Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,654 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

How Do I Get A Lecturing Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Get A Lecturing Job (2768 Views)

Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? / Fed. Govt 1:1 Scholarship For A 5 Year Compulsory Lecturing Job. Do Or Don't Do? / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get A Lecturing Job by ayindetemi: 2:57pm On Mar 05, 2013
Please,how can I secure a lecturing job with Msc in Crop physiology
Re: How Do I Get A Lecturing Job by lasunray(m): 6:05pm On Mar 05, 2013
ayindetemi: Please,how can I secure a lecturing job with Msc in Crop physiology
Most lecturers are PhD holders

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Lecturing Job by CrazyMan(m): 3:46am On Mar 06, 2013
lasunray:
Most lecturers are PhD holders
Wrong...not all.

Most lecturers get their PhD years after they began teaching...they applied with Bsc/Msc, and later went for their PhD after getting the job.

So, I would suggest that you do the same (apply with your Msc), if you get the job, you can always go for your PhD in the same institution.

Good luck.
Re: How Do I Get A Lecturing Job by lasunray(m): 4:41am On Mar 06, 2013
CrazyMan:
Wrong...not all.

Most lecturers get their PhD years after they began teaching...they applied with Bsc/Msc, and later went for their PhD after getting the job.

So, I would suggest that you do the same (apply with your Msc), if you get the job, you can always go for your PhD in the same institution.

Good luck.

How does Most and All mean the same?
Anyway, the info was useful

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Lecturing Job by Mustay(m): 4:55pm On Mar 10, 2013
If 'most' lecturers in Nigeria were PhD holders, NUC wouldn't be setting a timeline for ALL lecturers to have a PhD as the mininum qualification. In fact, we currently have a shortage of PhD lecturers, a reason why the excuse of no jobs by Dangotecement PhD truck drivers amazed me.

@topic, you can always start as an Assistant Lecturer however, most universities for a start, require that you have either enrolled for your masters, have your masters or in the process - therefrom, you can go on for your PhD.

Since you have a MSc, then you have the basic qualification. That you wanna. commence a PhD program shows the prospective employer that you really know 'how it goes'. Even if you've not enrolled for one, you have to indicate you're ready for one ASAP.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Lecturing Job by PaulJohn1: 3:48am On Mar 11, 2013
CrazyMan:
Wrong...not all.

Good luck.

But you have a better chance with PhD when applicants aren't few.
Re: How Do I Get A Lecturing Job by CrazyMan(m): 6:40am On Mar 11, 2013
Paul John: But you have a better chance with PhD when applicants aren't few.
It depends...if you're a PhD holder with lots of lecturing experience from various institutions, then you stand a better chance of getting the job when the applicants aren't few like you stated.

But in situations where you attain your PhD say like 5 years ago, and have zero experience in lecturing but decided to apply for reasons best known to you...an Msc holder who is currently lecturing in another institution and applied for the same job might be considered for appointment at your expense.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Lecturing Job by PaulJohn1: 10:00am On Mar 11, 2013
^^
Well said.
Left for me, I'll prefer a PhD holder who has practiced in the work force over a Msc holder with lecturing experience

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Lecturing Job by oziomaonyems: 2:53pm On Mar 11, 2013
I am currently doing my Masters in Education, but would love to lecture starting from a college of education. what are my chances and what kind of questions would i be asked at the interview if i eventually get lucky?
Re: How Do I Get A Lecturing Job by ayindetemi: 10:56am On Mar 13, 2013
@ Mustay; thank you for the insights

(1) (Reply)

Meet The First Female Nurse In Nigeria To Rise To The Rank Of Navy Commodore / Shoul I Quit Banking To Pursue A Phd Elect Eng. / Pls I Need Shell Aptitude Test Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.