the prisoners.

"Please i'll go after my colleague is back, i'm the only one on guard", he said.

"Are you flouting my order?" he said angrily.

"No my prince, but you know it's not right to leave here unguarded".

"Go, i'll take care of it." the guard was still reluctant.

"GO!" he shouted at the top of his voice and the guard zoomed off.
He went back into the prison house and signalled the girls to come out, they were shaky but he drew them out and said to them,
"Go in peace and be fast, and also remember to avoid passing through Ichie Memkpa's place, do you get me?"
They nodded.
"And also remember not to leave Umudioga without my notice, do you get me?"
They nodded again.
"Now go fast and don't look back."
They walked fast out of his presence.
WHAT A PRINCE!
Re: Prisoners Of War by oyestephen(m): 7:01pm On May 14, 2013
Eze!!! Welcome back
A prince putting himself in trouble...hmm
D next time u run away eh......
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:26pm On May 14, 2013
oyestephen: Eze!!! Welcome back
A prince putting himself in trouble...hmm
D next time u run away eh......
Thank you very much, oyestephen. I've come to stay cool
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:28pm On May 14, 2013
Next update loading.......
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:34pm On May 14, 2013
[size=14pt]5 [/size]

Ichie Ararume's compound had taken a new look, Uju had expected the entirety of her father's compound to be overridden by weeds, but it was very tidy and serene, which kept her wondering who could be the occupants of the house. Standing at a distance won't give answer to the numerous questions going through her mind but she had to move into the house to see for herself. She was with Ulumma and Oby whom also were not devoid of the same state of perplexity. Ulumma beckoned on Uju to lead the way into the hut to see what the change of environment could be all about.
They were shocked to their feet to see Onyema, Madueke's third son lying peacefully on the bamboo bed, he has gone so deep in sleep that he didn't shake amidst the whispers that Uju and Ulumma exchanged. This was one of the problem his father had with him right from childhood, he had warn him severally that a man doesn't sleep like a baby. In some cases, he used his brothers to make example but could he be blamed? Afterall there is a popular saying that, "two are born of the same mother but not created by one god."
Uju was surprised that he didn't wake amidst all the noise but her surprises grew when she didn't sensed any of their belongings around. She almost screamed but she thought it sane to wake the lad who was far gone into dreamland to ask some questions. Ulumma suggested a hard knock and probably a jar of water to bring him back to the real world but Uju ruled out such demand as it would not only cause a fight but to give Madueke another reason to forward another allegation to the king, and maybe send them back to that dungeon with a fiercer sentence. They were startled by a scream of "Amadioha" which was made by Mgborie who was troublesome as Ulumma, she was the daughter of Ahurone, Madueke's second wife. Uju couldn't help Ulumma and Mgborie exchange of abuse, indeed they fit each other, they were mate born with two weeks difference to Mgborie's favour.
This time around the sleeping lad was awoken by what had already grown into a physical clash while Uju tried her best to calm it down but fell helpless as Ulumma clenched her opponent's fists and and brushed her heel to her dramatic fall, but she regained her step and rose to her feet and dashed a blow to her graceful chin. That was hurting but she wouldn't let that subside, she wrapped her fingers tightly to let out a reprisal blow which hit Onyema who came in between them. He had been tactically enjoying the combat. He cared less about what he saw as a clash between the daughter of his mother's rival and that of his father's rival. What would he gain from seperating enemies at war. He was just moved to seperate duel because of Uju's barked at his nonchalance, which he reluctantly yielded to before he had encountered a strike from an infuriated tigress that hit him in his cheek just below his left eye. He would have avoided this ugly phase of the incident if he had made move to stop the fight when it hadn't escalated. He was capable of it having the advantage of being a man and also much older than the two. His newly acquired injury was so painful that his two eyes was shut and could not see the scene again.
Ulumma was now begining to have an iota of regret having hitten the wrong target, she bent towards him in remorse.
Mgborie could not help but take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to give her opponent the final beating.
She speeded towards her opponent, Uju saw it coming and crossed her leg against her as she fell on Ulumma instead of her initial plan, Uju never wanted to but hoped whatever may be the result of her action, would be understood to whom it may concern. Yes, she was going to save her sister from her opponent's subtle approach.
Ulumma turned with graceful pace to grab her opponent's fist with one hand and lift her from her groin and brushing her feet at close interval. Mgborie crashed on the floor rolling towards the doorstep, also hitting her face on the hard surface of the floor.
Ahurone, Mgborie's mother came in sight shortly, she seemed to have seen the ugly fall of her daughter.
She couldn't believe what her eyes had seen from the expression of her mouth opened wide. She pounced on Ulumma at the moment, this time together with Uju who was trying hard to regain strenght from the little injury.

"Witches o, you want to kill my own daughter, it will not work o." she raved.

Oby, without being told knew that this could result to something more serious, she was a kind of girl that avoided troubles. She was conscious of her skin that she couldn't stand the sight of bruise on her body. She had shifted backwards to view the duel at a distance, knowing fully well that her little strenght will do nothing to stop them, she was watching intently at her sister backing her to win the fight.
Her next line of action was to call a mediator to restore peace, she had one in mind.
The Prince.

There was little misunderstanding between Ifenna and his parents not long after the drama at the prison house.
Ifenna had tried all he could to convince his father to despise Madueke's allegation, that it was just an embellished tale.

"Then who made Madueke blind? You?" his mother spat angrily.

"Madueke is very evil and no surprise, he might have gone an extra mile for his selfish interest" he said insouciantly.

"Watch your tongue, son," Igwe Kalu cut biliously.

"Father, why not check these girls out, they're harmless, they can't hurt a fly."

"You now sound like you've been having an affair with one of them," his mother said suspiciously.

"Mother" he exclaimed angrily.

"Yes, you've been going their for quite some days, only the gods know how she charmed you and made you lose you senses."

"Thanks to your attitude this evening when i told you i wanted to go to Amihie, i would have been in this palace not knowing that goddesses would have been mistakened for witches."

"Goddesses!" she shrugged giving the "i told you" gesture to her husband.
Igwe Kalu chuckled making Ifenna wonder what amused him.

"You said you wanted to go to Amihie, right?" he asked with a smile.

"Yes", Ifenna answered.

"You'll go and i'll give you some message for your grandfather."

"Are you now sending me to Amihie now, so that you can mistreat the girls."

"Why, when you already told us indirectly that you've been making passes at her" he joked.

"Stop that, i don't like it."

"Admit it."

His mother grimaced in revulsion, it seemed she took offence in the joke her husband made but she didn't show it, but she did that indirectly and beckoned on her husband and son to go to bed.
They all went to bed, but Ifenna was still awake thinking of what might probably happen to those girls when he goes to Amihie, he didn't trust the look on his father's face even when he laughed.
He sneaked out of his bed to one of the room to one of the slave girls and sent her on an errand to Uju.

"Tell her to leave this village, first thing tomorrow morning, did you get me?" he instructed.
She nodded but didn't convey the message for fear of his mother getting to know about it.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 8:37pm On May 14, 2013
Good evening, honourable viewers. Thanks for staying glued.
See you tomorrow!
Re: Prisoners Of War by Nobody: 12:15am On May 15, 2013
Madueke looks lyk someone i can remove his balls to feed the vultures of the sky. Cos he is seriously annoying me, he wan destroy him brother family finish abi?
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 4:00am On May 15, 2013
Damex333: Madueke looks lyk someone i can remove his balls to feed the vultures of the sky. Cos he is seriously annoying me, he wan destroy him brother family finish abi?
Like ehn grin
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 10:05am On May 15, 2013
Dear viewers and trying all i can to increase your addiction to this story by giving 3 uploads per day, one morning, one afternoon and one evening.
We're improving cheesy
Re: Prisoners Of War by SeunPlus(f): 12:35pm On May 15, 2013
Eze Promoe, i love your story, especially how you tell the stories of those three girls.
I never knew you write undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

"I Love Macmillian Books" / Cold / Famous Books, Countries That Banned Them And Why It Was Banned.- Tapread.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.