Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,828 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist (11455 Views)

Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! / Meet Flora Nwapa, Africa`s First Woman Novelist And First Novel Publisher / Who Is Your Best Novelist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by tevinsolt: 11:44am On Feb 28, 2013
first Nigerian female Novelist you mean?
Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Ticklishmummy(f): 11:45am On Feb 28, 2013
Thank you so much for this Iyaniwura.
This brings back some nostalgic memories of my childhood.Back then,my mum being an English and Literature teacher would bring home recommended texts and in less than a week I would have read it twice.Thanks to my mum,in no time my room was a massive library of books,inclusive of pacesetters and books from even the yoruba genre(J.O Fagunwa,Faleti and co) and my cousins,uncles and Aunt would borrow and well...never returned.
I remember Buchi Emecheta's "second class citizen" and I imagined how it must have felt like to see the manuscript of her first book burned off by her husband.I read that book over 12 times.Such memories of growing up.

I am trying to build a library of books from African writers for my little girl,thank goodness for amazon,found a couple and pacesetters inclusive,if not anything to give her a feel amongst other things of how growing up was for me.

More ink to your pen and sorry for my epistle just couldn't help relieve some of those lovely memories. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Iyaniwura123: 11:51am On Feb 28, 2013
Thank you very much! smiley
Itsjanny: Love Iyaniwura's topics 4 3 thing, they are always interesting, informative and educative....kip it up lass!
Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Iyaniwura123: 11:55am On Feb 28, 2013
WAOW! I really envy your childhood o, with all those books but I am very glad that your little angel will have even a better chance as you are preparing a most wonderful childhood for her. I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm, the feeling is very familiar here too. smiley Thank you very much for your time and contribution, you are very much appreciated. Warm regards to your little Angel smiley
Ticklishmummy: Thank you so much for this Iyaniwura.
This brings back some nostalgic memories of my childhood.Back then,my mum being an English and Literature teacher would bring home recommended texts and in less than a week I would have read it twice.Thanks to my mum,in no time my room was a massive library of books,inclusive of pacesetters and books from even the yoruba genre(J.O Fagunwa,Faleti and co) and my cousins,uncles and Aunt would borrow and well...never returned.
I remember Buchi Emecheta's "second class citizen" and I imagined how it must have felt like to see the manuscript of her first book burned off by her husband.I read that book over 12 times.Such memories of growing up.

I am trying to build a library of books from African writers for my little girl,thank goodness for amazon,found a couple and pacesetters inclusive,if not anything to give her a feel amongst other things of how growing up was for me.

More ink to your pen and sorry for my epistle just couldn't help relieve some of those lovely memories. smiley

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Iyaniwura123: 11:56am On Feb 28, 2013
Amen smiley
Obinnau: nice work. I still believe nigeria will still return to their past glory, even producing more influencial men and women. And I still believe I will fall into that league. IJN.

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Iyaniwura123: 11:57am On Feb 28, 2013
I am glad you found them useful. Thank you very much for your time and contribution. smiley
obi123: iyaniwura123 you know these your posts about notable Nigerians helps, it jugs our memory of people who if not for little reminders like this will be forgotten for life.
Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Nobody: 11:58am On Feb 28, 2013
While i'm not entirely suprised with the immature and ignorant comment i've seen so far, i'm still highly disappointed at the the level of unintelligence and ignorance displayed by nigerians. Little wonder the western world have termed ur likes the 'slave continent'. Smh
Symphony007: I really hope this trend...does'nt turn into another tribal warfare!! Because recently everything seems to come down to that and it is most disgracefull!!
excuse me sir, but i think you've just lighted the fire of tribalism with dat comment.

@iyaniwura. Thank you very much for enlightening us. Nice

3 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Iyaniwura123: 12:02pm On Feb 28, 2013
Thank you very much, I really appreciate your support and encouragement.
HNosegbe: Iyaniwura on point. As usual.

@ topic, Flora Nwapa was one of my favourite writers growing up. I read her book "Efuru" cover-to-cover at least four times. How I wish she had written that sequel.

Iyaniwura keep it up. I'm a big fan.
Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Iyaniwura123: 12:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
Thanks a lot for pointing that out.
nbright: it's Archdeacon Crowther Memorial Girls School Elelenwo..... Nt Elelenwa... Nice write up though..

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Epiphany(m): 12:10pm On Feb 28, 2013
Good write up again, Iyaniwura. Although i never got to read any of her books, I had access to many of them growing up. I rather read books by the other 'greats' like Saro Wiwa, Ekwensi, Soyinka, Achebe, Ngugi, etc etc.

My opinion also, is that this write up will not mean much to the modern adults of Nigeria, especially those born in the late 80's and 90's. Why? I sometimes think they did not have access to such books and the culture of reading was not really emphasized in many schools anymore. The era of staring at screens (computers and TV) had started and the publishing of novels such as the Pacesetter series, African series and so on had stopped.

Pity, pity, pity. Hopefully, we will get back there someday.

2 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Iyaniwura123: 12:11pm On Feb 28, 2013
Seems like we have a lot in common smiley
esn1: Iyaniwura thumbs up for this wonderful piece. Am her fan. I read her work Efuru some years back and I was awed by her writing. We do have great writers indeed, and one thing is for sure even when they leave this world, their works speaks for them. I also love Ogochukwu's Promise books.
Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Iyaniwura123: 12:13pm On Feb 28, 2013
I really hope so too sad Thanks for your time smiley
Epiphany: Good write up again, Iyaniwura. Although i never got to read any of her books, I had access to many of them growing up. I rather read books by the other 'greats' like Saro Wiwa, Ekwensi, Soyinka, Achebe, Ngugi, etc etc.

My opinion also, is that this write up will not mean much to the modern adults of Nigeria, especially those born in the late 80's and 90's. Why? I sometimes think they did not have access to such books and the culture of reading was not really emphasized in many schools anymore. The era of staring at screens (computers and TV) had started and the publishing of novels such as the Pacesetter series, African series and so on had stopped.

Pity, pity, pity. Hopefully, we will get back there someday.
Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by afroxyz: 12:16pm On Feb 28, 2013
[b][/b][b][/b]She was made the Ogbuefi (The Cow Killer) in 1978, not a small achievement in the paternalistic societies of Africa where some men look upon women as objects of ridicule and subjugation.

Your statement is misleading. The igbo is not a patrilineal society. Check your facts. However good work on one of Africa's great wordsmith

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Iyaniwura123: 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2013
Depending on your location, you can get at any of the major bookstores around. And another option is to purchase online from Amazon. But a cheaper method will be to check the arts/literature section of a university library or any major educational institution. Any of these methods should get you a copy. Happy reading! smiley
esn1: @ Iyaniwura, pls how can I get a copy of Idu? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Iyaniwura123: 12:26pm On Feb 28, 2013
No one referred to Igbo society as being patrilineal. Paternalistic and patrilineal are two different words.
afroxyz: [b][/b][b][/b]She was made the Ogbuefi (The Cow Killer) in 1978, not a small achievement in the paternalistic societies of Africa where some men look upon women as objects of ridicule and subjugation.

Your statement is misleading. The igbo is not a patrilineal society. Check your facts. However good work on one of Africa's great wordsmith

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by nbright: 12:30pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ticklishmummy: found a couple and pacesetters inclusive,if not anything to give her a feel amongst other things of how growing up was for me.

Is this pacesetter the publishers of The Undesireable Element and The Diliquent's?...
Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by BeraBera(f): 12:31pm On Feb 28, 2013
Yeah! That's the big madam herself!
I read her Book "Efuru" during my secondary school days and really enjoyed it. Even after my exams, I still read the book over again just for the sake of the rich lessons embedded in the book.

Now, looking at some of the derogatory comments, here, I really pity youths of nowadays, they seem to have lost the reading culture. Some did not even go through the post itself before writing their comments. Some that managed to go through it cannot even see anything good in the woman's works. Haba! Why are the youths of nowadays so lazy? Where is the reading culture? Where has the desire to learn and know more gone to? In as much as we now want to keep our eyes glued to the TV and computer screens, we must still make out time to imbibe the reading culture. It would help us a lot in many ways, which include improving our diction, etc.

You must survive one way or another, and there are a hundred and one things to make you happy apart from marriage and children.”

Touching quote in deed.

4 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by maclatunji: 12:39pm On Feb 28, 2013
That moment when an individual's life is portrayed without blemish, not because they did not have any but because they made a genuine effort to be the best they could be.

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by BeraBera(f): 12:43pm On Feb 28, 2013
slimyem: Flora Nwapa...
N'er heard of her.An hero past but a blur in our hearts and minds..undecided
However,this was very enlightening and informative.smiley

It's people like you that I like. Even though u didn't know about her, you still took out time to read the post and appreciate her deeds. Unlike some ignoramus making useless comments here.

3 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Ticklishmummy(f): 1:43pm On Feb 28, 2013
nbright: Is this pacesetter the publishers of The Undesireable Element and The Diliquent's?...

Yes,amongst many others smiley
Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Mentcee(m): 1:48pm On Feb 28, 2013
ypzilanti: Just scroll the responses above to see the products of a failed society and a rundown educational system. A generation that does not know and does not care. All they care about is Wiz Kid and DBanj, and MTV base.

A headline that would interest them to try and find out who Flora Nwapa is would be 'Flora Nwapa buys 5 range rover sports and drives them in convoy through Lagos'. I don't blame you all, I blame Nigeria's leaders:

Nigeria rulers: 'Producing worse and worse citizens since 1960'

Seun just called me to say he loves your post and that you should keep it up!

100,000,000,000,000,000 likes
Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by ypzilanti: 2:19pm On Feb 28, 2013
Mentcee:

Seun just called me to say he loves your post and that you should keep it up!

100,000,000,000,000,000 likes

grin

Lol! Thanks, man.

It's really annoying to see where people with very little education 'boast' of ignorance with pride. I'm talking of the 'half-baked' graduates that we are producing in large numbers from mushroom universities around the country. They are given just enough education to be able to post in English on Nairaland...and that is the extent of the knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by busybee24: 2:36pm On Feb 28, 2013
Amazing! im off to the public library to see if i can go check out a few copies of her work

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Inik(m): 2:52pm On Feb 28, 2013
Years ago the picture of the woman paddling a canoe on the cover of the novel attracted me to read the book 'Efuru' by Flora nwapa. Thanks to my mum, an english & literature teacher who ensured that i had enough supply of novels by african writers i became a novel addict. Today im better off for it.

2 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Nobody: 2:55pm On Feb 28, 2013
Nice one iyaniwura!
D response dat greeted ds post is expected . Or what do u expect from a wasted generation dat only knows d path from their palms to the mouth? A crab has a belly and no head!
It's a shame dat dusk has overtaken farewells in Nigeria, and d cucko shall welcome d dawn no more.

3 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by obi123: 3:31pm On Feb 28, 2013
BeraBera:

It's people like you that I like. Even though u didn't know about her, you still took out time to read the post and appreciate her deeds. Unlike some ignoramus making useless comments here.

exactly!!! instead of wallowing in ignorance

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by obi123: 3:34pm On Feb 28, 2013
ypzilanti: Just scroll the responses above to see the products of a failed society and a rundown educational system. A generation that does not know and does not care. All they care about is Wiz Kid and DBanj, and MTV base.

A headline that would interest them to try and find out who Flora Nwapa is would be 'Flora Nwapa buys 5 range rover sports and drives them in convoy through Lagos'. I don't blame you all, I blame Nigeria's leaders:

Nigeria rulers: 'Producing worse and worse citizens since 1960'

i honestly cant add or subtract from your comment, 12 gun salutes for you

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by salt1: 3:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
Thanks for this Iyaniwura. Flora Nwapa was an aggressive pathfinder in a male-dominated field. She gave birth to many literary daughters: Emecheta, Mabel Segun, Akachi Ezeigbo, Mariama Ba, Ama Ata Aidoo, Zaynab Alkali, Bessie Head etc. And now the granddaughters are arriving: Chimamanda Adichie, Eugenia Abu etc

And such unforgottable characters! Idu, Efuru, Ajanupu

She ought to be celebrated. She is still celebrated

3 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by anonimi: 4:14pm On Feb 28, 2013
Good write up as usual by Iyaniwura. Please keep it up.
May I suggest you do "abridged" short & sharp versions of the bios of these folks. I understand you have summarised already but given the lazy folks we have nowadays you may have to try even more to attract them to exercise their brains and arouse their literary curiosity.
Kudos!

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by rodeo0070(m): 5:07pm On Feb 28, 2013
I can never forget her novel "EFURU". A masterpiece indeed!

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 28, 2013
Re: Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist by Nobody: 5:08pm On Feb 28, 2013
Thank you Iyaniwura for bringing back nostalgic childhood memories.

I remember reading the African Writers series as a child. 'Efuru' and others like 'Weep not Child' are among the novels I cherished then.

Shame that we lack good reading culture in this 'modern' time.

Rest in peace Flora Nwapa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

God Knows Tomorrow "Olorunmola" / Poems By Niyi Osundare / Roy Lan Uzoma, "My Nigerian Dream" Book Author (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.