Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,283 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting (27820 Views)

Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media / My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Ezehrobinson(m): 8:25am On Jul 26, 2015
WHAT I LEARNT FROM MY TWO MONTHS OF JOB HUNTING

The ultimate goal of every student is to graduate and earn a decent living. This could be through entrepreneurial exercise or working for an employer. I chose to tread the path of the latter, which many graduates will also choose (white collar job).

The first thing that will be sung to you once you start your service year is ‘there is no job in the country’. You will be amazed that people still get jobs on daily basis. The question you will be asking yourself will be ‘Are they not humans like myself?’ The most interesting part is that you maybe be better off academically when compared to them. Another interesting thing you will notice is that most of these people that got employment did not get it within the confine of their field of study.
What then is the secret for getting this job?

CLASS OF GRADUATION: Whatever it may take you, kindly make a second class upper in school. This will make your job hunting easier because most jobs in the country has second class upper and above as prerequisite.

AGE: Most graduate entry jobs require the candidate to be below 26 years. So you have to hurry your outstanding papers and graduate before you clock 25years as NYSC will take another one year.

INFORMATION: We are in the information age. Jobs are no longer advertised outside the gate of companies or on newspaper. The trend now is internet. You can visit the webpage of various organizations and look for openings or drop your curricula vitae so they will contact you when there are openings. Subscribing to various jobs and career sites like , ngcareers.com, 3wjobs.com and visiting sites like job section of nairaland.com will expose you to different openings all over the country.

MOBILITY AND LOCATION: Whoever that wants to get a job most be ready to travel at short notices to different screening centers that are far away from his/her base. From experience, the major screening centers for jobs are Lagos, Rivers (majorly Engineering firms), and Abuja. So you have to either relocate to Lagos or within short distances like Ogun state because of lower cost of living and its proximity to Lagos or get ready to spend lot of time on the road to and fro Lagos if you stay far away.

ANALYTICAL AND PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS:

]Most companies have one belief in common, ‘schools do not teach students the skills needed in work place’, and so they are on the lookout for smart not intelligent candidates that they will train. The yardstick for selecting these smart candidates is by subjecting them to aptitude test. This test is psychometric test (not specific to any field). Hence, an engineering student will be competing with a candidate from life science and etc at the same level. One lovely thing about the scoring is that you are not competing to outscore the other candidate but to beat a prescribed baseline score. The downside is that this psychometric test is not taught in school. You have to study it yourself. It is advisable to buy GMAT during your service year and get conversant with it, work on your speed and accuracy and develop your abstract reasoning ability. This will make you ‘Aptitude Test Black Belt Holder’ and you will stand out in any aptitude test as all companies’ aptitude are virtually the same.

LITTLE EXPERIENCES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

Though companies advertise for graduate entry which does not require prior work experience, you will be asked about your little experiences and accomplishments. They love people that have shown innovations. You can volunteer to charity organization or Rotract club, etc so as to have the required little experience.

SOFT AND PEOPLES SKILL:

It is a common scene to notice most guys that clubbed and socialized during their days in school land jobs easier than nerds. This is because they have developed these soft and peoples skills over the years. Soft and people skill is the ability to relate well with people (team player). Technical skill can easily be learnt but peoples skill takes a long time to develop. So, employers like those that already have them and can easily teach them technical skills

GOOD CURRICULA VITAE: Your curricula vitae gives the HR an overview of who you are. Ensure your curricula vitae has the right format. There are different samples on online that you can use as template to build yours.

PRAYER: Prayer is just essential to whatever we do because our physical world is determined by the invisible world. Pray to whatever you believe to guide and show you favour.

164 Likes 19 Shares

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 26, 2015
all u just need are

skills

prayer

pray harder

pray without season

tnk me later

18 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by unofficial(m): 8:30am On Jul 26, 2015
Well said.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by kennynelcon(m): 8:32am On Jul 26, 2015
If you are connected, things will be easier.

12 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Ayomi088(m): 8:36am On Jul 26, 2015
Nice Tips
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by PapaNnamdi: 10:09am On Jul 26, 2015
climb a network mast for connection thats all

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by mrdrizzy(m): 10:40am On Jul 26, 2015
Yeah u totally right
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by daey118(m): 11:49am On Jul 26, 2015
kennynelcon:
ha dey teeeh yu

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by promisechild(m): 11:51am On Jul 26, 2015
OK oo
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by louiskay(m): 12:17pm On Jul 26, 2015
Wow.... am really informed ..... jah bless
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by obinna2nv(m): 12:31pm On Jul 26, 2015
Great!!
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by jazinogold(m): 1:06pm On Jul 26, 2015
you too much!

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 26, 2015
#pukka...you spoke my mind...I think...
So op; as you're now employed, do connect us too...give us info as related to ur coy job vacancies...tanchu...
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Evathyst(f): 2:03pm On Jul 26, 2015
This seems like a potential FP material, make I book space b4 that rapture take place. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Tclassic(m): 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
Ezehrobinson:

AGE: Most graduate entry jobs require the candidate to be below 26 years. So you have to hurry your outstanding papers and graduate before you clock 25years as NYSC will take another one year..
......really appreciate this but is it possible for one to change ones age after gaining admission, lets assume a student in 200 level pursueing 5 years course, is it possible to reduce d age such student use when registering for jamb, and others document in school?....thanks
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by olasquare22: 3:25pm On Jul 26, 2015
Tclassic:
......really appreciate this but is it possible for one to change ones age after gaining admission, lets assume a student in 200 level pursueing 5 years course, is it possible to reduce d age such student use when registering for jamb, and others document in school?....thanks
The answer is no and yes. No employer cares what age u used to secure ur admission into the University. What matter is your O'level. If u have only WAEC, the answer is no, but if NECO, the answer is yes. WAEC CERT carries ur date of birth but NECO CERT does not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Tclassic(m): 3:30pm On Jul 26, 2015
olasquare22:

The answer is no and yes. No employer cares what age u used to secure ur admission into the University. What matter is your O'level. If u have only WAEC, the answer is no, but if NECO, the answer is yes. WAEC CERT carries ur date of birth but NECO CERT does not.
...thanks bro.....i enrole with NECO result.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by DailyTimes: 3:35pm On Jul 26, 2015
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by KingKuntaVart: 3:36pm On Jul 26, 2015
Only two months and ur here tying super story... wait till its two years u would turn to a comedian grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by lonelydora: 3:36pm On Jul 26, 2015
kennynelcon:

This is exactly what I don't like hearing. Who told you so?

Well said Op.

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by kelvyn7: 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
hmmmm

pray make God bless u, dats all.

U can have all these and still not have a job.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
undecided
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Pearlyakin(m): 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
Oyebisi
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
Okay

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by afuye(m): 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
True op
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by crispberry(f): 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
Okay
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by angelTI(f): 3:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
.....gbam cool

God bless you OP

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. / Is This Real Or Scam Or GNLD? / This Is For You If You Are A Graduate Searching For A Job Instead Of Some Skills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.