Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,870 members, 7,862,917 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:56 AM

A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views (657 Views)

Atheists: What Are Your Views On Miracles? / What Are Your Views On Supernatural Occurrences? / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views by xtrafly(m): 12:05am On Mar 01, 2013
I read a topic with lots of responses here
about sleep paralysis, it has happened to me a
lot of times and I thought it was a kind of
'demonic oppression', then I changed my view
to the scientific explanation involving
disrupted REM sleep. Two similar experiences
which I will discuss here have changed my view
yet again of sleep paralysis.
One night I slept off while watching a movie
with my sister, at a point I 'woke' up to the
familiar feeling of sleep paralysis, I could see
and hear my sister and the movie she was
watching, i tried my best to call her but I
couldn't. After a while she looked at me then
walked over and tapped me, I felt 'freed'.
When I got up, I asked her why she tapped me,
she said I was grunting heavily in my sleep, I
asked if my eyes where closed and she said
yes. The second experience was almost the
same, the only difference was the person
involved in the waking.
My explanation of sleep paralysis is that it
occurs when the spirit leaves the body (similar
to dreaming), and returns when the body is yet
to wake up (notice that you always wake up at
the end of a dream), at this point there is a
kind of 'disconnect' between the body and the
spirit. Many people who experience sleep
paralysis can actually see what's happening
around them, but do not know that their eyes
are physically closed. During sleep paralysis,
you sometimes hear strange sounds, see
strange objects, or feel a 'presence', these
disappear immediately you are fully awake.
This is because they come from another
'dimension' that only your spirit can perceive.
Sleep paralysis is usually very scary because it
is like being trapped between the physical and
the spiritual realm. I 'believe' with learning to
control your mind (similar to meditation) you
can actually control your spirit during sleep
paralysis.
My views are totally from experience so I
have no scientific evidence to prove them,
people who have experienced sleep paralysis
will understand them better. I'd like to hear
your views on this

Re: A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views by Emmyk(m): 1:16am On Mar 01, 2013
Havent experience such before...
Re: A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views by Nobody: 4:22am On Mar 01, 2013
To the ignorant
From a similar thread:
Evil Brain: Its called sleep paralysis and its perfectly normal.

When you are asleep, you brain normally paralyzes all your muscles. This is so that when you dream, you don't start acting action film and punch or kick your wife/girlfriend sleeping beside you. This paralysis (called muscle hypotonia) is usually turned off as you wake up. Sometimes however, you might wake up while the paralysis is still on, making you feel that you can't move or that something is pressing you into the bed. It usually lasts just a few seconds and stops immediately you're stimulated, e.g. if someone touches you or if you hear a sound.

Because this experience can be scary for those who don't know what it is, the greedy, corrupt pastors have taken advantage of it to scare people and make them seek protection against the "evil spirits that are responsible".

But there are no evil spirits, it is perfectly normal, and it happens to everybody. So don't worry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

If you'd rather hold on to long-held superstitions and flip the scientific explanation out the window, that's your cup of tea...
Re: A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views by enilove(m): 6:56am On Mar 01, 2013
What you need is prayer.It is a demonic activity.
You are too far from God.The earlier you realise this the better .

B4 going to bed every night,pray like this:

Father forgive me of all my sins.
I accept and believe that Jesus died for me on the cross at Calvary.Jesus come into my life be my personal lord and saviour.

Any spirit or demon that will come to me in my sleep,fire of God destroy the spirit and demon in Jesus name.
I cover myself with the blood of Jesus.No weapon fashioned against me shall prosper ,in Jesus name.

Read psalm 4:1- the end.

Just try this,& come and tell of ur experience.

God is real,those things are not ordinary.

Thanks.
Re: A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views by Kay17: 7:32am On Mar 01, 2013
^^ supernatural explanation.

I think hallucinogens show us jow powerful our brÀins are. I'm never really convinced by demon explanation.
Re: A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views by Ishilove: 7:34am On Mar 01, 2013
musKeeto: To the ignorant
From a similar thread:

If you'd rather hold on to long-held superstitions and flip the scientific explanation out the window, that's your cup of tea...
Okay, sleep hypotonia. Agreed. But not all cases are as a result of sleep paralysis. Some people trash around when they sleep. Some people somnabulate. Why doesn't the hypotonia work then?

I am not saying sleep paralysis is not real, no, but some cases are as a result of spiritual malevolence. What will you say about the fellow who went on a visit to a friend in a certain area. Every night, he gets 'pressed' at least twice a night, and each time he shakes it off, he hears the sound of feet moving away. Mind you, the family he went to visit are the owners of the house and no one else lives with them. When he returns to his base, these nocturnal 'visitations' disappear.

What of that fellow who wakes up, goes to the bathroom, comes back and just when she is about to go back to sleep, she hears the sound of movement in her room, followed by 'pressing'? It goes on for like three months until the said fellow goes for deliverance.

Will you blame these occurences on sleep paralysis, or something infinitely more sinister?
Re: A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 01, 2013
Ishilove:
Okay, sleep hypotonia. Agreed. But not all cases are as a result of sleep paralysis. Some people trash around when they sleep. Some people somnabulate. Why doesn't the hypotonia work then?

I am not saying sleep paralysis is not real, no, but some cases are as a result of spiritual malevolence. What will you say about the fellow who went on a visit to a friend in a certain area. Every night, he gets 'pressed' at least twice a night, and each time he shakes it off, he hears the sound of feet moving away. Mind you, the family he went to visit are the owners of the house and no one else lives with them. When he returns to his base, these nocturnal 'visitations' disappear.

What of that fellow who wakes up, goes to the bathroom, comes back and just when she is about to go back to sleep, she hears the sound of movement in her room, followed by 'pressing'? It goes on for like three months until the said fellow goes for deliverance.

Will you blame these occurences on sleep paralysis, or something infinitely more sinister?

Have you people always wondered why it is always personal/subjective stories when it comes to proof and supernatural? Just once, I would like to see such things on camera. Undeniable proof. Why do these things not happen during scientific studies of sleep/dreams?

Sleep paralysis is rthe simple answer. All these claims of supernatural are exaggeration. In a state of stress and fear, the mind is unstable
Re: A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views by Ishilove: 8:41am On Mar 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

Have you people always wondered why it is always personal/subjective stories when it comes to proof and supernatural? Just once, I would like to see such things on camera. Undeniable proof. Why do these things not happen during scientific studies of sleep/dreams?

Sleep paralysis is rthe simple answer. All these claims of supernatural are exaggeration. In a state of stress and fear, the mind is unstable
You would like to see a demon caught on camera?

The mind is unstable?? Issorait! Your mind might be unstable, not mine
Re: A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 01, 2013
^^^^
And people would usually spice up these stories.

@Ishi: is there any Bible verse that explains these symptoms? Or are these mere superstitions based on too much naija film? cheesy

Question: why would a demon
press you while you sleep? Is the
demon pressing you physically or
spiritually? To what end?
Re: A Must Read---> Let's Hear Your Views by mazaje(m): 12:50pm On Mar 01, 2013
musKeeto: ^^^^
And people would usually spice up these stories.

@Ishi: is there any Bible verse that explains these symptoms? Or are these mere superstitions based on too much naija film? cheesy

Question: why would a demon
press you while you sleep? Is the
demon pressing you physically or
spiritually? To what end?

I TIRE ohhh. . . .

(1) (Reply)

Be Locked In And Sold-out To God By Dr Rex Al Opusunju / Protest In Hell Fire........devils And Cohorts Are Vexing With Who?????????????? / How Can We Convert Pipu, Dat Dont Believe Hell Exist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.