Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,499 members, 7,819,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ (11891 Views)

Properties For Sale In Festac Town, Lagos Under N10m...no Omo Onile Wahala / Omo-Onile Syndrome: Cancer Ravaging South-West Nigeria / Real Estate: The Problem Of 'Omo Onile' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Maxymilliano(m): 2:42pm On Mar 07, 2013
The Lagos State House of Assembly is to begin deliberations on a bill seeking to frustrate and criminalise the activities of land grabbers, land speculators also known as ‘Omo Onile’ and regulate the activities of agents dealing with issues of land in the state.

This hint was dropped on the floor of the House by the Chairman, Committee on Judiciary, Public Complaints and Petitions, Sanai Agunbiade, while presenting a report about land tussle in the state.

Agunbiade informed his colleagues that the bill, a private member bill which already has the blessing of the executive arm of the state government, will soon be presented to the House for further deliberations and passage.

The lawmaker, in the report he would present, said one of the recommendations include providing a law to curb the excesses of land speculators.

“I want to inform this House that there is a bill to that effect. It is a private member bill.

“The Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice has made his inputs and the bill will soon be presented to the House.”

The lawmakers all agreed that it was a good idea to come up with such a bill against land speculators who have perpetrated violence in parts of the state.

In some situations, agents and omo-oniles sell a particular plot or parcel of land to several people and then bolt with their money. This results in violence and court cases among the buyers.

While commending Agunbiade, a member of the House, Ipoola Omisore, advised that the bill must specify who actually owns what land in the state since land is to the state what oil is to the Niger Deltans.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/03/07/lagos-to-ban-omo-onile/

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by gratiaeo(m): 3:49pm On Mar 07, 2013
While commending Agunbiade, a member of the House, Ipoola Omisore, advised that the bill must specify who actually owns what land in the state since land is to the state what oil is to the Niger Deltans.*******************************************************

Nawaoo it don reach like this?
Well its a welcome development @ least people will now happily development their plots land without intimidation from "Omo nile"
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Born2beRich1(m): 4:37pm On Mar 07, 2013
This is a very good development from Fashola....

The state needs cleansing from all nuisance...

Kudos to fashola

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by PrinceNN(m): 4:37pm On Mar 07, 2013
wtf is dah

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by dridowu: 4:38pm On Mar 07, 2013
Welcome Development
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 07, 2013
feels so good
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by CLASSMAN: 4:39pm On Mar 07, 2013
ok
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 07, 2013
DEAD ON ARRIVAL undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by yuzedo: 4:42pm On Mar 07, 2013
The great occupation of South Westerners? IMPOSSIBRU! Lagos GDP will just fall by 80%, if you now ban Agbero, the GDP'll fall kpata-kpata by 100%! grin grin

Allow me Ban myself now, thank you very much!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by dolphinife: 4:42pm On Mar 07, 2013
I do wonder at times whenever I go to Lekki, Ajah and Oshodi. You will see so many irresponsible youths gaurding their streets collecting toll money just because you drive through the street. The money will then be used to procure drugs and hot drinks. These set of people have constantly constitute menace to the peace of these areas. Am very much happy for this development and I hope after the passage of the bill into law, necessary enforcement agencies should be empowered to enforce the law to the letter

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by backtosender: 4:42pm On Mar 07, 2013
lagos state need to ban this rassclat they forcefully collect millions of naira daily mainly from igbos and none igbos i have seen two omoile people arguing on a piece of land which they increase the price from 7 million to 10 million they say igbo go buy no shaking grin
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by babaowo: 4:48pm On Mar 07, 2013
like this ...........
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Francheezy(m): 4:50pm On Mar 07, 2013
ruBBish
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by nenergy(m): 4:55pm On Mar 07, 2013
Land owners (Omo Onile) are different from Land Grabbers (Ajagun gbale). All land grabbers are Land owners,but not all Land Owners are land grabbers. I make sense?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by yorke1: 4:55pm On Mar 07, 2013
I dont believe Lagos government. What have they done concerning the Landlord/Tenant Law stipulating six month/a year rent to be collected only from tenant without agreement fees or whatever. What have they done?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by gerrardomendes(m): 4:56pm On Mar 07, 2013
how does dis stop cross river from being cleanest and greenest state?
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by ifyalways(f): 5:01pm On Mar 07, 2013
Looks good on paper.
How far have they gone with their 1 year tenancy law and ridiculous agents fees undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
How can you ban the 'son of land owner'? Is that possible?
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Ejine(m): 5:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
A step in the right direction.
Although I must say the first month is going to be pretty messy, I think the LASG will overcome them eventually.
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Nobody: 5:05pm On Mar 07, 2013
gratiaeo: While commending Agunbiade, a member of the House, Ipoola Omisore, advised that the bill must specify who actually owns what land in the state since land is to the state what oil is to the Niger Deltans.*******************************************************

Nawaoo it don reach like this?
Well its a welcome development @ least people will now happily [size=18pt]development[/size] their plots land without intimidation from "Omo nile"

GBAGAUN ALERT!!! grin

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Napolitano(m): 5:05pm On Mar 07, 2013
Great news, but the issue here is that these kind of laws like that ensuring minimum of 1-year Tenancy charge will take time to effect in Lagos.
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Lobolintin(m): 5:07pm On Mar 07, 2013
Wetin,omo nile canot go,ki lo fe faa... Kai,dangborogba sege.... Tufia kwa.
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 07, 2013
dolphinife: I do wonder at times whenever I go to Lekki, Ajah and Oshodi. You will see so many irresponsible youths gaurding their streets collecting toll money just because you drive through the street. The money will then be used to procure drugs and hot drinks. These set of people have constantly constitute menace to the peace of these areas. Am very much happy for this development and I hope after the passage of the bill into law, necessary enforcement agencies should be empowered to enforce the law to the letter
And play baba ijebu too.
All those boys and useless old ones including their chiefs and Baales among them are menace to the society. They are bunch of illiterate and lazy fellows
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by kross01(m): 5:09pm On Mar 07, 2013
i hope it wnt be same way the activities of area boys were criminalised on papers?
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by ceejay80s(m): 5:10pm On Mar 07, 2013
that one na story! What of agents wey dey help people get house? Dem for bann dem too, becos na dem dey make house rent cost with their 2yrs and commission and fee payment
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Maxymilliano(m): 5:15pm On Mar 07, 2013
ifyalways: Looks good on paper.
How far have they gone with their 1 year tenancy law and ridiculous agents fees undecided

You've been dwelling on this 1 year tenancy law of late, are you at the receiving end of shylocks landlords in Lagos?
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by zangiff(m): 5:17pm On Mar 07, 2013
what about Agbero Agbero na
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by IleIfe2(m): 5:21pm On Mar 07, 2013
Awori, ti yin ba yin.
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Scarpon(m): 5:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
now I can build the house I inherited from my great grand father jejeli
Re: Lagos To Ban ‘omo Onile’ by Omexonomy: 5:30pm On Mar 07, 2013
Born 2be Rich: This is a very good development from Fashola....

The state needs cleansing from all nuisance...

Kudos to fashola
yeye amala and ewedu law that they have no balls to sign into law takless of implementing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Plastering Of 5 Bedroom Duplex / How Safe Is Buying Land In Ajah-lagos And Cost For A Plot Of Land Quote Pls / PLOTS AT TAYAN HOMES IDU, ABUJA BY TRANE STATION

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.