Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,898 members, 7,810,451 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! (14300 Views)

Teen Pregnancy: Then And Now (photo) / I'm Afraid I'm Too Harsh To Endure The Ups & Downs Of Marriage / Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by biolabee(m): 3:48pm On Mar 08, 2013
Christopher Farmer, the school superintendent, said inquiries were started when the number reached 10. "They are young white women. We understand that some of them were together talking about being pregnant and that being a positive thing for them," he told Associated Press.

Is this supposed to be exclusive to young black women only
SMH
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by biolabee(m): 3:53pm On Mar 08, 2013
Sisi_Kill:
Don't they give them those assignments. ...With the dolls they take home and care for...for like 7 days or so anymore? Gosh I remember years ago my friend's sister got one I swear to God, I was ready to go get my tubes tied because the prospect of having a baby was just bleh.

From what i hear and have seen, the dolls really work
Also a pet can be useful to reinforce the message of consistent care for another being
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by mysticgal(f): 5:28pm On Mar 08, 2013
nigerian ads should be written"if you get pickin,hunger go mama una"american ads are too linient.
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by dayokanu(m): 6:13pm On Mar 08, 2013
When theres a show on TV 16 and pregnant

The ads are good and should be harsher sef
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by vivaciousvivi(f): 7:55pm On Mar 08, 2013
I don't get it. These ads aren't harsh at all. White dudes r too sensitive jare! Teens shld knw thr is a BIG price to pay if u become a generous donor. As for d pact story, bunch of really dumb kids
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by free2ryhme: 9:27pm On Mar 08, 2013
Sisi_Kill: These New ADs for the prevention of Teen Pregnancy is causing quite a stir, some people think they are too harsh because they shame teenagers who are already parents.

Defenders say they aren't worried about the already TEEN PARENTS, they are worried about the WOULD BE TEEN PARENTS...their thinking is the end justifies the means. If it's gonna make teenagers think twice about sex, then bring it on.

ARGUMENT AGAINST AD - The latest ad campaign creates stigma, hostility and negative public opinions about teen pregnancy and parenthood rather than offering alternative aspirations for young people,”

ARGUMENT FOR AD - This campaign makes very clear to young people that there’s a lot at stake when it comes to deciding to raise a child,”

What do you guys think?

[img]http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/images/features/tp_poster_1.png[/img] [img]http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/images/features/tp_poster_2.png[/img]

[img]http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/images/features/tp_poster_4.png[/img][img]http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/images/features/tp_poster_5.png[/img]

[img]http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/images/features/tp_poster_3.png[/img]

this is the result of the seed they sowed in the 80s ... approving abortion, banning the lords prayer from schools,
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by dayokanu(m): 9:43pm On Mar 08, 2013
free2ryhme: this is the result of the seed they sowed in the 80s ... approving abortion, banning the lords prayer from schools,

If they had taken abortion seriously do you think we would need this ad?
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by SisiKill1: 10:25pm On Mar 08, 2013
dayokanu:

If they had taken abortion seriously do you think we would need this ad?

Touche! cheesy cheesy
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by blackbeau1(f): 10:42pm On Mar 08, 2013
No.its not.if anything,its too mild.they need to know wat it'll cost them to take care of a child when you are still a 'child'. but on the other hand,the adverts will probably drive young girls to commit abortion
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by Nobody: 10:51pm On Mar 08, 2013
Not harsh at all o jare. Those teen parents the antagonists imagine they're protecting might even help make the ads harsher if anyone asked them. Today's world is the way it is because the last few generations wouldn't draw any lines morally. I'll bet if money wasn't getting lost through avoidable child care, those ads might not even have been thought of, but what goes around sure as heck comes around.
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by IME1: 1:15am On Mar 09, 2013
the ad is not harsh i wish Nigeria could also have ads that fit our own context cos there's also the rise in teenage pregnancies in Nigeria. one unfortunate factor is the issue of rape. almost every week from different parts of Nigeria, there'r issues of how one 70 yr old man 'defiled' a 10 year old girl. or how 2 step-brothers aged 19 and 13 raped their step-sister 6 (who died afterwards) those that survive may end up giving birth and when society sees that teen or child wt a baby they are labelled as promiscious. i think most teenage or 'child' mothers in Nigeria didnt ask 4 it, whie the dads were either ignorant of the consequences of their act or acted out of sheer wickedness.
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 09, 2013
freecocoa: The ADs are so on point if you ask me, nothing harsh about it at all.
They will lay claim to some frivolous human rights and have the ADs taken down.
Re: Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! by Ama28(f): 11:18pm On Mar 09, 2013
I strongly think this ad is stigmatizing on the teenage parents who needs their emotional stability to raise better kids than themselves.
This message might not really sound as a deterrent to the teens because it takes a little pressure from peers to do wrong. It all boils down to sex education which empowers them to have an opinion and be assertive. So my take is that this ad is like burning down your house to catch a rat. A teen that is pregnant today is not a totally loss case, she has a greater chance of getting pregnant again and again than a fresh one!

How can an administration cut down on sex education budget and not expect to get such pact from the children

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should People Have A Backup Plan For Relationships? / Change Of Name / I Have A Problem With My Husband Brother Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.