Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,788 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos - Islam for Muslims (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (25745 Views)

China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students / Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools / Muslim Students`society Of Nigeria Presents Mini -ivc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by daylae(m): 11:42pm On Feb 28, 2013
This issue is no contest at all. . .Nigeria is a secular state. Probably, islamic republic like iran provides such for girls in school.

Those who mobilized the school kids for such protest,instead of being in school are just some idle bigots who lacks information,claiming their rights where there is none in this case.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 11:47pm On Feb 28, 2013
daylae: This issue is no contest at all. . .Nigeria is a secular state. Probably, islamic republic like iran provides such for girls in school.

Those who mobilized the school kids for such protest,instead of being in school are just some idle bigots who lacks information,claiming their rights where there is none in this case.

Please can you tell me what makes Nigeria a secular state? Is it written in any law or any section of the constitution? If it is, can you cite that law for me?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by jamst(m): 11:49pm On Feb 28, 2013
YoungSalute: Muslims are always fighting for their right... Right to kill, right to destroy, right to hate, right to do and commit atrocity. Right to plan to bomb and etc.

shai! i miss out,i should av bash pple like u on time
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Amozism: 11:51pm On Feb 28, 2013
What is on the head that is being covered? U must not mask ur face to prove how holy u re. Its in the heart and not on the head

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Escobase: 11:58pm On Feb 28, 2013
ckkris: UNIFORM is haram
I laugh, is there anything that is not haram?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by guvnor83: 11:59pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hu is ths guy tryng 2 proove wht he dosent knw,my guy islam is a complete religion, hold urself she o gbo!
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 12:00am On Mar 01, 2013
“Ironically, these principals have no problems with other female students wearing mini-skirt and mini-gowns as school uniform. They see no crime in that as long as it is not hijab,”

I couldnt have said it better. Mrs Ukpaka may or may not be a bigot, but she is definitely silly. How does she think she can get away with an act like that, in a nation were more than half the population are muslims? Mrs Ukpaka must face the consequences of her silly actions.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by jamst(m): 12:03am On Mar 01, 2013
hurray! justice av been served,the lagos govt has agree 2 the demand that hijab should be used by muslims in the school...jux listen 2 news tommorrow.and by the way,all the muslim/hijab haters should GOLDIE
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 12:04am On Mar 01, 2013
daylae:
This issue is no contest at all. . .Nigeria is a secular state. Probably, islamic republic like iran provides such for girls in school.

Keep deceiving urself, bro. grin
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by avalontony(m): 12:07am On Mar 01, 2013
abdulkayus:

so, dey shld nt protest wen their rights is being trample on?
Hypocrite
look at this aboki ooo!!!!! are u talking about right here? i guess u did not hear about an English teacher that was almost killed in a govt secondary sch in bauchi becose a muslim lady was reciting her koran during her lesson period and she took the book from her... and her students pounced on her, what do u call that?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 12:08am On Mar 01, 2013
MANDLA v DOWELL LEE [1982] UKHL 7 (24 March 1982):

Sikhs are a racial group for the purposes of the Race Relations Act 1976 and a rule forbidding the wearing of turbans by school pupils could not, therefore, be upheld because it was it not justifiable in all circumstances ‘irrespective of the colour, race, nationality or ethnic or national origins’ of the person to whom it was applied ‘without regard to the ethnic origins of that person’ (per L Fraser of Tullybelton).
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Amozism: 12:13am On Mar 01, 2013
If u like u ban me becos i talk the truth. How e take affect the price of garri for market?

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by avalontony(m): 12:14am On Mar 01, 2013
am not suprised at this....it also happens in federal universities in the north...... but nobody took to the streets. i wish them luck sha.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by deluckiest(m): 12:20am On Mar 01, 2013
Maple:

I couldnt have said it better. Mrs Ukpaka may or may not be a bigot, but she is definitely silly. How does she think she can get away with an act like that, in a nation were more than half the population are muslims? Mrs Ukpaka must face the consequences of her silly actions.

Where is your fact to back your claims concerning the muslim population size? That muslims marry many wives(up to 4) and give uncontrolled birth to add number does not make it grow. Only true conversion to one's religion can be counted in that regard.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Sissie(f): 12:21am On Mar 01, 2013
Pls where in the north was it made compulsory for a non Muslim student to wear the hijab
avalontony:
am not suprised at this....it also happens in federal universities in the north...... but nobody took to the streets. i wish them luck sha.
What exactly happened, they where not allowed to wear the hijab? Which uni specifically?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by seyi42k(m): 12:27am On Mar 01, 2013
I have a problem with Muslims always playing the victim. In all countries of the world, they seek to subjugate the laws of the land to their desires.

They are always tolerated because of their aggressive streak still they push past their boundaries. In all my years of posting on Nairaland including controversial christian threads, I have never come across a warning like this "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam".

Are we now supposed to be afraid to post on Nairaland so that we will not hurt the feelings of our Muslim brothers. Go to the atheist threads in the religion section and see how Christianity is being vilified. You can hardly have a decent open minded discussion with a Muslim without having to deal with sarcasm, aggression, and in some cases violence. I know because I lived in a house built by a Muslim. While this is not an ideal deduction, we can see what is happening world wide.

For those citing UK as an example, let me tell you that they are suffering from extreme form of political correctness and that was why they have allowed same sex marriages. I hope that when the time comes they will debate allowing mosque to wed gays just as they are debating on churches.

They will tell you the west is the problem of the world, still they will run to the west to give birth to their children. Still it is the technology of the west that is powering their countries.

Anyway, as for the hijab issue, I hope the Lagos state government will wisely stay out of it. If it makes a formal declaration allowing it, it should be ready for lawyers who will test the extent of such. Remember that their are a lot of Ifa, Sango and Oranmiyan followers in these schools and they have a religious dress code too, e.g Male Sango worshippers plait their hairs. What will happen when boys start wearing cowries to school? What will happen when horns are being hung on their necks? When of animal skins?

Lastly, let us hear what the Bible had to say about Ishmeal...Genesis 16 : 12 And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;. Remember, it is his hand first against every man before they also turn their hands against him. At that point, they play the victim.

4 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by roxell120(m): 12:32am On Mar 01, 2013
Islam and controversies worldover.if they record the Number of casualties Christians ve recorded in their hands,nigeria would ve been im flames.who are we to fight for God?which is my belief.but a glaring devil will kill innocent people in the name of God and claim to ve secured an inheritance in heaven. WHAT A BIG JOKE!

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by jamst(m): 12:32am On Mar 01, 2013
2 all my muslim bro & sis,remember an hadiths dat the prophet muhammad s.a.w forbid us 2 be arguing wit pple dat are ignorant(just like majority of xtians on nland cos dey are hypocrite) and also lack understanding cos they are blind,deaf&dumb...smh
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by roxell120(m): 12:37am On Mar 01, 2013
jamst: 2 all my muslim bro & sis,remember an hadiths dat the prophet muhammad s.a.w forbid us 2 be arguing wit pple dat are ignorant(just like majority of xtians on nland cos dey are hypocrite) and also lack understanding cos they are blind,deaf&dumb...smh
ana m anu

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by manugbo(m): 12:37am On Mar 01, 2013
the fear of bokoharam is d beging of wisdom
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by deluckiest(m): 12:47am On Mar 01, 2013
jamst: 2 all my muslim bro & sis,remember an hadiths dat the prophet muhammad s.a.w forbid us 2 be arguing wit pple dat are ignorant(just like majority of xtians on nland cos dey are hypocrite) and also lack understanding cos they are blind,deaf&dumb...smh

It is you and your boko haram virgin seeking religion followers that are blind, deaf n dumb. Why don't you leave christians out of it? Iam waiting for my ban...rubbish!
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Sagamite(m): 12:57am On Mar 01, 2013
tevinsolt: there's a reason why they are called school uniforms. when you're not in school or at work you can wear whatever the hell you want.

What rubbish!

How does hijab impede conformity with school dress code?

Why can't people be allowed to incorporate their religion's expectations to their dress code in a SECULAR country?

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 1:45am On Mar 01, 2013
buJu-234:
why is islam always in the news either 4 fight; war or protest. whyyy
wanna know why? Sorry
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 1:47am On Mar 01, 2013
did the prophet also forbid boko boys from carrying arm to fight a state?

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 1:51am On Mar 01, 2013
seyi42k: I have a problem with Muslims always playing the victim. In all countries of the world, they seek to subjugate the laws of the land to their desires.

They are always tolerated because of their aggressive streak still they push past their boundaries. In all my years of posting on Nairaland including controversial christian threads, I have never come across a warning like this "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam".

Are we now supposed to be afraid to post on Nairaland so that we will not hurt the feelings of our Muslim brothers. Go to the atheist threads in the religion section and see how Christianity is being vilified. You can hardly have a decent open minded discussion with a Muslim without having to deal with sarcasm, aggression, and in some cases violence. I know because I lived in a house built by a Muslim. While this is not an ideal deduction, we can see what is happening world wide.

For those citing UK as an example, let me tell you that they are suffering from extreme form of political correctness and that was why they have allowed same sex marriages. I hope that when the time comes they will debate allowing mosque to wed gays just as they are debating on churches.

They will tell you the west is the problem of the world, still they will run to the west to give birth to their children. Still it is the technology of the west that is powering their countries.

Anyway, as for the hijab issue, I hope the Lagos state government will wisely stay out of it. If it makes a formal declaration allowing it, it should be ready for lawyers who will test the extent of such. Remember that their are a lot of Ifa, Sango and Oranmiyan followers in these schools and they have a religious dress code too, e.g Male Sango worshippers plait their hairs. What will happen when boys start wearing cowries to school? What will happen when horns are being hung on their necks? When of animal skins?

Lastly, let us hear what the Bible had to say about Ishmeal...Genesis 16 : 12 And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;. Remember, it is his hand first against every man before they also turn their hands against him. At that point, they play the victim.
i just hope the muslim bro hear this.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by UnitedManc: 1:56am On Mar 01, 2013
i just dey laugh. religion again! *sigh*
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by AKobo4urthought: 2:03am On Mar 01, 2013
tevinsolt: there's a reason why they are called school uniforms. when you're not in school or at work you can wear whatever the hell you want.

That is a very ridiculous statement to make. What does wearing a school uniform have to do with wearing an hijab? Back in high school I had tons of muslim friends who wore the hijab, but they didn't have to take their hijab off because of some so called "uniform", and their hijab didn't interfere with their studies or the studies of others. As a school administrator it is rather unprofessional to suspend or mistreat students because of their religious believes. But then in a country like Nigeria, people don't really care about being professional or being fair. If the christian students get to be treated like they belong in the school, so should the muslim students. Wearing an hijab should have[size=14pt] nothing[/size] to do with getting a proper education. undecided

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by UnitedManc: 2:05am On Mar 01, 2013
First I dont give a damn about any man made rubbish
Second, I have few questions for Muslims? Did your prophet command you to use any technology created by an 'infidel'? e.g twitter, Facebook, web etc? Do you guys ever get to think?
I mean why are you people always acting weird, as if its just you alone?

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 3:36am On Mar 01, 2013
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by mollie12: 4:22am On Mar 01, 2013
abdulkayus: dey hav d right to protest agaisnt d discrimination of female muslims students. We cant go far wit all dis discrimination. There are well known lagos muslims who shld wade into dis issue. Dos principals dat carry out dis nonsensical nonsense shld be tried for tryin to disrupt d relative peace both muslims and xtains enjoy in Lagos .

Wow. Spoken like a true bully.

And I'm sure this story is false anyway. What principal flogs a student with 43 strokes? In this day and age? People just looking for where to stir up sentiment.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Sexual Intercourse With Menstruating Women Is Prohibited / Fashion Thread For Muslim Women / Social Distancing During Hajj Pilgrimage. Number Reduced From 2 Million To 1,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.