Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality (42454 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tax Chief With Fraudulent Degree - The FCT Post / Typical Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian Mentality: "Husband, Wife And Donkey" Comic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 7:34pm On Mar 07, 2013
x-fire:
Una never finish this debate? embarassed see argument and counterargument. Thread has even almost derailed. Now na ASUU strike una dey argue grin I hail everyone.
I learn from debates like this. When I hear the mention of the Great Ife, I almost..........

You almost do wetin? No fear ooo just yarn your mind
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 7:35pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

come to the UK, i will take you to aberdeen and meet engineers who never stepped foot in any uni and are managing big time projects. they are the ones that would even decide what you should earn on a daily basis! are you kidding me?

this dayo go sabi math o.........
laplace transforms, runge-kutta(cheiiiii) gauss-seidel, jacobi method, etc.....

Just so that we are on the same page. Can you please explain what a petroleum engineer does? I strongly believe you do not understand the job functions of a petroleum engineer.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 7:39pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline: Guy I have worked in Aberdeen. There are no such petroleum engineers there.

that's the problem - it's easy to think all those dudes have a university degree but they don't! their years of experience and an associate's degree are what got them there. let me close this argument once and for all.

these are the top 40 paying jobs that don't require a university degree.....

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-40-highest-paying-jobs-you-can-get-without-a-bachelors-degree-2012-8?op=1

i doubt you make as much as the ones in the top 10 with your "reputable" petroleum engineering job! don't argue with logic - anyone that has a GCE certificate can/will do your job even better than you.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 7:43pm On Mar 07, 2013
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 7:56pm On Mar 07, 2013
x-fire:

I almost shout GREAT!! cool I rep Great Ife, chemical engineering. Though that school show me ooo

Which year you finish?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by KayDee4: 7:56pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar: come to the UK, i will take you to aberdeen and meet engineers who never stepped foot in any uni and are managing big time projects. they are the ones that would even decide what you should earn on a daily basis! are you kidding me?

I'm sure they are well experienced.

coogar: i doubt you make as much as the ones in the top 10 with your "reputable" petroleum engineering job! don't argue with logic - anyone that has a GCE certificate can/will do your job even better than you.

GCE ke !! If it's backed by years of valuable relevant experience.

Depends on the level off risk the employer is willing to take, you can choose to employ misfits that will play trial and error with your business or you employ people who know what to do to get good results even if they are tossed into the deep end.

There's a reason Exxon doesn't employ BSc holders (as pros.) into some departments, it has to be an MSc or higher. Hundreds of millions of dollars per well drilled no be beans - no 'dry holes' allowed.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 7:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

that's the problem - it's easy to think all those dudes have a university degree but they don't! their years of experience and an associate's degree are what got them there. let me close this argument once and for all.

these are the top 40 paying jobs that don't require a university degree.....

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-40-highest-paying-jobs-you-can-get-without-a-bachelors-degree-2012-8?op=1

i doubt you make as much as the ones in the top 10 with your "reputable" petroleum engineering job! don't argue with logic - anyone that has a GCE certificate can/will do your job even better than you.

Guy your posts are just filled with fallacies of improper assumption. The fact that you assume those guys do not have a degree does not make it true. I can confidently say you are an outsider to the oil industry. You hear gists here and there and use your native intelligence to fill in spaces and make it sound like you are informed. And I didn't see petroleum engineering in the list you posted. You think talking about their pay makes any impression. Guy if I start talking pay here you people will accuse me of arrogance again.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by KayDee4: 8:03pm On Mar 07, 2013
Soon we go hear say native doctor sef fit do surgeon work.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 8:03pm On Mar 07, 2013
Kay-Dee:

Depends on the level off risk the employer is willing to take, you can choose to employ misfits that will play trial and error with your business or you employ people who know what to do to get good results even if they are tossed into the deep end.

There's a reason Exxon doesn't employ BSc holders (as pros.) into some departments, it has to be an MSc or higher. Hundreds of millions of dollars per well drilled no be beans - no 'dry holes' allowed.

Yet, most work done in that regard are contracted out to third-party companies, NO??
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 8:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
dayokanu:

Which year you finish? Me na 2004
Pardon me I am not bold enough to say that here kiss
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 8:09pm On Mar 07, 2013
Kay-Dee:

Is that completely true? Name one department Mobil doesn't employ BSc holders. What do you mean by as pros?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by KayDee4: 8:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
x-fire:

Is that completely true? Name one department Mobil doesn't employ BSc holders. What do you mean by as pros?
Geosciences.
*professionals*

If they do, you will be a contract staff.

Dunno if its changed in Nigeria but its still the same here in the US. Chevron US wont even look at BSc degrees from their own US schools.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by KayDee4: 8:15pm On Mar 07, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Yet, most work done in that regard are contracted out to third-party companies, NO??

Yeah, contracted for the drilling aspect, all the drilling contractors have to do is follow orders and monitor progress. But who decides where to drill which is the million dollar treasure spot? in house professionals who are not GCE holders.

*re-visiting*

eermmmm , actually, NO !! cos that's not the point I was tryin to make.
They only accept MSc(s) or higher into those positions because they don't think you learn all that's required for the job from your Bachelors program.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 8:17pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline:

Guy your posts are just filled with fallacies of improper assumption. The fact that you assume those guys do not have a degree does not make it true. I can confidently say you are an outsider to the oil industry. You hear gists here and there and use your native intelligence to fill in spaces and make it sound like you are informed. And I didn't see petroleum engineering in the list you posted. You think talking about their pay makes any impression. Guy if I start talking pay here you people will accuse me of arrogance again.

look at this mumu.....
i have been working in the oil industry before you stepped foot in a class to take MTH101 lessons...
are you shyting me? which stupid oil industry? from the kashagan fields to baku oil fields, where haven't i been in this world of constant travelling. better stop talking because you think you have a petroleum engineering degree - the narrowest discipline ever in the engineering world.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 8:17pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

More like 100% actually.

1992 - 2 months.
1993 - 5 months.
1994 - 5 months, all the way till January '95.
1996 - 6 months
2001 - 3 months
2003 - 6 or 7 months (i forget)
2007 (or 2009, not sure) - 6 months.

That is the one I can remember.

See, this is why sometimes I wonder about the mental attributes of people on this forum. I STATED CLEARLY THAT less than 10% of Nigerian graduates CURRENTLY ALIVE have been affected by an ASUU strike, and I 100% stand by that statement.

You see I choose my words very carefully.

Look at this one mentioning 1992, 1996, 2001. How many ASUU strikes occurred in 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 etc etc. You think all those millions of graduates are dead? How many happened in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and how many students were affected in total? I can count a full 26 years in the last 35 years in which there was no single ASUU strike. So I am RIGHT in my original assertion.

Some folks who just graduated yesterday think everything revolves around their experience or what they heard from Mr Ayinla the beer parlour walking encyclopaedia.

I will tell you a secret. Even in the 1970s and 1980s people were still blocking the airwaves with how ''our entire education system has collapsed''. It is nothing new. Wherever there are Nigerians, there will always be a few SAD individuals who will keep pestering the rest of us about how everything has ''collapsed'' and fallen into ruin.

But the country moves on regardless.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 8:22pm On Mar 07, 2013
Kay-Dee:

Yeah, contracted for the drilling aspect, all the drilling contractors have to do is follow orders and monitor progress. But who decides where to drill which is the million dollar treasure spot? in house professionals who are not GCE holders.

Not only the drilling aspect.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 8:24pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

look at this mumu.....
i have been working in the oil industry before you stepped foot in a class to take MTH101 lessons...
are you shyting me? which stupid oil industry? from the kashagan fields to baku oil fields, where haven't i been in this world of constant travelling. better stop talking because you think you have a petroleum engineering degree - the narrowest discipline ever in the engineering world.

When you are found out you resort to abuses and insults abi? You sound like an ACN supporter. I'm still waiting on your definition of what a petroleum engr does in your own understanding and not google definition. Hope you realize that All those semi-illiterate (as you call them) oyinbos that work as operators and technicians in the oil field are not petroleum engineers and do not work as petroleum engineers
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by KayDee4: 8:28pm On Mar 07, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Not only the drilling aspect.

and data acquisition , etc . . . . .

Like I said before, it depends on the level of risk the employer is willing to take, i don't see MNCs outsourcing jobs for positions that require 'critical' decision making.

*that is not to say that drilling engineers and others who work for servicing firms are not professionals, they are top professionals through and through and are good at what they do*
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 8:33pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline:

When you are found out you resort to abuses and insults abi? You sound like an ACN supporter. I'm still waiting on your definition of what a petroleum engr does in your own understanding and not google definition. Hope you realize that All those semi-illiterate (as you call them) oyinbos that work as operators and technicians in the oil field are not petroleum engineers and do not work as petroleum engineers

i don't care what the duties of a petroleum engineering are - in hierarchy, you are under me.... my scope as an electronic/electrical engineer is wider. i can tumble and run chaos in every engineering discipline including agric engineering. you can only work in the oil/gas industry(under me). i design the tools you are working with - you cannot earn wages until i tell you it's safe to do so. so stop talking and pay attention when the "real" engineers are talking. i have fur, you have wool. i have paws, you have hooves.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 8:34pm On Mar 07, 2013
Kay-Dee:

Geosciences.
*professionals*

If they do, you will be a contract staff.

Dunno if its changed in Nigeria but its still the same here in the US. Chevron US wont even look at BSc degrees from their own US schools.
Ok that's quite true. Generally Mobil tends to recruit more MSc holders but they also recruit Bsc holders into engineering departments.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 8:43pm On Mar 07, 2013
Kay-Dee:

and data acquisition , etc . . . . .

Like I said before, it depends on the level of risk the employer is willing to take, i don't see MNCs outsourcing jobs for positions that require 'critical' decision making.

Guys let's take a step back here. Oil and gas companies undertake activities in house and contract out some based on their size and overall corporate strategy. A producing company's core competence is not seismic acquisition, neither is it actual drilling nor pipe laying, fabrication, well intervention etc. they have staff that oversee and supervise such contracted jobs but you can't say they should do these themselves. Field development studies, asset development planning, reservoir studies, reserves accounting, proposing well work overs and drilling prospects, supervising work overs and drilling are some of the things routinely done in house. That is why we have service companies that support producing companies. So there is absolutely nothing wrong in contracting some operations out. IT IS ABSOLUTELY NORMAL!

And I have not heard that service companies lie Schlumberger and Haliburton prefer secondary school leavers,
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 8:45pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

i don't care what the duties of a petroleum engineering are - in hierarchy, you are under me.... my scope as an electronic/electrical engineer is wider. i can tumble and run chaos in every engineering discipline including agric engineering. you can only work in the oil/gas industry(under me). i design the tools you are working with - you cannot earn wages until i tell you it's safe to do so. so stop talking and pay attention when the "real" engineers are talking. i have fur, you have wool. i have paws, you have hooves.

Hope you have a thermometer at home. You seem to be running a fever.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by shady26(m): 8:46pm On Mar 07, 2013
I have just these to ask all of you.how many years will you work for exxon mobil before you can earn enough to buy a property in ikoyi,banana island or lekki?was mobil,total,shell started by some1?wat if those guys had chosen rather to whine about unemployment?Nigerian government and system is so bad yet the richest black man in the whole world got made by that system.quit giving urself countless reasons y u can't make it or get a job and start seeing yourself equipped and talented enough to go to war against the system and conquer it.The CEOs of this world are not necessarily the smartest people(even though they always try to make you believe that),they are just people with the most guts or to be more specific the HARDEST BALLS.on the other hand the poorest people are usually the most fearful(not lazy or less intelligent as you've been made to believe),they r those who expect much from the system of the world just because they are born in it(they have the highest sense of entitlment).for those of you still undergraduates,take this from me,the world is your oyster,don't let anybody douse ur zeal with their tales of woe.if u r still an undergrad in an abroad school expecially in the western climes,do 1 thing for me(and urself),each time you walk into a building,open ur eyes and observe those things,designs,installations and services that r so different from what u were used to at home(those comforts that make jand,jand).make ur research from the manufactures to the installers on what it will take to replicate those things in nigeria(Nigeria has more money to spend than you can imagine).you might be lucky and find a company while making ur enquiries that will be willing to partner with ur new company(so long as you can convince them of a huge market in nigeria).come down to nigeria,do a small survey,come up with several proposals and quotes for prospective clients(you will find many of of the in ABJ and LAG,back your naturally expensive solutions with a china equivalent(you will always find many of them).submit hundreds of proposals and surely with a good sales pitch and your fake accent,you will land Purchase orders(ofcourse I don't need to teach about packaging a company,virtual offices and fronting after all ur foreign degree).what I just shared with you is a bit of what chinese,indians and even some europeans r doing in your own country(they r literally scampering to naija,most of whom don't care to pick the degrees you pay heavily in their country to collecty).again I repeat,without BALLs, you r in for a looooong thing complaining and whining your way through life.and for those who neither have GOD nor Man(not reliable) I have this to say sorry!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

While I agree with your point that not all jobs require a degree, your response here is totally out of point and a bit puerile.
I agree with you some jobs don't require a degree. But the jobs you refer to requires technical skills and knowledge acquired through technical learning and practical experience. At the end of the day, the number of years required to get to that level of skill and practical knowledge is equivalent to acquiring a degree.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 9:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
ROSSIKE:

See, this is why sometimes I wonder about the mental attributes of people on this forum. I STATED CLEARLY THAT less than 10% of Nigerian graduates CURRENTLY ALIVE have been affected by an ASUU strike, and I 100% stand by that statement.

You see I choose my words very carefully.

Look at this one mentioning 1992, 1996, 2001. How many ASUU strikes occurred in 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 etc etc. You think all those millions of graduates are dead? How many happened in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and how many students were affected in total? I can count a full 26 years in the last 35 years in which there was no single ASUU strike. So I am RIGHT in my original assertion.

Some folks who just graduated yesterday think everything revolves around their experience or what they heard from Mr Ayinla the beer parlour walking encyclopaedia.

I will tell you a secret. Even in the 1970s and 1980s people were still blocking the airwaves with how ''our entire education system has collapsed''. It is nothing new. Wherever there are Nigerians, there will always be a few SAD individuals who will keep pestering the rest of us about how everything has ''collapsed'' and fallen into ruin.

But the country moves on regardless.

Oga,
In your desire to promote all things Nigeria (trust me I am sympathetic to that!), you really twist the tale a lot. undecided
Not that I take exception to your rudeness (kind of amusing actually), but your petulant posts can be childish at times.
Anybody who was in their final year in 1992 (21 years ago) would be at least 42 years old on the average (that is, assuming an average graduation age of 21.) No? And you said 'Nigerian graduates under 45'. Well, there you have it.

You've also forgotten the strike of 1988 (yes, 1988, I am sure you never knew that!), which led to the union being proscribed by IBB, and ultimately led to the Longe Commission of 1990, which produced the same white paper that ASUU keeps citing till date as the basis of its incessant strikes. So who are the ignorant children you are referring to then?

I went to school in the 90s, so I was part and parcel of the strikes in '92, 93, 94, and '96.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 9:11pm On Mar 07, 2013
x-fire:

While I agree with your point that not all jobs require a degree, your response here is totally out of point and a bit puerile.
I agree with you some jobs don't require a degree. But the jobs you refer to requires technical skills and knowledge acquired through technical learning and practical experience. At the end of the day, the number of years required to get to that level of skill and practical knowledge is equivalent to acquiring a degree.

and those technical skills and knowledge acquired can be achieved by the company's in-house training. halliburton, amec, worleyparsons, etc conduct this training on a regular basis. i don't know why you are backing out now that some jobs don't require a degree - most jobs especially in your highly-prized oil/gas industry don't require a university degree. you can acquire association degrees and earn fat pay! nothing beats experience and skillset. a degree certificate is just a piece of paper!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by An0nimus: 9:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

More like 100% actually.

1992 - 2 months.
1993 - 5 months.
1996 - 6 months
2001 - 3 months

lemme add...

2007 and 2009 - 6 and 4months respectively (if i remember correctly).

Early 2011 - About 2months (hand in hand with Subsidy protests)
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 9:15pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Oga,
In your desire to promote all things Nigeria (trust me I am sympathetic to that!), you really twist the tale a lot. undecided
Not that I take exception to your rudeness (kind of amusing actually), but your petulant posts can be childish at times.
But anybody who was in their final year in 1992 (21 years ago) would be at least 42 years old on the average (that is, assuming an average graduation age of 21. No?

You've also forgotten the strike of 1988, which led to the union being proscribed by IBB, and ultimately led to the Longe Commission of 1990, which produced the same white paper that ASUU keeps citing till date as the basis of its incessant strikes. So who are the ignorant children you are referring to then?

I went to school in the 90s, so I was part and parcel of the strikes in '92, 93, 94, and '96.

DUDE, you saw all the years I mentioned. Name HOW MANY of those years in which they were national strikes. You've named 6 or 7 years out of over 35 years. If we accept that those who graduated in the last 35 years are all alive, then I am correct. Today, Nigeria must have at least 10 million university-educated professionals, perhaps 1 million of whom were ever affected by national strikes. I stand by that statement.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 9:15pm On Mar 07, 2013
An0nimus:
lemme add...

2007 and 2009 - 6 and 4months respectively (if i remember correctly).

Early 2011 - About 2months (hand in hand with Subsidy protests)

Thanks. I don't even have the details of the strikes that occured post-1999.
As we speak, ASUU just rounded up a warning strike. That is if they haven't started an indefinite one already.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 9:17pm On Mar 07, 2013
ROSSIKE:

DUDE, you saw all the years I mentioned. Name HOW MANY of those years in which they were national strikes. You've named 6 or 7 years out of over 35 years. If we accept that those who graduated in the last 35 years are all alive, then I am correct. Today, Nigeria must have at least 10 million university educated professionals today, less than 1 million of whom were ever affected by national strikes. I stand by that statement.

See how you're beginning to sound like coogar cheesy cheesy grin

Go and take paraga jare. Sebi you were there running mouth at some 'children' a few posts back. Now you want to salvage some dignity.
Oya take N200 enter BRT tongue
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 9:19pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

See how you're beginning to sound like coogar cheesy cheesy grin

Go and take paraga jare. Sebi you were there running mouth at some 'children' a few posts back. Now you want to salvage some dignity.
Oya take N200 enter BRT tongue

I do not need BRT. My Nigerian university education allowed me to afford a decent car!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Kilode1: 9:26pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

More like 100% actually.

1992 - 2 months.
1993 - 5 months.
1996 - 6 months
2001 - 3 months

Sadly, I was a victim too. In one of the years up there, mine lasted for over 9 months. sad

I'm still in therapy and recovery embarassed

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Photos Of President Buhari In Bamako, Mali / Ihedioha Reacts To Supreme Court Judgment Declaring Uzodinma Winner / Jonathan & Wife, Patience Hit The Gym (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.