Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,296 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Iphone Lovers Come Hither! - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphone Lovers Come Hither! (3422 Views)

Strictly For TEMPLE RUN 2 LOVERS- Come Let's See What You Gat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by naijafan(m): 2:00pm On Mar 26, 2008
texazzpete:

but there are several outstanding nokia phones, eg the n95 and N81.
Where is ma sweet N82 ?

texazzpete:

What the iPhone presents is a full convergence device. Unrivalled Media playback, internet experience and a gorgeous interface makes things happen.
which unfortunately, is behind a walled garden. But really, that's what helps Apple maintain control over its products and their UI. . . by not fully opening things up. It works for them tho. tongue
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Neoteny(m): 2:34pm On Mar 26, 2008
naijafan:

Where is ma sweet N82 ?
which unfortunately, is behind a walled garden. But really, that's what helps Apple maintain control over its products and their UI. . . by not fully opening things up. It works for them tho. tongue

what exactly do you people mean "opening up"?

if its the sim lock, is that an apple exclusivity?

is it third party apps? we've had those long before the sdk.

is nokia open?

nokia too has locks (symbian signed) which steve jobs says formed the basis for the iphone security. in any case, iphone now officially will support third party apps so the issue of "open" should be laid to rest, unless you want source codes for os x.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by naijafan(m): 3:29pm On Mar 26, 2008
Neoteny:

what exactly do you people mean "opening up"?

if its the sim lock, is that an apple exclusivity?

is it third party apps? we've had those long before the sdk.

is nokia open?

nokia too has locks (symbian signed) which steve jobs says formed the basis for the iphone security. in any case, iphone now officially will support third party apps so the issue of "open" should be laid to rest, unless you want source codes for os x.

Not open in that sense. . . grin

I was referring to interface customizability. Every iPhone app will look the same at the end of the say. The iPhone and iPod will always require iTunes (officially). Its the same on the Mac, it wont be different on the iPhone. I'm not saying this is a completely bad thing. It doesnt just give 'complete' freedom in the sense of the word 'open'. Apple recently re-encrypted their iPod music database to prevent 3rd party applications from syncing with it.

This essentially gives Apple control over how its platform is used and how it looks to maintain a seamless look an feel across products. It works for them.
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Neoteny(m): 3:37pm On Mar 26, 2008
everr symbian app looks like every other symbian app. its a platform, for love's sake. the apps utilize the platforms interface therefore looks will be consistent throughout. its the same on every mobile device. the only interface customizability on symbian is to change color schemes and icons (theme, if you will) and on that count the iphone interface is more flexible because it allows devs to use different multitouch mecanisms to support interface control (swipe, drag, pinch) even the accelerometer can be used as a control mechanism, as againts pushing a five-way joystick and plastic buttons.

if its theming you want as already done on the symbian platform, we do that too on iphone via customize, stacks, dock xlauncher etc.

as for itunes, do you mean the store or the app? having a single online management point works for getting paid-for content. remember, itunes movies, music and podcasts are among the most varied and extensive in the world.

as for the app, well, nokia phones are managed via pc suites only abi? (not counting oxygen).

besides rumor has it itunes may soon be free. as in free access.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by naijafan(m): 3:56pm On Mar 26, 2008
Neoteny:

everr symbian app looks like every other symbian app. its a platform, for love's sake. the apps utilize the platforms interface therefore looks will be consistent throughout. its the same on every mobile device. the only interface customizability on symbian is to change color schemes and icons (theme, if you will) and on that count the iphone interface is more flexible because it allows devs to use different multitouch mecanisms to support interface control (swipe, drag, pinch) even the accelerometer can be used as a control mechanism, as againts pushing a five-way joystick and plastic buttons.

if its theming you want as already done on the symbian platform, we do that too on iphone via customize, stacks, dock xlauncher etc.

as for itunes, do you mean the store or the app? having a single online management point works for getting paid for content. remember, itunes movies, music and podcasts are among the most varied and extensive in the world.

as for the app, well, nokia phones are managed via pc suites only abi? (not counting oxygen).

besides rumor has it itunes may soon be free. as in free access.

The accelerometer came in the Nokia N95 before the iPhone. No need mentioning it like its some Apple magic. Recent Sony Ericcson walkmans too feature the accelerometer but in a silly way - They are for changing tracks and nothing more. At least S.E. should've opened it up via an API.

Dont get me wrong brov. My Nokia/iPhone battle days are over. Was just pointing out some issues with Apple as a company. Come to think of it, if i dont like iTunes or its interface, why cant i get songs on my iPod by just copying them in and have the iPod's internal software index the files and add it to its library. Why must it be via iTunes? Obfuscating the iPod database simply shows their unwillingness to allow 'easy' syncs without the iTunes application.

Ya dig?

And yea, touch is coming to S60 soon. heard of S60 Touch, Dont knw why Nokia and/or the S60 developers have been lagging in pushing it out. I initially felt the Nokia's next mainstream phone was gonna feature the S60 Touch UI, but na. . . N96 is still S60 3.1 embarassed

Symbian's UIQ interface on the other hand is 'touch' as we knew it before the iPhone. Word is that they are working on it to make it finger-friendly.

No need bashing Nokia. . . Apple just innovated true 'touchscreens' with the iPhone - which is real good. But please, dont bleeping enslave me to iTunes. angry
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Neoteny(m): 4:34pm On Mar 26, 2008
accellerometer in n95? thats news to me. where is it implemented? what does it do?

touch is coming to s60 soon. ok. a bit belated, and that was my whole point: nokia should have been there first. and don't start on stylus-assisted "touch" because we all know UIQ phones are not really user-friendly, and 7710 sux.

UI revolution should have been nokia's watchword. every s60 phone looks like evry other s60 phone. isnt that reason enough for spearheading change? why now when apple got their first?

i used to diss aple, but now im convinced that its the only comany that seriously makes interesting products whatever their faults.

enslaving you to itunes? well, its not like people buy these things unaware of how you load content into them. if your love of an apple gadget is sufficient enough to overshadow mere syncing with itunes <shrug>well</shrug> then go get it. if you can't live with the fiddle of syncing then don't buy the darn thing. me, i find syncing a breeze and ive been doiung it for ages since the ipod 2nd generation. infact that informed apples decision to go that route. in macworld 2007 he said they were selling their 100 millionth ipod that month. that translated into tens of millions of loyal customers who alerady know how to sync with itunes. and since you already have an established customer base, targeting them first makes a lot of sense.

they can always change the model later when the rest of the non-mac universe catches on.

and that includes you   tongue    grin
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by naijafan(m): 5:13pm On Mar 26, 2008
There's an accelerometer chip in the N95. The API was opened for developers but no one bothered until the N82 came and Nokia demostrated the chip by enabling screen rotation on on all states except when the device is in the home screen. Wondering why they didnt enable it on the home screen anyway cos the E90 runs the S60 UI in landscape mode (even on the home screen). There are lots of accelerometer-aware applications out there for S60 including one - Rock 'n Scroll that enables you to totally navigate your device via movements - including playing games. There are some accelerometer-aware games as well. that's another story tho.

you didnt have to go back to the stylus stuff. i thot i'd talked about that in my last post. You really dont have to be all up in your apple fanboyism. Its not a crime to love apple, but they aint gods. Apple achieved somethn by innovating true 'touch' enabled devices. Just like other companies have achieved somethn innovative at some point in their time. In fact, i dont like talking about the touch thing. Nokia is and wasnt obliged in anyway to be the first to introduce true touch angry.

I didnt say locking users into iTunes was a completely bad idea. I admitted it worked and still works for them right from my first post.
naijafan:

that's what helps Apple maintain control over its products and their UI. . . by not fully opening things up. It works for them tho. tongue
So, my dear friend. . . i dont see what point you are trying to prove there. wink

I was simply speaking from general point of view. Walled gardens arent the in-thing anymore. That's wats driving open source. . . AIM, Yahoo, and MSN where actively blocking external connections to their IM protocols. Google came and used an open-sourced Jabber protocol. Now, AIM API is open to developers. . . MSN allows exporting of their social graph, Yahoo will be joining Open Social soon, Lots of companies have signed up under the data-portability group. . . etc.

Think: Why wasnt the iPod database simply built in XML? or if they prefered a proprietary format, why cant the iPod software discover media files im memory by itself and index them. . . Things would be very much easier for users that way, you know? That exactly, was and is my point.
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Neoteny(m): 5:45pm On Mar 26, 2008
i promise i wont be all up in my apple fanboyism if you wont be all up in your nokia fanboyism.

if itunes works and you admit it does, then i don't see the point of your gripe. if if you think it doesnt then i have made my case. the thing is, you try to cloak your criticisms in seemingly objective pointers and in the same breath concur that everything else works.

why is it when apple comes with a breakthrough people sounding suspiciously like paul thurrott downplay it and make it look like a " been there, done that, big deal" issue but when nokia markets an N-x device people just ohh and ahh over essentially the same thing disguised in a new box?

it is not mandatory on nokia to come up with new technology, but as market leader it behoves them to lead the pack if they want to maintain its dominant lead. the most talked about phone right now is the iphone, and theres a reason for that.

and i really don't remember anyone saying apple are gods. no one mentuioned their other (great) products here besides iphone/ipod. the succes of these two devices say a lot.

if the "restrictions" work for them, i don't see why they should abandon that model. they are a business first and foremost, and their model works for them. people who buy their products hardly complain. why should they ditch what  works, to appease open source crusaders? whats the commercial sense in that? 

i don't properly understand your last line, the thing about "indexing from memory" etc. itunes uses xml as its database format, ipod uses itunes DB and the two happily talk to each other. so whats the problem? itunes DB works well enough.

all this xml/DB screwup is just to protect their content, however a lot of third party apps rip content off the ipod/iphone WITHOUT ituesn.

strange no one is moaning about the zune. grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by naijafan(m): 6:19pm On Mar 26, 2008
dude, i think we need to get back to the basics and leave it there. . . no one intended starting a Nokia/iPhone war. and I'm really not in the mood.

texazzpete:

What the iPhone presents is a full convergence device. Unrivalled Media playback, internet experience and a gorgeous interface makes things happen.

naijafan:

What do you call that? An attack?! I just made an observation and you initially got it all wrong. Now, you're accusing me of griping over somethn that works. Where in my original post did i state that it was that bad. . . on the contrary, i stated the advantage - Product / UI Control.

Well, at least, you learnt something new today. The N95 and N82 both feature accelerometer chips and yea, the 2006 Nokia 5500 (change tracks by tapping the phone, even through clothing IMHO a more innovative use of the chip compared to SE W580 and W910's shake control). grin
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by lynxnoon(m): 12:05am On Mar 27, 2008
Na wah oh see wetin my post don cause
Abeg guys i just want to know can iphone pc suite work on other OS apart frm Mac OS?
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by texazzpete(m): 9:56am On Mar 27, 2008
Yes it can.
download iphone pc suite and install it on your Windows based PC and you're set to go.
I made a post a while back about it, seach nairaland and you'll ind it.

@naijafan
iPhone PC suite can add songs to the iPhone iTunes DB. drag & drop and it's in!
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Neoteny(m): 10:47am On Mar 27, 2008
@naijafan

you neednt be so condescending.

@tezz

its in chinese. at least the pc suite i got is in chinese. help?
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by naijafan(m): 11:18am On Mar 27, 2008
@neoteny. . .

man that one na grammer

here's the link to the english version
http://rapidshare.com/files/102340435/iPhonePCSuite.zip.html

@texazzpete

na. i didnt say third party apps dont. if they didnt, apple wouldnt have to be obfuscating databases to stop it. Now, wouldnt it be cool if your standard file browser (e.g. windows explorer) could do the same thing?
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Neoteny(m): 4:05pm On Mar 27, 2008
already got a link for the english version from hackint0sh

but i can only use finder, all the other stuff dont work. im on vista ultimate anyway.
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Ivvie: 4:44am On Apr 11, 2008
|
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by boomtowner: 1:54pm On Apr 12, 2008
Good Day people i m on victoria island and i have an iphone i want to upgrade (i m in my late 30s)can any one hepl me?
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by logica(m): 11:50am On Apr 13, 2008
boomtowner, send ur contact to javaman21133@yahoo.com (phone numbers will suffice)

i am coming to VI to do the same for an acquaintance.
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by naijafan(m): 12:01pm On Apr 13, 2008
@logica
where do u stay? i'm on allen. we could do some somethn one of these days wink
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by logica(m): 12:22pm On Apr 13, 2008
ogba. but i spend the most time in GRA & Opebi.

u can send me ur contacts. Use same addr above.
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 03, 2008
Hello nairalanders,

Can someone please come to my aid, How can I love-vendor my iphone to do the following:

send / receive MMS

Send / receive files ( ringtones, music, etc ) via bluetooth

Forward SMS to some contacts

Copy and Paste a text.

SMS to display the sender's name etc

Please I really really count on you for your support.

U can also reach me on donrichiexl@yahoo.co.uk.
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by logica(m): 4:21pm On Jun 03, 2008
BBJ,

r u located in lagos? if u r, i will send u my contact phone anyway & u can contact me.

ttyl.
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 04, 2008
Please I still need help oooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 04, 2008
yeah. i stay in lagos
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2012
I CAN'T BELIEVE D LAST POST ON THIS THREAD BEFORE NOW WAS IN 2008!!!

I READ D THREAD FROM D START AND I MUST GIVE RESPECT TO TEXAZZPETE AND CO. I JOINED D IPHONE FAMILY LIKE 2 YEARS LATER.
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by 2kurupt(m): 11:41am On Oct 26, 2012
^^^Yeah, quite an insightful tread.

Annoys me that the screenshot (springboard icons & layout) on the first page taken since 2008 ain't so different from that of my iPad 3 of 2012 sad

1 Like

Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Nobody: 7:25pm On Apr 02, 2018
Neoteny:
just upgraded to 1.1.4

the first screen shows sprigboard icons set in rearrange mode.

i have three feature length videos (Surfs up, Die Hard 4.0,  and AVP2) and four pages on springboard.

screenies below

if you have any iphone probs (unlocking, activating, jailbreaking, upgrading, recovery, ftp, etc ) bring it on here.

Do you still use iOS ?
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Neoteny(m): 11:47pm On Apr 02, 2018
PRESENTATION:

Do you still use iOS ?

Nope.

Android so far.
Re: Iphone Lovers Come Hither! by Nobody: 1:53am On Apr 03, 2018
Neoteny:

Nope.

Android so far.

cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

TECNO Eyes Increased Sale Of Camon Phones In Nigeria / COD Mobile Or PUBG Mobile? / Nokia 6.1 My Worse Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.