Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,093 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting (24099 Views)

The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting / My Funny Job Hunting Experience / What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Revolva(m): 10:14pm On Feb 27, 2013
After all this ...you don't get d job..just know somebody dat know somebody that know somebaddy!!!! Dats how it works in naija oo neopotism
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Zi: 10:15pm On Feb 27, 2013
eimuhb:

Navigate to the Home screen on your BlackBerry. Click "Messages."
Press the "Menu" button. Click "Options." Click "Email Account Management."
Click the email account you want to remove the signature from and click "Edit."
Clear the "Sent from BlackBerry" text. Press the "Menu" key. Click "Save."

Let me know wassup.

Thanks sweerrrie
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:18pm On Feb 27, 2013
Background check & confidentiality. Job seekers should note these.
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by mckenzie125: 10:29pm On Feb 27, 2013
nikkypearl: Buhari &Tinubu meet in kaduna
guy I blive u o jawe...shey na him ask 4 d nxt topic and him u giv am 2 ram
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by nnekylove: 10:38pm On Feb 27, 2013
eimuhb:

Let me know wassup.
This is a very good suggestion
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by ayobase(m): 10:40pm On Feb 27, 2013
pDude: Rubbish!! angry angry angry angry angry

Its only in naija that this shyt applies. Abroad who give a fvck if it is "sent from blackberry" or you have a funky email address?

Till tomorrow i still use my email address which is my (name + my favorite rock band) and I still get called for interviews on a regular.

Abegi! Work nor dey naija thatt's why all this shyt applies to weed out a vast majority.

Sad country cry

You need not to preach!
Do like the Romans when in Rome!
So, when in Naija, do like a Naijan!
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by eimuhb(f): 10:50pm On Feb 27, 2013
Zi:

Thanks sweerrrie

U welcome!
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Nobody: 10:53pm On Feb 27, 2013
[quote author=pDude]Rubbish!! angry angry angry angry angry

Its only in naija that this shyt applies. Abroad who give a fvck if it is "sent from blackberry" or you have a funky email address?

Till tomorrow i still use my email address which is my (name + my favorite rock band) and I still get called for interviews on a regular.

Abegi! Work nor dey naija thatt's why all this shyt applies to weed out a vast majority.

Sad country cry

[quote]

Common spare us this your rubbi..sh (With due respect). What do you do? Maybe you would have gotten a better job than that your present job? You just show total insensitivity to a globalized world. The article above is applicable anywhere in the world and it is the truth. I don't know where you ply your trade but in the countries where I have lived and worked...These points count a lot. My organization's global Recruitment leader mentioned some of these points.

Where is job in the whole world now? Greece? Spain?, US?, The Global labour market is saturated not only in Nigeria. All the same guys still leave US and UK to work in Nigeria.
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Mskwin(f): 10:57pm On Feb 27, 2013
Akpa ife:
I am nt looking 4 job next topic abeg
Must u b rude? Cnt u jes overlook it if u knw its nt useful tu yu atm
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by temmysoremekun(f): 10:58pm On Feb 27, 2013
Zi: I'm guilty of No 2 angry
But pls understand that for most job seekers (including my humble self), blackberry is actually the cheapest mode of internet connection especially in Nigeria.
am so guilty of this also...i find it very difficult to go to d cafe A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ send ma CV wen i knw i can do dt easily from ma fone..But henceforth i will make amends
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Mskwin(f): 11:00pm On Feb 27, 2013
misreal: dey is work in nigeria bt nigerian graduates r nt well trained.....like it or nt...
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Loonyy(m): 11:02pm On Feb 27, 2013
Akpa ife:
FM mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Mskwin(f): 11:02pm On Feb 27, 2013
Thnx for d info joooor!
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by auntytee: 11:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
Etemma1: I came across this article about the mistakes a lot of applicants make when they apply for Jobs nowadays, especially graduates. I really think you guys should check it out. By the way, here are some of the mistakes. This is so true!

Funky Emails – Even though your email does not guarantee the possibility of getting the employers attention, but you don’t want to take a chance. Some email addresses sound so childish and unprofessional. For instance, lollypopbaby25@blabla.com, steve4uandme@blablabla.com, do not sound professional. Register a new email. It’s free. Something like this is nice, Grace.Agbero@blabla.com or ChikeAdamu@blabla.com.

Sent From My Blackberry – Ask many employers, they will tell you how disappointed they were each time they received CVs in their email that simply says “I’m interested.” or “This is my CV.” And below it you see, ‘Sent from my blackberry’. Common grow up! This is very disrespectful. It also shows you are not matured and very unprofessional. What does it take to say something about yourself in the body of the mail and address your employer well?

Telephone Contacts – If possible, include two phone contacts in your CV just to be on the safer side. And for the love of God, kindly unsubscribe from those reggae, gospel, hip hop and traditional dance tones. Remember you are not the only one applying for this job so you should do everything right to get it.

Family As References – Some applicants are so funny that references on their resumes share the same surnames as theirs. You can’t expect your parents, siblings or cousins to speak ill of you to an intending employer. Afterall, they all want you to get a job.

Omitting Internship Experience – We have seen fresh graduates who deliberately leave out internship work experience on their resumes. Keep it all there in a simple manner. Some employers do not care about what sort of job you have done before, but your understanding of a work environment.

Background Checks – Before your employer do a background check on you, it would be wise to go online, type your name on google and see what comes out. No employer want to associate with touty personalities. This is a good time to untag yourself from silly pictures on facebook, delete those abusive tweets on twitter, delete unruly comments by you on forums and watch what you share on the social media.

Confidentiality – Employers can trick you with their questions to say something ill about your past employer (maybe during internship). Please be very positive about everyone that has ever had an encounter with you. If possible tell them “I cannot disclose so much because of the confidentiality on my past contract letter.”

http://jobfinder.com.ng/blog/2013/02/26/7-common-mistakes-of-fresh-graduate-applicants/
abeggi.. Long story.. I got my present job via "sent from blackberry" and as I speak naw, I'm still being called for various interview via same means...all those ones no follow.. If the job is urs, it urs. Ur consistency and capabilities is all that matters. Abi u think say all the employers no no what's up... Leave that one jaraaaay!!! undecided
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by OBILOLIGHT(m): 11:09pm On Feb 27, 2013
about the background checking.. I can only imagine what kinda impression sites will pass to employers. Cos i know most of these sites retain even stuff you deleted. Make dat employer no even go there...
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by sholay2011(m): 11:11pm On Feb 27, 2013
Akpa ife:
You sabi say u no dey look for job bur u open this thread...u re a classic fool!
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 27, 2013
misreal: dey is work in nigeria bt nigerian graduates r nt well trained.....like it or nt...
can u elucidate on wat u meant by dey(there) is work in nigeria and nigerian graduates r nt well trained? Re u commenting frm gambia?
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Olubodef(m): 11:32pm On Feb 27, 2013
Passin by 2 take my weed
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by eimuhb(f): 12:01am On Feb 28, 2013
eimuhb:

Let me know wassup.

This is just a suggestion. You can add a little info about yourself in the signature e.g Full name, address, phone no. etc.
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by walelamina: 12:12am On Feb 28, 2013
Please my bb is not bringin out email account management in the option on the message icon, aw else can I remove d sent frm my bb signature, tho I saw email reconciliation n email there, can't edit it(quote author=eimuhb]

Let me know wassup.[/quote]
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Maya2pretty(f): 12:19am On Feb 28, 2013
most of d so called prospective employers, are they not Nigerian graduates? abegi, when they get there, they forget where they r comin from and just shut doors to people that r lookin 4 opportunities to excel and contribute to their organizational growth. In God we trust jor
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by sammy102(m): 1:22am On Feb 28, 2013
[color=#000099]Rubbish!! angry angry angry angry angry

Sad country :'

Guy I don't know the part of the "abroad" you live; but I must tell you that in the United States people are being corrected and even sacked from their job because of these same issues. I have heard of people that has been fired from their job because of what they posted on Facebook. To get a professional job in the U.S, this is just a good example you need to follow otherwise no job or a low paying dirty job....... I don't know the kinda work u do anyways...
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Cruxxy(m): 1:39am On Feb 28, 2013
eimuhb:

Let me know wassup.

Teacher Chike
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by oshobar(m): 1:46am On Feb 28, 2013
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by MOELLIOTT(f): 3:20am On Feb 28, 2013
The issue of CV sent via Blackberry itself isn't main challenge, it needs to be sent with at least a short cover letter.

Thank God for internet - please if job hunting, access form filling and interview skills sites and train yourself on how it should be done. If you need help, always ask someone who you know is good at it.

Always REMEMBER you are competing against 100's of others for the post. The recruiter is going through so many applications. Help him and help yourself - MAKE YOURS STAND OUT! It requires effort.

Every success.

4 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by ObamaUS: 3:55am On Feb 28, 2013
Thanks very much for your kind observations.I am an employer of labour and i placed an advert in one of the dailies on January 1st,2013.
It was very disturbing to find out that over 80% of applicants including unexperienced and fresh graduates sent their CVs to my email without introducing themselves and even addressing the CV to the recruiter.
Áll what they do is "Pls find attached,My CV,FYI'.
It got to a point i had to mail some of them and sincerely advised them never to do such things as it turns recruiters off because they receive thousands of emails and CVs and they can be put off with any little stuff.
It's quite disrespectful and rude to just send a CV without any introduction of yourself and respectful way of addressing the employers.

Please recruiters all over the world get put off with all these childish and arrogant mode of applying for jobs.

Most Nigerian graduates are not cultured and just because they have blackberry,they just think they can forward CVs to employers thinking manna will fall from heaven.
Most of the time the meaning you are passing to such recruiters is that you don't value such jobs and that is why you can just forward your CV leaving the recruiter to open the attachment.
Let's change our attitude and orientation.There are jobs in Nigeria.You only need to have the right attitude and the skills to get such jobs.
I just hired somebody yesterday on a monthly salary of N350k.The guy was very respectful in his application and mode of sending his CV.God bless you guys and God bless Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Eisenhower(m): 5:11am On Feb 28, 2013
pDude: Rubbish!! angry angry angry angry angry

Sad country cry

, exactly what was on my mind...it's only in nigeria that all this rubbish apply just because jobs are no where and the ones available are allocated among the top management executives and if God touch them a bit they call for application for vacant position.
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Jubal01: 6:10am On Feb 28, 2013
Akpa ife:
You're vry idiotic. Nonesensical fo.ol. I just wonder whether that came from your anus or your rectum. Grow up. From your words, it obvious you'll soon lose dat freaking 'thing' u call work.
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by pman1(m): 6:15am On Feb 28, 2013
Thank you very much
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by flashemmy: 6:21am On Feb 28, 2013
Thank you for the information

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Victim Of NIS Recruitment Writes To Buhari / When You're Asked To Log In Into Your Facebook Account During A Job Interview / IBTC Chartered Bank Is Recruiting!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.