Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,379 members, 7,812,108 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp (54937 Views)

Corps Member Dies At Enugu Orientation Camp / NYSC Batch B 2015: Requirements For Orientation Camp / Pictures From NYSC Orientation Camp In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by nenergy(m): 11:17am On Mar 04, 2013
Please i suggest you request for nysc shoe sizes 1size higher than normal. Normal size Jungle boots and the white tennis shoes can be tight. E.g if you wear size 32, ask for size 33
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by searay(m): 11:20am On Mar 04, 2013
Anti-Gbagaun:

shocked shocked angry
now you wnts to told us that you can speaking English very very very well?
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by firstolalekan(m): 11:23am On Mar 04, 2013
11. There are places available where you can charge your batteries at the camp market.

Blackberry suferrers. go nd get good nokia phone.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Stegeson(m): 11:24am On Mar 04, 2013
U have to be decisive. There ar many opposite sex in d camp. Go 4 one and remain there. Dnt be carried away by varieties or u wl loose all and get none. "Asaya camp and my tomato jos" i miss u all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Charbless(m): 11:51am On Mar 04, 2013
Thanks for d tip, jst left wit my bb for sokoto oooh!!!!!!!!. Does dat mobile charger work on bb?
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by trix1: 11:52am On Mar 04, 2013
Okija_juju: [b]

5. MAmmy Market is your friend.. If you are an Ajebutter like me who is very particular about where and what I eat, you can do what I did. Find a Mammy Market stall you are comfortable with, make friends with the owner and have her prepare you whatever you want to eat. Just inform her in advance. I served in Obubra and had this one Mammy Market woman who really took care of me. I will just tell her that Tomorrow, I want X soup with Pounded Yam and Dog meat (just kidding about the Dog meat sha) and she would cook it, bring it and give me my bill which was alarmingly cheap (Max. 3'k).

5. Buy as many BYC white shirts and White Shorts as you can afford. I Bought 14 BYCs, 14 Shorts and 14 pairs of white socks. I advice this because of the following reasons;

13. ENDURANCE TREK!!: I personally enjoyed this part of camp. I completed mine. Even had to cross a river by canoe at some point. Now listen!! Your NYSC issued jungle boots are useless cheap piece of trash that is no good for nothing but the dust bin.. For your endurance trek, please find a pair of realy good quality trainers,( I bought a pair of military spec jungle boot from the U.K you can also find some in the market that is military spec and not Converses o!!) and wear. If you must use the NYSC issue, make sure its a comfortable fit. Otherwise, wear the thickest pair of socks you can find. Otherwise, you will be bleeding and injured all over your feet by the time you are done.

[/b]

Bros, you are highly mouthed!!

2 Likes

Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by AbrantieGH(m): 12:11pm On Mar 04, 2013
What exactly is the purpose of NYSC? For an outsider it seems kinda stvpid.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Tunjman(m): 12:29pm On Mar 04, 2013
1. Your khaki gets smaller with every wash therefore, don't over-amend it.

2. For those who are posted to states where muontains abound, mind how you wear perfumes and other deodorants to avoid bee sting

3. Those who will be traveling for long hours, ensure you always exercise your feet when you have stop-overs

4. Always keep your valuables in your waist bag and don't go to camp with too much hi-tech gadgets (You won't have anybody to hold responsible if they are stolen)

5. If your skin reacts to water, make sure you have your disinfectants with you.

6. Prepare to live 3 weeks regimented life

7. Ladies/ Women Don't throw yourself at platoon commandants to influence your posting, most of them are just out to have the canal knowledge of you.

8. Always report to the clinic whenever you feel sick

9. Platoon 11 are the vans that come behind corps members during endurance trek, sit on one of them if you can't endure the trek

10. Ensure your data are properly documented in the book of life, it is from the book your discharge certificate is prepared

11. Don't eat carelessly

12. Never underestimate the power of networking, make friends with serious minded fellow (They might be the connection you need to secure a good job)

13. Play active roles in camp activities (inter-platoon cooking competition, sports, sanitation etc).

14. No matter how tired you may be after every activity, always make sure you pray to your God.

I wish you all a hitch-free orientation.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by lawizle(m): 12:53pm On Mar 04, 2013
Okija_juju: [b]1. Dont be late in getting to camp!! Infact, be early so your registration can be stress free.

2. Avoid Camp Food. YES!! Camp food is made by a bunch of unprofessional cooks who just throw the miserly food ingredients given to them to make that crap called food. Its not the faults of these women but the government/NYSC officials. The best foods are made on Sundays.. grin

3. Respect yourself and dont break the rules.

4. DONT BE AFRAID OF ANYBODY IN CAMP!! YES! The soldiers cant beat you. Neither the Civil Defense & Police. They can only drill you, but if you are tired, just squat on the floor and tell them you are tired. SIMPLE! Dont be rude because you can be thrown into the jail (After a camp court trial sha), but you dont have to do the frog jumps, press ups, e.t.c if you dont want to!

5. MAmmy Market is your friend.. If you are an Ajebutter like me who is very particular about where and what I eat, you can do what I did. Find a Mammy Market stall you are comfortable with, make friends with the owner and have her prepare you whatever you want to eat. Just inform her in advance. I served in Obubra and had this one Mammy Market woman who really took care of me. I will just tell her that Tomorrow, I want X soup with Pounded Yam and Dog meat (just kidding about the Dog meat sha) and she would cook it, bring it and give me my bill which was alarmingly cheap (Max. 3'k).

6. Sew your Khakis fromhome before coming to Camp. This is the only way to enjoy your NYSC uniform as it will be tailor made for you to fit. You will end up looking smarter and sharper than the rest of your fellow corp members.

5. Buy as many BYC white shirts and White Shorts as you can afford. I Bought 14 BYCs, 14 Shorts and 14 pairs of white socks. I advice this because of the following reasons;

a. The NYSC issue Shirts & Shorts are so inferior that they either tear while you are still fitting them on, or they will tear while you are washing them.

b. NYSC Camps are filled with thieves..Chances are you will lose those shirts and shorts to thieves after each wash. Sometimes, even the Camp helpers (errand boys) are the ones who will rob you.

6. Get yourself a sling bag.. This should be where all your valuables must be inside. Always keep it with you even when you are having a shower or taking a Dump.

7. Dont get caught in this trap: A lot of Corpers come into camp and want to immediately start 'runsing' their posting to the states capital. In the Process, Many girls especially get taken advantage of sexually by all and sundry. Even boys also get financially exploited for this. I was a Platoon leader and know this first hand. None of the following people have the power to influence your postings;

a. The Army

b. Civil Defense

c. Police

d. Platoon Leaders

e. .....

A lot of girls get exploited by these people with the promise of influencing their postings. Thats why there is always a festival of tears at the end of each camping season from girls that have been used for nothing.

8. Make friends!! Make Friends!! make Friends!!!! Very important. Make friends with both Corp members and NYSC officials as they will come in handy at different points throughout your 1 year season.

9. Enjoy yourself in Camp. Its a 3 week experience that always ends up being too short. This is the last time in many of your lives that you will ever get to have such an experience ever again. I call it the right of passage for every Nigerian graduate from Boys/girls to Young men/women. ENJOY IT!! I really missed camp when it ended.

10. Dont take up a position of responsibility if you have poor people skills.. NYSC PLATOON LEADERS dey suffer. Dealing with Nigerian Graduates is worse than dealing with market women. They are unruly and uncultured. I speak generally based on the numbers you have to face. Some are just pleasant and lovely, but most are pure arseholes.. My assistant once left my platoon hungry because they pissed her off. I swear its a service that you dont get paid for that comes with alot of insults. If you do, be ready to give your all including your money.

11. Pack Condoms.. I no need to tell you that all call-up letters carry an afrodisiac in it that makes the girls horn`y as hell.. Even Married women are not left out. Virtually every chick in Camp is fair game to a sharp guy. However, whatever you do, please wear the Proper PPE before entering the work site. grin

12. Beware of Fire Drill.. This is a drill that is done on a random night where a Bonfire is lit outside and in the middle of the night, the soldiers sneak into your rooms with the lights out and all of a sudden start a ruckus, screaming FIRE!!! FIREE!!!!! FIREEE!!!!!!!! Banging things, creating pandamonium. Sending your rooms into a panic frenzy! People will start running for the exits at break neck speed. Remember that there is no light so people will run into obstacles, fall and get very injured. In my time, 3 boys ended up in the hospital with really deep cuts from the metal bunk beds. PLEASE! When you hear that scream of Fire!! You will most likely jump and be ready to run like other will most definitely be doing! Please regain your composure eary and remember that I told you aboutthis drill! Just lay quietly on your bunk and wait for the chaos to subside before leaving the room. Dont even fret should you see a soldier banging on your bunk or any such thing.

13. ENDURANCE TREK!!: I personally enjoyed this part of camp. I completed mine. Even had to cross a river by canoe at some point. Now listen!! Your NYSC issued jungle boots are useless cheap piece of trash that is no good for nothing but the dust bin.. For your endurance trek, please find a pair of realy good quality trainers,( I bought a pair of military spec jungle boot from the U.K you can also find some in the market that is military spec and not Converses o!!) and wear. If you must use the NYSC issue, make sure its a comfortable fit. Otherwise, wear the thickest pair of socks you can find. Otherwise, you will be bleeding and injured all over your feet by the time you are done.

14. Corpers with unique medical and other needs.. E.g Asthma... Please bring with you enough inhalers to last you for a month.. Remember that the activities in camp are stressful and may trigger your attacks more than usual. Please protect yourself well. And to those with other medical needs, please bring your medications with you o!! Camp clinic is just french for Mortuary. Girl bring in your sanitary towels, paracetamols, e.t.c...

15. If you own a Blackberry, Iphone, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia Lumia, e.t.c.. Please my honest advice is toleave it at home. Chances are you will be too busy to even remember those phones. HOWEVER!! Should you choose to bring them with you, go and buy these back-up mobile chargers so you can charge these phones while you sleep. In the day time, you send those battery chargers to the guys to charge for you. That way, your phones and baterries never leave your sight!
[img]http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/pi/mp/17285/6753330507p?src=http://www.jmosskingsley.com/images/41rQrBeWtCL.jpg&d=f17e17d559196408dbc2dc217f0233ec08bbe58f[/img]

........................................................................................................................

16. ... NYSC is gonna be one of the best times of your life... #Enjoy it!

May be edited later to add more..
[/b]
j

Tanx for d info...can I go along with my timberland boots if I can't get d military specs jungle boots?
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Okijajuju1(m): 12:58pm On Mar 04, 2013
lawizle: j

Tanx for d info...can I go along with my timberland boots if I can't get d military specs jungle boots?

I think you can.. But what ever you do, make sure you are comfortable in it and can walk around in it for at least 6 hours non-stop.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by preciousgift(f): 1:18pm On Mar 04, 2013
lynpetra: Thanks love.Not happy tho.was posted to Akwa Ibom.Worked Abuja but failed cry cry cry cry embarassed embarassed :- embarassed
U shld be hapi coz akwaibom ayaya
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by nikkypearl(f): 1:38pm On Mar 04, 2013
Well,lemme share my own experience.The ladies were not allowed 2wear earings when I was serving,your hair must not touch yo neck,u av to wrap it up!nd d exercise den was hell 4me! but anytym we were out on the field,all I do is pretend 2FAINT,it went on and on,not until d day Sum1 poured water inside my nose!

1 Like

Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by PasD(m): 1:48pm On Mar 04, 2013
Pls for Ђδω long would the camp be open? I intend to leave on thursday from imo state to benue. Any advice for me?
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Jaideyone(m): 1:51pm On Mar 04, 2013
Please i need advice. I've been posted to abia state and my sister is going to be in rivers. I know both states share a common boundary. I'm wondering if it's possible for someone to drive us down to both places since they are kind of close. My questions are

1.) can we drive down to abia first then rivers or maybe rivers first then abia?

2.) how far is the distance between abia camp and rivers state camp

3.) what are the possible routes we can use? Which route is the fastest? Which one is the most convinient?

i'm awaiting replies. Thanks in advance
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 04, 2013
For those of you shouting CONDOM CONDOM know that if u are caught that will be all for u. **Decamping things** but that will be after exposing u and ur partner in the parade ground(usually after morning drill).

I dont know about any other camp but Abuja camp was really fun. the food(they brought 21 COWS for the 21 days the entire camping lasted. Then the shocker of our life when 10 additional COWs were brought for the ten platoons to enable them prepare their meals for camp fire night. we even had to do Dogo Lmma and suya admist so many other traditional cuisines. Finally our Sunday Sunday Chrismax as they call it, where we are served a whole chicken lap/wing along with extra delicious rice), the connection and exposed friends, the dorms and the bunks are far above par! Had to repocket my money cos its no used eating at the mammy again, unless we wanna drink beer with its attendant meat and roasted fish.

Will always regale the days I spent in that Camp.

3 Likes

Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Nobody: 1:57pm On Mar 04, 2013
Jaidey-one:
Please i need advice. I've been posted to abia state and my sister is going to be in rivers. I know both states share a common boundary. I'm wondering if it's possible for someone to drive us down to both places since they are kind of close. My questions are

1.) can we drive down to abia first then rivers or maybe rivers first then abia?

2.) how far is the distance between abia camp and rivers state camp

3.) what are the possible routes we can use? Which route is the fastest? Which one is the most convinient?

i'm awaiting replies. Thanks in advance

It depends on where you are coming from. Although this will be stressfull if both of you insist on using same vehicle. Y not travel on your own and your sister does same? Abia state shares common boundary with Rivers but the Camp is far apart from each other. Still depends on your take-off point like already said.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Jaideyone(m): 2:02pm On Mar 04, 2013
Ishsoph:

It depends on where you are coming from. Although this will be stressfull if both of you insist on using same vehicle. Y not travel on your own and your sister does same? Abia state shares common boundary with Rivers but the Camp is far apart from each other. Still depends on your take-off point like already said.
we are going to take off from lagos. We intend to do so with a couple of other school mates who are also serving in rivers
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by gboodoo(m): 2:30pm On Mar 04, 2013
u people re spoiling d fun by des posts. d fun is learnin by experience. allow dem 2 learn by demselves.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Pque(m): 2:32pm On Mar 04, 2013
Pls, can someone answer dis questions. Might b a foolish Q. though.
1--Pls, what is swearing in day. What hapens there nd it's significance.
2-- When is usually nd normally d swearing in day. Where does it take place.
3--Pls, what is majorly contain in a call up letter and when nd where is it given.
Plssss.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Pque(m): 2:34pm On Mar 04, 2013
Pls, can someone answer dis questions. Might b a foolish Q. though.
3--Pls, what is majorly contain in a call up letter and when nd where is it given.
Plssss.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Emmy9ite(m): 2:41pm On Mar 04, 2013
lynpetra: Thanks love.Not happy tho.was posted to Akwa Ibom.Worked Abuja but failed cry cry cry cry embarassed embarassed :- embarassed
welcome to Akwa Ibom, the land of opportunities! You will surely enjoy yourself especially in Uyo. I am a proud Tuskite. Cheers
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Pque(m): 3:03pm On Mar 04, 2013
Abrantie GH: What exactly is the purpose of NYSC? For an outsider it seems kinda stvpid.

bring youth from different culture nd region 2geda. Makes u 2 know ur selves better nd makes a person to know pple nd culture from d region he serves better, since it is design dat an individual 4rm a part of d country is sent to another part of d country. Nigeria is heterogenous in nature. Pple from diverse culture. Hence, NYSC promotes unity nd oneness btw d countrymen.
U gain experience rather dan believing any false nd formed tale u heard frm other pple concerning a state.
Finanly, it is an experience nd story dat mark d end of ur tale as a primary student. Ma guy it is generally a fun nd can b a terible experience 4 some.
I have heard youth in south west saying they wil like to work in south east where they served.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by NoQualms1(f): 3:05pm On Mar 04, 2013
Don't go with khaki at all, it will be seized at the entrance to the camp except you are lucky. Infact, don't go with any clothing that has nysc written on it or has nysc logo printed on it.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Pque(m): 3:27pm On Mar 04, 2013
Okija_juju:

I think you can.. But what ever you do, make sure you are comfortable in it and can walk around in it for at least 6 hours non-stop.

Impossiblecant can never b possible 4 me. Brosss! Hope d endurance trek no b 4 6 hours? I go only dey walk for about 6hrs. Ko possible. What an impossiblecant!

Pls ans dis questions thanks.
Might b a foolish Q. though.
Plssss.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Okijajuju1(m): 3:49pm On Mar 04, 2013
Pque:

Impossiblecant can never b possible 4 me. Brosss! Hope d endurance trek no b 4 6 hours? I go only dey walk for about 6hrs. Ko possible. What an impossiblecant!

Pls ans dis questions thanks.
Might b a foolish Q. though.
Plssss.

[b]1. Swearing in day is like the ceremony that kicks off Camp (Officially!). Its the Day that a Government Dignitary (Normally the Governor of your State of deployment) comes to Camp and does what is called 'a swearing in' ceremony. Prior to that day, all the corp members in your camp would have been rehearsing a March-past for him. You will all stand in line, raise up your right hands and repeat a bunch of words after him. After that, you all have been sworn in and are officially Corp members. Your next Parade of significance would be your Passing out Parade (at the end of your one year).

2. Swearing in is normally 1 week from the day the camp starts. Infact, Its noprmally the first weekend after the start of Camp. Takes place atthe Camps Parade ground and all corp members must be present.

3. I cant help you with this one. I picked up my call-up letter from NYSC HQ Abuja. Normally, its given out in schools in Nigeria. It contains rules and regulations that will serve as a guide to you in camp. [/b]
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by AbrantieGH(m): 3:49pm On Mar 04, 2013
Pque:

bring youth from different culture nd region 2geda. Makes u 2 know ur selves better nd makes a person to know pple nd culture from d region he serves better, since it is design dat an individual 4rm a part of d country is sent to another part of d country. Nigeria is heterogenous in nature. Pple from diverse culture. Hence, NYSC promotes unity nd oneness btw d countrymen.
U gain experience rather dan believing any false nd formed tale u heard frm other pple concerning a state.
Finanly, it is an experience nd story dat mark d end of ur tale as a primary student. Ma guy it is generally a fun nd can b a terible experience 4 some.
I have heard youth in south west saying they wil like to work in south east where they served.

Thanks.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by yahwehreigns: 3:59pm On Mar 04, 2013
Pls join NCCF in camp if U are a christian. It rily worth it.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Pque(m): 4:08pm On Mar 04, 2013
Okija_juju:

[b]1. Swearing in day is like the ceremony that kicks off Camp (Officially!). Its the Day that a Government Dignitary (Normally the Governor of your State of deployment) comes to Camp and does what is called 'a swearing in' ceremony. Prior to that day, all the corp members in your camp would have been rehearsing a March-past for him. You will all stand in line, raise up your right hands and repeat a bunch of words after him. After that, you all have been sworn in and are officially Corp members. Your next Parade of significance would be your Passing out Parade (at the end of your one year).

2. Swearing in is normally 1 week from the day the camp starts. Infact, Its noprmally the first weekend after the start of Camp. Takes place atthe Camps Parade ground and all corp members must be present.

3. I cant help you with this one. I picked up my call-up letter from NYSC HQ Abuja. Normally, its given out in schools in Nigeria. It contains rules and regulations that will serve as a guide to you in camp. [/b]

Thakns a lot, it is helpful.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Pque(m): 4:09pm On Mar 04, 2013
Okija_juju:

Thakns a lot, it is helpful.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Corper Proposes To Female Soldier In Kwara NYSC Camp (Video) / Corper Rocks NYSC 'Khaki' Uniform In Dubai, UAE (pics/vid) / Little Boy Wears NYSC Uniform To Hawk Groundnut (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.