Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,430 members, 7,815,972 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina (26403 Views)

Baby Born With Congenital Malformation Dies In Makurdi / INCREDIBLE: Baby Born With A Growing Tail (photo) / Mother Of Chinese Baby Born With Spina Bifida Seeks Doctors Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by GARRIx10: 8:41pm On Mar 05, 2013

Malumfashi (Katsina State) – A baby girl with what appears to be two heads has been delivered at the General Hospital, Malumfashi, Katsina State.

The baby has also has a cleft palate and stunted fingers.

The 19-year-old Zainabu Dahiru gave birth to the baby with no eyes on Sunday night.

The baby’s father, Malam Dahiru Umar, at his residence at Unguwar-Sodangi in Malumfashi on Tuesday that the baby was born through normal delivery.

Umar, a 25-year-old petty trader, said the baby was their first and his wife attended regular ante-natal care during pregnancy.

He said he burst into tears on sighting the baby and sympathetic hospital workers told him that they could not offer any medical assistance beside the delivery.

He said the workers informed him that his wife was in stable condition and referred the baby to Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Shika, near, Zaria.

Umar appealed to government, wealthy individuals and non governmental organisation’s for support.

Meanwhile, effort to speak with Medical Director of the General Hospital failed.

However, a paediatrician, Dr Ahmad Bala, who spoke to NAN, said the baby needed maximum medical examination to ascertain the nature of the abnormalities.

Bala said the medical examination would include physical checks, X-ray and other diagnosis that would equipped a physician to speak properly on the matter at hand and possible remedies.

The new born baby and her mother were still at home.

When shown the photograph of the baby, a gynaecologist at the Garki Hospital, Abuja, Dr Kayode Obende, said the condition was called encephacele.

According to Wikipedia, the free encycopaedia, encephalocele is a neural tube defect characterised by sac-like protrusions of the brain and the membranes that cover it through openings in the skull. These defects are caused by failure of the neural tube to close completely during fetal development.

Encephaloceles cause a groove down the middle of the skull, or between the forehead and nose, or on the back side of the skull.

The severity of encephalocele varies, depending on its location.

Encephaloceles occur rarely, at a rate of one per 5,000 live births worldwide.

Encephaloceles of the back of the head are more common in Europe and North America, while encephaloceles on the front of the head more frequently occur in Southeast Asia, Africa, Malaysia, and Russia.

Ethnic, genetic, and environmental factors, as well as parental age, can all affect the likelihood of encephaloceles.

The condition can occur in families with a family history of spina bifida.

Although the exact cause is unknown, encephaloceles are caused by failure of the neural tube to close completely during foetal development. Research has indicated that teratogens (substances known to cause birth defects), trypan blue (a stain used to colour dead tissues or cells blue), and arsenic may damage the developing foetus and cause encephaloceles.

Proper levels of folic acid have been shown to help prevent such defects when taken before pregnancy, and early in pregnancy. It is recommended that women who may become pregnant take 400 micrograms of folic acid daily. (NAN)

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/suspected-three-headed-baby-delivered-in-katsina/
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Sibrah: 8:47pm On Mar 05, 2013
Strange!
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Nobody: 9:52pm On Mar 05, 2013

1 Like

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:30pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rushed down to view the picture. Could not find it...I withold my comment.
#felt for the baby's parent.
came back to view the pix.
Eww! Strange!

1 Like

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Nobody: 11:43pm On Mar 05, 2013
Don't panic, is just but a medical condition no juju attached plSssssssssssssssssss

5 Likes

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Nobody: 11:53pm On Mar 05, 2013
If there's no picture, then the thread is pointless.
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by BedLam: 11:57pm On Mar 05, 2013
I need pictures!
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Ngwakwe: 11:59pm On Mar 05, 2013
This incident should have been detected in the womb with proper medical equipment and taken away to avoid causing danger to the mother.

Three headed being is not human and need not to be allowed to be developed not to talk of being born.

1 Like

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by chymystique(f): 12:03am On Mar 06, 2013
This is Wierd shocked.... Whr is thr Pix

To me if dis Story is True that baby mit nt Survive and to start wif how will d parents cope wif such cos am jst imagining d baby lookin lik doz Monster pixs I c in books wen I was lil undecided... God Save Us all angry
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Nobody: 12:21am On Mar 06, 2013
Three heads are better than one.

3 Likes

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by dominique(f): 11:35am On Mar 06, 2013
This is a case where euthanasia should be considered. That child can never live a normal life.
There's a picture on this thread though its locked.

www.nairaland.com/1216370/mother-delivers-2-headed-baby

2 Likes

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by olasesi(m): 4:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
dominique: This is a case where euthanasia should be considered. That child can never live a normal life.
There's a picture on this thread though its locked.

www.nairaland.com/1216370/mother-delivers-2-headed-baby

couldn't disagree moooore.
Who says FOR SURE she isn't going to live a normal life....

everything starts by being first......
First man to land on the moon...
First successful tumor removal
First successful separation of conjoined twins...

.......no justification for euthanasia
.......nobody knows who lives and who dies

1 Like

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 06, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

I'm speechless
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by TableLeg(m): 4:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
Dang! shocked
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by huninaija(f): 4:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
This is really sad news, feeling for the parents of the child.. Her medical care expenses alone would be a burden upon them. Hope they can find the help they need..

No child deserves to suffer... sad

1 Like

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by AkinDavid2: 5:01pm On Mar 06, 2013
Plz can this be corrected medically..I pray that God will do a miracle for this little baby. I stopped looking at the picture.
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by MMM2(m): 5:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
God have mercy
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Pacesetter2: 5:03pm On Mar 06, 2013
Kamanda: Three heads are better than one.

Not in this case
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by adexsimply(m): 5:05pm On Mar 06, 2013
Encephaloceles occur rarely, at a rate of one per 5,000 live births worldwide.
are u kidding me? 1 out of 5,000 births? and you labeled this RARE?this is too-f ucking-much angry angry

1 Like

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by sedebay: 5:08pm On Mar 06, 2013
Akin-David:
Plz can this be corrected medically..I pray that God will do a miracle for this little baby. I stopped looking at the picture.
. AMEN embarassed
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by AdrenalineRush: 5:12pm On Mar 06, 2013
I am really shocked at how poor our (Nigerians) general knowledge is and how we are just too lazy to research,,,,,,,i am referring now to the original report by vanguard that said "a baby with two heads". This condition happens once in a while and most atimes the enlarged head (or "extra head") is actually filled with excess fluid (called CSF-present within the coverings of the brain matter in all human beings. To a large extend, most can be corrected if intervention is instituted promptly.

1 Like

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Built2last: 5:14pm On Mar 06, 2013
Goshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...i opened cos i dint know what that meant.

1 Like

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by ifedun2: 5:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
Its really a shame that our doctors have little or no knowledge about this health condition.Just pray a solution will surface.Really pity the infant.
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by 5much(m): 5:20pm On Mar 06, 2013
very strange
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 06, 2013
Does it mean there was no medical practitioner in the whole of ABU zaria that could come up with a name for the Abnormality/ had any idea of the abnormality? Wow!
Sorry young baby.
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by codeddj: 5:22pm On Mar 06, 2013
Wow, medicine is real just saw a case of tuberous sclerosis in da hospital 2day,here now is encephalocele i pray God help us all ...Neurosurgery on my mind
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Deadlypoison: 5:22pm On Mar 06, 2013
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by sammyyoung3: 5:24pm On Mar 06, 2013
angry angry angry
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
For the sake of this child and to limit his pain in a useless country like Nigeria where the ruling elites care more about themselves and lack of child welfare fund to cater for his welbeing,I with grate sadness propose that this baby should be eutanized. cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by areg(m): 5:33pm On Mar 06, 2013
hmmm........*i rushed down, i check d pixz n i smh*.....
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by Haywhymido(m): 5:35pm On Mar 06, 2013
pathetic. Jst passin by. Hope God help em owt of this financially
Re: Baby Born With Encephalocele In Katsina by plendil: 5:35pm On Mar 06, 2013
Kamanda: Three heads are better than one.

very lame joke and callously inconsiderate of you angry

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stop Calling It 'gap Teeth' Or 'open Teeth, See The Real Name For It / ‘Men Cause 60% Of Women’s Vaginal Infection’ - Twitter User / Nigerian Guy Who Almost Died Of Drug Overdose Shares His Moving Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.