Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

8 Rules For Writing Fiction - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 8 Rules For Writing Fiction (633 Views)

Writing Fiction: 10 Ways To Keep Readers Hooked [1] / 10 Sites To Get Paid For Writing / Looking for writing opportunities to make Extra Income? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Rules For Writing Fiction by Orikinla(m): 12:59pm On Mar 11, 2013
These are Kurt Vonnegut's Eight rules for writing fiction:

1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.

2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.

3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.

4. Every sentence must do one of two things -- reveal character or advance the action.

5. Start as close to the end as possible.

6. Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them -- in order that the reader may see what they are made of.

7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.

8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.

-- Vonnegut, Kurt Vonnegut, Bagombo Snuff Box: Uncollected Short Fiction (New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons 1999), 9-10.
Kurt Vonnegut: How to Write with Style
Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:31pm On Mar 11, 2013
Orikinla: These are Kurt Vonnegut's Eight rules for writing fiction:

1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.

2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.

3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.

4. Every sentence must do one of two things -- reveal character or advance the action.

5. Start as close to the end as possible.

6. Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them -- in order that the reader may see what they are made of.

7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.

8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.

-- Vonnegut, Kurt Vonnegut, Bagombo Snuff Box: Uncollected Short Fiction (New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons 1999), 9-10.
Kurt Vonnegut: How to Write with Style
should add more to this and it should be submitted for front page. Will check for a lot of other inputs, thank you dear
Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by An0nimus: 4:30pm On Mar 11, 2013
*Taking notes*..

1 Like

Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:35pm On Mar 11, 2013
An0nimus: *Taking notes*..
tongue tongue
Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by An0nimus: 4:39pm On Mar 11, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: tongue tongue
sad I'll write a story one of these days you'll see..Thanks Orinkinlasmiley
Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:33pm On Mar 11, 2013
An0nimus:
sad I'll write a story one of these days you'll see..Thanks Orinkinlasmiley
can't wait...wink
Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by EzePromoe: 8:29pm On Mar 11, 2013
Please somebody should help me check the story in my siggy and tell me what it lacked.
Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by repogirl(f): 9:20pm On Mar 11, 2013
I concur, especially the suspense part.
Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:53am On Mar 12, 2013
Please guys let's try to
Edit and revise our first drafts before posting, if we do that we might just need a little touch here and there. Not to just write and assume that people will do it for us, its very boring and drives people away from our work. Your first critic is yourself; you will need to go back over everything you have written and revise it to make it better .you will have a lot to fix. It's hard to let go, but sometimes even good writing needs to be deleted to move the story in the right direction. There might be huge changes that need to be made before you get to the next step.
Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by Mobsync(m): 2:42pm On Mar 13, 2013
My fiction has all that. It's a very interesting piece and I would be revealing it on NL and my new blog b4 the year runs out.
Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by Orikinla(m): 2:55pm On Mar 13, 2013
Since I lost 7 unpublished novels in transit, I am still lacking the courage to write another.
The rules are good and I was ignorant of some of them until I stumbled upon Kurt Vonnegut's rules.
Re: 8 Rules For Writing Fiction by Orikinla(m): 2:56pm On Mar 13, 2013
Mobsync: My fiction has all that. It's a very interesting piece and I would be revealing it on NL and my new blog b4 the year runs out.

Please, don't delay publication.

(1) (Reply)

Please, I Want To Know How To.... / No Matter What / Are You Between Ages 11 And 21? Do You Want To Be Published? This Is Your Chance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.