Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? (11895 Views)

Difference Between A Business Name And Limited Company (cac-wise) / Step By Step Guide On How To Register Your Business Name With The CAC / CAC Liquidates 30 Wonder Banks, As Depositors May Lose N106bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by aieromon(m): 3:28pm On Mar 07, 2013
Is the reallocation of business name done after the name search has been conducted or after issuance of certificate of incorporation

Once you've been given the go ahead for a name,go ahead with documentation as soon as possible. I don't think the business name with an assigned RC number can be reallocated to any other person.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 07, 2013
I still paid #500 naira yesterday at CAC's office in owerri for a business name availability and i was asked to check by next week Friday and i asked if they can check it right away but they said no that i should check by next week Friday.
they may be automated but i wonder why subjecting me to repeat a visit by Friday just to know if the name is available when they can easily do that at the spot after all i have paid them for that purpose and i don't reside in that state just came for a training so i have to send some1 to go there by Friday again.

if they are automated then why taking delight in stressing Nigerians?

Drunk:
Their Searches are all automated mate...please check your facts well.

2 Likes

Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Drunk: 4:03pm On Mar 07, 2013
gisoj:
To open a bank account with your business name you need to get to Federal inland revenue service close to your address and apply for Tax identification number(TIN)then go to a bank of your choice. Without the TIN you cannot open a bank account. Other requirements to open the account include your business name certificate plus the form attached to it, money, your information etc.
It's advisable to get the TIN like you mentioned but most banks don't have that as a major requirement to have an account opened with a Business Name. Basically, they might request for Certificates, ID's, utility bill and proof of business location
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Drunk: 4:11pm On Mar 07, 2013
byrron: I still paid #500 naira yesterday at CAC's office in owerri for a business name availability and i was asked to check by next week Friday and i asked if they can check it right away but they said no that i should check by next week Friday.
they may be automated but i wonder why subjecting me to repeat a visit by Friday just to know if the name is available when they can easily do that at the spot after all i have paid them for that purpose and i don't reside in that state just came for a training so i have to send some1 to go there by Friday again.

if they are automated then why taking delight in stressing Nigerians?

My brother, that is the Nigerian factor of most of our government owned/run organization. Normally the search can be done almost "immediately" that's if the network connectivity is in top speed and if not, it might take couple of hours. However, most times some people are just too lazy at doing the job they are being paid for to do because it's just a single search and would want to accumulate the search requests and have them all done at once. That is the reason for their 1 week duration. Be observant of the the print out copy of confirmation of availability they would give you, you would notice at the bottom and top of the page that it was printed from an online web application. Talking about cost, shouldn't search be N200? Well, maybe it's being reviewed upwards.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by tripledub: 4:20pm On Mar 07, 2013
D fee for a business name varies depending on the type of business u r doing. My uncle and his friend went to the cac benin branch to register a business name without a lawyer. They r into installations of electric gates with remote control and their name is Maximum Security Systems. They said only N7000. No more, No less...
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by ICEBREAKERS: 4:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
Must I use money to open a business acct?
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by gisoj: 4:37pm On Mar 07, 2013
Drunk:
It's advisable to get the TIN like you mentioned but most banks don't have that as a major requirement to have an account opened with a Business Name. Basically, they might request for Certificates, ID's, utility bill and proof of business location
The central bank has made it compulsory for all Nigerian banks to demand for TIN before opening a company account. There is no bank that will open a company account for you without TIN. I know this when i wanted to open my company account recently all the banks i went demanded for it. In Gtbank they even showed me the circular from CBN .But getting the TIN is very easy and it's free.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by gisoj: 4:41pm On Mar 07, 2013
Drunk:
My brother, that is the Nigerian factor of most of our government owned/run organization. Normally the search can be done almost "immediately" that's if the network connectivity is in top speed and if not, it might take couple of hours. However, most times some people are just too lazy at doing the job they are being paid for to do because it's just a single search and would want to accumulate the search requests and have them all done at once. That is the reason for their 1 week duration. Be observant of the the print out copy of confirmation of availability they would give you, you would notice at the bottom and top of the page that it was printed from an online web application. Talking about cost, shouldn't search be N200? Well, maybe it's being reviewed upwards.
You are very right and i agree with you completely. The search is now 500 naira from late December 2012.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Denn(m): 4:42pm On Mar 07, 2013
ICEBREAKERS: Must I use money to open a business acct?

no. i think some banks now accept sand and cement to open accounts...be on the lookout pal
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by ABAboi: 4:45pm On Mar 07, 2013
Online company registration is now available. Visit http://nigeriaformations.com
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Abbott(m): 5:37pm On Mar 07, 2013
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by optionb2(m): 5:43pm On Mar 07, 2013
[b][/b][color=#000000][/color]
pls i need your aid on this issue am having,i ve a small business which am planning to lunch at the end of this month but presently i dont ve cash for CAC registration,also bear in mind that i will be receiving cheque and cash from people as a means of payment for the services i am going to be rendered,so since am yet to register the coy let alone of opening a company bank acct but i ve a current account which i opened with my name,i want to know if i can proceed with the bis using that account as a means of collecting cheque and for the service which we re going to be rendered
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Connoisseur(m): 6:25pm On Mar 07, 2013
In as much as i condemn such act from the cac, i believe no name is already brandable unless its an adaptation of an already existing name. you get a name and then make it a brand. the nairaland, ovation, dangote and all other existing brands werent brandable some few years back, somebody actually worked to make them a brand.
my two cents

Afam4eva: It's not easy to come up with a name. I used to think it was. I've been trying to get a good name for my business for almost two months now but to no avail. Are there professionals who do these things

i was n the dilenma some time ago, i called a friend who knows me very well and asked her opinion. and lo, what seemed hard became very easy, i got an array of personal names to choose from.
You could also do it the dele momodu's way; look at the thesarrus.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Abbott(m): 6:40pm On Mar 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm into technology products eg Web services, inventions etc.

I want a name that's not common but that means something positive. Preferably, a 2 syllable name. I was searching for the name of an animal or plant that has a unique feature that i can use. I don't just want to go for any name but a name that can easily be remembered and will sell itself else i would have joined by Alaba brothers in the way they name their business eg Chymmex enterprises.

Cygnus Technology. It is the name of a star.
Cygnus Ltd.
Cygnus AI Ltd.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by tashanja(m): 7:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
I registered mine last Dec, in less than 2wks in order to beat rumoured pending fee increment by begining of this year (don't know if it happened though).
It was also for 1M shares and costed me 60K, through a lawyer I know who claimed/refused to charge me a single Kobo; he processed it all at CAC Abuja, while I reside in another State, and the name search (even with some rejections) took only one day - we communicated by phone & text msg throughout, while documents for signing were sent to me by courier.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by obicentlis: 8:00pm On Mar 07, 2013
To register a Limited Liability Company is 45k.

@Op, maybe you over stayed the prescribed waiting period bf It was allocated to another person or the person that is handling was not following it up.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by emmatok(m): 9:52pm On Mar 07, 2013
temisafety: How Can You Prevent your chosen business name from being reallocated by the CAC?

I'm almost certain the people at Corporate Affairs Commission are being fraudulent with good/brandable names during name search. In the most recent experience I had with them,
1. We submitted 4 names for search.
2. They claimed 3 were not available but that the 4th one was.
3. We completed different documentations to complete the registration process.
4. CAC gave the go-ahead to publish the organization on a national newspaper and we published.
5. After some months (long after the publication), they told us that that name was no longer available and that we must find another name or add some word to the already approved and published one.
It's disheartening because we worked so had to come up with the names. Besides, we were only expecting to be informed that the registration had been completed after passing the name search stage.
My question is, how can you prevent CAC people from stealing a valuable/brandable name?

Well you have a limited time between name search and full registration.

You must start your full registration 1 week after name search.

Never advertise until you complete the full registration.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by emmatok(m): 9:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
Afam4eva:

I want a name that's not common but that means something positive. Preferably, a 2 syllable name. I was searching for the name of an animal or plant that has a unique feature that i can use. I don't just want to go for any name but a name that can easily be remembered and will sell itself else i would have joined by Alaba brothers in the way they name their business eg Chymmex enterprises.

Go to CAC office in Yaba you will meet recognized agents.

I did my company incorporation within 3weeks with TIN number from FIRS.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by aieromon(m): 9:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
Denn:

no. i think some banks now accept sand and cement to open accounts...be on the lookout pal

That was harsh grin grin
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by free2ryhme: 10:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
Drunk:
Their Searches are all automated mate...please check your facts well.

guy u are wrong .. CAC charge N200 for search and they know they make money thru this dat is y dey wont automate there coy name search
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by emmatok(m): 10:34pm On Mar 07, 2013
free2ryhme:

guy u are wrong .. CAC charge N200 for search and they know they make money thru this dat is y dey wont automate there coy name search

Though they charge N200, but it is automated.

I did my search within 24hours.
That is not possible without automation.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:59pm On Mar 07, 2013
Afam4eva:

I was once in your shoes trying to come up with a name that is cool and also has the domain name still available.
Out of experience, one good way of coming up with a cool name is by understanding and outlining your vision. Next look for words or gorup of words that when they come together they connect with the vision you have for your company. You can use a combination of languages English, french, Greek, spanish etc. bottom line it should sound hip and cool.

For example i perceive you want to go into web and inventing stuff, what do you think of the name "Code-Synergy Inc."

#Matthew briggs.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Afam4eva(m): 11:15pm On Mar 07, 2013
Matthew briggs:

I was once in your shoes trying to come up with a name that is cool and also has the domain name still available.
Out of experience, one good way of coming up with a cool name is by understanding and outlining your vision. Next look for words or gorup of words that when they come together they connect with the vision you have for your company. You can use a combination of languages English, french, Greek, spanish etc. bottom line it should sound hip and cool.

For example i perceive you want to go into web and inventing stuff, what do you think of the name "Code-Synergy Inc."

#Matthew briggs.
Great name. Though that's a two-word name but it's something like that that i'm looking for. Something that's matured depicts my industry. I came up with "Cypher Inc" but the meaning is like opposite of what i want.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by nenepea(f): 11:34pm On Mar 07, 2013
I want a name that's not common but that means something positive. Preferably, a 2 syllable name. I was searching for the name of an animal or plant that has a unique feature that i can use. I don't just want to go for any name but a name that can easily be remembered and will sell itself else i would have joined by Alaba brothers in the way they name their business eg Chymmex enterprises.[/quote]Well! I had suggest u try Afam4evaDrunk enterprises/Limited. Very unique grin
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Legalaffairs(m): 11:39pm On Mar 07, 2013
CVHP: Can anyone be kind enough to tell me how much to register a Limited Liability Company with CAC would cost?
It will cost you 60k in my office.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Legalaffairs(m): 12:04am On Mar 08, 2013
temisafety: How Can You Prevent your chosen business name from being reallocated by the CAC? CAC approves a name and leaves you with a maximum of 60 days validity period to get the name registered. Within that 60 days you can use at most use 12 days to get the signatures of the Directors and the shareholders or in a nutshell tidy the required incorporation documents as required, do the stamp duty, verify, do the valuation, do the proper filing and get your certificate.In event that u were unable to file before the expiration of the 60 days validity period for the availability of the approved name; then u can apply for the revalidation of the expired name, which if comes out. approved then u are lucky. A million nominal share capital can be registered with 60k with us: Contacts 08035423013.

I'm almost certain the people at Corporate Affairs Commission are being fraudulent with good/brandable names during name search. In the most recent experience I had with them,
1. We submitted 4 names for search.
2. They claimed 3 were not available but that the 4th one was.
3. We completed different documentations to complete the registration process.
4. CAC gave the go-ahead to publish the organization on a national newspaper and we published.
5. After some months (long after the publication), they told us that that name was no longer available and that we must find another name or add some word to the already approved and published one.
It's disheartening because we worked so had to come up with the names. Besides, we were only expecting to be informed that the registration had been completed after passing the name search stage.
My question is, how can you prevent CAC people from stealing a valuable/brandable name?
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by free2ryhme: 12:13am On Mar 08, 2013
emmatok:

Though they charge N200, but it is automated.

I did my search within 24hours.
That is not possible without automation.

guy anytin is possible when u go thru the back door and grease some palms
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by free2ryhme: 12:15am On Mar 08, 2013

use tissue paper ... Apkors will help u out
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Drunk: 1:56am On Mar 08, 2013
optionb2: [b][/b][color=#000000][/color]
pls i need your aid on this issue am having,i ve a small business which am planning to lunch at the end of this month but presently i dont ve cash for CAC registration,also bear in mind that i will be receiving cheque and cash from people as a means of payment for the services i am going to be rendered,so since am yet to register the coy let alone of opening a company bank acct but i ve a current account which i opened with my name,i want to know if i can proceed with the bis using that account as a means of collecting cheque and for the service which we re going to be rendered
I suggest you take things one step at a time;
First, Start providing the business services you want to venture into and make one or two successful deals
Second, With N200/N500 as i am being informed now, go to CAC office near you and tell them you want to do a business name search and the forms would be given to you to fill and you can submit and return to get the confirmation at the specified date given to you
Third, It would cost you around N4,000 - N7,000 (though not sure but within that range and not more) to pay for the certificate issuance. That's all with CAC
Fourth, go to FIRS office near you and tell them you want a TIN (Tax Identification Number) for your business which would be freely given to you immediately or in couple of hours or at the maximum 3 days (depending on their network ooo)
Fifth, Go to the bank with your CAC Certificate, TIN, passports, utility bill and etc to open your "Sole Proprietorship" account which is a current account. I think opening balance should be between N5,000 - N10,000 depending on the bank because they would charge you; N3,000 Legal Search fee, N1,500 or less for cheque book and that should be it.
Finally you are ready to do business legally and remember to pay your returns yearly to CAC and your taxes too.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Drunk: 1:58am On Mar 08, 2013
nenepea:

I want a name that's not common but that means something positive. Preferably, a 2 syllable name. I was searching for the name of an animal or plant that has a unique feature that i can use. I don't just want to go for any name but a name that can easily be remembered and will sell itself else i would have joined by Alaba brothers in the way they name their business eg Chymmex enterprises.Well! I had suggest u try Afam4evaDrunk enterprises/Limited. Very unique grin
So, you think you are funny?
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Drunk: 2:39am On Mar 08, 2013
free2ryhme:

guy anytin is possible when u go thru the back door and grease some palms
Smiling, guy think of what you just wrote. Go through back door, grease some palm for a mere name search of N200? And how much would all that cost? Nigeria hasn't got that bad na. Believe it or not. All CAC searches are web based and not manual.
Re: Preventing Your Business Name From Being Reallocated By The CAC? by Drunk: 2:41am On Mar 08, 2013
It's not a must. Just tell them you wish not to use money and ask for other alternatives for doing that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Problems In Changing Proprietor Address On Cac Online / 5 Useful Tips For Introverted Entrepreneurs / Can Nigerians Really Make Money On Facebook?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.