Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,970 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp (54935 Views)

Corps Member Dies At Enugu Orientation Camp / NYSC Batch B 2015: Requirements For Orientation Camp / Pictures From NYSC Orientation Camp In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Rizstar: 4:32pm On Mar 04, 2013
Jaidey-one:
we are going to take off from lagos. We intend to do so with a couple of other school mates who are also serving in rivers
i ll advice all of u 2 board a nyt bus wich wil arive aba in d nxt morning. Alight in aba main park n tk a bus going 2 igbere where abia state camp is located. ur broda n frnds can cont. wit same bus dat brought u 2 aba 2 ph wich is definitly dier last bus stop.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by lawizle(m): 4:48pm On Mar 04, 2013
Okija_juju:

I think you can.. But what ever you do, make sure you are comfortable in it and can walk around in it for at least 6 hours non-stop.

6hoursWTF is nysc all aboutpraaa!!
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by gomeek(f): 5:16pm On Mar 04, 2013
lynpetra: Thanks love.Not happy tho.was posted to Akwa Ibom.Worked Abuja but failed cry cry cry cry embarassed embarassed :- embarassed
they probly mistook d A for AK,sowie o
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 04, 2013
Jaidey-one:
we are going to take off from lagos. We intend to do so with a couple of other school mates who are also serving in rivers

Sorry I'v been really busy with work. In that case since a greater number is going to River State, go with them. When you arrive ask for direction on where and how to enter motor to Abia state(umuahia precisely). Its less than 2 hours journey.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by gomeek(f): 5:26pm On Mar 04, 2013
Jaidey-one:
Please i need advice. I've been posted to abia state and my sister is going to be in rivers. I know both states share a common boundary. I'm wondering if it's possible for someone to drive us down to both places since they are kind of close. My questions are

1.) can we drive down to abia first then rivers or maybe rivers first then abia?

2.) how far is the distance between abia camp and rivers state camp

3.) what are the possible routes we can use? Which route is the fastest? Which one is the most convinient?

i'm awaiting replies. Thanks in advance
pls do u live in Abj?i was posted to Abia too
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Kulfrank: 5:38pm On Mar 04, 2013
I hear say aba condom dy town oh...shine ur eyez
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 04, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this piece. I just forwarded the link of this page to a relative. More grease to your elbow.
To all corpers going to camp, obey the rules and you will not have any problems. And don't forget to have lots of fun.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by DD01(f): 6:47pm On Mar 04, 2013
Thanks alot.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by senatorfrancis(m): 6:54pm On Mar 04, 2013
Tanks my dear cos I will be in camp tomorrow
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by blackbeau1(f): 8:34am On Mar 05, 2013
One more important tip.don't for any reason carry too much luggage.you'll be required to carry your luggage on your head.its not a funny experience when you carry a big box like I did. And don't let anyone decieve you that any camp is special. As far as you are in camp,you'll be treated like every other otondo.this advice is mostly for those in abuja camp.if you know you have a large chip on your shoulder,please,leave it at the gate.on your way back home after three weeks,you can put it back on your shoulder
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by blackbeau1(f): 8:41am On Mar 05, 2013
Ishsoph: For those of you shouting CONDOM CONDOM know that if u are caught that will be all for u. **Decamping things** but that will be after exposing u and ur partner in the parade ground(usually after morning drill).

I dont know about any other camp but Abuja camp was really fun. the food(they brought 21 COWS for the 21 days the entire camping lasted. Then the shocker of our life when 10 additional COWs were brought for the ten platoons to enable them prepare their meals for camp fire night. we even had to do Dogo Lmma and suya admist so many other traditional cuisines. Finally our Sunday Sunday Chrismax as they call it, where we are served a whole chicken lap/wing along with extra delicious rice), the connection and exposed friends, the dorms and the bunks are far above par! Had to repocket my money cos its no used eating at the mammy again, unless we wanna drink beer with its attendant meat and roasted fish.

Will always regale the days I spent in that Camp.
pls which year was this? Cause I'm batch c and surely,I can rememeber we didn't have campp fire.infact we had a fire drill by 1 that morning
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by eldoradoxx: 9:50am On Mar 05, 2013
The biggest secret to use to avoid unnecessary painful punishment. Soldiers can never go physical on you (its forbidden of them to do that ). However they can punish you for as long as you "cooperate" with them. If you get tired of any corporal punishment like frog jump, picking pin, etc just lay down on the floor and never get up no matter what, let him lift u and carry u if he can, lol . By doing so, u frustrate the soldier as he is forbidden from touching nor forcing u to continue nor even beat u

2 Likes

Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Emeka71(m): 1:19pm On Mar 05, 2013
Ok NYSC camp opens today Nation-wide; hurray! I've missed out of this batch due to JAMB regularization thing. I now look forard to July.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Okijajuju1(m): 1:50pm On Mar 05, 2013
Ishsoph: For those of you shouting CONDOM CONDOM know that if u are caught that will be all for u. **Decamping things** but that will be after exposing u and ur partner in the parade ground(usually after morning drill).

I dont know about any other camp but Abuja camp was really fun. the food(they brought 21 COWS for the 21 days the entire camping lasted. Then the shocker of our life when 10 additional COWs were brought for the ten platoons to enable them prepare their meals for camp fire night. we even had to do Dogo Lmma and suya admist so many other traditional cuisines. Finally our Sunday Sunday Chrismax as they call it, where we are served a whole chicken lap/wing along with extra delicious rice), the connection and exposed friends, the dorms and the bunks are far above par! Had to repocket my money cos its no used eating at the mammy again, unless we wanna drink beer with its attendant meat and roasted fish.

Will always regale the days I spent in that Camp.

Cross Rivers State Camp..All I saw were 2 Cow that were donated by the Director General of NYSC... Even our Sunday special sef no make sense..

Please, don't remind me of Obubra Camp... Even hell no go bad like that..
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by informat101(f): 12:13am On Mar 06, 2013
Great write up.very informative.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by bones101(m): 3:38pm On Jun 06, 2013
[quote author=lexiie]Quick Tips And Advice For Youth Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp

1. There are washer men and women available at your disposal for mostly the Aje-butter children and those who do not want to stress themselves. I can proudly say I used them. Registration stops 12 midnight preceding swearing –in day.

2. Never forget to wear your cap

3. You would be given your meal ticket. Never misplace it. I actually never used mine till end of camp.

4. I never knew what otondos meant ==MUMU

5. Adjustment of clothes: You definitely have to adjust your khaki given, no one escapes this. Make sure you do this on time and also make sure you follow those tailors up if not you would be given flimsy excuses. Ensure you negotiate price for adjustment very well. They think you have money to waste.

6. You would meet different types of human beings the crazy, spoilt, razz, dirty, complicated, stupid, holy, party, drunk, beautiful, ugly, different tribes etc. Be open-minded and smile at someone. New friends! The truth of the matter is, you shouldn't go through camp alone.

7. Read your call up letter thoroughly both back and front

8. Just have enough t-shirts and shorts to wear throughout the week because some camps, the activities are time consuming leaving little or no time for you during the week till weekend.

9. You will be fed three times a day in camp, but the food is barely edible. The kitchen is run by incredibly hard working women who are assisted by fellow otondos from different platoons assigned to the kitchen for each meal.

10. If you are someone who loves to eat good food, or you don’t want to have the mammy feel, no problem just come loaded to camp with provisions. Like cereals and beverages, garri, biscuits etc. You should also hold extra cash to eat at the Mammy market, you will get good food there and won’t spend much to eat well, and the price however depends on the state to which you have been posted.

11. There are places available where you can charge your batteries at the camp market.

12. Always fetch water down for the next morning. You can be shocked that water supply might finish before it gets to your turn and that’s the end for you .As for drinking water you either bought pure water or bottled water; there was no free drinking water whatsoever.

13. Ladies try not to go with heavy or synthetic hair to avoid excess heat and time to care for it. You could advisable make short hair to avoid heat and save time, I did a short hair which lasted me three weeks, braids is also advisable, don’t do lace wig or even fringe.

14. Pocket Money: The question is “How much money do you really need for the NYSC Orientation Course, you will be paid a N1, 500 allowance once you arrive the NYSC camp and also another one (first ALLAWI) after 3 to 4 days on camp. if you intend to drink and hang out at the Mami market, then you can take more money depending on how much you can finish, be wise though!

15. Just be prepared to wait in line for EVERYTHING

16. The bathrooms and toilets are nothing to write home about. It is always dirty and terrible in fact if not careful disease could be contacted. Well some ladies don’t know about guys, had buckets for the sole purpose of relieving themselves with what I can call 'pit bucket'

17. Do not dare the soldiers, some can be ruthless and you know they have authority to deal with you in name of discipline.

18. Always switch your phones off or put them on silent while on parade ground. Just don’t bring it out, it could be seized and destroyed not minding if it’s a blackberry z10.

19. The accommodation was something else. Rooms were jam-packed with little or no space to pass and walk freely. I had up to 60 roommates if not more. It was always stuffy, dirty and ventilation was poor.

20. There are fellowships for Christians and Muslims. The 3 recognized associations are NCCF (NIGERIAN CHRISTAIN CORPERS FELLOWHIP), NACC (ANGLICAN) and MCAN (MUSLIM CORPERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA). But there were others like Redeemed, Winners, catholic, Christ embassy and deeper life. So you could make your choice. Also they have morning devotions and weekly service.

Overall, the NYSC camp was fun and I met a lot of people and I can say it was worth it was well worth it. It is an experience every Nigerian should have.
I will be here waiting to see you again with your comments and experiences on camp.
Till then wishing you a successful NYSC YEAR .may you all go and come in peace and not in pieces.

all these things? it sounds like a peace keeping mission. would they allow walkman cds?
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Nielbaba(m): 6:07pm On Jun 06, 2013
gomeek:
they probly mistook d A for AK,sowie o
have u seen where u posted to ?
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Yvete(f): 8:32pm On Jun 06, 2013
lexiie: 16. The bathrooms and toilets are nothing to write home about. It is always dirty and terrible in fact if not careful disease could be contacted. Well some ladies don’t know about guys, had buckets for the sole purpose of relieving themselves with what I can call 'pit bucket'

19. I had up to 60 roommates if not more. It was always stuffy, dirty and ventilation was poor.

Gross! sad
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by lexiie(f): 8:06pm On Jun 22, 2013
[quote author=bones101][/quote]
of course why wont they . ahan are you going to solitude .
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by lexiie(f): 8:07pm On Jun 22, 2013
Yvete:

Gross! sad
lol. welcome to camp
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by VeektourStober(m): 10:08pm On Oct 17, 2013
Wondrfl... Okiki I so mch av passion fr d media n preparin fr camp nxt year. Hw do I gt 2 b n wrk wif d OBS ?. . .
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by VeektourStober(m): 5:53am On Oct 18, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]
Okiki_Oluwa: Lovely write up. Just reminds me of my time as a Kopa. If you get mouth, you can write & speak fluent english, know about current affairs & sports, just join the Orientation Broadcasting Service (OBS). You ll enjoy your time with big boys & girls there & it may also fetch you a good posting to the city. If you are lucky to be among the chosen 4rm OBS, you ll automatically be posted to the glamorous Editorial CDS. "It's the king of all CDS". I enjoyed my time as a member, Advert Mgr & later the President in my batch. Money, big boys & girls, party, NYSC Projects, Community Dev Service etc. Was feeling emotional on my Passing Out Parade day cos of my Kopa friends that I was going to miss. I suppose cry like others but cos I be big boy, water no fit drop 4rm my eye...
Last bullet; Otondo means JJC.
#wishing all the new kopas a safe & fulfilled NYSC year ahead.
. Wondrfl... Okiki I so mch av passion fr d media n preparin fr camp nxt year. Hw do I gt 2 b n wrk wif d OBS ?. .
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by VeektourStober(m): 5:55am On Oct 18, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Lovely write up. Just reminds me of my time as a Kopa. If you get mouth, you can write & speak fluent english, know about current affairs & sports, just join the Orientation Broadcasting Service (OBS). You ll enjoy your time with big boys & girls there & it may also fetch you a good posting to the city. If you are lucky to be among the chosen 4rm OBS, you ll automatically be posted to the glamorous Editorial CDS. "It's the king of all CDS". I enjoyed my time as a member, Advert Mgr & later the President in my batch. Money, big boys & girls, party, NYSC Projects, Community Dev Service etc. Was feeling emotional on my Passing Out Parade day cos of my Kopa friends that I was going to miss. I suppose cry like others but cos I be big boy, water no fit drop 4rm my eye...
. Wondrfl... Okiki I so mch av passion fr d media n preparin fr camp nxt year. Hw do I gt 2 b n wrk wif d OBS ?. .
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
Veektour Stober: [color=#990000][/color]. Wondrfl... Okiki I so mch av passion fr d media n preparin fr camp nxt year. Hw do I gt 2 b n wrk wif d OBS ?. .
when u get 2 d NYSC camp, ask abt the OBS n join them.
Make sure u r up n doing cos people plenty wey wan join.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by XerXesNG(m): 10:56pm On Aug 02, 2014
This has been very helpful. A big thank you to the contributors!
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Ask4bigneyo(m): 3:58pm On Oct 31, 2014
Wishing all prospective Batch "C" Corp members safe trip to their various orientation camps.
SURVIVAL/SAFETY TIPS:
*Don't be carried away with the frivolousities on camp, allow God to make you His choicest aroma to bring His life to all Corpers.
*Pls don't lobby for postings, allow God to do His work.
*Know the son/daughter of whom you are before and after your postings.
*NEVER work alone expecially at night wherever you are posted to.
*Maintain your integrity, don't join bad company because the COMPANY you keep determines what ACCOMPANIES you and your friENDS determines your ENDS.
*Temptations will come but don't go beyond what you are sent to do in those villages.
*Make yourself available by joining NCCF(Rural Rugged) to propagate the Gospel of our dear Lord Jesus Christ to the villagers or MCAN.
*Above all, always aknowledge God the Most Supreme Being in everything you do, allow His fear to envelop your mind and He will never leave nor farsake you.
SHALOM!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by VcStunner(m): 11:30pm On Oct 31, 2014
lynpetra:
Thanks love.Not happy tho.was posted to Akwa Ibom.Worked Abuja but failed cry cry cry cry embarassed embarassed :- embarassed
I wish u had met me u'll have a reason to be happy been posted to akwa ibom. I personally worked mine to d state. Wecome tho. We will see in camp. Try to be happy, u won't regret it I promise u
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Nobody: 1:52am On Nov 01, 2014
Which kind of shoe can b brougt as substitute shoe to camp for parade without being seized .. Pls I need reply
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 01, 2014
VcStunner:
I wish u had met me u'll have a reason to be happy been posted to akwa ibom. I personally worked mine to d state. Wecome tho. We will see in camp. Try to be happy, u won't regret it I promise u
Lol.I no be Corper again o.But I enjoyed the 3 months I spent ooo.I groove die before my relocation came and I returned back to Abuja.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by SirElaw(m): 10:28am On Nov 01, 2014
lynpetra:
Thanks love.Not happy tho.was posted to Akwa Ibom.Worked Abuja but failed cry cry cry cry embarassed embarassed :- embarassed
so how was the Akwa-Ibom camp. I've just been posted there and would like to have a first-hand view of your 3 weeks there.
Re: Quick Tips For Corpers Before Leaving For Orientation Camp by jumbo28(f): 5:44pm On Nov 01, 2014
Tnx to all who has contributed well in dis forum. coolTnx to all who has contributed well in dis forum.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Corper Proposes To Female Soldier In Kwara NYSC Camp (Video) / Corper Rocks NYSC 'Khaki' Uniform In Dubai, UAE (pics/vid) / Little Boy Wears NYSC Uniform To Hawk Groundnut (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.