Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,902 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! (3332 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 8:25pm On Mar 20, 2008
WELL I WAS BORED SO I DECIDED TO MAKE MY UBUNTU HAVE THE VISTA LOOK ,  NOT THAT I LIKE THE WAY VISTA  LOOKS BUT I JUST WANTED TO SEE JUST HOW CUSTOMIZABLE LINUX COULD BE ,   THE RESULT IS FOR You TO JUDGE , SO IF You LIKE UR SYSTEH TO HAVE A VISTA FEEL WITHOUT ALL THE BUGS AND DRAGS THAT COMES WITH OWNING A VISTA MACHINE THEN INSTALL UBUNTU ,  I WOULD SOON WRITE A GUIDE ON HOW I ACHIEVED THIS AND BY THE TIME You ARE THRU  UR SYSTEM WOULD HAVE A 90% VISTA LOOK ,

I HAVE MADE MY UBUNTU LOOK LIKE MAC B4 WITH ALL THE EFFECT AND THE MACMENU BAR

Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Frizy(m): 9:52pm On Mar 20, 2008
Whao!!! Brilliant
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by dnative(m): 10:46am On Mar 21, 2008
what's the point ? I'd rather get a vista than trying to pass off my ubuntu for one. Same goes other way round. Sort of reminds you of volks-royce back then.
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Neoteny(m): 12:17pm On Mar 21, 2008
customize ubuntu all you want, we wont switch over.
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 12:21pm On Mar 21, 2008
dnative:

what's the point ? I'd rather get a vista than trying to pass off my ubuntu for one. Same goes other way round. Sort of reminds you of volks-royce back then.

Miss the point , i have a vista installed on my system , am dual booting it with Ubuntu , the point am trying to make is that ubuntu is very flexible and can be configured to ur taste , my desktop doesn't look like what u saw on the screenshot , i prefer the clean and simple look of my gnome desktop , but there are those who would want their system to look quite differently that is what am trying to say , that with Ubuntu u can make ur desktop look just like u want , the power of linux lies in the choice it gives its users , and yes , i would rather have my ubuntu look like vista , without the bugs and slow downs and huge hardware requirements than use a windows desktop that limits innovations and ideas , Ubuntu is the closet u can get with easting ur cake and having it , i.e make ur system look like windows , without the viruses and instability etc that comes with it
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Neoteny(m): 12:40pm On Mar 21, 2008
doesnt it speak volumes when you try to make one OS look like another? what was it they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 1:08pm On Mar 21, 2008
Neoteny:

customize ubuntu all you want, we wont switch over.

we all have a right to what we choose and i didnt do this to try to covert any body , the post was actually directed at ubuntu /linux users to see that u can extend the possibility of ur linux os even further than u think possible, The last time i checked this is the computer section , and u are allowed to post things about computers including an Operating system e.g Linux without some windows user feeling threatened that someone is out to get them and take over their world ,
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 1:19pm On Mar 21, 2008
Neoteny:

doesnt it speak volumes when you try to make one OS look like another? what was it they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

u choose to see what u want to see , u call it imitation / i call it customization , the user has the right to imitate if he wants, so what if i cant afford a vista os or i dont have a system with the required hardware , does that mean i dont have the right to give my system a say mac look or say vista look , canonical the parent company of Ubuntu didnt design ubuntu to look like vista , noo but there didnt prevent a user who so wishes ,

And yes u are right
imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
i guess MS sincerely admire the security environment of unix soooo much that we just when and implemented it on vista , although i most say that he made a poor job at it ,
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Neoteny(m): 1:20pm On Mar 21, 2008
@ bigbrovar

haha! take over the world. what foolish assumption. mac may take over the world someday, sure, but never linux. besides, anyone can see you are a linux crusader on a quest to make us believe its a better alternative to windows. well, brov, the only better alternative to me is mac osX.

no one says you cant post linux-related stuff, but to me trying to force linux to look like windows smells of linux being inferior. sure you have security, you can change your shell blah blah. big deal, we are quite happy with Aero the way it is, and vista is very secure.

harp on about how windows stole account control from linux, and we shall tell of how linux stole everything from unix, and added a windows-like User interface to boot.

do you know why linux has no virus problem? cos there are so few linux users out there the virus writers cant be bothered.

*but i must admit, that desktop looks cool*
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 1:53pm On Mar 21, 2008
haha! take over the world. what foolish assumption. mac may take over the world someday, sure, but never linux. besides, anyone can see you are a linux crusader on a quest to make us believe its a better alternative to windows. well, brov, the only better alternative to me is mac osX.
believe me i don't want linux to take over the world , that would mean ubuntu and linux would become mainstream, and i don't want that i want my os to be exclusive , but i don't think i will be able to help it for long , already linux has taken over the server market,it has taken over the embedded market,it has taken over the animation market , most businesses now are moving their systems to linux, even in Nigeria most banks are starting to use linux , atm machines,flight entertainment systems,mobile fones, it is predicted that by 2012 60% of mobile platform would run linux hope u have heard of android,
so what is left ohhh yeah the desktop , it hasnt happened yet but with dell starting to ship ubunt,hp suse,accer linspire , and other hardware ventures falling over themselves to ship linux , yes we are not there yet but with asus revolutionary eepc ultra light pc becoming a best seller even though it came shipped with linux xandos , that didnt stop people buying over 6million copies in less than a month , yes we are not there yet but with linux systems all sold out when it was put out for sale in uk's biggest ratail chain , but then we are not there yet , even if ubuntu is sooo user friendly that even my babe prefers it to vista and begged me to install it on is system , and i get calls everyday from people who wants ubuntu ,, all i can say is that it wont be long before my nightmare comes to past and ubuntu becomes mainstream and takes over the world grin

harp on about how windows stole account control from linux, and we shall tell of how linux stole everything from unix, and added a windows-like User interface to boot.
mahn how can linux steal sumtin that is closed source , that is called copy right infringement and the last time i checked that is not a thing a judge of law would be happy about , we didnt steal anything from windows oh , we developed our own things from the scratch and who say MS has the patent on user interface , linux is still mainly command line based , a GUI was just written for it using the xorg as the gui server , in what way is the xorg stolen from windows , mahn go and do your research and u will see that MS stole its gui from mac and mac is A TYPE OF UNIX
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Frizy(m): 4:03pm On Mar 21, 2008
Neoteny:

do you know why linux has no virus problem? because there are so few linux users out there the virus writers can't be bothered

@Neoteny
The first time I disagree with you, who told linux has few users? I don't know why Africans love Microsoft and unbelieveable taking Apple has a friend, Are they designed for you?First you can't access its source code, its illegal for you to have a copy version. I thought you said you're into designing or something. Imagine yourself being among a network of open programmers designing a software for opensource. Linux helps you focus on development of your own thing rather than using finished product.
For Africa, linux is the key- you don't have to pay to own a legitimate copy and you're free to join the linux creators anytime, any student that wants to have an impact in the IT will go for linux.

In conclusion, in the next few years Linux will dominate the market particularly in Africa if Microsoft and co manage to find a way of dealing with the piracy issue of its OS and all properitary softwares including your famous 3Dmax grin, you'll know who is worth supporting and not. Or are you telling me you brought that software that is $500 legally? shocked, count all softwares you installed on you PC and check out their real prices now. Millionaire angry
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Neoteny(m): 8:18pm On Mar 21, 2008
windows stole GUI from mac? that seems to imply that apple pioneered GUI. hell no, the X Window System was a result of research at MIT and forms the root of subsequent GUI projects. the first gui on a computer was by xerox in the palo alto research center (computers 101), the X.org you speak of (not xorg) is also based on the X project, so in essence MIT and Xerox had their reseach stolen by others if we prefer to see it that way.

linux server is better and free? right! so i guess a $10,000 price tag of the mainframe version of Linux distributed by SuSe (as offered to guide One Insurance) qualifies as free then. http://www.forbes.com/2003/06/16/cx_ld_0616linux.html

i have used unix way back, i have linux on a virtual machine, and a dual boot on another workstation and im pretty comfortable aptgetting and sudoing around linux, and i do gaze at source codes.

but only when i need to be extra geeky.

for the most part my everyday use of a computer requires tools and resources readily available on windows than on linux. yes windows command shell is a joke from an admin point of view, but we both know the average user ( which is most everybody) hardly trucks with command prompts. look around you and you see the demography of users is slanted towadrs everyday productivity with software suites such as office, works, corel and adobe. the rest are into entertainment and media. the tools and the user base are predominatly windows based.

that makes linux a niche segment, and that makes it second to windows.

mac os x is the most sophisticated OS around, and its as easy to use as hell (even though its a type of unix as you point out, thanks to the machBSD kernel) but still it hasnt won over the world. the user base comfortable with windows (with all its bugs) ensures a preponderence of software for the windows platform, and this influences a sort of loyalty. microsoft doesnt have a gun on anyones temple forcing us to kowtow: its just that windows already serves majority of the worlds needs, and this majority can live with the occasional bug and crash.

my biggest problem with linux is the lack of standard, installing programs can vary from distro to distro, and somethings still require digging into the shell. ease of use is defeated in this scenario, and the world has outgrown the geek mentality of old. theres a reason the iphone is so beloved: ease of use.

linux embedded will go the way of windows mobile, although google android has promise. but android is not really an OS, is it?

if in this forum we get cries for help over soemtimes laughable issues, imagine people dealing with linux and you telling them to chmod and apmd-c etc to fix a problem (ok im exaggerating a little) but you get the point. people buy a car to go from point A to B, not because one allows them more flexibility to tinker with the engine than the other.

windows has grown, vista has as much security as linux, and is a lot more fun to use.

you hardly see people arguing heatedly over win xp and vista, but there are as many linux factions as there are distros, all flaming each other whether redhat is better than suse better than debian better than slackware better than whatever else you have out there.

phew. im exhausted.
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Gamine(f): 8:23pm On Mar 21, 2008
Neo, dont be too hasty to reply

Of course Apple Pioneered GUI

the rest of your comment, baseless
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by TheSly: 8:31pm On Mar 21, 2008
Yea yea its no big deal. . .
I can do it as well. . . . not easy though but i can do it cool
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Gamine(f): 8:33pm On Mar 21, 2008
Indeed.
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by dehning(m): 8:49pm On Mar 21, 2008
very fine, but you dont really ubuntu to do this, you can get something similar with window blinds and object dock
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by DualCore1: 8:38am On Mar 22, 2008
can u guys just freaking quit this sh1t? rovar waz trynna show how creative ubuntu could be, so what da heck is the beefing about? hey its a thread, a take-it-or-leave-it situation. that's y i really don't dig coming to this section, damn.

@rovar
i ain't ubuntu savvy but i use fedora, same same, waiting for your manual.

@All
most windows users are stuck on windows cUz windows has so spoilt us that all we can do is click click, and linux ain't no click click party, codes, codes, codes all the way up. i havnt fully migrated to linux cuz i still need some of ma win32 apps (don't tell me about wine, plz. lol).
y'all should just stop the beefing, why not let Gates and Trovalds do the fighting?
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by dnative(m): 11:29am On Mar 22, 2008
Why do people always naively assume that just  because you use linux, that automatically makes you a techie? And that just because you use windows, you are never one.

Changing your desktop layout, display preferences, switching between desktops from gnome to kde to whatever, running some 3rd party apps to give you a 3d desktop doesn't exactly makes one a techie. Please get it right, using linux does not automatically confers the techie status no more than using windows.

bigrovar:

already linux has taken over the server market,it has taken over the embedded market,it has taken over the animation market , most businesses now are moving their systems to linux, even in Nigeria most banks are starting to use linux , atm machines,flight entertainment systems,mobile fones, it is predicted that by 2012 60% of mobile platform would run linux hope

Please do remember to back up claims like these with credible sources. IDC or Gartner if you know what I mean.

I really don't want to be drawn up into a windows-linux-mac-unix argument here. I've used and supported windows, linux and unix for a while now and it really beats me when so called armchair techies won't let us hear word about linux. Right here in the UK at least in all the places i've been contracting for the past 8 years (and believe me I've gone round most of the big guns - EDS, Accenture, CSC, Serco, Fujistu, IBM Global, Steria, HP Technical, Siemens on massive enterprise projects) linux still falls far behind Unix and Windows in terms of deployment.

If you can change your linux desktop to look like something from outta space or a theme from matrix, good for you. Be happy and live with it. Doesn't always have to be a my-linux-is-better-than-your-windows thing, that's getting real boring and seriously played out.
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 12:58pm On Mar 22, 2008
windows stole GUI from mac? that seems to imply that apple pioneered GUI. hell no, the X Window System was a result of research at MIT and forms the root of subsequent GUI projects. the first gui on a computer was by xerox in the palo alto research center (computers 101), the X.org you speak of (not xorg) is also based on the X project, so in essence MIT and Xerox had their reseach stolen by others if we prefer to see it that way.

so u know this yet u said that linux stole user interface from windows , the linux  Gui is soo flexible and devise that u can have more than one desktop environment
of one linux system , e.g i have a gnome  desktop environment , a kde desktop environments, and enlightenments,  any one can download a desktop environments  according to how u want your desktop to look and be arranged , there are also desktops environments for systems that have low hardware configurations , like 128ram ,Pentium 2 or even 64mb ram system ,  and there work very fast as if u are running a core duo system,  yeah i know what u are saying ,  why would u need a system that with 64 mb or ram or a P2 , but such is the appeal of linux ,  it carries along the poor in our society , many old computers that would have been put to sleep have be brought back to live using linux distros like puppy linux,flubuntu ,elbuntu and damn small linux ,  this systems are then giving most times free of charge to poor homes and low budget non profit organisations ,

linux server is better and free? right! so i guess a $10,000 price tag of the mainframe version of Linux distributed by SuSe (as offered to guide One Insurance) qualifies as free then.  http://www.forbes.com/2003/06/16/cx_ld_0616linux.html
the word
free
can mean two things ,  free as sppech and free as beer ,  the first one means users are free to modify the source codes,  the second free means free of charge ,  while most linux softwares are free of charge a person is not prevented from making profits from is product ,  but what ever the case there is always alternatives redhat is not free of charge but fedora also made by red hat is free of charge ( both are as free as speech  wink , even ubuntu although it is free ,  u can are allowed to sell it for a small  fee ,  the thing is that while most linux are free some u have to pay to use ,  just linux doesnt not force anybody to sell or make your product free,  that is left for u ,

i have used unix way back,  i have linux on a virtual machine, and a dual boot on another workstation and im pretty comfortable aptgetting and sudoing around linux, and i do gaze at source codes.

but only when i need to be extra geeky.
neither do i know anything about programming ,  but the good thing about linux is that there is an army of people who do and who send parches to improve the linux kernel ,  also because a program is open source it is easy to fix when there is a problem since alot of people know what and what makes the program run,
also its makes developments fast and easy since the codes can always be modified not just by the original writer of the code , e.g when netscape died firefox rose from its ashes using its sources code with some modifications, 

for the most part my everyday use of a computer requires tools and resources readily available on windows than on linux
i am not the type that would tell u windows is shit ,  if windows works for u use it ,  for me linux works better for me ,  and there is nothing that i need that i don't get ,  i do video and sound editiing and i have what i need on ubuntu has free as air and beer  grin

yes windows command shell is a joke from an admin point of view, but we both know the average user ( which is most everybody) hardly trucks with command prompts. look around you and you see the demography of users is slanted towadrs everyday productivity with software suites such as office, works, corel and adobe. the rest are into entertainment and media. the tools and the user base are predominatly windows based.
now this is what i don't like ,  it is been an urban legend that linux is not for the average user , that is very wrong ,  i was a super noob when i started linux some 6months installation dualbooting and getting my system to just work was as easy and ABC,  infact i learnt to install Ubuntu than i did XP ,  AND the os is sooo easy to use ,  and YES u can use it without ever typing a command line ,  i too dreaded the command line  like hell ,  (although i love using it now ,  bcus u learn linux faster with it , ) i have installed it for my girl friend and she is loving it ,  occasionally might want to know the program to use instead of corel and i tell her , even my roomate one club boy like that said would prefer ubuntu on his laptop when he gets one ,  i have met 2 people in lag who saw my system and begged me to install ubuntu for them as in seriously begged disturbing me with calls ,  and today there say they prefer it to windows ,  all this people are as average as there come ,  yes things don't work like there do on windows but that don't mean that ubuntu is not easy,  u can't judge simplicity of ubuntu on how close it should look likw windows ,  and please tell me ONE THING , JUST ONE THING THAT You CAN DO ON UBUNTU WITH ONLY COMMAND .LINE

mac os x is the most sophisticated OS around, and its as easy to use as hell (even though its a type of unix as you point out, thanks to the machBSD kernel) but still it hasnt won over the world. the user base comfortable with windows (with all its bugs) ensures a preponderence of software for the windows platform, and this influences a sort of loyalty. microsoft doesnt have a gun on anyones temple forcing us to kowtow: its just that windows already serves majority of the worlds needs, and this majority can live with the occasional bug and crash.

UBUNTU is just as easy as osx if not easier ,  Microsoft may not put a gun in the face of manufacturers ,  but go to the market all u see is  windows ,  so most people don't really have a choice ,  this is compounded by the fact that linux doesnt believe in running splashy adverts ,  it prefer to use the money to help the volunteer developers that help with the kernel,  but with dell and other hardware vandors starting to ship linux , things would change ,  did u check the ee pc ?

my biggest problem with linux is the lack of standard, installing programs can vary from distro to distro, and somethings still require digging into the shell. ease of use is defeated in this scenario, and the world has outgrown the geek mentality of old. theres a reason the iphone is so beloved: ease of use.

Man do u know what u are talking about ,  what is shell and how do u dig it ,  all i know is that when i need a program i just start synaptics and mark the program apply and  beng!  what is geeky about that ,  ,  no clicking next next next agree yes ,  if there is onething that windows needs its something like synaptics ,  there is no program that i need to compile ,  those are the old days ,  Manhn u need to give ubuntu a try since your knowledge of linux is obviously outdated ,

ayes installing of apps vary from distro to distro yet every distro has its own package management ultility ,  red hat uses rpm, so ubuntu uses debs ,  if u own a redhat based distro like fedora all u need to do is start yest ( their own synaptic and u have all the packages u need) i don't know how that is complicated , its just like symbian ,  there is UIQ AND SIS

and if Android is not an os what is it then ,

if in this forum we get cries for help over sometimes laughable issues, imagine people dealing with linux and you telling them to chmod and apmd-c etc to fix a problem (ok  im exaggerating a little) but you get the point. people buy a car to go from point A to B, not because one allows them more flexibility to tinker with the engine than the other.

manh like i said u need to updated your knowledge of linux u don't need to
chmod and apmd-c etc
what ever that means * to fix a problem ,  and man even then the cmd line is the best way to fix a problem all i do is just copy and paste the cmd in terminal ,  i don't even have to know what there mean ,  but then u can fix all probs through GUI , 

windows has grown, vista has as much security as linux, and is a lot more fun to use.
BIG lie ,  the first time i had my vista i plugged in a usb flash drive and my documents folder just take opening and opening , and opening tillllllllllllllllllllll eternity if i didnt quickly format the system ,  vista implemented unix security ,  while linux was built from kernel to be secured ,  mahn hacking is about prestige ,  and there is no nore prestige in hacking or making virus on a windows system,  any tom privates and indian with little knowledge of VB can do that,  infact u don't need to be a guru to hack windows ,  but imagine the level and respect u would get if u hack a linux system or u make a virus to cus havoc on linux ,  it can be done , but not by small boys ,  u must be really really good and spend countless days if not months on it ,  all this for an os that tells its users not to use AV         
cus it would be useless

and tell me what is fun on vista ,  it is the most boring OS i the world ,  u can't theme it ,  no effect unless u are ready to let it use 70% of your ram and processor ,  mahn u really need to give ubuntu a try ,  imaging having 4 desktop enviromnets,imagine compiz, imagine having over 6 files managers some which can open directories in tabs ,  u don't know what u are talking about ,

you hardly see people arguing heatedly over win xp and vista, but there are as many linux factions as there are distros, all flaming each other whether redhat is better than suse better than debian better than slackware better than whatever else you have out there.

yeah what about between kde and gnome ,  its a fact that people love to feel their os is the best ,  its llike football arsenal fans flaming manu fans ,  and yeah flaming is fun ,   its about competition   but it is impossible to flame on windows bcus win 95,win98,win mill,xp and vista are all windows but of one is just a newer version than the other their are all windows but different version xp is windows 5.0 vista is version 6.0 ,  its like saying fesity users should flame gutsy users ,  it can't happen we are all ubuntu users ,  but damn do i hate redhat and that slackware ,  their users too dey feel , just kidding  wink
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 1:15pm On Mar 22, 2008
dnative:

Why do people always naively assume that just because you use linux, that automatically makes you a techie? And that just because you use windows, you are never one.
. Please get it right, using linux does not automatically confers the techie status no more than using windows.

Please do remember to back up claims like these with credible sources. IDC or Gartner if you know what I mean.

I really don't want to be drawn up into a windows-linux-mac-unix argument here. I've used and supported windows, linux and unix for a while now and it really beats me when so called armchair techies won't let us hear word about linux. Right here in the UK at least in all the places i've been contracting for the past 8 years (and believe me I've gone round most of the big guns - EDS, Accenture, CSC, Serco, Fujistu, IBM Global, Steria, HP Technical, Siemens on massive enterprise projects) linux still falls far behind Unix and Windows in terms of deployment.

t.

From where in my post did i say that am a techie bcus i use linux , or that linux user are techie or thatlinux makes u a techie , mahn do u read at all , ?

Changing your desktop layout, display preferences, switching between desktops from gnome to kde to whatever, running some 3rd party apps to give you a 3d desktop doesn't exactly makes one a techie
did u read the post , I SAID I POSTED IT TO MAKE LINUX USERS KNOW HOW FLEXIBLE THE GNOME DESKTOP IS , THE POST WAS MEANT FOR MY FELLOW LINUX USERS , AND YES SWITCHING DESKTOP ON LINUX IS SOO EASY THAT MY GRANDMOTHER CAN DO IT , AND I TELL PPLE THAT THE FACT THAT I CAN DOESNT MAKE ME A GURU , AND WHERE DID U READ THAT 3RD PARTY APPS GIVE U THE 3D EFFECT ON LINUX , NOW U SHOULD READ AND RESEARCH B4 U POST , MOST TIMES I USE UNIX AND LINUX INTERCHANGEABLY I KNOW UNIX IS NOT LINUX BUT LINUX IS A TYPE OF UNIS JUST LIKE SOLARIS AND BSD THERE ARE ALL TYPES OF LINUX , MAN READ B4 U POST ,

If you can change your linux desktop to look like something from out of space or a theme from matrix, good for you. Be happy and live with it. Doesn't always have to be a my-linux-is-better-than-your-windows thing, that's getting real boring and seriously played ouT
AGAIN I DIDNT START THE LINUX WINDOWS THING , ALL I DID WAS PASTED SOME SHOTS THAT U CAN MOD GNOME TO LOOK LIKE VISTA , ABI IS IT NOW A SIN TO MOD MY DESKTOP , I USE LINUX AND AM HAPPY WITH IT , BUT THAT DONT MEAN I TRY TO FORCE IT DOWN PPLES THROATS ABI CANT A MAN POST SOMETHING ABOUT LINUX WITHOUT HIM BEING FLAMED , IF THINGS WERE REVERSED AND IT WAS A WINDOWS DESKTOP THAT I MADE TO LOOK LIKE MAC OH I ONCE DID THAT HERE AND NON OF U CAN SHOUTING ME DOWN , THE PROBLEM IS NOT ME , ITS U , U CANT STAND TO SEE SOME ONE DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT SOMETHING OTHER THAN WHAT U USE , MAYBE IT FREAKS U OUT OR SOMETHING ,
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by dnative(m): 1:36pm On Mar 22, 2008
No need to take personal jibes with all your comments. I sure do read and well before I post. Most of my comments are general remarks directed at ongoing linux-windows raves rather than your person. I'm beyond that outlook. When you are using UNIX and Linux interchangeably, don't assume that's obvious. There's a big difference between Solaris, HP-UX and Ubuntu especially in enterprise environments.

And i can see you are yet to provide your source on Linux having the biggest share of the server market. And what's wrong with your caps-lock?
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 1:53pm On Mar 22, 2008
dnative:

No need to take personal jibes with all your comments. I sure do read and well before I post. Most of my comments are general remarks directed at ongoing linux-windows raves rather than your person. I'm beyond that outlook. When you are using UNIX and Linux interchangeably, don't assume that's obvious. There's a big difference between Solaris, HP-UX and Ubuntu especially in enterprise environments.

And i can see you are yet to provide your source on Linux having the biggest share of the server market. And what's wrong with your caps-lock?
i didnt intent to take personal jibes at u just found is strange that u would choose an innocent post about a customization of my desktop to direct 
at ongoing linux-windows raves rather than your person
  ,  but its nice that u cleared things up ,  about the linux thing i must confess i use the word Linux loosly bcus scratch the surface to the kernel and it all unix and even with that my point was in comparism to windows that linux is doing better than windows in the in the server market ,  and u are right ubuntu desktop is for home users not for Business althoug there is a server edition which is not doing badly yet must business prefer to stick with known names like redhat
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Nobody: 4:40pm On Mar 22, 2008
abeg no mid the disciples of the borg - your desktop is cool.

the only vista type eye candy i don´t have is the vdeo wallpaper.
i´ve been trying thestuff available

1) the wallpaper mode ofvlc player
2) xp scene or whatever they call it.

they aren´t quite i, so i´m still looking.

everyone of us has tried or is emulating vista´s bling bling thats what true transparency, vista orb, start menu emulator, bricopaks, vista sound packs, etc are alla about. most peeps will see my sys and think its vista, though it´s simply bling blinged xp - hanks to windowblinds, icon packagaer, styler, etal.

all i need now isa relaibl method for the video wallpaper thing
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 5:15pm On Mar 22, 2008
thanks u h my brother , we all love to Mod ,  and when someone  mods his linux based desktop to look like vista he is hounded , its one thing to make xp look like vista ,  but when i did the same to my gnome desktop i felt i should share ,
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Neoteny(m): 2:39pm On Mar 23, 2008
@gamine

no, apple didnt pioneer GUI, it implemented it on a home computer and INNOVATED a new pointing device to go with it: the mouse. GUI has been aroun before Lisa.

baseless? well, your opinion.

@bigbrovar.

i said they stole a windows-like GUI. anyone can see that both gnome and kde look a lot like the windows Ui than they do say Mac's or anything else. indeed, one can safely say the GUI was introduced on top of linux to 1. convert windows users and 2. to make things easier for noobs who have jumped to the linux bandwagon. Unix was never GUI friendly and that is why the gui in linux feels tacked on.

what can i do on the command line that i cant on a gnome?

one word: ndiswrapper

and what of grub? if you have to go into safe mode, isnt that CLI?

one thing i cannot dispute is the power of linux, it is more suited to some of the things i do at night when everyoines asleep but frankly those very things NEED the command line. based on that, i feel using linux on GUI as buying a powerful sports car for just a sunday inner city leisure cruise. but thats just me.

a lot of people i know harp open source as an "Up Yours Microsoft" subculture, as a sort of rebellious cause against The Man. but the truth is, i hardly now have a reason to switch over to linux because besides super admin privileges i cant see its features substantially tipping the scales in its favour against windows. what i need to do with windows is well servd by windows, and what i need to do with linux is well served by it. therefore i keep each apart from the other and since dominantly i use windows, it is my OS of choice. i have not seen compelling reason by literature, testimony or experience to switch or to join the linux faction. that does not mean i disrespect those that do. lets make that one very clear. indeed i have tremendous respect for tjose that recognize its power and flexibility, but im not comfortable with anyone thinking its a contender worthy of unsitting windows. and that does not mean i consider windows anything beyond what it is: a very buggy, restrictive OS that however has a strong user base and gets the job done.

yes you get tools on linux to serve your needs, good for you. but you hardly come across freeware that matches commercial software in quality, do you? in anycase, Garageband and Final cut on Mac serve my video and audio needs after i gave up on Audacity.

android is technically not an OS, its a stack of various services, a platform built on a linux kernel. it does not execute code. a full OS can run byte codes. think of it more as .NET, a framework and nothing more.

if im ditching windows for good, it means im taking a bite off a Mckintosh Apple.

grin
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 3:44pm On Mar 24, 2008

@gamine

no, apple didnt pioneer GUI, it implemented it on a home computer and INNOVATED a new pointing device to go with it: the mouse. GUI has been aroun before Lisa.

to pioneer means   to take part in the early development of; to break ground
in; to invent or originate.but it does not exclusively mean to originate ,  bla bla might have originated the gui ,  but apple has u have said implemented it on a home computer and Innovated a new pointing device to go with it , 

@bigbrovar.

i said they stole a windows-like GUI. anyone can see that both gnome and kde look a lot like the windows Ui than they do say Mac's or anything else. indeed, one can safely say the GUI was introduced on top of linux to 1. convert windows users and 2. to make things easier for noobs who have jumped to the linux bandwagon. Unix was never GUI friendly and that is why the gui in linux feels tacked on.

mehn u window user must really feel cool with yourself oh ,  so gnome and KDE were modeled after windows abi ,  yeah maybe KDE desktop environment was modeled to look like the windows desktop ,  and the reason is to give a choice to people who would like their desktop to have a window look and that is the cool thing about Linux u will always have a choice , we have over 10 different desktop environments in Linux ,and each has a distinct look which appeal to its users,  KDE is for people who want to have a window looking desktop ,  enlightenments is for people who what something  radically different I.e a desktop without tastbars just plain  animated desktop and docks  and all u have to do is right click and u see the menuthere is flubox,openbox,blackbox,icewm,xfce,gnome, etc each one created to serve a purpose or to meets some users needs   ,  look at gnome,  does windows have 2 panels,  are they files arranged the way there are in gnome - Application-Places-System ,
what is windowish about gnome , or enlightenment, or fluxbox ,  please tell me ,  do they have a start menu
,  like the one on windows,  oh so if something has a desktop with wallpapers. a place called home and documents ,  right clicking and the use of mouse then that thing is copying windows  abi ,  so why didnt windows go to court for patent violations, 

My Gnome DE

,  and man how the hell did u get that idea that GUI was introduced to linux to convert windows users    shocked ,  u do have some funny ideas about your OS ,  the GUI was introduced has part of efforts to bring Linux to the desktop ,  before Linux  was mainly used in servers and embedded in machines which didnt require a GUI ,  in fact the the Linux OS is still mainly command line based and the X server was written  on it to bring drag and drop point and click to Linux, but the primary goal was to make Linux venture into the desktop and to be applicable for day to day home use of running your computer ,  Linux has never made it its obj to convert window users ,  from inception it has always been to make alternatives to Unix infact windows was not even in the frame of mind of Linus  Thorvald  .Linux then became soo good that people started to see it as an option available for those who want something other than windows or mac ,  bcus for truth be told not many people can afford to use windows or mac,  both are very expensive to use ,  ordinary an mp3 converter cost nothing less than $50 convert that to naira ,  u would know that its not easy to use window if u are a xtain or u don't want to steal software or u want something stable and secured OS,  but most importantly something that is open source and free to share ,  without restriction ,  i wonder who told u Linus Thorvald built the kernel to convert all windows users to its OS,  even a few of linux programs have been ported to windows ,firefox,blender,vlc,pidgin, open office are some of the few linux apps that have been ported to windows ,  even though windows don't replicate the gesture  to linux ,  so who wishes to convert who

what can i do on the command line that i can't on a gnome?

one word: ndiswrapper

Chai u sha !  cheesy  u ought to have taken my adverse seriously   undecided ,  the one about updating your knowledge of Linux which is really stone age  sad  , the ndiswrapper  which u talked about  is used in implementing Windows kernel API and Network Driver Interface Specification API within Linux kernel. A Windows driver for wireless network card is then linked to this implementation so that the driver runs natively, as though it is in Windows, without binary emulation.this happens were the vendor did not release hardware specs or driver for Linux, 

installation and configuration of  ndiswrapper can be done by GUI  to install just just open synaptic search for ndiswrapper mark it ,  u can also mark ndisgtk its GUI apply  and synaptic would then download and install  configure it using the gui tool ,  if u want me to give u a full tutor , That is if u use Ubuntu ,  u wont open a terminal , 

and what of grub?

i edit grub a lot i didn't have to edit manu.lst ,  there are two gui tool for that ,  one is called[b] StartUpManager[/b] ,  its in synaptic and with it u can edit grub all u want , the other is called[b] qgrub editor [/b] (u can download it from www.getdeb.net )and with it u can edit anything with grub without knowing  how to open console , 

if you have to go into safe mode, isnt that CLI?

save mode is CLI but then isnt that the point ,  like i said before Linux is basically cmd based ,  and the X server is just sitting on top the cmd line to gave a gui interpretation to commands ,  going into save mode in Linux means u want to use the pure Linux has it is ,  and u want to do so has root,  so why should i need a gui when i want to Log into console has root ,  and yes u can use safe mode in a GUI way its called fail-gnome mode on the gnome desktop and its an option available in your login screen  , its just that u can either log into cli has root or use the fail gnome option which would log u into gnome using the right screen resolution , 
but then isnt that the way it is on windows window also gives u the option to save mode through the CLI , or GUI  except of cause your screen reso would be bigger than it actually is    sad  ,  but tell me how many average user like can successively log into save mode on windows to fix a problem ,  how many even know how to log into save mode , 

one thing i cannot dispute is the power of linux, it is more suited to some of the things i do at night when everyoines asleep but frankly those very things NEED the command line. based on that, i feel using linux on GUI as buying a powerful sports car for just a sunday inner city leisure cruise. but thats just me.

fine not all things can be done using GUI on linux ,  but those things that require exclusive knowledge of Cmd are things that a average user don't do on their computers abi how many average user install mysql, or need to configure apache or php on their systems ,  or use bash * what ever that means ,   it 
is open secret that the real power of Linux is command line but that don't mean that the  GUI is handicapped  it definitely not[b] the GUI of linux is more sophisticated and powerfu productive and easy to use  than anything u can ever get on windows [/b] and is capable of a lot of things specially and importantly it is more than adequate for day to day home use especially for the average user  things that average users need like listen to music, play dvds,browse,edit video and so much more ,

a lot of people i know harp open source as an "Up Yours Microsoft" subculture, as a sort of rebellious cause against The Man

wrong again  embarassed ,  although The Man  loves to think that the open source community is out to get 'em,  the truth is that open source is lnot concerned about   Him at all ,  the goal of the Open source foundation is to allow programmers share codes and ideas which would lead to better improvements of programs and enhance and advance the study of computer RICHARD STALLMAN  founded  the GNU foundation in 1984 as a reaction to the increasing commercialization of computer software. Whereas once all programmers had shared ideas and program code, the trend in the 1980s was toward proprietary, non shared code, as well as legal contracts, which forced programmers to keep secrets from one another.  he introduces the concept of copyleft and is opposed to the legal concept of
copyright, which attempts to limit the freedom of individuals when using a piece of software (or any other creative work). Nowadays, the concept of copyleft has been applied to literature, music, and other arts in an attempt to avoid restricting who can and cannot access various items, as well as to encourage a collaborative working environment.the same was the reason Thorvald wrote the linux kernel as a clone to unix which as at that time was becoming commercialized ,  so my window friend Open source or linux has nothing to do with MS neither is it a “ a sort of rebellious cause against The Man”   

but the truth is, i hardly now have a reason to switch over to linux because besides super admin privileges i can't see its features

security
stability
flexibility
free
highly customizable
surrounded by an army of community members
I have all the apps I need in one package manager and free to use .  no going from one site to the other looking for one software or the other ,
updating is dead easy and all the software installed on your systems including 3rd party all updated true the update manager ,  imagine the update manager in windows notifying u when the latest adobe photoshop is available , mahn I can't say it all just   its just too much,

substantially tipping the scales in its favour against windows. what i need to do with windows is well servd by windows, and what i need to do with linux is well served by it. therefore i keep each apart from the other and since dominantly i use windows, it is my OS of choice. i have not seen compelling reason by literature, testimony or experience to switch or to join the linux faction. that does not mean i disrespect those that do. lets make that one very clear. indeed i have tremendous respect for tjose that recognize its power and flexibility, but im not comfortable with anyone thinking its a contender worthy of unsitting windows. and that does not mean i consider windows anything beyond what it is: a very buggy, restrictive OS that however has a strong user base and gets the job done.

let me start by saying that u have a right to what u use and I respect that ,  use what works for u ,  no problem ,  now let me tell u why I can't last a second on windows desktop

1- Restriction,  no not the licensing restriction ok that one too,  but the real restriction that am talking about is the fact that I can't make my system look just like I want it ,  I am very particular about looks feel and giving my computer a look that reflect who I am,  I believe that I computer says a lot about its owner,  it must  reflect my mood, my passion,  how I like things to be arraigned ,  on windows I can't do all this things because all I have is a desktop that was not made to be altered so I have to stare at the same desktop all day long ,  even though it is mine yet I can't change it ,  ok if I install 3rd party apps I would be able to maybe change the theme to some aspect of the look and this things cost money and eat more of the systems resources ,  yeah u can hack windows to mod it to your taste but the lisence u got from MS makes that illegal and criminal , even then doing such a thing would mean disabling windows update , which is not a good option,  on Ubuntu I have KDE,GNOME, and ENLIGHTENMENT installed ,  and I log into which ever DE suit my mood ,  I have 3 file managers one of which is the powerful all in one file manager called konqouror which allows me to open directories in taps  and which also is  web browser i can be in my home type www.google.com and whala konqouror becomes a browser  , I have pcman a very light File manager which can also open in tabs ,  in windows all I have is the windows explorer ,  if anything happens to the windows explorer and it hangs all your system would hang,  but if ever nautilus the default file manager for gnome hangs I can easily force close it and open another file manager ,  my system wont even burge

2- I cants do stuffs like copy an iso from a cd or burn an iso without installing a 3rd party nero can burn iso but it can't extract an iso from a cd ,  I get to keep iso a lot that is the best way I preserve a cd/dvd
on linux I can even mount the iso an access the files it contains as if it where a folder ,  ,  if i put my cursor on an mp3 file it ,  its called preview in gnome . plays the file without opening a music player,  there are many things about linux that non users would never understand,

3-visualization is a breeze becus the home os uses very little system resources to run ,  (idle mode on ubuntu with compiz and those other amazing desktop effects on is blw 200mb and 300mb) on vista its 800mb so how can I virtualize another os when my  home OS alone  uses 60% of my ram just to run how much would be left for the guest ,

4 mulitmedia- on ubuntu once u have all the codec installed which can be done with a line of cmd ,  just copy and paste , or install from synaptics by searching and marking each package for install even if u don't do this and u try to play a file a notice would come up prompting u to download the necessary codec needed to play the file ,  once this is done u will be able to play any format , aac,mp3,wma,wav,rm,fly,avi,wmv,mp4 that,vob, any format at all would be playable on any video or music app u have in linux VLC  is the best player in the world it plays anything u throw at it,  unlike in windows where u need WMP to play wma,  and itunes to play aac ,  connect and ipod to Ubuntu and automatically it is detected  and u are ready to snyc , amarok the must sophisticated music player in the world can sync , zen,ipod,zune,even china mp3 and I would update your
msger status to the song u are playing while automatically downloading its album arts from amazon and song lyrics from google. anif u go to the artist tab u will see every infor about the artist downloaded from wikipidia   cool eh  wink  ,

and desktop effect which kills anything u can ever get on windows,  using have the resources ,  and the fact that my system is just as fast has the first time I installed it even though I have over 2000 software installed ,  the is not slow down no lagging,  what so ever ,  i can put on my system for 24 hours ( i use to do that when i still have a home internet connection, and it doesnt lag one bit, 

what else can I say ,  I installed ubuntu on my system and all the drivers where installed by default even my multimedia shortcut keys  , and that is sony vaio that didnt make its drivers open ,  but there worked through reverse engineering on Ubuntu ,  and I use a very modern system that can with the recent nvidia 8 series cards
, till to 2mro I couldnt downgrade my vista to xp bcus sony didnt release the xp driver of my system ,  but ubuntu worked out of the box on it , xp wouldnt even detect my hard drive,  and my webcam works better and is more clearer on linux than on vista ,  mahn I can go on and on 

yes you get tools on linux to serve your needs, good for you. but you hardly come across freeware that matches commercial software in quality, do you? in anycase, Garageband and Final cut on Mac serve my video and audio needs after i gave up on Audacity.

yes all what I have on linux are very good and in fact sometimes better than what is available on windows even commercially,  eg I use k3b for burning needs ,  and I prefer it to nero

,  its faster and has a lot of features u can make vcd/dvd videos with it,  it support session burning,it can copy a disk as an iso etc yet it is free ,  what about gimp ,  I prefer it to the $400 photoshop ,  at least I get to do all I need with it  and its free ,  what about open office ,  for me it is better than your £300 office 2007 and it can even export your documents as a pdf ,  and it is free  cinepaint was used in the making of transformers (or is it incredible hulk on not sure)  so it most be that good ,  and it is free what about blender although am not into 3d modeling but i heard its a cool tool too, what about the GNU Financial Management suit what about , gparted,  which does a better job than partition magic , like I said before u have to either be very rich or be a pirate to use windows,  bcus even a wallpaper changer or common mp3 encoder cost money in windows, not to talk of some over priced suit which made to look very eye catchy but which have better free and open source alternative have u used hydrogen or LMMs there are very good apps for creating sounds that would give fruity loops a run for its money,  I don't have the money to pay  in other to have a pleasant experience in windows ,  and I can't be running from one underground warez to another looking for cracks  and serials and getting infected with viruses in the process ,  I hate AV suits and their constant nag about updates , so for me its Linux all the way.

Open Source tools on ubuntu

android is technically not an OS, its a stack of various services, a platform built on a linux kernel. it does not execute code. a full OS can run byte codes. think of it more as .NET, a framework and nothing more.
  hmmm thats a new one ,  thanks for the enlightenment,  but u agree that Linux is at its heart

if im ditching windows for good, it means im taking a bite off a Mckintosh Apple.

I prefer MS to apple,  and I will never use / have never used anything apple,  its systems are always very expensive I once saw one 80gb, 512mb running on some weird processor like that costing 180k in C village  *a laptop ,  all for what ,  to buy an OS that would lock u down to one hardware,  look at the iphone cool no doubt but it has been so locked down that u can't even use a ring tone except u buy one from apple,  to install apps u have to jailbreak the bitch ,  and that would mean u can't update your firmware ,  I don't want  any form of lock when I buy a pc or hardware ,it should be mine ,  and I should have ,  am looking forward to the open moko project which is at its beta  stage but when finished would be even better than the iphone plus its o
pen source and u will be able to install any mobile based linux os on it e.g u can even install android on it and u can install open moko on an andriod phone ,  u can even dual boot both ,  yeah on your phone ,  even the ubuntu phone project managed by nokia is very promising
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Ralvy(m): 4:43pm On Mar 24, 2008
I support Dual Core . . .
Sure makes sense, Bigbrovar was just showing us how customizable Linux can be [Rightly Said]. .
I guess this was posted for people that want to get the Vista feel on a Linux Box. . .
If it dosen't make sense to You, why don't u get ur damn! senseless butt off the thread and stop hating*

It sure makes sense tho Biggy, en we expect the Guide. . .
DOn't waste ur time replying some senseless scums and continue the good work wink
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by DualCore1: 8:30am On Mar 25, 2008
oya bigrovar the oppression don too much grin , where the guide?
make i just suggest some topics wey go dey the guide.

>migrating from windows to linux
>tweaking the linux desktop
>the linux alternative to win32 apps

lol, u can make it a book, rofl. make i suggest ISBN? hehe

aight waiting for the guide o.

@Ralvy
no mind them, u dont know wht it feels like to be stuck with windoof XP and its derivatives.
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Neoteny(m): 10:34am On Mar 25, 2008
@at ralvy.

im glad you think im scum. it takes one to know one, right?

why is it that nairaland is the only forum in which peole take offense when you counter their posts with your opinion and then call you names? so much for maturity.

@bibbrovar

you have convinced me; linux is the cyber messiah and im switching over this very minute, who knows it may even halt global warming. the clincher was your very persuasive sales pitch (and your oh-so-cool desktop).

FU MS!

i guess i always look at linux from a programmers point of view.

meanwhile some of your facts about the iphone are not entirely true. you don't need to buy ringtones from itunes with the likes of ifuntastic and iRinger around. with iringer i can convert almost any sound format into ringtones compatible with iphone.

also, jailbreaking doesnt disable you from firmware upgrade, the 4.6 bootloader stops you from DOWNGRADING. you actually need to jailbreak to unlock and update the firmware as lots of erasing and offsetting are done to the firmware, and secpack needs read/write access to be uploaded.

and lots of phones come network locked, although not with such hefty contract fees as iphone.

but its true though that one doesnt really feel an exclusive sense of full ownership. sometimes  i feel apple still owns the durn thing and im just borrowing it. that business model sux.

i find your name an incongruity. Big Brother is synonymous with restrictions, control, security, locks, licenses, ala The Man. and yet you are into open source and freedom. hmm. makes me wonder.   undecided

is that the apple dock i spy on your desktop?
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by DualCore1: 11:17am On Mar 25, 2008
Neoteny:

@at ralvy.

haba! he never said that, make una no just fight sha.
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by bigrovar(m): 3:14pm On Mar 25, 2008

@at ralvy.

why is it that nairaland is the only forum in which peole take offense when you counter their posts with your opinion and then call you names? so much for maturity.

like dual core said am sure ralphy didnt mean it like that , he is a nice guy

@bibbrovar

you have convinced me; linux is the cyber messiah and im switching over this very minute, who knows it may even halt global warming. the clincher was your very persuasive sales pitch (and your oh-so-cool desktop).

FU MS!

well my intentions wasnt to sell Linux to u , but rather to make u understand that a lot of improvements has been made in linux in recent years and its not has geeky as it once used to be , u know u can force a horse to the river , u cant force him to drink , *but when he his thirsty he would have his way back to the river* , on the global warning shit , on the contrary linux can contribute to global warming , many linux user dont like shuting down their system , which is not a good attitude as far as global warming is concerned,

i guess i always look at linux from a programmers point of view.

i noticed that too , u know am just a wanabe lawyer, and i have no IT experience , just ur average joe

meanwhile some of your facts about the iphone are not entirely true. you don't need to buy ringtones from itunes with the likes of ifuntastic and iRinger around. with iringer i can convert almost any sound format into ringtones compatible with iphone.

also, jailbreaking doesnt disable you from firmware upgrade, the 4.6 bootloader stops you from DOWNGRADING. you actually need to jailbreak to unlock and update the firmware as lots of erasing and offsetting are done to the firmware, and secpack needs read/write access to be uploaded.

hmm thanks for the infor , a friend of mine jailbreaked his iphone and he was complaining about it acting weird, anyway i guess he got it wrong somewhere , anyway i ll tell him about the ifuntastic and iringer shit , i will pass the infor to him,

and lots of phones come network locked, although not with such hefty contract fees as iphone.

very true

but its true though that one doesnt really feel an exclusive sense of full ownership. sometimes i feel apple still owns the durn thing and im just borrowing it. that business model sux.
spot on

i find your name an incongruity. Big Brother is synonymous with restrictions, control, security, locks, licenses, ala The Man. and yet you are into open source and freedom. hmm. makes me wonder. undecided

well the idea behind the name is the concept of brotherliness , always watching out for ur bro, u know like big brothers usually watch over their younger bros , i love to help pple with my 2cent of computer knowledge wh is not much, but i love helping out whenever i can , so i love pple to see me as a kind of bigbrother there can always rely on for help , * i guess that was what attracted me to ubuntu cus it has the same philosophy * i got the spelling of my name wrong during my registration , bigbrovar

is that the apple dock i spy on your desktop?

well its an applet for avant windows navigator , its called stack or something like that , u can drag ur favorite file to it for quick access ,
Re: This Is Not Vista ! But You Will Not Believe It ! by Ralvy(m): 3:34pm On Mar 25, 2008
Thanks for the compliments Brover wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Unlock Multilinks Modem / I Have A Problem In Using Mtn Sim On My HSDPA Universal USB Modem / All Laptops Charger Is Available @ Reduced Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 211
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.