Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,623 members, 7,816,565 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin (5051 Views)

How To Receive HOLY GHOST Baptism / Christ's Death Did Not Wash Away Your Sins! It Is A Wicked Delusion! / Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Leaknigerianews(m): 9:25pm On Mar 04, 2013
BAPTISM
What is Baptismp ?

According to dictionary.com baptism is immersion in or application of
water as a rite of purification and admission to the Christian Church.

Baptism immersion in water is proper way ......,when Philip had an
encounter with the Ethiopian Eunuch the bible say in the book of Act 8:38, 39 "So he commanded the chariot to stand still.And both Philip and the Eunuch went down into the water , and he baptized him."

"Now when they came up out the water, the spirit of the Lord caught
Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his
way rejoicing."

When Jesus came accross a Pharisee named Nicodemus, afterthe
conversation.JESUS and his disciple went into Judea.[JOhn 3:23] "Now
John also was baptizing in Aenonnear Salim, because the was much
water there. And they came and where baptized."

With the above prove you can go with me that Baptism must be carried
out in the water.
JESUS SET EXAMPLE
John the Baptist Prepares they way by preching in the wilderness of
Judea. And Jesus set a perfect example for christians to follow by
summiting himself and was baptised. [Matthew 3:13-15];

ONLY FOR THOSE OLD ENOUGH TO BE TAUGHT .

After Jesus died and risen All authority in Heaven and on Earth was
given to him and he said[Matthew 28:19, 20] "Go therefore and make disciple of the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and
of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," teaching the to observe all things
that i have commanded you and lo i am with you always even to the end
of the age"
After Peter's sermon on the coming of the Holy Spirit[Act 2:41] "Then
those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about 3,0000 soul were added to them.

BAPTISM DOES NOT WASH AWAY SINS .

Many christian all over the world believes that when you are baptized
it signify washing away of sin but the bible made it clear that Jesus
was not baptized to wash away sins he set an example that christian
should follow his steps
[1 peter 2:22]"Who committed no sin,Nor was deceit found in his mouth"; [1 peter 3:18]
Jesus' blood washes away sins not baptism [1John 1:7]"But if we walk in the light as he is in the light, we have
fellowship with one anothe, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son
cleanses us from all sin.

http://www.leaknigerianews.com/2012/12/baptism-does-not-wash-away-sin.html
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 04, 2013
[size=18pt]But.....but....I thought baptism was the spiritual omo that washes the soul whiter than ever before! shocked[/size]
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Leaknigerianews(m): 5:26am On Mar 05, 2013
No bro read those bible passage
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Nobody: 5:58am On Mar 05, 2013
Pentecostals and their yeye teachings.

St peter makes it clear in acts 2:38 that baptism is necessary for the forgiveness of sins.All in his first letter 1 pet 3:20-22 he says "baptism is what saves you now"

1 Peter 3:20-22

New International Version (NIV)

20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.[a] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by boarnerges: 7:24pm On Mar 08, 2013
baptism doesn't save you but keeps you safe. It is an answer of good conscience towards God. It is among the various phases of being born again as with natural birth. For those who are familiar with women's birth giving process; water breaks forth first then blood and the baby. Water, blood and life (spirit) as it typifies justification, santification and baptism of the holyghost. But true baptism is actually dying(immersion) and rising to newness of life in christ jesus as in the case of the theif at the cross. Above that,God commanded it, so do it in obedience. Cheers
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by kunlekunle: 7:38pm On Mar 08, 2013
after baptism you are a new creature, all your sins are washed away.
when you are dipped means you die unto christ and all your sins are buried in the water,
when you are lifted, you ressurect unto new life, like a baby without sin.
then you start a xtian life.
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by ichuka(m): 8:30pm On Mar 08, 2013
chukwudi44: Pentecostals and their yeye teachings.

St peter makes it clear in acts 2:38 that baptism is necessary for the forgiveness of sins.All in his first letter 1 pet 3:20-22 he says "baptism is what saves you now"

1 Peter 3:20-22

New International Version (NIV)

20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.[a] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him
So in essence the baptism of our Lord Jesus Christ @Jordan washes away His Sins abi? Or the thief @the cross came down went to a river and cleanses himself before going back to the cross to die shei?

1 Like

Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Ubenedictus(m): 10:26am On Mar 09, 2013
i.chuka:

So in essence the baptism of our Lord Jesus Christ @Jordan washes away His Sins abi? Or the thief @the cross came down went to a river and cleanses himself before going back to the cross to die shei?
jesus recieved baptism to set an example, and it is not an absolute necessity so d theif could still b safe. This doesnt negate d fact dat d bible says, b baptised 4 d 4givenes of sins and d reception of d H spirit.
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by wazobiaforu(m): 5:09pm On Mar 09, 2013
cheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy

My signature ..... Confussion every where, i think xtian now need to get the first bible and learn the language ...shebi we learn enlish ni?

All churches have Biblical backup to their doctrin ....
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by ichuka(m): 5:44pm On Mar 09, 2013
Ubenedictus: jesus recieved baptism to set an example, and it is not an absolute necessity so d theif could still b safe. This doesnt negate d fact dat d bible says, b baptised 4 d 4givenes of sins and d reception of d H spirit.
Dude
Water baptism is merely a declaration that a Christain is dead to the world and live his/her life to the dictects of the Holy Spirit.
Baptism or no Baptism as long as a Christain has receive Christ as His Lord and Savior,by so doing confesses his/her sins.his sins have been cleanses automatically.
Baptism have no part whatsoever in forgiveness or the cleanses of sin.

1 Like

Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Ubenedictus(m): 10:38pm On Mar 09, 2013
i.chuka:

Dude
Water baptism is merely a declaration that a Christain is dead to the world and live his/her life to the dictects of the Holy Spirit.
Baptism or no Baptism as long as a Christain has receive Christ as His Lord and Savior,by so doing confesses his/her sins.his sins have been cleanses automatically.
Baptism have no part whatsoever in forgiveness or the cleanses of sin.
and where does d bible say this
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by ichuka(m): 12:20am On Mar 10, 2013
Ubenedictus: and where does d bible say this
Go study Collosian2:11-14.
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by anjoh66: 12:53am On Mar 10, 2013
i.chuka:

Jesus recieved the baptism of John and that baptism didnt wash away sins, neither was it the purpose, as is clear from Acts 19:1-7

1And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

7 And all the men were about twelve.

It is quite clear from this that the baptism is necessary
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by ichuka(m): 1:38am On Mar 10, 2013
anjoh66:

Jesus recieved the baptism of John and that baptism didnt wash away sins, neither was it the purpose, as is clear from Acts 19:1-7

It is quite clear from this that the baptism is necessary
Necessary for what actually?
The baptism of John was merely declaring to the world that one has repented,as long as one has repented baptism or not wnt change that fact.
Likewise when we are been baptized in Christ.
The Water thing is merely a declaration to the world what has already taken place in ones live.
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by redsun(m): 2:25am On Mar 10, 2013
The only thing that washes away "sin" is clear conscience. We are own judges outside the man made law.

Our assumptions of sins and sinlessness are the things that enslaves and exonorates us.
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Goshen360(m): 3:44am On Mar 10, 2013
John's baptism is different from the Christian baptism. In John 1:23-27, John preaches to prepare their hearts and to look for the Messiah who is able to forgive sins. In John 1:29, he introduces Jesus as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Apparently, if water washes sin, John's water baptism would have done that and he (John) would not have looked forward to another (Christ) who takes away the 'sins' of the world. In verse 31-33, we find John is baptizing to reveal the Christ to Israel, his ministry is then to decrease and Jesus' is to increase.

In Matthew 3:11, John contrasts his baptism by water with Jesus' baptism by the Holy Spirit (Mk. 1:8 )."I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance but He who is coming after me is mightier than I. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." (Mk. 1:7-8 )

Acts 1:5, Jesus said to them "For John truly baptized with water; but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." Jesus is making a distinction between water and Spirit baptism, just as John did. John's water baptism always showed repentance - It looked forward to Christ whom they would receive. The Holy Spirit's work would be inward. This is the spiritual work of God to regenerate a believer and put them supernaturally in the body of Christ. Water can never wash away sins in a literal sense since it is from the outside.

The sin nature is inside which only God can reach and cleanse, which is why baptism must be viewed as a symbolic ceremony of the inward change by the Spirit Himself. Forgiveness and cleansing are in the person and work of Jesus, not the 'symbol' of cleansing itself via water baptism. To trust the ceremony alone or with Christ's work is spiritual suicide. From looking at all the text we find that John baptized people unto repentance looking forward to the Son of God, the Lamb who alone takes way our sins - John never could say your sins are forgiven or washed away via water baptism, but Jesus did without water baptism.

1 Like

Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by ijawkid(m): 8:01am On Mar 10, 2013
Goshen360: John's baptism is different from the Christian baptism. In John 1:23-27, John preaches to prepare their hearts and to look for the Messiah who is able to forgive sins. In John 1:29, he introduces Jesus as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Apparently, if water washes sin, John's water baptism would have done that and he (John) would not have looked forward to another (Christ) who takes away the 'sins' of the world. In verse 31-33, we find John is baptizing to reveal the Christ to Israel, his ministry is then to decrease and Jesus' is to increase.

In Matthew 3:11, John contrasts his baptism by water with Jesus' baptism by the Holy Spirit (Mk. 1:8 )."I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance but He who is coming after me is mightier than I. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." (Mk. 1:7-8 )

Acts 1:5, Jesus said to them "For John truly baptized with water; but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." Jesus is making a distinction between water and Spirit baptism, just as John did. John's water baptism always showed repentance - It looked forward to Christ whom they would receive. The Holy Spirit's work would be inward. This is the spiritual work of God to regenerate a believer and put them supernaturally in the body of Christ. Water can never wash away sins in a literal sense since it is from the outside.

The sin nature is inside which only God can reach and cleanse, which is why baptism must be viewed as a symbolic ceremony of the inward change by the Spirit Himself. Forgiveness and cleansing are in the person and work of Jesus, not the 'symbol' of cleansing itself via water baptism. To trust the ceremony alone or with Christ's work is spiritual suicide. From looking at all the text we find that John baptized people unto repentance looking forward to the Son of God, the Lamb who alone takes way our sins - John never could say your sins are forgiven or washed away via water baptism, but Jesus did without water baptism.

You see the reason why I call u my elder bro??.....cheesy......good explanation.....baptism by water is just a symbol of ones dedication to do Yahwehs will...........chikena!!!.....
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by ParisLove1: 8:18am On Mar 10, 2013
Goshen360: John's baptism is different from the Christian baptism. In John 1:23-27, John preaches to prepare their hearts and to look for the Messiah who is able to forgive sins. In John 1:29, he introduces Jesus as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Apparently, if water washes sin, John's water baptism would have done that and he (John) would not have looked forward to another (Christ) who takes away the 'sins' of the world. In verse 31-33, we find John is baptizing to reveal the Christ to Israel, his ministry is then to decrease and Jesus' is to increase.

Are you saying immersion in water kind of baptism is no longer needed/required?
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Goshen360(m): 2:41pm On Mar 10, 2013
^^^
That's not what this thread is about and that's not what I'm saying. This thread is about whether the physical water in baptism itself is what washes away our sin? The answer is NO. Should we be baptized into water by immersion? YES!

1 Like

Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by ParisLove1: 8:31pm On Mar 10, 2013
^^^

Yea, yea. If we've upgraded to baptism by holy spirit due to the coming of Christ why still hang on to immersion by water kinda baptism?
"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance but He who is coming after me is mightier than I. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." (Mk. 1:7-8 )
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Ubenedictus(m): 7:22am On Mar 11, 2013
i.chuka:

Go study Collosian2:11-14.
that passage supports baptism. Pls show me where d bible says baptism is not important and accepting Jesus as personal lord and saviour is important
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Ubenedictus(m): 7:25am On Mar 11, 2013
i.chuka:

Necessary for what actually?
The baptism of John was merely declaring to the world that one has repented,as long as one has repented baptism or not wnt change that fact.
Likewise when we are been baptized in Christ.
The Water thing is merely a declaration to the world what has already taken place in ones live.
the bible doesnt agree with you, my bible says "baptism saves you now", it also says " be baptised for d forgiveness of sins and the reception of the spirit"
if u cant read d scriptures then i'm sorry.
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Ubenedictus(m): 7:28am On Mar 11, 2013

ur last statement just made the whole thing sound funny.
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Ubenedictus(m): 7:31am On Mar 11, 2013
Goshen360: ^^^
That's not what this thread is about and that's not what I'm saying. This thread is about whether the physical water in baptism itself is what washes away our sin? The answer is NO. Should we be baptized into water by immersion? YES!
no! The thread isn't about whether d physical water washes away sins. The thread is asking "does baptism wash away sins?" simple question.
Re: Baptism Does Not Wash Away Sin by Ubenedictus(m): 7:33am On Mar 11, 2013
Paris_Love: ^^^

Yea, yea. If we've upgraded to baptism by holy spirit due to the coming of Christ why still hang on to immersion by water kinda baptism?
hehehe, so d apostles no get sense abi?

(1) (Reply)

90 Year Old Joseph's Marriage To 12 Year Old Mary - Where Is Common Sense? / JESUS' TWO NATURES: GOD AND MAN / The Supernatural Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.