Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,230 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! (16409 Views)

In Maiduguri, E-Kanemi Warriors Hosted Shooting Stars FC / Shooting Stars Tweet About Maiduguri; Funny Or Inappropriate? / Moses Ogaga Is Dead (Shooting Stars Striker) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by coogar: 11:54pm On Mar 18, 2013
dayokanu:

I am not sure But Davidson owumi was an Edo boy I think he used to be team managed of benin Insurance. These boys too I guess were Edo boys but I think they lived somewhere in Osun State

they lived in osogbo - i had a chat with the fair one after the match. he said he did play for nepa osogbo during ASUU strike but academics and his parents hampered his football career.

Andre Uweh:
Uwem Ekarika is dead, it's a pity. James Etokebe was a one time director of sports in Akwa Ibom, while I met Mattew Onyeama at one Igbo function in Barking, London last year.

na wa o! that leventis team was solid.
andrew uwe, ogunlana, edward ansah and was there an ozogula there then? not too sure!
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 11:55pm On Mar 18, 2013
dayokanu:

I am not sure But Davidson owumi was an Edo boy I think he used to be team managed of benin Insurance. These boys too I guess were Edo boys but I think they lived somewhere in Osun State
I think they are not related. Davidson's surname is Owunmi and he is from Rivers state. He played for Sharks and moved over to Rangers in 86. He was the second highest goal scorer in Ngierian league 85 after Edema Fuludu of New Nigerian bank Benin. He retired at Rangers, became a coach and later team manager at Rangers. He was later a director of sports in Enugu state. Its a pity Yekini could not allow them make it to the Green eagles then.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 12:00am On Mar 19, 2013
coogar:

they lived in osogbo - i had a chat with the fair one after the match. he said he did play for nepa osogbo during ASUU strike but academics and his parents hampered his football career.

na wa o! that leventis team was solid.
andrew uwe, ogunlana, edward ansah and was there an ozogula there then? not too sure!
Ayo Ogulana, a very decent player, he later played for Nigeria at Algeria 90. Samson Ozogula did not play for Leventis but for IICC. He came from Insurance. I remember when Louis Igwillo of Rangers cancelled his goal at injury time. Then IICC played their home matches at Liberty stadium Oke ado.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by coogar: 12:03am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Ayo Ogulana, a very decent player, he later played for Nigeria at Algeria 90. Samson Ozogula did not play for Leventis but for IICC. He came from Insurance. I remember when Louis Igwillo cancelled his goal at injury time. Then IICC played their home matches at Liberty stadium Oke ado.

good old days, bro!
the challenge cup then was better to watch than uefa champions league. super teams like bcc lions, ranchers bees, abiola babes and of course, leventis. iwamyanwu nationale(formerly spartans of owerri) also did well in stints then.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 12:09am On Mar 19, 2013
coogar:

good old days, bro!
the challenge cup then was better to watch than uefa champions league. super teams like bcc lions, ranchers bees, abiola babes and of course, leventis. iwamyanwu nationale(formerly spartans of owerri) also did well in stints then.
The challenge cup matches were great. I remember Toyin Ayinla scoring an own goal in the final of 86 between Leventis and Abiola Babes. Leventis went ahead to win it after they had won the league. They were double champions that year.
A year before then, Abiola babes won it in a long penalty shoot out against BCC LIONS. Abiola went ahead with Dahiru Sadi with 10 mins. Dominic Iorfa equalised late in the game.
Good old days.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by coogar: 12:20am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
The challenge cup matches were great. I remember Toyin Ayinla scoring an own goal in the final of 86 between Leventis and Abiola Babes. Leventis went ahead to win it after they had won the league. They were double champions that year.
A year before then, Abiola babes won it in a long penalty shoot out against BCC LIONS. Abiola went ahead with Dahiru Sadi with 10 mins. Dominic Iorfa equalised late in the game.
Good old days.

toyin ayinla's back pass.... hahahahaha, i think he was bribed. to play a looping back pass from that distance and score should have been investigated. grin

1 Like

Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 12:34am On Mar 19, 2013
coogar:

toyin ayinla's back pass.... hahahahaha, i think he was bribed. to play a looping back pass from that distance and score should have been investigated. grin
And the keeper for Abiola that day, Raymond King should have parried that ball over the bar.
Anyway, Abiola later won the challenge cup in 1997.
While Abiola and Leventis lasted, Iwuanyanwu never won the FA Cup as well as the league. They were so close in 86 when Bummi Adigun equalized for Leventis at the semi finals. Before then, Chike Arisa had put Nationale ahead with 15 minutes to go.
The match went into penalties.
Leventis scored 5 of their spot kicks and nationale's Bengy Nzeakor lost his.
Nationale first won it in 1988 when they beat flash flamingoes 3 nil at Adamashingba.

1 Like

Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by coogar: 12:37am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
And the keeper for Abiola that day, Raymond King should have parried that ball over the bar.
Anyway, Abiola later won the challenge cup in 1997.
While Abiola and Leventis lasted, Iwuanyanwu never won the FA Cup as well as the league. They were so close in 86 when Bummi Adigun equalized for Leventis at the semi finals. Before then, Chike Arisa had put Nationale ahead with 15 minutes to go.
The match went into penalties.
Leventis scored 5 of their spot kicks and nationale's Bengy Nzeakor lost his.
Nationale first won it in 1988 when they beat flash flamingoes 3 nil at Adamashingba.

haba - nothing raymond king could do.
he was off his line and he dived at full stretch.....what was toyin ayinla thinking from that distance? although ekarika was pressing ayinla and ayinla from more than 20 yards just looped the most bizarre back pass ever over his goalie. it was so hilarious that a goal like that would decide the final of an epic battle.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 12:47am On Mar 19, 2013
coogar:

haba - nothing raymond king could do.
he was off his line and he dived at full stretch.....what was toyin ayinla thinking from that distance? although ekarika was pressing ayinla and ayinla from more than 20 yards just looped the most bizarre back pass ever over his goalie. it was so hilarious that a goal like that would decide the final of an epic battle.
Till thisday, Leventis remains the greatest Nigerian team I saw when growing up. This team won the FA cup in 1984 while in Div 3. They won the div 3 team without losing a match in 1984. In 1985, now promoted to div 2, won the league. In 1986, now in div 1, also won the league.
In 1987, the defended their league title.

1 Like

Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by coogar: 12:49am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Till thisday, Leventis remains the greatest Nigerian team I saw when growing up. This team won the FA cup in 1984 while in Div 3. They won the div 3 team without losing a match in 1984. In 1985, now promoted to div 2, won the league. In 1986, now in div 1, also won the league.
In 1987, the defended their league title.

but they never won anything on the continent, did they? i can't remember though. however, they had the man utd never say die attitude: the winning character!
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by honeric01(m): 12:51am On Mar 19, 2013
Didn't all these clubs you guys are mentioning go on relegation at one time in their lifespan? only Bendel Insurance didn't go on relegation until 2008 due to ownership dispute.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 12:56am On Mar 19, 2013
coogar:

but they never won anything on the continent, did they? i can't remember though. however, they had the man utd never say die attitude: the winning character!
In 1987,they got to semi finals of African club championship now champions league. Probably, would have later won it if not for the disbandment.
What a great team.

1 Like

Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 12:56am On Mar 19, 2013
honeric01: Didn't all these clubs you guys are mentioning go on relegation at one time in their lifespan? only Bendel Insurance didn't go on relegation until 2008 due to ownership dispute.
Rangers and Heartland has never suffered relegation till date.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by coogar: 12:58am On Mar 19, 2013
honeric01: Didn't all these clubs you guys are mentioning go on relegation at one time in their lifespan? only Bendel Insurance didn't go on relegation until 2008 due to ownership dispute.

rangers have never relegated o - top club. i always give them kudos for that. leventis never relegated too. they worked their way to the top before they were disbanded. their promotion was rapid!

Andre Uweh:
In 1987,they got to semi finals of African club championship now champions league. Probably, would have later won it if not for the disbandment.
What a great team.

why were they disbanded sef?

1 Like

Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 1:01am On Mar 19, 2013
coogar:

rangers have never relegated o - top club. i always give them kudos for that. leventis never relegated too. they worked their way to the top before they were disbanded. their promotion was rapid!

Spartans joined the league in 1976 and has remained there till thisday. Later Iwuanyanwu and now Heartland fc.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by coogar: 1:05am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Spartans joined the league in 1976 and has remained there till thisday. Later Iwuanyanwu and now Heartland fc.

so spartans are now heartland? wow
i stopped following nigerian premier league in 1998 circa. i think that was the last time shooting won it - not sure.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 1:07am On Mar 19, 2013
coogar:

Because of the inability of the then NFA to turn the league as a pro league. There were series of meetings between NFA boss the-Obakpolor, Chief Abiola, John Mastroudes of Leventis, Iwuanyanwu and Chief Osakwe of flash. The aim was to press for a pro league, but to no avail.
Abiola and Leventis felt they were making to much loses and can not continue. A 1987, was a sad year in Nigerian football.
Imagine in Spain, Barcelona and Madrid being disbanded.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 1:13am On Mar 19, 2013
coogar:

so spartans are now heartland? wow
i stopped following Nigerian premier league in 1998 circa. i think that was the last time shooting won it - not sure.
When you are off shore, it is difficult to follow the league because it is not shown in any station. AIT do sometimes show league goals on Saturdays. (You may subscribe to Ait int on sky 183). Its a pity that Ben TV will broadcast Ghana league matches instead of Nigeria's own.
I wasn't following 3sc when they were in the lower league.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by coogar: 1:22am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Because of the inability of the then NFA to turn the league as a pro league. There were series of meetings between NFA boss the-Obakpolor, Chief Abiola, John Mastroudes of Leventis, Iwuanyanwu and Chief Osakwe of flash. The aim was to press for a pro league, but to no avail.
Abiola and Leventis felt they were making to much loses and can not continue. A 1987, was a sad year in Nigerian football.
Imagine in Spain, Barcelona and Madrid being disbanded.

nfa have always been a useless organisation - i am not surprised. they just killed the soul of 2 good clubs. 90% of the green eagles players then were hand picked from those 2 clubs(leventis and abiola). it's like barcelona and real madrid or celtic and rangers!

Andre Uweh:
When you are off shore, it is difficult to follow the league because it is not shown in any station. AIT do sometimes show league goals on Saturdays. (You may subscribe to Ait int on sky 183). Its a pity that Ben TV will broadcast Ghana league matches instead of Nigeria's own. I wasn't following 3sc when they were in the lower league.

i cannot watch those games again o
in the last 10 yrs now, watching any nigerian football turns my stomach. i don't know if it's the quality of the european leagues that has spoilt me or nigerian football in general has regressed. there's no pattern, no coherence, no tactical plan or even formation. i try to watch AIT/BEN on sky every saturday and the football is nothing to write home about. i change the channel within 5 mins. i used to enjoy them way back but not anymore.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by honeric01(m): 1:24am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Rangers and Heartland has never suffered relegation till date.

coogar:

Are you sure?
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 1:30am On Mar 19, 2013
honeric01:

Are you sure?
What do you mean?.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by honeric01(m): 1:34am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
What do you mean?.

Nevermind,confirmed that Rangers and Heartland are the only clubs never to be relegated since 1972 inception.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 1:35am On Mar 19, 2013
coogar:

nfa have always been a useless organisation - i am not surprised. they just killed the soul of 2 good clubs. 90% of the green eagles players then were hand picked from those 2 clubs(leventis and abiola). it's like barcelona and real madrid or celtic and rangers!

i cannot watch those games again o
in the last 10 yrs now, watching any nigerian football turns my stomach. i don't know if it's the quality of the european leagues that has spoilt me or nigerian football in general has regressed. there's no pattern, no coherence, no tactical plan or even formation. i try to watch AIT/BEN on sky every saturday and the football is nothing to write home about. i change the channel within 5 mins. i used to enjoy them way back but not anymore.
One of the problems is poor coverage. The TV companies are so poor that they can not show better replays, slow motions, show goals, kicks from different angles. Stadiums are so empty and match commentators are so poor.
Watch a Nigerian team when they are playing in north Africa or in South Africa, you wont believe it.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by honeric01(m): 1:36am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
One of the problems is poor coverage. The TV companies are so poor that they can not show better replays, slow motions, show goals, kicks from different angles. Stadiums are so empty and match commentators are so poor.
Watch a Nigerian team when they are playing in north Africa or in South Africa, you wont believe it.

But DSTV has the sole right over the league coverage now and they're doing well. good commentators too.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 1:39am On Mar 19, 2013
honeric01:

Nevermind,confirmed that Rangers and Heartland are the only clubs never to be relegated since 1972 inception.
Heartland was not there in 72. Joined in 76.
With the creation of Imo state in 1976, the new state formed two new teams-Spartans and Enyimba. While Spartans joined the national league in 76, Enyimba joined the eastern league same year.
Enyimba provided bulk of the players that featured for Spartans in the league and to some extent Rangers.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 1:40am On Mar 19, 2013
honeric01:

But DSTV has the sole right over the league coverage now and they're doing well. good commentators too.
How can I watch it here in the U.K?.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by honeric01(m): 1:48am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Heartland was there in 72. Joined in 76.
With the creation of Imo state in 1976, the new state formed two new teams-Spartans and Enyimba. While Spartans joined the national league in 76, Enyimba joined the eastern league same year.
Enyimba provided bulk of the players that featured for Spartans in the league and to some extent Rangers.

Great, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 1:57am On Mar 19, 2013
honeric01:

Great, thanks.
The Imo state govt then found it so difficult to sponsor Spartans and Enyimba fc. Hence they relinquished ownership of Enyimba fc to Aba Township council. As a result of financial difficulties, the council handed it over to Falcons bottling company. The club was renamed Falcons until Amadi Ikwechegh's regime in Imo state. This regime bought it back from Falcons and renamed it Enyimba.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by honeric01(m): 1:59am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh: How can I watch it here in the U.K?.

Dunno,maybe you should go to their website to see if it's available for UK viewers. (supersports.com)
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by AndreUweh(m): 2:01am On Mar 19, 2013
My favourite teams are Nationale and 3SC.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by coogar: 2:03am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:

then what are the private firms doing about that? nigeria needs a murdoch. we have the population and the passion for the game.
Re: Shooting Stars Of Ibadan (Oluyole Warriors) Fan Thread! by honeric01(m): 2:03am On Mar 19, 2013
Andre Uweh:
The Imo state govt then found it so difficult to sponsor Spartans and Enyimba fc. Hence they relinquished ownership of Enyimba fc to Aba Township council. As a result of financial difficulties, the council handed it over to Falcons bottling company. The club was renamed Falcons until Amadi Ikwechegh's regime in Imo state. This regime bought it back from Falcons and renamed it Enyimba.

All these name name change self, too many begging club-sides, always waiting for the govt to feed them before they can eat, until i see a club like COD in the NPL, i can't really rate our club sides even though Pillars are doing great so far.

just check out the privately owned club side in the DIV 1. COD (City Of David) FC.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Qatar 2022: Alcohol banned around stadiums / Ndidi Will Be Back For Leicester City’s League Opener Against Wolves – Rodgers / Leo Messi Is First Footballer To Be Crowned Time Magazine's 'Athlete Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.