Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,755 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. (2920 Views)

Guy Brought His Oyinbo Wife Back Home & His Family Members Were Astonished -pics / Can't We Just Get Married Without Involving Families? / Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Woged2005(f): 12:40am On Feb 28, 2013
First I want to thank my virtual friends on Nairaland for your contributions to my previous threads. I really learned a lot but now becoming addicted to NL..LoL!!. God bless you all!

Please how can one own a small family business in Nigeria without involving family members if you don't live in Nigeria? I don't want to use anyone from my family. I did that in the past and it nearly resulted in family issues. This time I want to do it professionally with agreements. How can I do it to avoid being cheated. It's going to be a shop selling baby items, and family items. I have a source in USA willing to supply me at discount. I need advice on: (1)Agreement type, (2)Getting the right person? (3) Best way to compensate the person? (if commision, what's the right commission to pay)(4)Monitoring sales daily, weekly, or monthly(5) Must I use a family member? I will like to avoid family member if I can.

What are your past experiences and advice to me?
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Nobody: 12:51am On Feb 28, 2013
Girl, I will advice you sincerely,
Do not attempt owing a store in Nigeria without your body present live.

There are other ventures to involved like 1.vehicles with neat inventory ( easy only if you have a realiable salesman in Naija sef or else it's bad news too)

2. Hall rentals ; very neat too. There's no way they'd be booked without your knowledge cos you must have a good confidant monitoring the events there on weekly basis.

Besides those 2 I mentioned IMO , you'd end up with all your credit cards, line of credit ,equity ( if you a house) and savings maxed out and miserable for a veeery long time grin( not joking o, just funny)

You're a newbie OP , chilax and save big.
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by greatgod2012(f): 1:27am On Feb 28, 2013
Why dont you go into online business, i think madam CC is d one i can think about now that can educate you more on that
and as Jidegirl said, its not going to be sweet story if you want to set up buz in my naija without been present physically there.
I wish you goodluck.
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Genius100: 3:41am On Feb 28, 2013
Woged2005: First I want to thank my virtual friends on Nairaland for your contributions to my previous threads. I really learned a lot but now becoming addicted to NL..LoL!!. God bless you all!

Please how can one own a small family business in Nigeria without involving family members if you don't live in Nigeria? I don't want to use anyone from my family. I did that in the past and it nearly resulted in family issues. This time I want to do it professionally with agreements. How can I do it to avoid being cheated. It's going to be a shop selling baby items, and family items. I have a source in USA willing to supply me at discount. I need advice on: (1)Agreement type, (2)Getting the right person? (3) Best way to compensate the person? (if commision, what's the right commission to pay)(4)Monitoring sales daily, weekly, or monthly(5) Must I use a family member? I will like to avoid family member if I can.

The only way you can do that kind of business is Nigeria is to find a buyer in Nigeria that will PAY YOU FIRST before you deliver the goods. In fact your only responsibility AFTER RECEIVING PAYMENT is to source for the goods and ship it to Nigeria using the buyer's preferred shipper. The buyer should be responsible for clearing the goods.

Anything other than that, forget it. You will be told a bunch of stories as to why your money can't be made available.
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Nobody: 4:45am On Feb 28, 2013
They will frustrate you.you better keep your money
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by ihedioramma: 5:00am On Feb 28, 2013
@OP THERE ARE SOME GOOD NIGERIANS NOT ALL ARE BAD OR 419 OK. LETS TALK BUSINESS ONE ON ONE E-MAIL ME ihedioramma@yahoo.ca
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by MMotimo: 5:19am On Feb 28, 2013
Anything that involves entrusting your cash outlay to another, anything that involves a third party handling your cash on a regular basis. With Nigerians of today (home and abroad), it would take a miracle to find a honest partner - I am not exaggerating o!

Don't commit any money you cannot afford to lose, wolves in sheep clothing are everywhere. They will promise you heaven and earth but wait till you fall into their hands. Still, miracles happen so never say never.

As for me o! I would not do it.
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by biolabee(m): 6:16am On Feb 28, 2013
Woged!

The madam that opens threads up and down and does not come back to give feedback grin grin

Well you have been given good advise

I will just add this is not unique to Nigerians only
An business you want to start especially at the semimnal stage its best you are on ground running things
The only biz looks like it will work

You can run it asa batch order service where you receive payments and batch up deliveries to naija
You can also outsource delivery via the various sites available
This will remove stress from your side so you can focus on business devt and procurement

The mata plenty o but if you are willing to learn, you have a potential goldmine in the making

The major problem you will have here is trust
If i pay u money, where is my recourse if you dont deliver

Abeg dey try to come back to your baby threads grin grin
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Nobody: 6:19am On Feb 28, 2013
The main market for items like that is inside lagos island called dosumu street.maybe be you can try supplies.but it will end up the same shit
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Nobody: 8:07am On Feb 28, 2013
@OP can easily set up an e-commerce website and take orders from anywhere.
You will make it clear that the products will be coming from the states and also make them aware of the time frame for shipment and order delivery.
You can easily work out cost effective logistics with the parcel and package delivery companies.
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Woged2005(f): 11:59am On Feb 28, 2013
biolabee: Woged!

The madam that opens threads up and down and does not come back to give feedback grin grin If i pay u money, where is my recourse if you don't deliver
Abeg dey try to come back to your baby threads grin grin

LoL!!, thank you ma. I do come back. But sometime the thread get's too long and people digress into something else unrelated that I don't even know how to redirect them back to the question without sounding rude. So I just give up. I take the useful advice and work with it. Nairalanders have been very useful.
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by biolabee(m): 1:33pm On Feb 28, 2013
Woged2005:

LoL!!, thank you ma. I do come back. But sometime the thread get's too long and people digress into something else unrelated that I don't even know how to redirect them back to the question without sounding rude. So I just give up. I take the useful advice and work with it. Nairalanders have been very useful.

you dont need to sound rude ma but a little update actaully brings the thread back to focus
Like the case of the senior uncle who has stayed away from his kids due to his wife how far
or the classic case of the lady that wants favors from her BF without s.exual relations

This are abandoned babies threads cheesy
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by blazingtrain: 3:46pm On Feb 28, 2013
cool cool cool
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by aniffy4eva(m): 5:48pm On Feb 28, 2013
Woged2005: First I want to thank my virtual friends on Nairaland for your contributions to my previous threads. I really learned a lot but now becoming addicted to NL..LoL!!. God bless you all!

You don't have to be in Nigeria "on ground" to run a business. Any business that requires your presence ALL the time is NOT a business - it's a job. tongue
Let me share a few tips with you:

1. Go online. Your business seems like retail stuff. Have a great website denominated in different currencies (including Naira).
2. You need local bank accounts ( to confirm payment)... see if you can enable online payments through interswitch, etc
3. You need a good distribution platform. e.g. myUS dot com - it's a website that can ship anything you want (online) to any address in Nigeria. You can check it out or look for alternatives.
4. Instead of looking for people to employ as salespeople etc.... Why don't you factor the expense into a promo ON your website? e.g. Spend more than N20,000 and get a FREE gift item (with an actual list of items that the buyer can select from) .. OR.... Every person that refers someone that ends up buying something >N10,000 gets a FREE gift item... There are many ways to run around this. You just need to be creative.
5. Leverage on your network (physical and online) to market your website. Make it possible to register (email, phone etc) so that you can slowly build a database of customers that may end up being your sales-force (for FREE) wink
5. IMO this is a better model (with a few modifications) than opening a shop and incurring costs that you could have avoided.

... Oya so how much will you pay me for these tips? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Woged2005(f): 6:13pm On Feb 28, 2013
aniffy4eva:

... Oya so how much will you pay me for these tips? cheesy

Thanks a milion times. Was wondering if credit card is widely used in Nigeria now for people to buy things online?
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Feb 28, 2013
@annify4eva, phew ! that's a full time job on its own ... Good luck OP undecided. *murmurs*
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by achinaboy(m): 9:27pm On Feb 28, 2013

been in ur shoes,either way never works,forget about shop,if ur family could fail u,who could`t?,keep ur money or make out time for a market research on the importation,send the goods,go with the goods,supply and take ur money immedietly,or put ur money on fixdeposit account,the little profits could go a long way
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by aniffy4eva(m): 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
Woged2005:
Thanks a milion times. Was wondering if credit card is widely used in Nigeria now for people to buy things online?
Commercial banks in Nigeria issue ATM cards (Mastercard, Visa or Verve) which are being used for online transactions. I pay a lot of my bills online.
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by aniffy4eva(m): 9:57pm On Feb 28, 2013
jidegirl12: @annify4eva, phew ! that's a full time job on its own ... Good luck OP undecided. *murmurs*
LOL @ jidegirl12
Usually, building a system is a lot of work (sometimes worse than a full time job). Once the system is up and running, the rest is basically routine.
*i run a very profitable online business*
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by obowunmi(m): 2:52am On Mar 01, 2013
OP:why not go to one of these locally based business hubs and ask for help? They're there for a reason. smiley

Venia Hub
Wennovation Hub
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Woged2005(f): 4:54pm On Mar 02, 2013
I am now Confuuuuuuzzzeeed!! Why can't simple things work in my country as they do in other countries? Thousands of lost opportunities and we are complaining about unemployment and poverty when u can't trust anyone or do business with anyone? angry. Should people really sympathize with our situation in Nigeria? Guuush!
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by slimyem: 5:54pm On Mar 02, 2013
Woged2005: I am now Confuuuuuuzzzeeed!! Why can't simple things work in my country as they do in other countries? Thousands of lost opportunities and we are complaining about unemployment and poverty when u can't trust anyone or do business with anyone? angry. Should people really sympathize with our situation in Nigeria? Guuush!
Nothing good comes easy and no business is a simple thing..cool
@anny4ever has given you good tips.browse them if you will.
Better than dealing with any Nigerian..family or not IMO.
...and about trust,it never written on anyone's forehead."The best way to find out if you can
trust somebody is to trust them.” but are you willing to gamble away your money like that?
Be wise!!cool

1 Like

Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 02, 2013
Woged2005: I am now Confuuuuuuzzzeeed!! Why can't simple things work in my country as they do in other countries? Thousands of lost opportunities and we are complaining about unemployment and poverty when u can't trust anyone or do business with anyone? angry. Should people really sympathize with our situation in Nigeria? Guuush!

Lol... Keep lamenting cheesy o mo meme! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Woged2005(f): 7:08pm On Mar 02, 2013
jidegirl12:

Lol... Keep lamenting cheesy o mo meme! cheesy

Sister, you are laaaaafing at me eh! You can imagine how many opportunities like this have come and gone, and also imagine if those opportunities were well-utilized, why should employment be a problem in Nigeria? I'm begining to understand why some people don't give a dime to anyone back home..
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Mar 02, 2013
Woged2005:

Sister, you are laaaaafing at me eh! You can imagine how many opportunities like this have come and gone, and also imagine if those opportunities were well-utilized, why should employment be a problem in Nigeria? I'm begining to understand why some people don't give a dime to anyone back home..

Now you know.... those people you trust with your life saving will ruin you to nothing! Don't TRY it! Period!
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by slimyem: 7:32pm On Mar 02, 2013
Woged2005:

Shebi you need someone to trust?
Oya,I full ground!!
I'm interested in th business.Trust me!!grincheesy
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by mzfelivisions(f): 9:30am On Mar 03, 2013
You can get a manager who works remotely perhaps on a consultant basis as well, there are options that can be created that could make it financially beneficial to both parties. I'm an African American Living here in Nigeria and often caution people on doing business based on sentiment and relations as it usually has adverse on business productivity. If you like I can give you a few pointers are you in bb or you can send me your email address and we can discuss further.

Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Nobody: 10:05am On Mar 03, 2013
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 03, 2013
chaircover: Its possible.

OP needs your advice sis and you dropped just two words. I'm all ears jare grin
Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by amtheone(m): 3:24pm On Mar 03, 2013

My sister there are good people in Nigeria that u can do business with or help u manage ur business, but the problem is when ur expectation is not met how would u react since u are not here. Don't forget that every business comes with its challenges.

Would u be patient enough for the business to grow because feasibility study may not manifest within a particular time frame.

What of if u start accusing the person managing the business for u when u are not getting the desired result.

U can give it a try, but no agreement can take away what I have said so far. Think deep. There are so many opportunities but d management of such opportunities is what matters.

I would suggest u look for someone that is interested in buying off items dat u have at agreed price. That way u won't have much to deal with.

Am sharing this from personal experience.

1 Like

Re: Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 03, 2013
^^^ you're right and when certain expectations are not met the other party becomes a scammer.

(1) (Reply)

What Will You Do If Your Pet Suddenly Turns Against You / She Is Pregnant Again What Do I Do / Which Will You Ask For If You Were To Choose? (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.