Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? (2598 Views)

Dino Malaye Writes About Obama In A Church / Nigerians React To Obama’s Speech On Nigerian Elections / President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by BigB11(m): 11:53pm On Mar 21, 2008
1. Incredibly on point

2. Fair, but not good enough to revive all his voters' high spirit

3. The damage is done and the speech doesn't have any effect

4. The speech has made things worst
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by 4Him(m): 11:55pm On Mar 21, 2008
The speech made nothing worse . . . whites who were looking for an excuse not to vote for a black man now have a valid excuse.
Were Obama to personally execute Rev Wright, it will still not be enough for those hiding their racism behind a mask of self righteousness.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Kobojunkie: 12:06am On Mar 22, 2008
4Him:

The speech made nothing worse . . . whites who were looking for an excuse not to vote for a black man now have a valid excuse.
Were Obama to personally execute Rev Wright, it will still not be enough for those hiding their racism behind a mask of self righteousness.

Please stop trying to blame everyone else for the man's own problems. Reality is this in america

1) There are racists on BOTH SIDES

2) Blacks and Society have mainly focused on racism from the white side and not racism from the black side ,

3) What happened this week, has not only helped open the gate to everyone considering that blacks are also racist and should be attacked on an equal plane for it,for it but it has also created a sort of atmosphere for people on the white side to consider that Obama himself may have some racist issues to deal with.

Nobody put those words in his mouth. He said it and no matter what context you try to put those, it was just wrong and instead of playing the sme old blame game, he needs to do serious damage control.

I am neutral here and even I know that what happened on Obama's side is just as terrible as it happening from any other white side. I mean come !!! Listen, Someone on the other thread tried to claim the Reverend Wright's issue was taken out of context, now the same context argument is being tried on this "TYPICAL WHITE PERSON" comment made by obama. IT DOES NOT WORK. I am not white and I know that if I a white person said such to me, I would flip. I think this is a time for RACISTS on BOTH sides to open up their eyes to see issues as they really are. Just some weeks ago, Clinton was accused of playing the race card. Now we see that the race card is not limited to just one team. Both play it so can we please get over this " THEY ARE AGAINST US" mentality and deal with things as they are
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by topkin(m): 12:23am On Mar 22, 2008
:-x
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by topkin(m): 12:33am On Mar 22, 2008
He made a salient and latent point. It culd dent his campaign but I think what he said was the truth and that is what Americans want, the truth.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by 4Play(m): 12:51am On Mar 22, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Listen, Someone on the other thread tried to claim the Reverend Wright's issue was taken out of context, now the same context argument is being tried on this "TYPICAL WHITE PERSON" comment made by obama.

The typical thing about those who offer a "context" defence,like M'uslims trying to defend a controversial scriptural verse,is that they fail to produce the alternative context in which the controversial remarks could be understood.

As someone noted,in what context can "God Damn America" be justified? In what context can celebrating Louis Farrakhan or Ghadaffi be justified?
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Kobojunkie: 12:56am On Mar 22, 2008
top_kin:

He made a salient and latent point. It culd dent his campaign but I think what he said was the truth and that is what Americans want, the truth.

What exactly is this salient and latent point that he made?? I would like to know what exactly you are referrin to here.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by BigB11(m): 1:30am On Mar 22, 2008
My recommendation to all:
Please, do not listen to just part of the speech before passing your judgement, you've got to listen to the entire speech.

The speech is absolutely magnificent with out any questions. The speech has disabled many of his fallacious backbiters, left others speechless and also made Hillary and Bill Clinton to look like bunch of desperate (hungry) pimps.
I have never in my life witnessed such an incredible speech before; he was focused, full of confidence, absolutely on point and answered many questions boldly with zero hesitation.

Obama, Obama, Obama; this man will forever be on top. I admire his sincerity, genuineness and his unique frame of mind.
Please, keep in mind that Sen Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. did not read any part of this speech.
The speech represents power, opulent, superlative, peerless, unsurpassable and absolutely one of a kind.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Kobojunkie: 1:36am On Mar 22, 2008
Big B1:

Please, do not listen to just part of the speech before passing your judgement, you've got to listen to the entire speech.

The speech is absolutely magnificent with out any questions. The speech has disabled many of his fallacious backbiters, left others speechless and also made Hillary and Bill Clinton to look like bunch of desperate hungry pimps.
I have never in my life witnessed such an incredible speech before; he was focused, full of confidence, absolutely on point and answered many questions boldly with zero hesitation.

Obama, Obama, Obama; this man will forever be on top. I admire his sincerity, genuineness and his unique frame of mind.
Please, keep in mind that Sen Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. did not read any part of this speech.
The speech represents power, opulent, superlative, peerless, unsurpassable and absolutely one of a kind.

My Recommendation to you:

Try to understand that it may all be MAGNIFICENT to YOU but others could listen to the very same, and come out thinking "what in the world was that". I happen to have listened to the speech myself and I am sorry, I still do not get the amazing part. I mean maybe I am just not wowed by such things, maybe that is the reason. But I do beg you to actually look beyond the stage and the show and consider the details of what each of the candidates has to offer. Do not base your decision on speeches alone.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by BigB11(m): 2:07am On Mar 22, 2008
LOL!

It is what it is, a child will always be a child.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Kobojunkie: 2:09am On Mar 22, 2008
Big B1:

LOL!

It is what it is, a child will always be a child.

Sure, a child will always be a child even in adult body but it is possible for the child to grow and that is why I am saying people need to start looking past the surface and looking deeper when it comes to making decisions that will affect their lives and those of others. Great speech is just that, great speech. At the end of the day, that great speech is not going to make problems go away, action does and looking the details and asking the right questions help.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by BigB11(m): 2:15am On Mar 22, 2008
Great speech is just that, great speech. At the end of the day, that great speech is not going to make problems go away, action does and looking the details and asking the right questions help.

Wow, you're amusing indeed!
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Kobojunkie: 2:17am On Mar 22, 2008
Big B1:

Wow, you're amusing indeed!

Here is a quiz for you. Point out the amusing part of that statement. I would like to know what part of it you find amusing.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Depilot(m): 2:29am On Mar 22, 2008
kobojunkiees why are you this dumb. all your comments sound childish and doltish. go to bed and give adults a chance to have grownup discussion
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Kobojunkie: 2:31am On Mar 22, 2008
Depilot:

kobojunkiees why are you this dumb. all your comments sound childish and doltish. go to bed and give adults a chance to have grownup discussion

The same quiz to you, Point out the dumb part of that statement or any of the statements I have made so far. I would like to know what part of it you find dumb. I don't even know you personally but would like to understand how you arrived at my post comment sounding childish and dotish to you.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Depilot(m): 2:35am On Mar 22, 2008
Were Obama to personally execute Rev Wright, it will still not be enough for those hiding their racism behind a mask of self righteousness
this is true. the pastor was like a gift these people have been waiting for. the pastor delivered big time. i'm proud of obama for not throwing his pastor under the bus to satisfy the desire of the whites.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Depilot(m): 2:37am On Mar 22, 2008

The speech is absolutely magnificent with out any questions. The speech has disabled many of his fallacious backbiters, left others speechless and also made Hillary and Bill Clinton to look like bunch of desperate (hungry) pimps.

you have a point. i hope that the full segment of the speech is repeated this weekend.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by BigB11(m): 4:33am On Mar 22, 2008
Photo shows President Clinton, controversial Obama minister

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, attended a 1998 Clinton White House prayer breakfast, and met former President Bill Clinton – a moment which was documented by official photographers in a photo that surfaced Thursday.

Wright was one of roughly 100 religious leaders invited to the breakfast, which was held in the East Room on September 11, 1998, as part of a series of similar events scheduled that year in the wake of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

The photograph appeared on "The truth about Trinity United Church of Christ," a blog operated by a church member.

During the breakfast, then-President Clinton told the group that "I don't think there is a fancy way to say that I have sinned."

An Obama spokesman declined to comment. Clinton spokesman Phil Singer told CNN, “In the course of his two terms in office, Bill Clinton met with, corresponded with and took pictures with literally tens of thousands of people.

According to White House documents released this week, Hillary Clinton was scheduled to attend the event as well.

The Obama campaign has struggled to re-gain its footing following the controversy over racially-charged comments by the Illinois senator’s former minister. Earlier this week, Obama gave a speech in Philadelphia that was meant to clarify his opposition to the substance of Wright’s remarks, as well as his views on racial division in America.

The Clinton campaign has largely steered clear of public criticism of Obama over the incident, though some current and former campaign surrogates have suggested the fact that the senator did not dissociate himself sooner might raise questions about his judgment.

–CNN's Steve Brusk and Rebeca Sinderbrand

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by topsy4fun: 10:02am On Mar 22, 2008
The speech was incredible and very insightful. I really wish the guy all the best. He's got what America needs at the moment. Quite an Intelligent guy too.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Kobojunkie: 12:12pm On Mar 22, 2008
topsy4fun:

The speech was incredible and very insightful. I really wish the guy all the best. He's got what America needs at the moment. Quite an Intelligent guy too.

What part of the speech was incredible and very insightful?? I mean What did he say that we have never heard before? What points were made in this speech?? Help those of us who don't get it understand it please
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by detruth: 12:33pm On Mar 22, 2008
Kobojunkie:

What part of the speech was incredible and very insightful?? I mean What did he say that we have never heard before? What points were made in this speech?? Help those of us who don't get it understand it please

Maybe I can supply an anwser thruogh your own words;
"Agressive minority should not force their views and tastes on everyone !" cheesy
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Kobojunkie: 12:36pm On Mar 22, 2008
detruth:

Maybe I can supply an anwser thruogh your own words;
"Agressive minority should not force their views and tastes on everyone !" cheesy

uummm,  ok,

So How does that answer my question?? You mean he claimed that the minority in the country were getting their way ?? Whose taste is being forced on whom I mean I don't understand how that answers my question.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by 4Play(m): 1:54pm On Mar 22, 2008
Kobojunkie:

You are wasting your time asking these questions.Do you know why people here find the speech "incredible and very insightful"? Because the media told them the speech was brilliant.If you look throughout this forum for the past 3 days,nobody has been able to articulate in their own words why they find this speech inspiring.This is herd mentality at work.The best you will hear is,"the speech is brilliant because everyone has been saying so".
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Ibime(m): 2:21pm On Mar 22, 2008
@ 4Him,

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by BigB11(m): 3:20pm On Mar 22, 2008
The speech is brilliant and a pure sample of utmost originality.  WHY?

Obama clearly and cleverly denounced the statements of his pastor without martyrizing the man (the way most whites would have preferred). He did this in a systematical manner that left many speechless and wondering at the same time.
He also re-introduced the power of racism in America by rationally simplifying the negative effects and pointing out the products that have compiled by these unbearable backwash over the years. He made his points and gave several examples without choosing sides (not many people could accomplish this goal successfully).
He further mentioned that people shouldn't berate Pastor Wright without critically analyzing and clearly understanding the root of his disapprobation.
He also stated that America will move forward effectively and efficiently only if folks could accept one another and work together as one.

Sen Barack H. Obama Jr. methodically touched all the sensitive demons that are clearly frightenable to many (politicians) in America today. He did this with zero hesitation, without stepping on any toes, without choosing sides, with pure sincerity, with supreme genuineness and with a crystal clear frame of mind.

And he did it all his way!

Many (Bill Cosby, Louis Farrakhan, Bill Clinton, Al Shapton, Malcolm X, W.E.B. Du Bois, Jessie Jackson etc.) tried to do the same in the past, but failed abundantly.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Kobojunkie: 3:41pm On Mar 22, 2008
Big B1:

The speech is brilliant and a pure sample of utmost originality. WHY?

Obama clearly and cleverly denounced the statements of his pastor without martyrizing the man (the way most whites would have preferred). He did this in a systematical manner that left many speechless and wondering at the same time.
He also re-introduced the power of racism in America by rationally simplifying the negative effects and pointing out the products that have compiled by these unbearable backwash over the years. He made his points and gave several examples without choosing sides (not many people could accomplish this goal successfully).
He further mentioned that people shouldn't berate Pastor Wright without critically analyzing and clearly understanding the root of his disapprobation.
He also stated that America will move forward effectively and efficiently only if folks could accept one another and work together as one.

Sen Barack H. Obama Jr. methodically touched all the sensitive demons that are clearly frightenable to many (politicians) in America today. He did this without stepping on any toes, without choosing sides, with pure sincerity, with supreme genuineness and with a crystal clear frame of mind.

And he did it all his way!

Many (Bill Cosby, Louis Farrakhan, Al Shapton, Malcolm X, W.E.B. Du Bois, Jessie Jackson etc.) tried to do the same in the paste, but failed abundantly.

More Questions Now based on your response,

1) How did he clearly and cleverly denounce the statements of his pastor without Martyring the man. Have others wbeen guilty of matyring the ones they have denounced, in the past

2)According to you

Clinton, Hukkabbee, Edward, Gulianni all did exactly the same and I remember quite well that Clinton was demonized for trying to touch the same and make almost the same exact points some time ago. You mean Obama does it well cause you are listening to him but Clinton did it wrong cause she is white?? Clinton and the others also made their points and gave several examples without choosing sides too. What changed?? I can say for sure that all of them accomplished the same in their speech to america.

3) According to you

---- You mean America would move more effectively if all the racists, both white and black and blue, stopped being racist?? And we all hold hands as one big family and work together to better america as one?? You do know that is a pipe dream?? After 9/11, you saw how everyone moved to work together and not so long after that, we all went back to the usual trend, does Obama have a plan to accomplish this?? If yes, how??

4)
Sen Barack H. Obama Jr. methodically touched all the sensitive demons that are clearly frightenable to many (politicians) in America today. He did this without stepping on any toes, without choosing sides, with pure sincerity, with supreme genuineness and with a crystal clear frame of mind.

If you did not watch the last general elections, then maybe you should get the tapes and do a rewind. These so alled frightenable demons are touched most every other week in america. What is new?? what new thing did this man reveal to us that we do not know of already ?? I mean what is his plan to tackle these demons? Hearing of these demons over and over is one thing but what is his plan to tackle those demons?? The democrats lured us with false hope and were able to convince americans to vote them in. It's over a year later and no result from their side on tacking these demons.

5) I still ask, what did you hear that was essentially brilliant and amazing?? What is it that bill cosby and the rest have said in the past?? What plan did they propose to tackle them then that failed abundantly What plan does this guy offer that you believe will not fall down the same hole as those before his??
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by 4Play(m): 4:05pm On Mar 22, 2008
Big B1:

The speech is brilliant and a pure sample of utmost originality

Lets see how you proceed to expose this "brilliance" and "utmost originality".

Big B1:

People were "wondering speechlessly"? grin How did you know that they were "wondering" if they were speechless? grin

Seriously,drawing a distinction between a set of comments and the person who made the comments is hardly original.We do that everyday even on NL when we insist that people should address issues and not personalities.

So what is special about this everyday distinction? You said he did it in a "systematical manner".Really?what would a "non-systematical manner" have been?

Interestingly,you noted that Obama conducted his denunciation in a manner that wasn't the way most whites would have preferred.I would also add,Latinos and Asians(who seem to be even more implacably opposed to a Black candidate than Whites).If he has managed to conduct his denunciation in a manner not to the preference of most whites,latinos and Asians(the bulk of the electorate),what then has he achieved?

I beg to differ,many people have chronicled racism in America without choosing sides,this is hardly remarkable.So he went through a history lesson in his speech,to what avail? How does that address the salient issue-why is a candidate whose entire campaign is predicated on his ability to unite the nation so closely associated with such a polarizing figure as Rev Wright? Even Oprah Winfrey saw the wisdom in leaving the church.

There is a difference between anger and hate.What were the "roots of his disapprobation"? Did Rev Wright have a different experience to Martin Luther King,who never engaged in such polarization.Is his personal experience as an African-American any worse than the millions of African-Americans of his generation who don't engage in such kooky talk as blaming whites for the spread of HIV?

Is this another example of "brilliance and originality"?

Sen Barack H. Obama Jr. methodically touched all the sensitive demons that are clearly frightenable to many (politicians) in America today. He did this with zero hesitation, without stepping on any toes, without choosing sides, with pure sincerity, with supreme genuineness and with a crystal clear frame of mind.

Many found him insincere on many grounds:Here was a man who condemned the likes of comedian,Don Imus for his "ho" comment telling Americans to have some understanding for a polarizing preacher that rants,"God Damn America"

Here was a man who claimed earlier in interviews that he didn't hear any of Rev Wright's comments,now belatedly admitting that indeed,he heard "comments that could be considered controversial".Politi-speak and sophistry simultaenously.

Here was a man drawing warped moral equivalence between Rev Wright and an honorable woman like Ferraro or even his more honorable grand-mum.In the case of his grand-mum,there is a clear difference between privately held prejudices(frankly,most people hold these,even Jesse Jackson noted his own fright if accustomed by a young black male in the middle of the night) and standing in a public arena and spewing incendiary and inciting remarks.What does it say that Obama exposes his kids to this bile?

Having said that,he failed to address the core issue:Why is a man claiming to transcend race and seeking to unite his country closely associate with such a polarizer? On this count,he failed miserably. No amount of sophistry or attempts to flatter people's intellectual pretensions could hide this.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by BigB11(m): 4:10pm On Mar 22, 2008
@Kobojunkie:
You don't get it.
Again, you're not in any position to be asking me questions. Please, kindly direct all your infantile questions to someone else.
No disrespect, we both belong to different league!
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by Kobojunkie: 4:12pm On Mar 22, 2008
Big B1:

@Kobojunkie:
You don't get it.
Again, you're not in any position to be asking me questions. Please, kindly direct all your infantile questions to someone else.

I definitelty know we are not in the same league. I happen to be the one who asked the question and since you answered, I felt maybe I could probe you and get some intelligent answers but I guess all I get from all is the same and nothing new. If you at least are willing to be forthright and tell us you are fascinated with Obama and all things obama cause he is black or like one of my friends put it "Obama is a fairly new guy and we are sick of the older dudes in office", that would be actually a straight forward and honest answer . I mean your own reason may be different but don't expect us all to just swallow whatever you feed us without questions!!! grin
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by BigB11(m): 4:15pm On Mar 22, 2008
4Play,
you have the rights to believe whatever makes you happy. And I think I do too.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by 4Play(m): 4:15pm On Mar 22, 2008
Big B1:

@Kobojunkie:
You don't get it.

Typical Obamaniac meltdown. grin Big B1 has reached the limits of his Obama defence.The whole Obama defence on NL can be broken down to: I love Obama because he has black skin.Everything else is pretense.
Re: What Do You Think About Obama's Latest Speech On His Pastor's Comments? by BigB11(m): 4:24pm On Mar 22, 2008
cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin / Proshare Invaded By Police Over Story About Otedola. / The State Of Secondary School Education In Nigeria. (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.