Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,093 members, 7,811,062 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos - Islam for Muslims (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (25742 Views)

China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students / Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools / Muslim Students`society Of Nigeria Presents Mini -ivc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by SORTER: 6:25am On Mar 01, 2013
Just wondering if Na that Ur tooth pick Ur called Penis U take enter them........ODE ALAINI RONU!!!!
naijathings:
so whoever covers her hair to school is not a hypocrite? you know how many of those babes i enter when i been dey secondary school?
na dem hide to take banana and clean mouth.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by BetaThings: 6:30am On Mar 01, 2013
deluckiest:

Where is your fact to back your claims concerning the muslim population size? That muslims marry many wives(up to 4) and give uncontrolled birth to add number does not make it grow. Only true conversion to one's religion can be counted in that regard.

So that your last sentence is backed up by what?
So if you were born into Christianity, you can be counted as idol worshipper while only convertees would count?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by kulex2k1(m): 7:05am On Mar 01, 2013
Afam4eva:
It may be allowed in some schools in the UK but it's not allowed in secular schools in Nigeria. There are schools in Nigeria that accept it and are mostly Islamic schools.
Well Said....
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by kollykson: 7:28am On Mar 01, 2013
surprisingly, the moderator also uses abusive words. CAUTION! many of the comments just seems worthless. our feelings should not affect our thinking. many are forgetting the root of the discussion and diverting to thoughtless issues. why must a principal called an emergency assembly after the school hour against a 12-year old JS 1 girl just because she wore hijab and ordered 43- strokes of cane (CHILD ABUSE!). while another principal victimised and humiliate an SS 3 girl outside the school. WHY OUTSIDE THE SCH
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by baysol: 7:31am On Mar 01, 2013
dederocs:
u muslims are deluded,look at the world today-who really owns the power?
the world just tolerates your bickerings and when you cross the line,armageddon will befall you and your wives and children,stop talking about your religion like y'al are a bunch of touts or mobs acting in a crazy frenzy...is that what you are being a muslim for-to fight and throw bombs?
what if America and Isreal and other European Nations decide to anihilate Iran and other extremists muslim states,they can if they want to,but as reasonable civilized people we show restraints,and focus our energy on things that develop the world.

That is the problem because it cannot be business as usual with this people as they come up with new evil plans everyday. This has to stop forthwith in the interest of world peace.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by eabf(f): 8:05am On Mar 01, 2013
abdulkayus: d muslims girls hav d right to wear their hijabs anywhere dey are. So u ppl xpect dem to be openin their heads like u ppl abi.
Hypocrites.
go nd sleep u don't av wat to say.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tayoccu(m): 8:10am On Mar 01, 2013
abdulkayus: d muslims girls hav d right to wear their hijabs anywhere dey are. So u ppl xpect dem to be openin their heads like u ppl abi.
Hypocrites.

I believe schools have Berets,if these young ladies have to cover their hair, they should use the approved head gear.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Toosure70: 8:11am On Mar 01, 2013
ok now, my children are going to school with C&S cap and gbekude on their necks
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 01, 2013
bolatike: Dey are thousands of arabic skools out there why not try there than disturb pupils who are ready to learn
llllllllllooooooooolllllllllxxxxxxxx
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 8:32am On Mar 01, 2013
jamst:

shai! i miss out,i should av bash pple like u on time
ar u now missing ur right to bash?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by slodot2000: 8:32am On Mar 01, 2013
[color=#990000]Can white garment, red or others as some Christians denominations attire be worn to schools? Western education is not a religious institution. It does not in any way favour Christianity neither is it an arabic or Islamic entity. My take is that if you must wear hijab to school, Islamic schools abound in town look for one an attend. Public schools are secular in nature especially in secular southern Nigeria.[ bros u have said it all. Correct smart, learned guy]
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by JahMan1: 8:33am On Mar 01, 2013
Toosure70: ok now, my children are going to school with C&S cap and gbekude on their necks
Truth is a mixture of Ishmael & Isaac breeds confusion.That is what is obtainable in Western Nigeria.
I served and taught in the North(NYSC).
Over there wearing a hijab was never an issue though I do not understand what a hijab means sef(the one that covers all the face and two opening for eyes left?).
I only noticed that the school uniform was a chequered blue and white with a head tie of same material for the girls and white upon white for the boys.
Wearing the head tie,though strange to me at that time never helped me to know who was a muslim or who was a Christian.
I noticed however that most girls that were in school were mostly christian girls as their muslim counterparts were locked up or married at 12-15 years while the boys were allowed to attend school.
Fashola should address the issue speedily(atleast his wife is a christian).
About giving the girl 43 strokes of the cane......I guess it was exaggerated.Even if she was Paul the missionary.
If not for the mention of Omidele,I could have thought it was a plot to remove Mrs Ukpaka(a non-indigene christian) from being the principal.
I am watching how this drama will end.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 01, 2013
seyi42k: I have a problem with Muslims always playing the victim. In all countries of the world, they seek to subjugate the laws of the land to their desires.

They are always tolerated because of their aggressive streak still they push past their boundaries. In all my years of posting on Nairaland including controversial christian threads, I have never come across a warning like this "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam".

Are we now supposed to be afraid to post on Nairaland so that we will not hurt the feelings of our Muslim brothers. Go to the atheist threads in the religion section and see how Christianity is being vilified. You can hardly have a decent open minded discussion with a Muslim without having to deal with sarcasm, aggression, and in some cases violence. I know because I lived in a house built by a Muslim. While this is not an ideal deduction, we can see what is happening world wide.

For those citing UK as an example, let me tell you that they are suffering from extreme form of political correctness and that was why they have allowed same sex marriages. I hope that when the time comes they will debate allowing mosque to wed gays just as they are debating on churches.

They will tell you the west is the problem of the world, still they will run to the west to give birth to their children. Still it is the technology of the west that is powering their countries.

Anyway, as for the hijab issue, I hope the Lagos state government will wisely stay out of it. If it makes a formal declaration allowing it, it should be ready for lawyers who will test the extent of such. Remember that their are a lot of Ifa, Sango and Oranmiyan followers in these schools and they have a religious dress code too, e.g Male Sango worshippers plait their hairs. What will happen when boys start wearing cowries to school? What will happen when horns are being hung on their necks? When of animal skins?

Lastly, let us hear what the Bible had to say about Ishmeal...Genesis 16 : 12 And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;. Remember, it is his hand first against every man before they also turn their hands against him. At that point, they play the victim.
if I've had any ugly encounter wid u in nairaland, plz am kneeling wid my head and my body upside down begging u 2 Forgive and 4get. I really love wat u posted and am giving u a presidential recommendation and 6000000000 likes

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 01, 2013
Fussbot: Lwkm...see how people are arguing...lol,u guys dn't really know why dos SECONDARY SCHOOL GIRLS are protesting cus of hijab...hijab!hijab!:hijab! 'BEST PLACE 4 TEXTBOOKS'..lol..abi una want mae d gals fail??lol...once again shout out 2 dat gal dat hlpd me wen I was writing waec gce..if not 4 her hijab,dn't kno wat my grades wld hav bin..
i talk'am, camel fit hide inside dat hijab somtn.
Instead of this girls to be protesting about lack of good libraries and labs, itz just cos of hijab

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 01, 2013
kollykson: surprisingly, the moderator also uses abusive words. CAUTION! many of the comments just seems worthless. our feelings should not affect our thinking. many are forgetting the root of the discussion and diverting to thoughtless issues. why must a principal called an emergency assembly after the school hour against a 12-year old JS 1 girl just because she wore hijab and ordered 43- strokes of cane (CHILD ABUSE!). while another principal victimised and humiliate an SS 3 girl outside the school. WHY OUTSIDE THE SCH
mr man or woman, it might also interest to go and find out dat these girls must hav been warned so many times and if u can see, all of her muslim friends must hav stopped wearing dat stuff and decided to be good and obedient students but she out of stupidy and hopeless ignorance decided 2 keep disobeying and d teacher out of stupid hatred dat she wouldn't listen and dat she is challenging her authority flogged her bum bum well. U know u mslims ar known to always use r religion to commit atrocity so dat ru brodas and sisters can hail u as strong willed
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by deols(f): 9:02am On Mar 01, 2013
This thread confirms how christians are the real cause of religious problems in Nigeria.

A muslim decides to dress in a particular way. How is it you all's headache.

has anyone forced you to dress like Muslims.

Islam will prevail nevertheless.
and those Principals MUST be punished. it shall come to pass that Muslims are allowed to practice their religion the way they want it. You all can keep fretting for naught on NL.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by JaaizTech: 9:04am On Mar 01, 2013
AKobo4urthought:

That is a very ridiculous statement to make. What does wearing a school uniform have to do with wearing an hijab? Back in high school I had tons of muslim friends who wore the hijab, but they didn't have to take their hijab off because of some so called "uniform", and their hijab didn't interfere with their studies or the studies of others. As a school administrator it is rather unprofessional to suspend or mistreat students because of their religious believes. But then in a country like Nigeria, people don't really care about being professional or being fair. If the christian students get to be treated like they belong in the school, so should the muslim students. Wearing an hijab should have[size=14pt] nothing[/size] to do with getting a proper education. undecided

Afam4eva:
It may be allowed in some schools in the UK but it's not allowed in secular schools in Nigeria. There are schools in Nigeria that accept it and are mostly Islamic schools.

Well, you will read more ridiculous statements if you stay on this forum. This is how low the mindset of many Christians (esp. pentecostals) in Nigeria are. During my NYSC service in Enugu I can remember vividly that the Muslim ladies had many conflicts with the authorities over the use of Hijab but the Catholic Nun sisters who wears almost exactly what looks like an hijab was treated like a saint, infact when challenged, the response was that she is a "Catholic Sister"; how preposterous!!!

The Hijab (or any other religious head covering) is permitted by law in every Government school in lagos, anyone can check up the facts. I live in the North, and I can say without any doubt that in Kaduna the christians attending public schools are free not to wear the hijab to school if they so desire, no one is compelling them to wear the hijab to school, so why should Muslims be compelled to against the teachings of their religion by removing the Hijab.
and they say they are tolerant...
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by deols(f): 9:06am On Mar 01, 2013
slodot2000: [color=#990000]Can white garment, red or others as some Christians denominations attire be worn to schools? Western education is not a religious institution. It does not in any way favour Christianity neither is it an arabic or Islamic entity. My take is that if you must wear hijab to school, Islamic schools abound in town look for one an attend. Public schools are secular in nature especially in secular southern Nigeria.[ bros u have said it all. Correct smart, learned guy]

yours is one of the dumbest ever.

the school is government funded. funded by the taxes paid by both christians and Muslims.

so if any of you doesnt want to see Muslims wear hijab, move to schools owned by christians.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by JaaizTech: 9:13am On Mar 01, 2013
Movingcoil: mr man or woman, it might also interest to go and find out dat these girls must hav been warned so many times and if u can see, all of her muslim friends must hav stopped wearing dat stuff and decided to be good and obedient students but she out of stupidy and hopeless ignorance decided 2 keep disobeying and d teacher out of stupid hatred dat she wouldn't listen and dat she is challenging her authority flogged her bum bum well. U know u mslims ar known to always use r religion to commit atrocity so dat ru brodas and sisters can hail u as strong willed

I have a question for you, would you consider it right and fair if : Your Daughter was compelled to wear the Hijab in a Government School in Kano, simply because you happen to live in that part of the country

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by deols(f): 9:22am On Mar 01, 2013
JaaizTech:

I have a question for you, would you consider it right and fair if : Your Daughter was compelled to wear the Hijab in a Government School in Kano, simply because you happen to live in that part of the country

I don't even see that holding water because-
the north is predominantly Muslim whereas this is the south west where Muslims and christians reside hand in hand(that is even if we just let it slide that Muslims aren't more)

so if a majority Muslim region doesnt force nonMuslims to wear hijab why should Muslims be denied it in their own land.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by olawalebabs(m): 9:31am On Mar 01, 2013
Who is more intolerant between those that don't mind their business always provoking others. How will a lady putting on hijab affect you and your studies.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by JaaizTech: 9:35am On Mar 01, 2013
deols:

I don't even see that holding water because-
the north is predominantly Muslim whereas this is the south west where Muslims and christians reside hand in hand(that is even if we just let it slide that Muslims aren't more)

so if a majority Muslim region doesnt force nonMuslims to wear hijab why should Muslims be denied it in their own land.

You misinterpreted my argument?? The point I was making is that If Non-Muslims are not forced to wear the Hijab in Kano, then Muslims sholudn't be forced not to wear the Hijab in lagos or even Enugu, Anambra etc for that matter.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by olawalebabs(m): 9:42am On Mar 01, 2013
JaaizTech:

You misinterpreted my argument?? The point I was making is that If Non-Muslims are not forced to wear the Hijab in Kano, then Muslims sholudn't be forced not to wear the Hijab in lagos or even Enugu, Anambra etc for that matter.
Muslim should not be forced to wear hijab, but those that wish to wear should not be bann or disallow.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tayoccu(m): 9:59am On Mar 01, 2013
deols:

yours is one of the dumbest ever.

the school is government funded. funded by the taxes paid by both christians and Muslims.

so if any of you doesnt want to see Muslims wear hijab, move to schools owned by christians.
M'am we all agree that the schools are govt funded, but its the same govt that gave the schools dress codes, and the last time I checked, the hijab wasn't on the list of permitted gear,Berets are allowed instead.
Soon the guys will be agitating to wear turbans to school.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by jamst(m): 10:11am On Mar 01, 2013
olawalebabs: Who is more intolerant between those that don't mind their business always provoking others. How will a lady putting on hijab affect you and your studies.

i tie er 4 dos hipocrit ooo
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by foodworld: 10:13am On Mar 01, 2013
I'm nt surprised, cos any attempt by d Muslims to uphold/protect their interests is always a thorn in a christian's body. Buh WHY Is there any prophecy abt Islam dt u ar scared of.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 10:15am On Mar 01, 2013
tayoccu:
M'am we all agree that the schools are govt funded, but its the same govt that gave the schools dress codes, and the last time I checked, the hijab wasn't on the list of permitted gear,Berets are allowed instead.
Soon the guys will be agitating to wear turbans to school.

The government is subject to law and the law gives muslim girls the right to wear hijab.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tayoccu(m): 10:26am On Mar 01, 2013
naptu2:

The government is subject to law and the law gives muslim girls the right to wear hijab.
You do know that the the dress code is in the law?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Sexual Intercourse With Menstruating Women Is Prohibited / Fashion Thread For Muslim Women / Social Distancing During Hajj Pilgrimage. Number Reduced From 2 Million To 1,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.