Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain (9175 Views)

African Migrant Caught Hiding In Car's Engine In Attempt To Enter Spain(photo) / We Pay Between 300 - 500 Naira To Enter Nigeria – Illegal Immigrants (Pictured) / Obama Tells Illegal Immigrants To Come Out Of The Shadows and offers them a deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by wonlasewonimi: 2:56pm On Mar 08, 2013
babaskool: my own problem is small i only came to this uk to make money study and leave .....which i have already started with especially the money making part........so entry fee or no entry fee it doesn't affect me

Which of the nhs toilets are you working?
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by alfablondy: 2:57pm On Mar 08, 2013
Flytefalls:
I still wonder. What price could ever be effective enough to deter potential illegal immigrants?
You cannot charge £150 to enter and expect illegal immigrants to cry over losing that cash when the fact they have paid it meant they passed border control and can now carry out their original plan. Not to mention the hit they will have on their head if they don't pay whoever loaned them that cash. Business as usual.

But a potential tourist travelling with a family and on a budget? The fee means a lot more to them imo, esp if the price was per person. I suppose it's all hypothetical now anyway undecided
Gbam! No doubt the step is going to check the illegal immigrants, However some of them will violate the terms and conditions of their visa. Those in South Africa will understand your post better.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by alfablondy: 3:00pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

For which category of visa? I've never had to pay any money/bond to enter South Africa, and I was still there in November.
May be he is referring to repatriation fees
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by justwise(m): 3:06pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

For which category of visa? I've never had to pay any money/bond to enter South Africa, and I was still there in November.

Have a read yourself : Its called Repatriation fee.....

REFUND OF REPATRIATION DEPOSITS

Repatriation deposits paid by people who were in South Africa for an extended stay are refundable and application for the refund of the deposit can be sent to this office. Alternatively, such applications can be handed at this office from 9 am – 11 am Monday to Friday – except on public holidays. It is worth noting that the deposit is ONLY refunded to people who have fall under the following categories:

Those who have returned to the UK;

Those who acquired permanent residency in RSA;

Requirements

Original receipt issued to you after paying the repatriation deposit.
(b) Letter of request to refund the deposit;
(c) Passport – if your visa/permit is still valid. The said visa/permit will have to be cancelled;
(d) Sworn affidavit explaining circumstances surround the loss of the repatriation deposit receipt. This must be provided ONLY by applicants who have lost their original receipts.

Turnaround time for repatriation deposits

30 days (FOR THOSE WITH ORIGINAL RECEIPT OF PAYING THE REPATRIATION DEPOSIT)

90 days (FOR THOSE WHO LOST THEIR ORIIGNAL RECEIPTS)

http://southafricahouseuk.com/visas/vis_adminfines.html
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by justwise(m): 3:08pm On Mar 08, 2013
alfablondy: May be he is referring to repatriation fees

Yes, each country call it different names but they all serve the same purpose.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by AjanleKoko: 3:19pm On Mar 08, 2013
justwise:

Have a read yourself : Its called Repatriation fee.....

REFUND OF REPATRIATION DEPOSITS

Repatriation deposits paid by people who were in South Africa for an extended stay are refundable and application for the refund of the deposit can be sent to this office. Alternatively, such applications can be handed at this office from 9 am – 11 am Monday to Friday – except on public holidays. It is worth noting that the deposit is ONLY refunded to people who have fall under the following categories:

Those who have returned to the UK;

Those who acquired permanent residency in RSA;

Requirements

Original receipt issued to you after paying the repatriation deposit.
(b) Letter of request to refund the deposit;
(c) Passport – if your visa/permit is still valid. The said visa/permit will have to be cancelled;
(d) Sworn affidavit explaining circumstances surround the loss of the repatriation deposit receipt. This must be provided ONLY by applicants who have lost their original receipts.

Turnaround time for repatriation deposits

30 days (FOR THOSE WITH ORIGINAL RECEIPT OF PAYING THE REPATRIATION DEPOSIT)

90 days (FOR THOSE WHO LOST THEIR ORIIGNAL RECEIPTS)

http://southafricahouseuk.com/visas/vis_adminfines.html

Okay, repatriation fee for extended stay visa applications.
Understood. If this is what the UK wants to do, it is perfectly normal, in my view
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by toprealman: 3:20pm On Mar 08, 2013
universalbets: Britain will be shooting itself in the leg if they see this through. As required revenue from student admissions will dwindle as they close those student visa loopholes.

Interestingly it is indians and pakistanis that abuse UK student visa migration laws with all those offshore satellite campuses and one floor diploma colleges in britain often plied by their people to beat UK Border entry guidelines.

I see honest applicants and migrants of African descent been affected the more.

It is already happening bro!
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by justwise(m): 3:27pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Okay, repatriation fee for extended stay visa applications.
Understood. If this is what the UK wants to do, it is perfectly normal, in my view

Its the same thing, just to deter over-stayers.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by AjanleKoko: 3:30pm On Mar 08, 2013
justwise:

Its the same thing, just to deter over-stayers.

If it's the 150GBP I am seeing here, it won't deter Nigerians oh!
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by justwise(m): 3:34pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I seriously doubt it will be that little,
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by xlnc2324: 3:40pm On Mar 08, 2013
This might invariably leads to economic woes! Immigration is a vital factor, an engine room for UK's economic locomotion.....
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by tellwisdom: 3:40pm On Mar 08, 2013
U.k is running out of cash undecided..Na to dey beg visitors; remain sad
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by AjanleKoko: 3:48pm On Mar 08, 2013
tellwisdom: U.k is running out of cash undecided..Na to dey beg visitors; remain sad

On the contrary. If they were desperate for visitors, they wouldn't be introducing all these deterrents.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by Nobody: 3:49pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

That was a random figure created just to make a point wink.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by TableLeg(m): 3:49pm On Mar 08, 2013
tellwisdom: U.k is running out of cash undecided..Na to dey beg visitors; remain sad
You are a dimwit.... Think again and return with a sensible post!
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by AjanleKoko: 3:50pm On Mar 08, 2013
Flytefalls:
That was a random figure created just to make a point wink.

Well . . . even if it was say GBP1,000, I doubt it would deter Nigerians.
I have known people to pay as much as 1 million Naira to falsify travel documents.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Well . . . even if it was say GBP1,000, I doubt it would deter Nigerians.
I have known people to pay as much as 1 million Naira to falsify travel documents.
exactly my point. And who suffers most? The innocent ones who cannot raise such money even with the promise of getting it back!
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by TableLeg(m): 3:53pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:
justwise:
I seriously doubt it will be that little,

It can never be £150 .... We are looking at £1000 upwards, if not a few thousands!
They are going to be looking at the average cost of repatriation, cost of emergency medical care and crime prevention costs for an average immigrant..
At the moment, economists and statisticians and facets of the home office or relating Govt. dept would have been playing with figures
Dont be surprised if they peg it at around £2000 or £3000
I am also thinking the price will be different for each visa category, if its not a flat fee

1 Like

Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by tpia5: 3:54pm On Mar 08, 2013
rich people can probably pay the fee.

not sure about other people, unless they get some type of loan or something.

i suppose people will just head elsewhere.

as per the colour issue, most countries have policies they implement when one demographic is getting too high and threatening to overturn the established one.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by AjanleKoko: 3:55pm On Mar 08, 2013
Flytefalls:
exactly my point. And who suffers most? The innocent ones who cannot raise such money even with the promise of getting it back!

Well, rules is rules. There's no such thing as innocence here. You want an extended stay, you deposit a repatriation fee. You don't have it, you can't go anywhere. Shikena.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by TableLeg(m): 3:58pm On Mar 08, 2013
tpia@:
rich people can probably pay the fee.

not sure about other people, unless they get some type of loan or something.

i suppose people will just head elsewhere.

as per the colour issue, most countries have policies they implement when one demographic is getting too high and threatening to overturn the established one.
Trust me... Nigerians and some other countries love UK to the core, regardless of any measure put in place to control migration!
Rich, poor or average, they will find the money!
A poor man pays several thousands of dollars or pounds to be smuggled to the UK... So why wont they be able to pay a deposit, if it means obtaining a visa would be a bit easier!
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Well, rules is rules. There's no such thing as innocence here. You want an extended stay, you deposit a repatriation fee. You don't have it, you can't go anywhere. Shikena.
No. I meant cases where there is no intention of overstaying = innocent. These people will get their money back, but what if they could not raise the extra cash in the first place? Should it mean no UK holiday for them? I quoted £150 as an example because for a family of 4 this is £600 extra. Considerable, even though the money will be returned.

For people who intend on overstaying, as you pointed out, they will find the money and pay anyway.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by Smooyis(m): 4:12pm On Mar 08, 2013
We can't blame UK for taking step to control immigration of all sorts of people into their country. No responsible govt would open its eyes and allow its economy get damaged as a result of overpopulation or immigrants who are not ready to abide by its rules and regulations.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by Nobody: 4:14pm On Mar 08, 2013
Smooyis: We can't blame UK for taking step to control immigration of all sorts of people into their country. No responsible govt would open its eyes and allow its economy get damaged as a result of overpopulation or immigrants who are not ready to abide by its rules and regulations.
Ain't nobady arguing with that point bruv wink
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by AjanleKoko: 4:22pm On Mar 08, 2013
Flytefalls:
No. I meant cases where there is no intention of overstaying = innocent. These people will get their money back, but what if they could not raise the extra cash in the first place? Should it mean no UK holiday for them? I quoted £150 as an example because for a family of 4 this is £600 extra. Considerable, even though the money will be returned.

For people who intend on overstaying, as you pointed out, they will find the money and pay anyway.

It probably won't apply to short stay holidaymakers. I.e. if you are applying for the six months visa.
Or it might be, just like in the case of SA, applicable to first time applicants.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by justwise(m): 4:26pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

It probably won't apply to short stay holidaymakers. I.e. if you are applying for the six months visa.
Or it might be, just like in the case of SA, applicable to first time applicants.

I think those are the target, they are more likely to over stay their visas, it will not apply to students or people coming to invest in the UK.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by AjanleKoko: 4:29pm On Mar 08, 2013
justwise:

I think those are the target, they are more likely to over stay their visas, it will not apply to students or people coming to invest in the UK.

Okay, short stay holidaymakers travelling to the UK for the first time?
That seems to be what the SA government have done. It's not so bad.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by justwise(m): 4:31pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Okay, short stay holidaymakers travelling to the UK for the first time?
That seems to be what the SA government have done. It's not so bad.

I don't think it should be issue of first time travelers because it will not be effective. People will basically travel for the first time, pay the money, return and collect their money then travel again and over-stayed.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by AjanleKoko: 4:47pm On Mar 08, 2013
justwise:

I don't think it should be issue of first time travelers because it will not be effective. People will basically travel for the first time, pay the money, return and collect their money then travel again and over-stayed.

I am sure they wouldn't do that. People like me only come to the UK on business. Some others only on holiday, and have done so over time.
If someone has collected over 10 or 20 different UK visa renewals, and has no record of ever overstaying, you can't expect the UK Border Agency to be demanding a repatriation fee from such a person.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by justwise(m): 5:12pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I am sure they wouldn't do that. People like me only come to the UK on business. Some others only on holiday, and have done so over time.
If someone has collected over 10 or 20 different UK visa renewals, and has no record of ever overstaying, you can't expect the UK Border Agency to be demanding a repatriation fee from such a person.

If you have a clean immigration record then this shouldn't bother you, they can't be selective in applying this law, it has to apply to everybody because a good guy today could turn to a bad guy tomorrow because of some circumstances.
Re: Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain by AjanleKoko: 5:20pm On Mar 08, 2013
justwise:

If you have a clean immigration record then this shouldn't bother you, they can't be selective in applying this law, it has to apply to everybody because a good guy today could turn to a bad guy tomorrow because of some circumstances.

It doesn't bother me, just as it would not bother the few Nigerians who visit the UK regularly, and who renew their visas regularly.
Which is why I said it cannot possibly be a blanket requirement, save for maybe first-time visa applicants. Simply illogical, and an administrative nightmare if they try to do that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

/ Stop Travelling Abroad Without Proper Documentation, Dabiri-Erewa Warns Nigerian / Jobless In Netherland, But Currently Building Two Houses In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.