Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,823 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Police Brutality (fiction) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Police Brutality (fiction) (2444 Views)

Police Brutality (FICTION) / Untitled Fiction / Human Rights Book Project On Police Brutality In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Brutality (fiction) by Mobsync(m): 8:50am On Feb 26, 2013
He ran as fast as his legs could carry him, glancing back periodically to see the bunch of AK47 welding mobile policemen gaining on him. The yellow helmet which he wore alongside his thick sweater and black pair of handgloves gave him off as a commercial motorcyclist

A young female fruit hawker of about sixteen let out a loud howl as one of the policemen pushed her over, causing her to fall along with her wares on the expressway. She fell hitting the hard coal tar road with her buttocks as the unconcerned policemen ran past. The apples, oranges and mangoes which she hawked rolled onto the express and got squashed by over-speeding drivers- Who cares?

The motorcyclist glanced back again and ducked in time to avoid being hit by a rock 'missile' hauled at him by one of the cops
"Stop or I shoot, stop or I shoot", one of the mobile police-officers shouted in a local accent as he ran , aiming his Kalashnikov rifle at the motorcyclist

Passers-by, traders and residents looked towards the direction the 'order' had come from and all hell was let loose at the sight of a policeman aiming a rifle at 'God knows who'. Commotion set in as people ran helter-skelter, mothers shouted in fear as they dragged their children into their houses from the balconies, traders ran into their shops and quickly banged the doors behind them. Bus drivers and 'conductors' at a nearby park hurriedly lied under their buses and began praying feverently while the roadside hawkers abandoned their wares with some fleeing into nearby shrubs while others decided the gutter was a safer haven. Some women and children could be seen running into the horrible smelling and unkempt public toilets which they previously dared due to the stench, maggots, flies and rodents which overran it

"Where're all these people coming from?", a big fat ugly-looking rat seemed to ask as it dashed through the 'crowd' of feet which stamped the ground profusely in the commotion and made its way into its hole in a corner. Apparently, it wasn't used to getting much visitors

A football match had been abandoned and playing field had suddenly become empty. The only tell-tale signs that a football match had been in progress earlier on were the clothes, bags, socks and boots which laid on the field- all abandoned. The football itself, which possession had been fought for by twenty-two agile men some few seconds ago simply laid by a goalpost with no player or spectator in view.
Within seconds, the entire vicinity had been abandoned, all in the bid to avoid a possible 'stray' bullet from the muzzle of the rifle of a trigger happy policeman

Luckily, the policeman didn't pull the trigger and the motorcyclist's life would have been saved but unfortunately for the motorcyclist, fate would always have its way; "To whom death is decreed, death is decreed"- Period. He blindedly dashed across the expressway all in a bid to avoid a possible barrage of hot lead from the rusty Avtomat Kalashnikova rifle which had probably been manufactured when his great grand-father's mother was still soiling nappies

An articulated lorry, fully loaded with cement, with the driver unaware of the happenings hit the motorcyclist sending him more than twelve feet into the air before running over his possibly lifeless body as it touched the ground

"Thank God say no be me kill am", the mobile policeman who had earlier aimed his rifle at the motorcyclist shouted in enthusiasm as he alongside his "cohorts" grabbed the tipper driver and began accusing him of murder

An old woman immediately passed out atthe gory sight as traders, passers-by and residents peered at the road from their hideouts to see the lifeless, decimated body of the motorcyclist on the expressway. The articulated lorry remained on the road with its engine still running as the mobile policemen dragged away the driver who had began pleading for leniency
Some women suddenly began wailing in a distance while others simply hissed. The men shook their heads in pity as children began cursing the policemen loudly. The scenario brought to the fore once again, the ever-rising tales of police brutality.
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by jagabanban: 12:01pm On Feb 26, 2013
"Thank God say no be me kill am", the mobile policeman who had earlier aimed his rifle at the motorcyclist shouted in enthusiasm as he alongside his "cohorts" grabbed the tipper driver and began accusing him of murder

The above statement typifies the thinking of the average policeman. While the story may be fictional, it clearly lends some credence to the widely condemned albeit rampant cases of police brutality.

Good writing!
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by Mobsync(m): 12:30pm On Feb 26, 2013
jagabanban: "Thank God say no be me kill am", the mobile policeman who had earlier aimed his rifle at the motorcyclist shouted in enthusiasm as he alongside his "cohorts" grabbed the tipper driver and began accusing him of murder

The above statement typifies the thinking of the average policeman. While the story may be fictional, it clearly lends some credence to the widely condemned albeit rampant cases of police brutality.

Good writing!

thanks, that's how most policemen behave. If u see how they used to chase commercial motorcyclists up and down in lag b4 Fashola sent those motorcyclists away from major highways u go fear, now it has even gotten worse. They arrest and extort motorcyclists whether or not they're plying the approved routes.
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by Mobsync(m): 4:27pm On Feb 28, 2013
This is so unfair, how can they push you to page 2?:/ Oya, go back 2 page 1. U must not die ooo, u must not die, u're a product of my effort and head or tail, u must grace front pagecheesycheesycheesy
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by Mobsync(m): 8:07pm On Mar 03, 2013
Will this one die too? No comments? :/
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by Mobsync(m): 11:08pm On Mar 06, 2013
:/
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by sambroose(m): 12:32pm On Mar 07, 2013
sowi bro...i saw ur complain,i luv ur story...nice one,kip d updating comin bro
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by Mobsync(m): 10:10pm On Mar 07, 2013
sambroose: sowi bro...i saw ur complain,i luv ur story...nice one,kip d updating comin bro

Thankssmileysmileywink
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by Mobsync(m): 9:12am On Mar 12, 2013
smiley
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by Mobsync(m): 12:00am On Apr 13, 2013
Police brutality. Read and rate, fellas wink
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by armadeo(m): 4:33am On Apr 13, 2013
Interesting. I would advice u continue ur piece cos a single story is unlikely to garner comments however a more lenghty one wil snare readers particularly if its interesting.
All the best.
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by Mobsync(m): 6:45am On Apr 13, 2013
armadeo: Interesting. I would advice u continue ur piece cos a single story is unlikely to garner comments however a more lenghty one wil snare readers particularly if its interesting.
All the best.

Actually, it's just a one off article. It has no continuation.
Re: Police Brutality (fiction) by Mobsync(m): 1:27pm On Apr 27, 2013
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

(1) (Reply)

Petals Of Rose / The Nigerian Afro Ninja / Pls I Need Help On Poetic Devices Of This Poem ...... Thanks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.